Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Quaker's Famous Oatmeal Cookies

Fantastic oatmeal cookies!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quaker's Famous Oatmeal Cookies

Recipe By :Quaker Oats
Serving Size : 60 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/Bars

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats -- uncooked
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt -- optional
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and
granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire
rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Variations:
Add 1 cup of any one or a combination of any of the following
ingredients to basic cookie dough: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate
chips or shredded coconut.

LARGE COOKIES:
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15
to 17 minutes. ABOUT 2-1/2 DOZEN

BAR COOKIES:
Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS

S(Website:
"http://www.quakeroats.com/"
Yield:
"5 dozen"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
Us: 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Joe: raisins
Todd: raisins and walnuts

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>BAR COOKIES:
>Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
>to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
>wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS

I made the bar cookies from this recipe and brought them to school
last year. Oatmeal cookie lovers (there aren't that many of us)
went crazy about the bar cookies. I had to tell everyone -- just
follow the recipe from the Quaker Oats carton.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Absolutely the best. My Mom's always come out in little mounds, mine
end up flat. I read the reasons why somewhere (overbeating the solid
fat? Butter too warm?) but it doesn't matter; they're all good!

maxine in ri

On Feb 19, 9:21*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> Fantastic oatmeal cookies!
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> * * * * * * * * * * *Quaker's Famous Oatmeal Cookies
>
> Recipe By * * :Quaker Oats
> Serving Size *: 60 * *Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories * *: Cookies/Bars
>
> * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *firmly packed brown sugar
> * * *3/4 * * * * * cup *vegetable shortening
> * * *1/2 * * * * * cup *granulated sugar
> * 1 * * * * * * *large *egg
> * * *1/4 * * * * * cup *water
> * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *vanilla extract
> * 3 * * * * * * * cups *quick-cooking oats -- uncooked
> * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *all-purpose flour
> * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *salt -- optional
> * * *1/2 * * *teaspoon *baking soda
>
> Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and
> granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
> Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.
>
> Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
>
> Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire
> rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
>
> Variations:
> Add 1 cup of any one or a combination of any of the following
> ingredients to basic cookie dough: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate
> chips or shredded coconut.
>
> LARGE COOKIES:
> Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15
> to 17 minutes. ABOUT 2-1/2 DOZEN
>
> BAR COOKIES:
> Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
> to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
> wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS
>
> S(Website:
> * "http://www.quakeroats.com/"
> Yield:
> * "5 dozen"
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES :
> Us: *1 tablespoon cinnamon
> Joe: *raisins
> Todd: *raisins and walnuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 1:20*pm, maxine > wrote:
> Absolutely the best. *My Mom's always come out in little mounds, mine
> end up flat. *I read the reasons why somewhere (overbeating the solid
> fat? *Butter too warm?) but it doesn't matter; *they're all good!
>
> maxine in ri
>
> On Feb 19, 9:21*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
> wrote:
>

> > Fantastic oatmeal cookies!

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * Exported from MasterCook *

> > * * * * * * * * * * *Quaker's Famous Oatmeal Cookies

> > Recipe By * * :Quaker Oats
> > Serving Size *: 60 * *Preparation Time :0:00
> > Categories * *: Cookies/Bars

> > * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> > * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *firmly packed brown sugar
> > * * *3/4 * * * * * cup *vegetable shortening
> > * * *1/2 * * * * * cup *granulated sugar
> > * 1 * * * * * * *large *egg
> > * * *1/4 * * * * * cup *water
> > * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *vanilla extract
> > * 3 * * * * * * * cups *quick-cooking oats -- uncooked
> > * 1 * * * * * * * *cup *all-purpose flour
> > * 1 * * * * * teaspoon *salt -- optional
> > * * *1/2 * * *teaspoon *baking soda

> > Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and
> > granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
> > Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.

> > Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

> > Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire
> > rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

> > Variations:
> > Add 1 cup of any one or a combination of any of the following
> > ingredients to basic cookie dough: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate
> > chips or shredded coconut.

> > LARGE COOKIES:
> > Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15
> > to 17 minutes. ABOUT 2-1/2 DOZEN

> > BAR COOKIES:
> > Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
> > to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
> > wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS

> > S(Website:
> > * "http://www.quakeroats.com/"
> > Yield:
> > * "5 dozen"

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> > NOTES :
> > Us: *1 tablespoon cinnamon
> > Joe: *raisins
> > Todd: *raisins and walnuts- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they were too warm when they went in the oven - I wonder if
chilling the dough a bit would help.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30:59 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

>>BAR COOKIES:
>>Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
>>to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
>>wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS
>>

>I made the bar cookies from this recipe and brought them to school
>last year. Oatmeal cookie lovers (there aren't that many of us)
>went crazy about the bar cookies. I had to tell everyone -- just
>follow the recipe from the Quaker Oats carton.

Thanks, Tara .... it never occurred to me to make them into bars. Much
faster and easier!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:20:25 -0800 (PST), maxine >
wrote:

>Absolutely the best. My Mom's always come out in little mounds, mine
>end up flat. I read the reasons why somewhere (overbeating the solid
>fat? Butter too warm?) but it doesn't matter; they're all good!

My guess is that she's using shortening, and you're using butter.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30:59 -0500, Tara wrote:

>>BAR COOKIES:
>>Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
>>to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
>>wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS
>>

> I made the bar cookies from this recipe and brought them to school
> last year. Oatmeal cookie lovers (there aren't that many of us)
> went crazy about the bar cookies. I had to tell everyone -- just
> follow the recipe from the Quaker Oats carton.
>
> Tara

nothing wrong with that - it saves you from having to write out the recipe.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:30:59 -0500, Tara >
> wrote:
>

>>>BAR COOKIES:
>>>Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30
>>>to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on
>>>wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 BARS
>>>

>>I made the bar cookies from this recipe and brought them to school
>>last year. Oatmeal cookie lovers (there aren't that many of us)
>>went crazy about the bar cookies. I had to tell everyone -- just
>>follow the recipe from the Quaker Oats carton.

> Thanks, Tara .... it never occurred to me to make them into bars. Much
> faster and easier!
>
> Carol

You can do the same to toll house cookies, and some sugar cookies too.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Experienced Member

These are delicious. My friend makes her own version of this recipe and brought them over last week when the kids were off. I served Kona coffee with them and it was soo good. She asked where I got the coffee so I let her know to order online at https://konaluna.com to get pure Hawaiian java, not blends. I asked what she adds to her cookies and she told me she puts mashed banana and and finely chopped almonds in her oatmeal cookies. They are really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] View Post
Fantastic oatmeal cookies!

* Exported from MasterCook *

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:55:09 +0000, mamasaid
> wrote:

>These are delicious. My friend makes her own version of this recipe and
>brought them over last week when the kids were off. I served Kona
>coffee with them and it was soo good. She asked where I got the coffee
>so I let her know to order online at https://konaluna.com to get pure
>Hawaiian java, not blends. I asked what she adds to her cookies and
>she told me she puts mashed banana and and finely chopped almonds in
>her oatmeal cookies. They are really good!

We buy our pure Kona from an RFC regular.
www.smithfarms.com

Gonna order some for the cook-in!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> We buy our pure Kona from an RFC regular.
> www.smithfarms.com
>
> Gonna order some for the cook-in!
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Thanks for reminding us Carol. I just ordered some. :-)
Elly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:10:53 -0500, "Elly" >
wrote:

>> We buy our pure Kona from an RFC regular.
>> www.smithfarms.com
>>
>> Gonna order some for the cook-in!
>>
>> Carol

>Thanks for reminding us Carol. I just ordered some. :-)
>Elly

You betcha! It's great stuff!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.