FoodBanter.com

-   -   Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/168204-can-you-use-baking.html)

Kajikit[_2_] 14-02-2009 07:36 PM

Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
for baking instead of baking powder?

jmcquown[_2_] 14-02-2009 07:46 PM

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

I don't think so. I Googled and found this site:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm

It states:

"You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more
baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda
when a recipe calls for baking powder."

Jill

sf[_9_] 14-02-2009 07:47 PM

Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:36:11 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
>baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
>never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
>for baking instead of baking powder?

I remembered seeing home made baking powder recipes discussed here in
rfc, so I googled recipes for you

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/re...kingpowder.htm

Here's a recipe for single-acting baking powder you could use in old
recipes calling for Royal brand.

* 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
* 1 tablespoon baking soda
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...1/bakingpowder

1/4 cup cream of tartar
2 tablespoons baking soda

* Sift together cream of tartar and baking soda 3 times, then transfer to a clean dry jar and seal tightly.

Cooks' notes: Baking powder keeps in a cool, dark place 6 weeks.
Homemade baking powder can be used in any recipe calling for
commercial baking powder (and in the same quantity).

Mae West

Mark Thorson 14-02-2009 09:02 PM

Kajikit wrote:

> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

Many years ago, I was probably about 11 or 12,
my mom got a book from the library on southern
cooking, and it had a recipe for soda muffins
which I believe used baking soda as the leavener.
What I remember more clearly was that it required
beating the dough with a hammer. That sounded
interesting, so I made the recipe, and I sure
gave that dough a sound beating.

As I recall, the muffins were quite dense.
I would not count it among my culinary successes.

I believe it was from one of the Time-Life series
of books. Great photography, good writing, but
I'm skeptical whether the editors actually made
any of the recipes.

Paul M. Cook 14-02-2009 09:06 PM

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

Nope.

Paul

Dimitri 14-02-2009 09:11 PM

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

Not unless you have cream of tartar.

Making Baking Powder

You need baking soda and cream of tartar to make baking powder.

Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. For example, mix 2 tsp
cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.
Use the amount of baking powder called for by the recipe. No matter how much
homemade baking powder you made, if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 tsp, add
exactly 1-1/2 tsp of your mixture.

Cream of tartar is used to increase the acidity of a mixture. So, you can't
always use baking soda in recipes that call for baking powder. You can
switch baking powder for baking soda, however, just expect the flavor to
change a little.

Dimitri

Kajikit[_2_] 14-02-2009 10:25 PM

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:47:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:36:11 -0500, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
>>baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
>>never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
>>for baking instead of baking powder?

>I remembered seeing home made baking powder recipes discussed here in
>rfc, so I googled recipes for you
>
>http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/re...kingpowder.htm
>
>Here's a recipe for single-acting baking powder you could use in old
>recipes calling for Royal brand.
>
> * 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
> * 1 tablespoon baking soda
> * 1 tablespoon cornstarch
>
>http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...1/bakingpowder
>
> 1/4 cup cream of tartar
> 2 tablespoons baking soda
>
> * Sift together cream of tartar and baking soda 3 times, then transfer to a clean dry jar and seal tightly.
>
>Cooks' notes: Baking powder keeps in a cool, dark place 6 weeks.
>Homemade baking powder can be used in any recipe calling for
>commercial baking powder (and in the same quantity).

Thanks SF! Alas we don't have any cream of tartar in the cupboard.
I've never even used it! But the problem is moot - I had to go to the
store for a few essentials so I picked up a new container of baking
powder while I was there.

Now why do they call it BAKING soda if it's not actually used for
baking? What IS it useful for aside from scrubbing the grunge off
stoves and sinks? I used to clean the stove with it but the new stove
is glass and I switched to a special stovetop cleaner that works
wonders.

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 14-02-2009 11:01 PM

Kajikit wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:47:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

snip
> Now why do they call it BAKING soda if it's not actually used for
> baking? What IS it useful for aside from scrubbing the grunge off
> stoves and sinks? I used to clean the stove with it but the new stove
> is glass and I switched to a special stovetop cleaner that works
> wonders.

