Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gingerbread

I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that happy
with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts_. But I
had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of tea, and it was
*fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of nuances which I'd
missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe redeemed, and here it is:

Moosehead Gingerbread

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 cup molasses, either dark or light
1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
1 cup boiling water

Adjust rack to center of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch square
pan. Dust it lightly with fine, dry bread crumbs

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves,
mustard, and black pepper. Set aside.

In large bowl of electric mixer cream the butter. Add the sugar and beat for
1 to 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Use a rubber spatula all
through the beating to help mix ingredients. Add molasses. Beat until
smooth. Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling water. On low speed
alternately add sifted dry ingredients in three additions, and coffee, which
will be hot, in two additions.

Beat only until smooth. Mixture will be very thin. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 35 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in
pan on a rack for about 10 minutes. Cover with a rack and invert. Remove pan
and cover with another rack to invert again. Serve warm or let cool.

May be cut into squares or thin slices. Frequently served with applesauce or
vanilla ice cream.

BOB'S NOTES:
1. I very strongly recommend trying this with freshly-ground spices. Old
spices can be quite muted.

2. I used freshly-brewed strong coffee rather than the instant coffee and
boiling water.

3. I originally meant to make Meyer lemon curd to go along with this. I
still might. I'm thinking that frozen yogurt, either vanilla or lemon, could
be even better than vanilla ice cream, since it's got that "tang" to it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that happy
>with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts_. But I
>had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of tea, and it was
>*fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of nuances which I'd
>missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe redeemed, and here it is:
>
> Moosehead Gingerbread
>
> 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
> 2 teaspoons baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
> 1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
> 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup molasses, either dark or light
> 1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
> 1 cup boiling water

Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I already
know you're nuts.

Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:

2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. very warm water
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for 3
minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean.

My addition for topping:

2 c. chilled whipping cream
1/4 c. clover honey
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
> already know you're nuts.
>
> Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:
>
> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
> 1/3 c. sugar
> 1 c. molasses
> 3/4 c. very warm water
> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
> 1 egg
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1 tsp. ground ginger
> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp. salt
>
> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
> ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
> seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for
> 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a
> toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>
> My addition for topping:
>
> 2 c. chilled whipping cream
> 1/4 c. clover honey
> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
>
> Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
> serving.

Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
icon.

http://www.starchefs.com/features/wo..._heatter.shtml

"Happiness is baking cookies. Happiness is giving them away. And serving
them, and eating them, talking about them, reading and writing about them,
thinking about them, and sharing them with you."
---Maida Heatter

Bob, with a sack full of nuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
>> already know you're nuts.
>>
>> Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. very warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
>> seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for
>> 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a
>> toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> My addition for topping:
>>
>> 2 c. chilled whipping cream
>> 1/4 c. clover honey
>> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
>>
>> Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
>> serving.

> Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
> gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
> icon.

Pedestrian? You're the one who thinks gingerbread should be some fancy
shchmatzy thing with a gazillion ingredients. Why not add Tabasco sauce
while you're at it? The recipe is from Pennsyvlania. And I AM Scottish so
STFU.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Pedestrian? You're the one who thinks gingerbread should be some
> fancy shchmatzy thing with a gazillion ingredients. Why not add
> Tabasco sauce while you're at it? The recipe is from Pennsyvlania. And I
> AM Scottish so STFU.
>
> Jill

Yeah, well a) Maida Heatter is a great cook, and b) Moosehead Lake is in
Maine, so her recipe has character.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Jill wrote:
>
>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
>> already know you're nuts.
>>
>> Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. very warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
>> seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for
>> 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a
>> toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> My addition for topping:
>>
>> 2 c. chilled whipping cream
>> 1/4 c. clover honey
>> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
>>
>> Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
>> serving.

>Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
>gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
>icon.
>
>http://www.starchefs.com/features/wo..._heatter.shtml

Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

We love Wayne Boatwright's gingerbread here at the Crash household.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rich Spicy Gingerbread With Lemon Frosting

Recipe By :Wayne Boatwright
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Frostings/Fillings

--- Gingerbread ---
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon grated orange zest -- optional
--- Lemon Frosting ---
1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- melted
2 cups confectioner's sugar -- approximately
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all dry ingredients in medium bowl and blend well with whisk.
Set aside.

In mixer bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and molasses. Beat on low
speed until well combined.

Add egg to mixture and beat on low speed until mixture is smooth.

Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with boiling water,
mixing until just combined.

Bake in greased 9x9 inch pan 45-50 minutes, or until firm to touch and
toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean (Do not check for
doneness before 40 minutes of baking, or it may cause the middle to
slump. If it appears to be browning too quickly, tent with aluminum
foil, but to not let the foil touch the cake.) Cool to room
temperature.

