Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chard

Finally! I tried it and liked it. What's the secret, you ask? Salt!
Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
That's it! Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
that I don't like.

Method

Wash leaves, shake dry
Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
Cover
Turn up the heat and lightly steam

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Finally! I tried it and liked it. What's the secret, you ask? Salt!
> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
> That's it! Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
> that I don't like.
>
> Method
>
> Wash leaves, shake dry
> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
> Cover
> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:47:58 -0500, flitterbit >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> Finally! I tried it and liked it. What's the secret, you ask? Salt!
>> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>> That's it! Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>> that I don't like.
>>
>> Method
>>
>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>> Cover
>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam
>>

>I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
>bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

I doubt it. I didn't like it from the gitgo. I've even tried sweet &
sour vinegar on it, but that didn't help either. My grandfather grew
both red and green chard in his garden, but I didn't like it. I've
tried commercial chard from the grocery stores, didn't like it either.
This one was from the grocery store and I could taste the difference
between salt and no salt. Salted is the answer, AFAIC.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:

> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

It chard is what I believe, aka "cardo", it's due to the time they harvested
it: season starts around october and chards are bitter, then they get always
less bitter as the season proceedes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:38:04 -0800:

> Method

> Wash leaves, shake dry
> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your
> hands Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the
> leaves Cover
> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>Finally! I tried it and liked it.

Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:

> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

I don't find chard to be bitter, but to me it has a strange, metallic
flavor, no matter what the variety.

We grew some of the rainbow mixture last summer, and whether white,
yellow, or red stemmed and veined, they all had that flavor to me.

I don't mind spinach, kale, collards, etc. Just chard, and that's a
shame because it's one of the few things that grown like a weed here.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:47:58 -0500, flitterbit >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> Finally! I tried it and liked it. What's the secret, you ask? Salt!
>>> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>>> That's it! Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>>> that I don't like.
>>>
>>> Method
>>>
>>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>>> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>>> Cover
>>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam
>>>

>> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
>> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

> I doubt it. I didn't like it from the gitgo. I've even tried sweet &
> sour vinegar on it, but that didn't help either. My grandfather grew
> both red and green chard in his garden, but I didn't like it. I've
> tried commercial chard from the grocery stores, didn't like it either.
> This one was from the grocery store and I could taste the difference
> between salt and no salt. Salted is the answer, AFAIC.

As far as I'm aware, chard is pretty good in terms of nutrition, so if a
little salt renders it edible for you, I'd say go for it

I grow it every year and freeze most of it, using it during the winter
in vegetable soups and so on as a substitute for spinach (which I also
like, but don't grow).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> flitterbit wrote:
>
>> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
>> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

> I don't find chard to be bitter, but to me it has a strange, metallic
> flavor, no matter what the variety.
>
> We grew some of the rainbow mixture last summer, and whether white,
> yellow, or red stemmed and veined, they all had that flavor to me.
>
> I don't mind spinach, kale, collards, etc. Just chard, and that's a
> shame because it's one of the few things that grown like a weed here.
>
> gloria p

It's funny how different things can taste to different people; I love
spinach and chard, but find kale too bitter most of the time. I've
never had collards; they're not a common vegetable here in the frozen
north. Maybe the metallic taste you notice is from iron; apparently a
serving of chard delivers 4% of our daily iron requirement. It also is
a good source of magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese according to
this site:

<http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2399/2>

or

http://tinyurl.com/cxynq6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Finally! �I tried it and liked it. �What's the secret, you ask? �Salt!
> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
> That's it! �Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
> that I don't like.
>
> Method
>
> Wash leaves, shake dry
> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
> Cover
> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
chard is beets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> flitterbit wrote:
>
>> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
>> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

> It chard is what I believe, aka "cardo", it's due to the time they harvested
> it: season starts around october and chards are bitter, then they get always
> less bitter as the season proceedes.

Aaaah; presuming we're talking about the same vegetable, I thought it
would be milder earlier in the season when the leaves are younger.
Here's a link to some photos of the kind of chard I'm thinking of:

http://tinyurl.com/bhvslo

is this what you're referring to?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 22:46:44 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> sf wrote on Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:38:04 -0800:
>
>> Method

>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your
>> hands Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the
>> leaves Cover
>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>>Finally! I tried it and liked it.

>Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

Yes, I do like spinach.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Vilco" > wrote:

> flitterbit wrote:
>
> > I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
> > bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

> It chard is what I believe, aka "cardo", it's due to the time they harvested
> it: season starts around october and chards are bitter, then they get always
> less bitter as the season proceedes.

