Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default slaw experiment

I tasted a bit of raw rutabaga a few days ago and was surprised that
it wasn't anything like a raw turnip. Very crunchy (hard, even) and a
tiny bit sweet. I'd already cubed it all for roasting, but I resolved
to see what it would be like shredded in a salad next time I bought
one. Make that the second time I bought one.

Last night, was that time. I peeled the root, halved it and grated
half like you would say an apple or a carrot for a salad. I made a
dressing with garlic (zapped in oil to cook it a little), fish sauce,
red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground ginger, some chopped fresh
mint, and lime juice. After the rutabaga shreds had marinated in the
dressing for half an hour or so, I tasted it. Pretty good stuff. A
tiny bit like Thai green papaya salad.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> I tasted a bit of raw rutabaga a few days ago and was surprised that
> it wasn't anything like a raw turnip. Very crunchy (hard, even) and a
> tiny bit sweet. I'd already cubed it all for roasting, but I resolved
> to see what it would be like shredded in a salad next time I bought
> one. Make that the second time I bought one.
>
> Last night, was that time. I peeled the root, halved it and grated
> half like you would say an apple or a carrot for a salad. I made a
> dressing with garlic (zapped in oil to cook it a little), fish sauce,
> red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground ginger, some chopped fresh
> mint, and lime juice. After the rutabaga shreds had marinated in the
> dressing for half an hour or so, I tasted it. Pretty good stuff. A
> tiny bit like Thai green papaya salad.
> --
>
> modom

Had no idea they could be eaten raw. Given that they seem to be luxuries
around here, not going to try them raw any time soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:37:46 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:
>>
>> I tasted a bit of raw rutabaga a few days ago and was surprised that
>> it wasn't anything like a raw turnip. Very crunchy (hard, even) and a
>> tiny bit sweet. I'd already cubed it all for roasting, but I resolved
>> to see what it would be like shredded in a salad next time I bought
>> one. Make that the second time I bought one.
>>
>> Last night, was that time. I peeled the root, halved it and grated
>> half like you would say an apple or a carrot for a salad. I made a
>> dressing with garlic (zapped in oil to cook it a little), fish sauce,
>> red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground ginger, some chopped fresh
>> mint, and lime juice. After the rutabaga shreds had marinated in the
>> dressing for half an hour or so, I tasted it. Pretty good stuff. A
>> tiny bit like Thai green papaya salad.

>Had no idea they could be eaten raw. Given that they seem to be luxuries
>around here, not going to try them raw any time soon.

I didn't check the price, but it surely wasn't more than the cost of
an equivalent weight in turnips here in Cow Hill.

As to whether they can be eaten raw, I had no idea either. Rutabagas
and I have no history. After sampling a tiny portion as described
above, I just ate one (or a portion thereof) raw and survived.

Flourished, even.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:

> Last night, was that time. I peeled the root, halved it and grated
> half like you would say an apple or a carrot for a salad. I made a
> dressing with garlic (zapped in oil to cook it a little), fish sauce,
> red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground ginger, some chopped fresh
> mint, and lime juice. After the rutabaga shreds had marinated in the
> dressing for half an hour or so, I tasted it. Pretty good stuff. A
> tiny bit like Thai green papaya salad.

The general premise reminds me of the venerable French céleri remoulade.
I posted a couple of recipes before.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:37:46 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

<snip>

> >> Last night, was that time. I peeled the root, halved it and grated
> >> half like you would say an apple or a carrot for a salad. I made a
> >> dressing with garlic (zapped in oil to cook it a little), fish sauce,
> >> red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of ground ginger, some chopped fresh
> >> mint, and lime juice. After the rutabaga shreds had marinated in the
> >> dressing for half an hour or so, I tasted it. Pretty good stuff. A
> >> tiny bit like Thai green papaya salad.

> >Had no idea they could be eaten raw. Given that they seem to be luxuries
> >around here, not going to try them raw any time soon.

> I didn't check the price, but it surely wasn't more than the cost of
> an equivalent weight in turnips here in Cow Hill.

Turnips are relative luxuries here too; cost more than potatoes. But we
never eat those raw either.

> As to whether they can be eaten raw, I had no idea either. Rutabagas
> and I have no history. After sampling a tiny portion as described
> above, I just ate one (or a portion thereof) raw and survived.
>
> Flourished, even.
> --
> modom

LOL we like rutabags/swedes and turnips but don't eat them regularly.
You can always do a Net search on whether some raw foodstuff is toxic
*before* sampling...

Hot Slaw Recipes MargW Barbecue 1 28-09-2009 10:02 PM
Dad's Slaw Salad Lori Johnson Recipes (moderated) 0 08-11-2006 05:03 AM
'slaw dressing.. ~xy~ General Cooking 25 08-07-2006 08:23 PM
Bayou Slaw Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
Wasabi Slaw Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 15-02-2005 04:46 AM