For frosting, combine melted butter and half of the confectioner's
sugar. Begin beating on low speed while adding lemon juice. Add
enough of the remaining confectioner's sugar to form a thin, very soft
frosting. Spread evenly over gingerbread and allow to set before
cutting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

NOTES : Iit's best baked, frosted, and seal tightly in a container for
at least a couple of days before eating, although it's hard not to cut
it right away. Both the flavor and moisture content improves on
standing.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
>> already know you're nuts.
>>
>> Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. very warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
>> seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for
>> 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a
>> toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> My addition for topping:
>>
>> 2 c. chilled whipping cream
>> 1/4 c. clover honey
>> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
>>
>> Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
>> serving.

> Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
> gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
> icon.

it's white gingerbread.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 07:28:37 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
>>> already know you're nuts.
>>>
>>> Mom's tried and true recipe for Gingerbread:
>>>
>>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>>> 1/3 c. sugar
>>> 1 c. molasses
>>> 3/4 c. very warm water
>>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
>>> 1 egg
>>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>>
>>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a mixer on low speed for 30
>>> seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for
>>> 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a
>>> toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>>
>>> My addition for topping:
>>>
>>> 2 c. chilled whipping cream
>>> 1/4 c. clover honey
>>> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
>>>
>>> Beat in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate 1 hour before
>>> serving.

>> Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
>> gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
>> icon.
>>

> Pedestrian? You're the one who thinks gingerbread should be some fancy
> shchmatzy thing with a gazillion ingredients. Why not add Tabasco sauce
> while you're at it? The recipe is from Pennsyvlania. And I AM Scottish so
> STFU.
>
> Jill

well, case closed. scots are not known for pedestrian food at all.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Pedestrian? You're the one who thinks gingerbread should be some
>> fancy shchmatzy thing with a gazillion ingredients. Why not add
>> Tabasco sauce while you're at it? The recipe is from Pennsyvlania. And I
>> AM Scottish so STFU.
>>
>> Jill

> Yeah, well a) Maida Heatter is a great cook, and b) Moosehead Lake is in
> Maine, so her recipe has character.

I dont' want to argue with you but who uses mustard in gingerbread? Have
you actually eaten Maida Heatter's cooking? That's the only way you would
know she's a great cook. Gingerbread is not supposed to be fancy. It's
pretty plain and simple quickbread when you get right down to it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 06:46:26 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts.

> I have quite a few recipes for gingerbread with coffee in them. It's
> not that uncommon.
>
> Christine

I think pepper isn't uncommon in spice cake type recipes such as lebkuchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 06:46:26 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts.

>> I have quite a few recipes for gingerbread with coffee in them. It's
>> not that uncommon. Christine

> I think pepper isn't uncommon in spice cake type recipes such as
> lebkuchen.

But we aren't talking about lebkuchen. Gingerbread is "pedestrian" quick
bread. It doesn't call for or need a lot of ingredients to be good. I have
a great recipe for spice cake, too. It doesn't call for coffee or mustard,
either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:49:22 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 07:28:37 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
>>> gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
>>> icon.
>>>

>> Pedestrian? You're the one who thinks gingerbread should be some fancy
>> shchmatzy thing with a gazillion ingredients. Why not add Tabasco sauce
>> while you're at it? The recipe is from Pennsyvlania. And I AM Scottish so
>> STFU.
>>
>> Jill

>well, case closed. scots are not known for pedestrian food at all.

In the case of gingerbread, pedestrian is better.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>Jill wrote:
>>
>>> Instant coffee in gingerbread? Pepper? You must be nuts. Wait, I
>>> already know you're nuts.
>>>

>>Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
>>gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
>>icon.
>>
>>http://www.starchefs.com/features/wo..._heatter.shtml

> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

Thanks, Damsel. I never heard of adding instant coffee and pepper to
gingerbread, forget about mustard. If he wants to call a straightforward
recipe "pedestrian" so be it. Sometimes simplest is best

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that happy
> with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts_. But I
> had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of tea, and it was
> *fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of nuances which I'd
> missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe redeemed, and here it is:
>
> Moosehead Gingerbread
>
> 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
> 2 teaspoons baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
> 1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
> 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup molasses, either dark or light
> 1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
> 1 cup boiling water

That sounds like an interesting blend of flavors, Bob.
It is filed for future use. It may have been the tea
that redeemed it, or just the overnight "aging" of flavors.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote:

> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But aren't
you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a pecan
pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new things?
That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> But we aren't talking about lebkuchen. Gingerbread is "pedestrian" quick
> bread. It doesn't call for or need a lot of ingredients to be good. I
> have a great recipe for spice cake, too. It doesn't call for coffee or
> mustard, either.