Cardo, sometimes called chard, is a plant in the thistle family as is
'cardoni'. Swiss chard is a variety of beet. I think it's 'bieta' or
'bietola' in Italian.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:14:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
>> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>> That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>> that I don't like.
>>
>> Method
>>
>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>> Cover
>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
>chard is beets.

If chard tasted like beet greens, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I *love* beet greens!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 9:07�pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:14:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
> wrote:
>

> >sf �wrote:
> >> Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
> >> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
> >> That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
> >> that I don't like.

> >> Method

> >> Wash leaves, shake dry
> >> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> >> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
> >> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
> >> Cover
> >> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

> >You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
> >chard is beets.

> If chard tasted like beet greens, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
> I *love* beet greens!

Okay, that leaves Barb out... but we can kiss on the lips... we can
enjoy a tongue sandwich too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Finally! I tried it and liked it. What's the secret, you ask? Salt!
> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
> That's it! Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
> that I don't like.
>
> Method
>
> Wash leaves, shake dry
> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
> Cover
> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

Ok. I've never had a "bitter" problem with chard and it's always been my
#1 favorite green. :-) I serve it with a bit of lemon butter (1/2 lemon
juiced per 4oz salted butter).

But, I'll consider trying that next time anyway.

I'm glad you liked it!
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" ha scritto nel messaggio > flitterbit wrote:

>> I don't like bitter-tasting things, but have never found chard to be
>> bitter; I wonder if it's a matter of the variety?

> It chard is what I believe, aka "cardo", it's due to the time they
> harvested> it: season starts around october and chards are bitter, then
> they get always> less bitter as the season proceedes.

Chard is bietole. Cardo is cardoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
> > Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
> > That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
> > that I don't like.
> >
> > Method
> >
> > Wash leaves, shake dry
> > Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> > sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
> > Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
> > Cover
> > Turn up the heat and lightly steam

> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
> chard is beets.

Chard is NOT beets!

Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 03:46:13 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> > Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
>> > Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>> > That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>> > that I don't like.
>> >
>> > Method
>> >
>> > Wash leaves, shake dry
>> > Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>> > sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>> > Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>> > Cover
>> > Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
>> chard is beets.

>Chard is NOT beets!
>
>Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?

From reading the scientific names of plants. Both are of the genus
Beta.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> I doubt it. I didn't like it from the gitgo. I've even tried sweet &
> sour vinegar on it, but that didn't help either. My grandfather grew
> both red and green chard in his garden, but I didn't like it. I've
> tried commercial chard from the grocery stores, didn't like it either.
> This one was from the grocery store and I could taste the difference
> between salt and no salt. Salted is the answer, AFAIC.

I think you're jumping to conclusions based on one
insignificant test. Salt will do nothing for bitterness in
vegetables. Perhaps you just bought non-bitter chard? (chard
doesn't seem bitter to me, anyway)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> Dumber Than A 5th Grader Omelet wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
> >> chard is beets.

> >Chard is NOT beets!

> >Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?

> From reading the scientific names of plants. �Both are of the genus
> Beta.

Omelet is the least educated RFCer, she makes certifiable pinheads
appear like Einsteins.

The Omelet's brain is scrambled... they don't come much dumber than
she, but she's got an alibi, she's your typical BB brained Texan...
her miniscule brain consists entirely of screaming mimi emotional
cells, no interlect cells whatsoever, she possesses zero ability to
conceptualize, or she'd have looked it up before engaing her one part
that works too well, her grotesque maw.

Chard IS indeed a beet... just because chard is a beet cutivar grown
for it's leaves rather than it's root doesn't make it any less a
beet. There are many, many varieties of both beet root and chard, all
are beets... some are even grown for sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/chard1.html

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/chard.htm

beet
Commonly known as the garden beet , this firm, round root vegetable
has leafy green tops, which are also edible and highly nutritious. The
most common color for beets (called "beetroots" in the British Isles)
is a garnet red. However, they can range in color from deep red to
white, the most intriguing being the Chioggia (also called "candy
cane"), with its concentric rings of red and white. Beets are
available year-round and should be chosen by their firmness and smooth
skins. Small or medium beets are generally more tender than large
ones. If the beet greens are attached they should be crisp and bright.
Because they leach moisture from the bulb, greens should be removed as
soon as you get them home. Leave about 1 inch of the stem attached to
prevent loss of nutrients and color during cooking. Store beets in a
plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Just before
cooking, wash beets gently so as not to pierce the thin skin, which
could cause nutrient and color loss. Peel beets after they've been
cooked. In addition to the garden beet are the spinach or *leaf beet*
(_better known as Swiss chard_), the sugar beet (a major source of
sugar) and the mangold (used as fodder).