But it is used for baking. You need to get on your computer and look it up.
Janet

sf[_9_] 15-02-2009 12:25 AM

Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:25:46 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Now why do they call it BAKING soda if it's not actually used for
>baking? What IS it useful for aside from scrubbing the grunge off
>stoves and sinks? I used to clean the stove with it but the new stove
>is glass and I switched to a special stovetop cleaner that works
>wonders.

Here's some information http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html
and recipes http://www.armhammer.com/myhome/recipe.asp (IE is best)

Mae West

Omelet[_7_] 15-02-2009 12:26 AM

Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

No.

You have to combine it with an acid. Mom always used Cream of Tartar or
Yogurt.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Rhonda Anderson[_1_] 15-02-2009 10:34 AM

Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> Now why do they call it BAKING soda if it's not actually used for
> baking? What IS it useful for aside from scrubbing the grunge off
> stoves and sinks? I used to clean the stove with it but the new stove
> is glass and I switched to a special stovetop cleaner that works
> wonders.

But it is used for baking. Being an Aussie you might know it better as
bicarb soda. If you've ever made Anzacs you've used it.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Bobo Bonobo® 15-02-2009 11:35 AM

On Feb 14, 1:46*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Kajikit" > wrote in message

> > We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> > baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> > never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> > for baking instead of baking powder?

> I don't think so. *I Googled and found this site:
>
> http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm
>
> It states:
>
> "You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more
> baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda
> when a recipe calls for baking powder."

On Friday, I made biscuits, and having no buttermilk I used extra
baking powder instead of the buttermilk/soda combo. They rose fine,
but weren't all that good because I was also out of cake flour, and
had to use all purpose.

> Jill

--Bryan

Lynn from Fargo 15-02-2009 04:43 PM

On Feb 14, 3:02*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Kajikit wrote:
>
> > We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> > baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> > never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> > for baking instead of baking powder?

> Many years ago, I was probably about 11 or 12,
> my mom got a book from the library on southern
> cooking, and it had a recipe for soda muffins
> which I believe used baking soda as the leavener.
> What I remember more clearly was that it required
> beating the dough with a hammer. *That sounded
> interesting, so I made the recipe, and I sure
> gave that dough a sound beating.
>
> As I recall, the muffins were quite dense.
> I would not count it among my culinary successes.
>
> I believe it was from one of the Time-Life series
> of books. *Great photography, good writing, but
> I'm skeptical whether the editors actually made
> any of the recipes.

I made that recipe years ago. I expected them to be light but they
were like "common crackers" (rocks) from New England. Damn near wore
my arm out. They're called Beaten Biscuits and served with Smithfield
or other country cured hams.

Time Life "Foods of the World" is a wonderful series - out of print
for years, but one can often find single copies in second hand
bookstores and Ebay. The recipes were all tested - many by Michael
Field (RIP). My favorite cookbooks ever: photos by Life and text from
some really great writers - not always food professionals, but
definitely food lovers. For a number of them, the books were the
foods of their childhoods. They read like novels.
Lynn in Fargo
Lynn in Fargo

blake murphy[_2_] 15-02-2009 05:08 PM

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:02:04 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Kajikit wrote:
>>
>> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
>> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
>> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
>> for baking instead of baking powder?

> Many years ago, I was probably about 11 or 12,
> my mom got a book from the library on southern
> cooking, and it had a recipe for soda muffins
> which I believe used baking soda as the leavener.
> What I remember more clearly was that it required
> beating the dough with a hammer. That sounded
> interesting, so I made the recipe, and I sure
> gave that dough a sound beating.
>
> As I recall, the muffins were quite dense.
> I would not count it among my culinary successes.
>
> I believe it was from one of the Time-Life series
> of books. Great photography, good writing, but
> I'm skeptical whether the editors actually made
> any of the recipes.

sounds like 'beaten biscuits,' which some liken to hardtack:

<http://www.chefrick.com/beaten-biscuits/>

<http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1248/Recipe.cfm>

your pal,
blake

Arri London 15-02-2009 05:41 PM

Kajikit wrote:

> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

You'd need to add something acidic to get much leavening power in most
recipes. Traditional Irish soda bread uses 'bread soda', which is baking
soda, plus soured or buttermilk to provide the acid. Give it a try.