If YOU consider it "great" then its boldest spice is probably the flour.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Gloria P wrote:

> That sounds like an interesting blend of flavors, Bob.
> It is filed for future use. It may have been the tea
> that redeemed it, or just the overnight "aging" of flavors.

Even though the ingredients sounded off-the-mark with me, I was very
surprised how good this gingerbread was over others I've had. We aren't
talking tablespoons full of pepper or mustard anyway. I think I would
have preferred a little more cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Bob was right though -- it did seem to get better overnight.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 6:11*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that happy
> with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts_. But I
> had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of tea, and it was
> *fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of nuances which I'd
> missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe redeemed, and here it is:
>
> Moosehead Gingerbread
>
> 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
> 2 teaspoons baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
> 1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
> 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup molasses, either dark or light
> 1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
> 1 cup boiling water

Pepper I've seen in spice cookie recipes before. The mustard, tho...
MH is from South Asia?

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Damsel wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
>> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
>> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

> I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But aren't
> you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a pecan
> pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new things?
> That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?
>
> Bob

Aren't *you* the one who said I was trying to one-up Damsel in the drama
category? Which means you think she's being overly dramatic. Heh. She can
back you if she wants to but my god, you're really an idiot. Adventure
doesn't include *******izing a common (yes, pedestrian) gingerbread recipe.
It's like trying to add raisins to veal picatta. Stop acting like you're
12. It's not a competition, but truly, coffee and mustard don't belong in
gingerbread. That's not adventurous, it's stupid.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:06:03 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
>> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
>> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

>I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But aren't
>you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a pecan
>pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new things?
>That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?

Bleep you, Bob! After the past week, I'm done trying new things!
ROFL!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>> I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But aren't
>> you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a
>> pecan pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new
>> things? That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?
>>

> Aren't *you* the one who said I was trying to one-up Damsel in the drama
> category? Which means you think she's being overly dramatic. Heh.

Even *stupid* people figured out that I was being facetious. How utterly
useless must your brain be, that you couldn't figure out something so simple
and obvious?

> She can back you if she wants to but my god, you're really an idiot.

You just say that because I write things you don't understand. Then again,
so did Beatrix Potter.

> Adventure doesn't include *******izing a common (yes, pedestrian)
> gingerbread recipe. It's like trying to add raisins to veal picatta. Stop
> acting like you're 12. It's not a competition, but truly, coffee and
> mustard don't belong in gingerbread. That's not adventurous, it's
> stupid.

It's not my recipe, it's Maida Heatter's. Whether you've heard of her or
not, and by the COLOSSAL ignorance you're showing here I'd guess you
haven't, she is a world-renowned baker. She is a two-time winner of the
James Beard Award, and was one of the first people to be inducted into the
Chocolatier Hall of Fame. By contrast, you are nobody. You have accomplished
next to nothing, and it's far too late for you to ever amount to anything.
What do you have to show for your life? A trophy for "Best Attendance In
Third Grade" from 1960?

I tried the recipe. It was good. Everybody who has tried it has liked it.
You haven't tried the recipe, so you don't know what you're talking about --
but that's what we've come to expect from you.

Now go back to gumming your Wonder Bread, and leave the cooking conversation
to people who actually COOK.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

virtualgoth posted:

> Chocolatier Hall of Fame. By contrast, you are nobody. You have
> accomplished next to nothing, and it's far too late for you to ever amount
> to anything. What do you have to show for your life? A trophy for "Best
> Attendance In Third Grade" from 1960?

HOW DARE YOU ADDRESS JILL THAT WAY! DON'T YOU KNOW HER PARENTS ARE *DEAD*
AND BOTH OF THEM DIED IN A *YEAR*?

YOU SHOULD BE SENDING FUZZY-KITTY-PURRS TO HER INSTEAD!

I BET YOU LOVE *DOGS*!

Kitty, sending rumbling-purrs to Silly-Jilly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown petulantly scribbles:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> > Damsel wrote:
> >
> >> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
> >> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
> >> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

> > I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But

aren't
> > you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a

pecan
> > pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new things?
> > That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Aren't *you* the one who said I was trying to one-up Damsel in the drama
> category? Which means you think she's being overly dramatic. Heh. She

can
> back you if she wants to but my god, you're really an idiot. Adventure
> doesn't include *******izing a common (yes, pedestrian) gingerbread

recipe.
> It's like trying to add raisins to veal picatta. Stop acting like you're
> 12. It's not a competition, but truly, coffee and mustard don't belong in
> gingerbread. That's not adventurous, it's stupid.

