Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

"Serene Vannoy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> http://www.thyca.org/Cookbook.pdf

> Yep. Thanks! They also have a pretty great listserv. It's really helped
> me get support and research pointers.

Seemed so! If you get a hankering for something specific, I'm pretty good
at adapting recipes for special needs.

Best advice I can give is vicarious from others and things you already
mentioned. You wont feel much like cooking for them 2 weeks so may want to
advance make a few meals. Just simple things but you won't be able to trust
even a store bought broth.

I'm afraid the mass majority of my 'fast and easy' cookery uses things off
limits to you just now but I have a few that are tastey and cook quick which
would work.

I do so love my spinach! I am pretty sure that was an 'ok' item but butter
was out, so sesame oil (if ok, didnt notice it one way or the other) can
give it a little kick with non-iodized salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, Steve, I have stated that a deliberate attempt at
> losing weight does work for some people, including myself,
> but I also know that the same attempt by some other people is
> not as effective. I am still overweight, but I am also still
> losing weight. I also know that many people who are overweight
> are happy with their own situation and I don't find that or
> them disgusting. I didn't think we had a difference of opinion,
> but it may have been a difference in interpretation. Life is
> much to short to quibble over someone's physical attributes,
> or certainly not to hold that against them. I have known some
> rather overweight women whom I considered "grand ladies" in the
> kindest sense of the word. I have also known some overweight
> people who were very unhappy with their weight, but had never
> tried to do any thing about it. I felt that was sad.

I wish to poke at just the last two sentences. How do you know they
had never tried to do anything about their weight? Many people
try once, or twice, with a well-thought-out approach to losing
weight, but it fails to achieve sustained results. They then,
apprising themselves of what is known about weight loss, conclude
they are among the group that shouldn't keep trying, because
the result will be yoyo dieting and probable weight gain.

So if you know a person who isn't doing anything about it,
you might want to consider if this is because they have come to a
reasonable position on the subject, based on past weight loss attempts
that may be decades in the past even but which established
it wasn't going to work for them.

Just something to think about.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:37:14 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I have also known some overweight
>> people who were very unhappy with their weight, but had never
>> tried to do any thing about it. I felt that was sad.

>I wish to poke at just the last two sentences. How do you know they
>had never tried to do anything about their weight? Many people
>try once, or twice, with a well-thought-out approach to losing
>weight, but it fails to achieve sustained results. They then,
>apprising themselves of what is known about weight loss, conclude
>they are among the group that shouldn't keep trying, because
>the result will be yoyo dieting and probable weight gain.
>
>So if you know a person who isn't doing anything about it,
>you might want to consider if this is because they have come to a
>reasonable position on the subject, based on past weight loss attempts
>that may be decades in the past even but which established
>it wasn't going to work for them.
>
>Just something to think about.

YES! I hold steady now, instead of gaining. In fact, I've lost 20
pounds without dieting in the past year. But when I dieted and lost
40 pounds six years ago, I gained back 50. 25 years ago, I lost 30,
and gained back 80. I have "always" gained back more than I lost on
diets. So, I don't diet anymore. And I don't gain weight. And I
don't *usually* hate myself anymore. There will probably always be
lapses of insecurity.

Thanks for bringing that up, Steve. I believe I'm healthier this way,
both physically and emotionally.

I dress modestly.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lil' Wayne Boatwrong blabbles:

>There is a co-worker with whom I work
> closely who is very heavy. She always dresses beautifully, wears very
> becoming makeup and a very nice hairstyle. She is most attractive, in
> fact, moreso than many others in our office who might be considered
> "average" weight.

So Lil' Wayne works with a "fag hag", eh...???

I bet they trade recipes (and seKreTs!) and he takes her out disco dancing
with "the boys"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:40:57 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> "blake murphy" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Gosh! I always wanted to be 'tall but worth the clime' but I ended up
>>> 'short but worth the stoop'. (big grin as always!)
>>>
>>> Dang, I'd love to be 5ft 8! Positively lofty! Oh! and I could reach
>>> the
>>> cabinets without having to drag out the step stool!

>> do you have a grabber?

> Naw, step stool at home and when shopping I just jump up and down a little
> til some helpful taller sort comes by laughing and gets down what I cant
> reach.
>
> If I had a grabber and miscalulated, I might drop a can on my head which
> would doubtless smoosh me down even further ;-)

i don't carry my grabber to the grocery store (i do have a set of tongs in
my reticule to extend my reach a little bit).

you do have to be careful with the grabber, but to get one item, i think it
would be less trouble than dragging out the step-stool, unfolding it,
moving it into place, then re-folding it and putting it away.

on the other hand, you can more easily see what's up there with the
step-stool.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:40:57 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> >> do you have a grabber?

> > Naw, step stool at home and when shopping I just jump up and down a

little
> > til some helpful taller sort comes by laughing and gets down what I cant
> > reach.
> >
> > If I had a grabber and miscalulated, I might drop a can on my head which
> > would doubtless smoosh me down even further ;-)

> i don't carry my grabber to the grocery store (i do have a set of tongs in
> my reticule to extend my reach a little bit).
>
> you do have to be careful with the grabber, but to get one item, i think

it
> would be less trouble than dragging out the step-stool, unfolding it,
> moving it into place, then re-folding it and putting it away.
>
> on the other hand, you can more easily see what's up there with the
> step-stool.