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> It chard is what I believe, aka "cardo", it's due to the time they
>> harvested> it: season starts around october and chards are bitter,
>> then they get always> less bitter as the season proceedes.

> Chard is bietole. Cardo is cardoon.

Many thanks, Giusi
I hardly recall natural cardo, since I have always seen them already cooked
and ready in the dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:

> Aaaah; presuming we're talking about the same vegetable, I thought it
> would be milder earlier in the season when the leaves are younger.
> Here's a link to some photos of the kind of chard I'm thinking of:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bhvslo
>
> is this what you're referring to?

No, you're right, and Giusi too, this another kind of vegetable.
I confused chard with cardoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich wrote:

> Cardo, sometimes called chard, is a plant in the thistle family as is
> 'cardoni'. Swiss chard is a variety of beet. I think it's 'bieta' or
> 'bietola' in Italian.

True, and it is, in fact, kind of bitter. Hereabouts it's commonly used,
alone or along with spinach, to prepare filling for tortelli and cannelloni.
Usually the filling includes ricotta, grated parmigiano reggiano and eggs /
egg yolks, and maybe some breadcrumbs if it is not firm enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Don Martinich wrote:
>
>> Cardo, sometimes called chard, is a plant in the thistle family as is
>> 'cardoni'. Swiss chard is a variety of beet. I think it's 'bieta' or
>> 'bietola' in Italian.

> True, and it is, in fact, kind of bitter. Hereabouts it's commonly used,
> alone or along with spinach, to prepare filling for tortelli and cannelloni.
> Usually the filling includes ricotta, grated parmigiano reggiano and eggs /
> egg yolks, and maybe some breadcrumbs if it is not firm enough.

That sounds really good; I'll file it as something to try down the road!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

onnay

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
>>> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>>> That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>>> that I don't like.
>>>
>>> Method
>>>
>>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>>> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>>> Cover
>>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
>> chard is beets.

> Chard is NOT beets!
>
> Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?

Actually, spinach, beets and Swiss chard are all members of the family
Chenopodiaceae.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 03:46:13 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> Finally! ?I tried it and liked it. ?What's the secret, you ask? ?Salt!
>>> Yep, just a little salt sprinkled on the leaves before steaming.
>>> That's it! ?Salt covered up the characteristic bitterness of chard
>>> that I don't like.
>>>
>>> Method
>>>
>>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your hands
>>> Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the leaves
>>> Cover
>>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
>> chard is beets.

> Chard is NOT beets!
>
> Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?

he has a vast repository.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
flitterbit > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
> >> chard is beets.

> > Chard is NOT beets!
> >
> > Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?
> >

> Actually, spinach, beets and Swiss chard are all members of the family
> Chenopodiaceae.

But chard is still not a beet!
I sure as hell don't get big, edible roots when I grow it.
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 03:46:13 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
> >> chard is beets.

> > Chard is NOT beets!
> >
> > Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?

> he has a vast repository.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks Blake. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:35:00 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:

> On Feb 1, 9:07�pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:14:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
>> wrote:

>>>You do realize that Barb will never again kiss you on the lips...
>>>chard is beets.

>> If chard tasted like beet greens, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
>> I *love* beet greens!

> Okay, that leaves Barb out... but we can kiss on the lips... we can
> enjoy a tongue sandwich too.

that would be revolting with or without beet greens.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 22:46:44 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> sf wrote on Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:38:04 -0800:
>
>> Method

>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your
>> hands Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the
>> leaves Cover
>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>>Finally! I tried it and liked it.

> Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

james, you're such a stick-in-the-mud.

on the other hand, you probably eat duck feet, which i have yet to try.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> flitterbit > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Chard is NOT beets!
>>>
>>> Geeze Shel' where do you come up with this crap?
>> >

>> Actually, spinach, beets and Swiss chard are all members of the family
>> Chenopodiaceae.

> But chard is still not a beet!
> I sure as hell don't get big, edible roots when I grow it.

No, not a beet, but definitely related; according to Rodale Press'
"Successful Organic Gardening" book on Vegetables, that Latin name for
beet is Beta vulgaris, Swiss chard's is Beta vulgaris var. cicla; common
names for Swiss chard are silverbeet and leaf beet. The chard I grow
produces a huge root, but I've never tried cooking it; might be
something to try

There's a number of related vegetables where we grow one member of a
family for its roots and another for its leaves; think radishes and kale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit > wrote:
> Vilco wrote:
> > Don Martinich wrote:

> >> Cardo, sometimes called chard, is a plant in the thistle family as is
> >> 'cardoni'. �Swiss chard is a variety of beet. I think it's 'bieta' or
> >> 'bietola' in Italian.