Yet the only one blowing a gasket in this thread is you...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

> Yet the only one blowing a gasket in this thread is you...

Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse architect?
Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the Beatles,
so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with Ringo being
somewhat unlikely.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:35:40 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>
>> Yet the only one blowing a gasket in this thread is you...

>Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
>dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse architect?
>Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

Artist.

>I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the Beatles,
>so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with Ringo being
>somewhat unlikely.

John Willers.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote:

>> Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
>> dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse
>> architect? Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

> Artist.

Artist as in painter?

>> I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the
>> Beatles, so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with
>> Ringo being somewhat unlikely.

> John Willers.

Googling the name comes up with a bunch of hits in sturgisjewelry.com. Is he
the jeweler "by appointment to" the Bandidos?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:34:44 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>>> Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
>>> dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse
>>> architect? Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

>> Artist.

>Artist as in painter?

Yep

>>> I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the
>>> Beatles, so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with
>>> Ringo being somewhat unlikely.

>> John Willers.

>Googling the name comes up with a bunch of hits in sturgisjewelry.com. Is he
>the jeweler "by appointment to" the Bandidos?

I think he's in Arkansas or something. I am unaware of his making
jewelry.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The incomparable M.F.K. Fisher on the subject of gingerbread. From
http://books.google.com/books?id=DQK...sult#PPA290,M1

Tinyurl is down at the moment. It is worth cutting and pasting the
long link.

She does include mustard. I could not find any ginger in the recipe.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:39:40 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:34:44 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>>> Artist.

>>Artist as in painter?

>Yep

>>> John Willers.

>>Googling the name comes up with a bunch of hits in sturgisjewelry.com. Is he
>>the jeweler "by appointment to" the Bandidos?

>I think he's in Arkansas or something. I am unaware of his making
>jewelry.
>
>Carol

No "s" on the end. It's Willer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 7:34*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
> >> Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
> >> dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse
> >> architect? Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

> > Artist.

> Artist as in painter?
>
> >> I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the
> >> Beatles, so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with
> >> Ringo being somewhat unlikely.

> > John Willers.

> Googling the name comes up with a bunch of hits in sturgisjewelry.com. Is he
> the jeweler "by appointment to" the Bandidos?
>
> Bob

It's Willer... singular.
http://tinyurl.com/al9cjt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:38:59 -0500, your name
> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:39:40 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:34:44 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>>>Artist as in painter?

>>Yep

>>>Googling the name comes up with a bunch of hits in sturgisjewelry.com. Is he
>>>the jeweler "by appointment to" the Bandidos?

>>I think he's in Arkansas or something. I am unaware of his making
>>jewelry.

>No "s" on the end. It's Willer.

Dang! You guys sure have good memories! I was impressed that I
remembered it at all. Seems I remembered it more than once, though.
<G>

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> I have quite a few recipes for gingerbread with coffee in them. It's
>>> not that uncommon. Christine

>> I think pepper isn't uncommon in spice cake type recipes such as
>> lebkuchen.

> But we aren't talking about lebkuchen. Gingerbread is "pedestrian"
> quick bread. It doesn't call for or need a lot of ingredients to be
> good. I have a great recipe for spice cake, too. It doesn't call for
> coffee or mustard, either.
>
> Jill

Why are you knocking it without trying it? That's childish stuff.
It might actually be quite good.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote in
:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that
>> happy with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great
>> Desserts_. But I had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of
>> tea, and it was *fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of
>> nuances which I'd missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe
>> redeemed, and here it is:
>>
>> Moosehead Gingerbread
>>
>> 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
>> 2 teaspoons baking soda
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
>> 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
>> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
>> 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
>> 1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
>> 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
>> 2 eggs
>> 1 cup molasses, either dark or light
>> 1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
>> 1 cup boiling water
>>

> That sounds like an interesting blend of flavors, Bob.
> It is filed for future use. It may have been the tea
> that redeemed it, or just the overnight "aging" of flavors.
>
> gloria p

I think many of the spice cake recipes benefit from a little aging. I
don't think I've ever seen coffee or mustard in a recipe of this sort
before, but I don't find the pepper too unusual. I also think
gingerbread is one of those terms that gets used to refer to more than
one specific food.

The recipe definitely sounds interesting.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 08:34:41 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:01:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>

>>Meh.... looks pretty pedestrian. Is that supposed to be *Scottish*
>>gingerbread? The recipe I posted is better, and it comes from an American
>>icon.
>>
>>http://www.starchefs.com/features/wo..._heatter.shtml

> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

actually, the pepper and mustard sounded intriguing to me. isn't
gingerbread supposed to have a little bite?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:02:46 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I think pepper isn't uncommon in spice cake type recipes such as
>>> lebkuchen.

>> But we aren't talking about lebkuchen. Gingerbread is "pedestrian"
>> quick bread. It doesn't call for or need a lot of ingredients to be
>> good. I have a great recipe for spice cake, too. It doesn't call for
>> coffee or mustard, either.
>>
>> Jill

> Why are you knocking it without trying it? That's childish stuff.
> It might actually be quite good.
>
> gloria p

it's a way of life. good thing the recipe didn't call for panko.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:58:01 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> I made gingerbread a couple days ago, and at first I wasn't all that happy
>> with it. The recipe is from _Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts_. But I
>> had a slice of the stuff the next day with a cup of tea, and it was
>> *fantastic*. The tea somehow brought out all kinds of nuances which I'd
>> missed the previous day. So I consider the recipe redeemed, and here it is:
>>
>> Moosehead Gingerbread
>>
>> 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
>> 2 teaspoons baking soda
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
>> 1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
>> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
>> 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
>> 1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
>> 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
>> 2 eggs
>> 1 cup molasses, either dark or light
>> 1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
>> 1 cup boiling water
>>

> That sounds like an interesting blend of flavors, Bob.
> It is filed for future use. It may have been the tea
> that redeemed it, or just the overnight "aging" of flavors.
>
> gloria p

i was also thinking the 'aging' might have done it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:26:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Damsel wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, I'd try Jill's recipe before yours, Bob. I was excited when
>>> I first started reading your initial post, and then I ran into the
>>> black pepper and mustard. Not normal. Not NORMAL, I say!

>> I agree that it's definitely NOT a typical gingerbread recipe. But aren't
>> you the one who was adventurous enough to try that cheesecake with a pecan
>> pie inside? Have you lost that sense of excitement at trying new things?
>> That sense of simultaneous wonder-and-daring?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Aren't *you* the one who said I was trying to one-up Damsel in the drama
> category? Which means you think she's being overly dramatic. Heh. She can
> back you if she wants to but my god, you're really an idiot. Adventure
> doesn't include *******izing a common (yes, pedestrian) gingerbread recipe.
> It's like trying to add raisins to veal picatta. Stop acting like you're
> 12. It's not a competition, but truly, coffee and mustard don't belong in
> gingerbread. That's not adventurous, it's stupid.
>
> Jill

well, case closed *again*.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:20:59 -0800, Ailurophile wrote:

> virtualgoth posted:
>
>> Chocolatier Hall of Fame. By contrast, you are nobody. You have
>> accomplished next to nothing, and it's far too late for you to ever amount
>> to anything. What do you have to show for your life? A trophy for "Best
>> Attendance In Third Grade" from 1960?

> HOW DARE YOU ADDRESS JILL THAT WAY! DON'T YOU KNOW HER PARENTS ARE *DEAD*
> AND BOTH OF THEM DIED IN A *YEAR*?
>
> YOU SHOULD BE SENDING FUZZY-KITTY-PURRS TO HER INSTEAD!
>
> I BET YOU LOVE *DOGS*!
>
> Kitty, sending rumbling-purrs to Silly-Jilly

i heard the bird isn't feeling so hot, either.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:35:40 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>
>> Yet the only one blowing a gasket in this thread is you...

> Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
> dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse architect?
> Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.
>
> I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the Beatles,
> so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with Ringo being
> somewhat unlikely.
>
> Bob

i'm still waiting for a pope ringo. john and paul have already had
numerous turns.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:26:47 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:35:40 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>Greg wrote:
>>
>>> Yet the only one blowing a gasket in this thread is you...

>>Speaking of blowing, whatever happened to that craftsman-guy Jill was
>>dating? What was he, a cobbler? Macaroni-mosaic-maker? Dollhouse architect?
>>Jew's-harp-maker? Whatever.

> Artist.
>
>>I don't remember the guy's name, either, but IIRC it was one of the Beatles,
>>so that narrows it down to John, Paul, George, or Ringo -- with Ringo being
>>somewhat unlikely.

> John Willers.

gosh, i wonder if it's *the* john willers:

<http://sturgisjewelry.com/>

<http://sturgisjewelry.com/jewelry/skulls>

your pal,
blake

REC: Gingerbread jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 7 18-11-2013 06:25 AM
Gingerbread jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 07-10-2010 12:59 PM
Gingerbread Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2006 11:39 PM
Gingerbread Men Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 08:46 PM
Gingerbread Men Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 17-11-2004 02:34 PM