FoodBanter.com

-   -   Rice flour (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/167892-rice-flour.html)

maxine in ri 09-02-2009 12:38 AM

Rice flour

I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
there's some way I could get by with what I have.

maxine in ri

sf[_9_] 09-02-2009 01:04 AM

Rice flour

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:38:21 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
>combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
>I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
>raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
>flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
>there's some way I could get by with what I have.

Google "what is rice flour" and you'll find out. It's aka Mochiko. I
wouldn't attempt to make it myself.

Mae West

Serene Vannoy 09-02-2009 01:20 AM

Rice flour

maxine in ri wrote:
> I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
> combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
> I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
> raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
> flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
> there's some way I could get by with what I have.

I make rice flour by grinding rice.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Serene Vannoy 09-02-2009 01:21 AM

Rice flour

maxine in ri wrote:
> I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
> combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
> I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
> raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
> flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
> there's some way I could get by with what I have.
>
> maxine in ri

Sorry. I hit send too soon. I make it by grinding rice. I used to grind
the raw rice in my blender, but now I pass it through the grain grinder
on the finest setting.

Serene

Don Wiss 09-02-2009 01:47 AM

Rice flour

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, maxine in ri > wrote:

>I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
>combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour.

Hi Maxine,

Rice flour is available for a very reasonable price in any Chinese market.
It is also available in health food stores for too much money.

sf[_9_] 09-02-2009 02:46 AM

Rice flour

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:04:39 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:38:21 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:
>
>>I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
>>combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
>>I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
>>raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
>>flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
>>there's some way I could get by with what I have.
>>

>Google "what is rice flour" and you'll find out. It's aka Mochiko. I
>wouldn't attempt to make it myself.

OK, just came from the green grocer. He has milled rice flour there,
your green grocer might too.

Mae West

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 09-02-2009 05:14 PM

Rice flour

maxine in ri wrote:
> I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
> combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
> I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
> raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
> flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
> there's some way I could get by with what I have.
>
> maxine in ri

Rice flour is a cheap flour that is available at most food co-ops, health
food stores and places where they sell bulk. I keep a small amount around
for when I want to make specialty breads. The rice flour is very good for
sprinkling on cloth linings to keep bread dough from sticking as the rice
doesn't absorb moisture the way other flour does. It also works well to
flour the peel for inserting the risen loaves into the oven on the stone. I
use rice flour because it isn't as grainy as corn meal, it does have a
certain texture though. The rice is ground raw and is extremely fine and
sandy.
Janet

Arri London 09-02-2009 06:07 PM

Rice flour

maxine in ri wrote:

> I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
> combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
> I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
> raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
> flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
> there's some way I could get by with what I have.
>
> maxine in ri

You should be able to buy the rice flour where you bought the gram
flour. Keep in mind that sticky rice flour is made from a different sort
of rice.

To make rice flour, the rice needs to be washed, soaked for an hour or
two, then drained well and then ground/pounded. Sift it before using.