Where do you get these grabber thingies? I'd like to get one for my
mom...and I could even see using one myself to get junk off of the top
shelves.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> http://www.thyca.org/Cookbook.pdf

>> Yep. Thanks! They also have a pretty great listserv. It's really helped
>> me get support and research pointers.

> Seemed so! If you get a hankering for something specific, I'm pretty good
> at adapting recipes for special needs.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. :-)

> Best advice I can give is vicarious from others and things you already
> mentioned. You wont feel much like cooking for them 2 weeks so may want to
> advance make a few meals. Just simple things but you won't be able to trust
> even a store bought broth.

Yeah. Tonight, I'm making chicken stock, schmaltz, barley soup with
homemade beef stock, tomato sauce, and cashew "milk", all to put into
the freezer. Tomorrow, we're going to buy 10 pounds of potatoes for me
to mash and freeze in one-serving quantities.

> I do so love my spinach! I am pretty sure that was an 'ok' item but butter
> was out, so sesame oil (if ok, didnt notice it one way or the other) can
> give it a little kick with non-iodized salt.

Ooh, yum.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 18 Feb 2009 01:37:14a, Steve Pope told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Yes, Steve, I have stated that a deliberate attempt at
>> losing weight does work for some people, including myself, but I also
>> know that the same attempt by some other people is not as effective.
>> I am still overweight, but I am also still losing weight. I also know
>> that many people who are overweight are happy with their own situation
>> and I don't find that or them disgusting. I didn't think we had a
>> difference of opinion, but it may have been a difference in
>> interpretation. Life is much to short to quibble over someone's
>> physical attributes, or certainly not to hold that against them. I
>> have known some rather overweight women whom I considered "grand
>> ladies" in the kindest sense of the word. I have also known some
>> overweight people who were very unhappy with their weight, but had
>> never tried to do any thing about it. I felt that was sad.

> I wish to poke at just the last two sentences. How do you know they
> had never tried to do anything about their weight? Many people
> try once, or twice, with a well-thought-out approach to losing
> weight, but it fails to achieve sustained results. They then,
> apprising themselves of what is known about weight loss, conclude
> they are among the group that shouldn't keep trying, because
> the result will be yoyo dieting and probable weight gain.

I can't disagree.

> So if you know a person who isn't doing anything about it,
> you might want to consider if this is because they have come to a
> reasonable position on the subject, based on past weight loss attempts
> that may be decades in the past even but which established
> it wasn't going to work for them.
>
> Just something to think about.

Don't need to. Of the number of years I've lived, and the number of people
I've know who have either battled weight or are battling weight, or have
simply chosen not to do so, I've heard just about every type of situation
and accept them all. Whatever they do or not do is a personal issue and
choice to them, just as mine is to me.

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Wednesday, 02(II)/18(XVIII)/09(MMIX)
He's dim, Jed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:31:43 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:40:57 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> "blake murphy" wrote

>>> Naw, step stool at home and when shopping I just jump up and down a

> little
>>> til some helpful taller sort comes by laughing and gets down what I cant
>>> reach.
>>>
>>> If I had a grabber and miscalulated, I might drop a can on my head which
>>> would doubtless smoosh me down even further ;-)

>> i don't carry my grabber to the grocery store (i do have a set of tongs in
>> my reticule to extend my reach a little bit).
>>
>> you do have to be careful with the grabber, but to get one item, i think

> it
>> would be less trouble than dragging out the step-stool, unfolding it,
>> moving it into place, then re-folding it and putting it away.
>>
>> on the other hand, you can more easily see what's up there with the
>> step-stool.

> Where do you get these grabber thingies? I'd like to get one for my
> mom...and I could even see using one myself to get junk off of the top
> shelves.

a quick google in my first post revealed these two:

<http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=6105456>

this is what mine looks like (don't let the 'as seen on t.v. part scare
you):

<http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ehms1_2039_5822675>

....but any gimp supply company would have various models. i would guess
that a pharmacy that caters to the handicapped would have a couple models
in stock. they do require some hand strength, don't know if that's a
problem with your mama.

you used to see the same item in 'country stores' (or hardware stores) with
high shelves and items that had sporadic demand, used by the proprietors.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:40:38 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> >Vermont Country Store has them but they're pretty expensive, I'll check

out
> >some pharmacies or wherever. Thanx for the advice...

> I think Harbor Freight has them.

I will check them out, thanx...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:40:38 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:31:43 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>

>>> Where do you get these grabber thingies? I'd like to get one for my
>>> mom...and I could even see using one myself to get junk off of the top
>>> shelves.

>> a quick google in my first post revealed these two:
>>
>> <http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=6105456>
>>
>> this is what mine looks like (don't let the 'as seen on t.v. part scare
>> you):
>>
>> <http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ehms1_2039_5822675>
>>
>> ...but any gimp supply company would have various models. i would guess
>> that a pharmacy that caters to the handicapped would have a couple models
>> in stock. they do require some hand strength, don't know if that's a
>> problem with your mama.
>>
>> you used to see the same item in 'country stores' (or hardware stores)

> with
>> high shelves and items that had sporadic demand, used by the proprietors.
>>

> Vermont Country Store has them but they're pretty expensive, I'll check out
> some pharmacies or wherever. Thanx for the advice...

it's not an exotic item, and shouldn't be too hard find. i mean, there are
old and gimpy people everywhere.

your pal,
blake