Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Milk cows into meat?

Milk cows into meat?

Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are being
forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.

So they say,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Milk cows into meat?
>
> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are
> being
> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>
> So they say,
>
> Andy

Farmers have to do something with them when production lags as they age.
Something to think about when you order from the $1 menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9BB5374311C30CotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Milk cows into meat?
>>
>> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are
>> being
>> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>>
>> So they say,
>>
>> Andy

> Farmers have to do something with them when production lags as they age.
> Something to think about when you order from the $1 menu.

Ed,

Heh heh heh heh heh!

What's $1.00 anymore! <G>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Milk cows into meat?
>
> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are being
> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>
> So they say,
>
> Andy

Beef is beef Andy. Not unusual for old cows past their prime to be sold
at the farm auction as "canners and cutters." Mostly turned into
hamburger, pet food, and leather goods. When they drop a bull calf the
calf goes the same route.

Feeding a dairy cow is expensive if there is no return. Dairy farmers
have always sold off their cows for meat if the milk prices drop below
feed costs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Van Chocstraw said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Milk cows into meat?
>>
>> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are
>> being forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>>
>> So they say,
>>
>> Andy

> Milk cows ARE meat. No difference between the cow and the bull meat.

Van Chocstraw,

While true, There WAS a difference between the dairy and meat cows.

The dairy cows had names come milking time!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley said...

> Feeding a dairy cow is expensive if there is no return. Dairy farmers
> have always sold off their cows for meat if the milk prices drop below
> feed costs.

George Shirley,

Yeah, but... but... while you're right...

IT JUST MADE THE NEWS THIS MORNING!!!

I ain't milked a cow in 40 years.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Milk cows into meat?
>
> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are being
> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.

It seems like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, but yes
they'll slaughter dairy stock for meat if the cows stop producing or
they need to artificially cut supply to meet demand.

Meat from a dairy cow makes good hamburger.

<now take me to some of them LOW milk prices, ya hear?>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Milk cows into meat?
>
> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are being
> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>
> So they say,
>
> Andy

Do you doubt it?
Ground beef doesn't require anything fancy when what it's made from is
on the hoof.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Milk cows into meat?
>
> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are being
> forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>
> So they say,
>
> Andy

Cow meat actually works better for some purposes than younger beef --
like making beef salami. Has something to do with binding to the fat; I
don't remember the details. If you're a sausagemaker, you want "canner
& cutter" grade beef.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

All dairy cows eventually go into meat - usually hamburger. As for cutting
into current dairy herds - yes - with milk prices down to less than what it
costs to produce the product - the supply will be cut - so the prices will
go up.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> All dairy cows eventually go into meat - usually hamburger. As for cutting
> into current dairy herds - yes - with milk prices down to less than what it
> costs to produce the product - the supply will be cut - so the prices will
> go up.
>
> JonquilJan
>
> Learn something new every day
> As long as you are learning, you are living
> When you stop learning, you start dying

There is nothing wrong with beef from dairy cows. I have known a few
people who had dairy cows and gave me some meat from the old ones who
got slaughtered. It was okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' said...

> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Milk cows into meat?
>>
>> Morning news reported milk prices have dropped so low that farmers are
>> being forced into turning dairy cows into hamburger.
>>
>> So they say,
>>
>> Andy

> Do you doubt it?
> Ground beef doesn't require anything fancy when what it's made from is
> on the hoof.

Barb,

I suppose dairy cows are no different.

Maybe it's just something about putting "Elsie" down.

Best,

Andy

Low milk prices have dairy farmers killing cows Lou Decruss[_3_] General Cooking 34 31-10-2009 11:39 AM
Cows With Guns! Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] General Cooking 10 25-11-2007 06:56 AM
More milk means more udder pain for cows torresD Vegan 0 04-11-2005 09:26 AM
Mad cows? jmcquown General Cooking 0 19-01-2004 03:04 PM
Jail the vegan abusers, babies need meat/milk! Zakhar Vegan 2 06-10-2003 08:02 PM