> > True, and it is, in fact, kind of bitter. Hereabouts it's commonly used,
> > alone or along with spinach, to prepare filling for tortelli and cannelloni.
> > Usually the filling includes ricotta, grated parmigiano reggiano and eggs /
> > egg yolks, and maybe some breadcrumbs if it is not firm enough.

> That sounds really good; I'll file it as something to try down the road!

Cardone is related to artichoke but Cardone has no relation whatsoever
to beets/chard.

http://www.oceanmist.com/products/cardone/cardone.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:24:14 GMT:

>> sf wrote on Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:38:04 -0800:
>>
>>> Method

>>> Wash leaves, shake dry
>>> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
>>> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your
>>> hands Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the
>>> leaves Cover
>>> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

>>> Finally! I tried it and liked it.

>> Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

> james, you're such a stick-in-the-mud.

> on the other hand, you probably eat duck feet, which i have
> yet to try.

I've seen chicken feet as one of the offerings for dim sum but there are
limits even for me :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 22:46:44 GMT, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > sf wrote on Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:38:04 -0800:
> >
> >> Method

> >> Wash leaves, shake dry
> >> Shred (one or two inches wide) with a knife
> >> sprinkle with a minimum amount of salt and toss with your
> >> hands Place in a cold pan with only the water still on the
> >> leaves Cover
> >> Turn up the heat and lightly steam

> >>Finally! I tried it and liked it.

> > Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

> james, you're such a stick-in-the-mud.
>
> on the other hand, you probably eat duck feet, which i have yet to try.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Don't underestimate duck feet Blake. :-d
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
flitterbit > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > flitterbit > wrote:

> >> Actually, spinach, beets and Swiss chard are all members of the family
> >> Chenopodiaceae.

> > But chard is still not a beet!
> > I sure as hell don't get big, edible roots when I grow it.
> > >

> No, not a beet, but definitely related; according to Rodale Press'
> "Successful Organic Gardening" book on Vegetables, that Latin name for
> beet is Beta vulgaris, Swiss chard's is Beta vulgaris var. cicla; common
> names for Swiss chard are silverbeet and leaf beet. The chard I grow
> produces a huge root, but I've never tried cooking it; might be
> something to try
>
> There's a number of related vegetables where we grow one member of a
> family for its roots and another for its leaves; think radishes and kale.

They may be related babe, but they are still not a beet dammit! ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> blake wrote on Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:24:14 GMT:

> >> Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

> > james, you're such a stick-in-the-mud.

> > on the other hand, you probably eat duck feet, which i have
> > yet to try.

> I've seen chicken feet as one of the offerings for dim sum but there are
> limits even for me :-)

Chicken feet are yummy. I have pics on file.
Wanna see 'em?
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> flitterbit > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> But chard is still not a beet!
>>> I sure as hell don't get big, edible roots when I grow it.

>> No, not a beet, but definitely related; according to Rodale Press'
>> "Successful Organic Gardening" book on Vegetables, that Latin name for
>> beet is Beta vulgaris, Swiss chard's is Beta vulgaris var. cicla; common
>> names for Swiss chard are silverbeet and leaf beet. The chard I grow
>> produces a huge root, but I've never tried cooking it; might be
>> something to try
>>
>> There's a number of related vegetables where we grow one member of a
>> family for its roots and another for its leaves; think radishes and kale.

> They may be related babe, but they are still not a beet dammit! ;-d

ROFL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:52:33 -0600:

> >> Didn't you say you liked spinach too? I'm not going to try.

>> james, you're such a stick-in-the-mud.
>>
>> on the other hand, you probably eat duck feet, which i have
>> yet to try.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Don't underestimate duck feet Blake. :-d

How about mousies?

http://www.eatmousies.com/ The Kliban cat page.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> > Don't underestimate duck feet Blake. :-d

> How about mousies?
>
> http://www.eatmousies.com/ The Kliban cat page.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Ok, that was a very entertaining website. :-)
Michael and Sheldon should appreciate it!

Thanks!

buttery Chard RichD Wine 6 21-01-2012 10:57 AM
TN: NZ SB and Burg Chard DaleW Wine 1 08-10-2008 05:06 PM
Swiss chard Eric Deaver Preserving 4 31-08-2005 04:42 PM
What t do with Swiss Chard sarah bennett General Cooking 25 25-07-2005 05:27 AM
How to enjoy a chard? [email protected] Wine 3 03-07-2005 07:08 PM