Arri London 15-02-2009 05:43 PM

Kajikit wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:47:12 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:36:11 -0500, Kajikit >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> >>baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> >>never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> >>for baking instead of baking powder?

> >I remembered seeing home made baking powder recipes discussed here in
> >rfc, so I googled recipes for you
> >
> >http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/re...kingpowder.htm
> >
> >Here's a recipe for single-acting baking powder you could use in old
> >recipes calling for Royal brand.
> >
> > * 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
> > * 1 tablespoon baking soda
> > * 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> >
> >http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...1/bakingpowder
> >
> > 1/4 cup cream of tartar
> > 2 tablespoons baking soda
> >
> > * Sift together cream of tartar and baking soda 3 times, then transfer to a clean dry jar and seal tightly.
> >
> >Cooks' notes: Baking powder keeps in a cool, dark place 6 weeks.
> >Homemade baking powder can be used in any recipe calling for
> >commercial baking powder (and in the same quantity).

> Thanks SF! Alas we don't have any cream of tartar in the cupboard.
> I've never even used it! But the problem is moot - I had to go to the
> store for a few essentials so I picked up a new container of baking
> powder while I was there.
>
> Now why do they call it BAKING soda if it's not actually used for
> baking? What IS it useful for aside from scrubbing the grunge off
> stoves and sinks? I used to clean the stove with it but the new stove
> is glass and I switched to a special stovetop cleaner that works
> wonders.

It is used in baking. Just ask the experts:
http://www.armhammer.com/myhome/recipe.asp

Jean B.[_1_] 15-02-2009 06:06 PM

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Feb 14, 3:02 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> Kajikit wrote:
>>
>>> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
>>> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
>>> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
>>> for baking instead of baking powder?

>> Many years ago, I was probably about 11 or 12,
>> my mom got a book from the library on southern
>> cooking, and it had a recipe for soda muffins
>> which I believe used baking soda as the leavener.
>> What I remember more clearly was that it required
>> beating the dough with a hammer. That sounded
>> interesting, so I made the recipe, and I sure
>> gave that dough a sound beating.
>>
>> As I recall, the muffins were quite dense.
>> I would not count it among my culinary successes.
>>
>> I believe it was from one of the Time-Life series
>> of books. Great photography, good writing, but
>> I'm skeptical whether the editors actually made
>> any of the recipes.

> I made that recipe years ago. I expected them to be light but they
> were like "common crackers" (rocks) from New England. Damn near wore
> my arm out. They're called Beaten Biscuits and served with Smithfield
> or other country cured hams.
>
> Time Life "Foods of the World" is a wonderful series - out of print
> for years, but one can often find single copies in second hand
> bookstores and Ebay. The recipes were all tested - many by Michael
> Field (RIP). My favorite cookbooks ever: photos by Life and text from
> some really great writers - not always food professionals, but
> definitely food lovers. For a number of them, the books were the
> foods of their childhoods. They read like novels.
> Lynn in Fargo

Back when that series came out, there were few, if any, books
available here on some of the cuisines TL covered. So the recipes
really were my introduction to some regional foods.

--
Jean B.

Phred 17-02-2009 01:56 PM

In article >, Kajikit > wrote:
>We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
>baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
>never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
>for baking instead of baking powder?

I've always understodd that "baking powder" is no more than a
commercial pre-mix of baking soda and cream of tartar.

AIUI, the reaction of baking soda and cream of tartar releases CO2 and
this gas then causes the brew to "rise" during the cooking process
(including the "standing" period, if any).

Whichever way you go, you basically end up with "self raising flour",
so you don't need to store two bags of flour in your pantry. You just
need the one bag of plain flour plus a couple of small packets of
long-life chemicals (if you go the combo route).

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID