Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cast Iron skillet

For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
donny > wrote:

> For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
> pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
> this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
> stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.

It's worked for me for over 20 years...
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I'd never allow a non stick pan into my house for any purpose, frankly.
>
> Susan

They are good for frying eggs. They are OK for a few other things, but not
really needed. Not allowing them in the house is a bit extreme, IMO, but
hey, its your house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote about nonstick pans:

> IMO, eggs fried in them are disgusting. Butter is much better. They also
> emit fumes that I don't want near my house.

I fry eggs WITH BUTTER in a nonstick pan all the time.

Regarding the fumes, it's true that if you put an empty nonstick pan over
high heat for five minutes or more, the pan can release dangerous fumes. If
you use the pan CORRECTLY there's no danger. Do you just not trust yourself
to remember that you have an empty pan on a hot burner?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 06:35:46 -0800 (PST), donny
> wrote:

>For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
>pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
>this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
>stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.

Once it's well seasoned, you can cook eggs in it too.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> donny > wrote:
>
> > For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
> > pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
> > this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
> > stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.

> It's worked for me for over 20 years...

The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
longer than that?

I had a chance to buy a second pot and lid at the same
time, and now I wish I had it. The first one only cost
$9.99 plus tax.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:12:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
>in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
>It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
>longer than that?

The liberty bell cracked. So can your lid.

>I had a chance to buy a second pot and lid at the same
>time, and now I wish I had it. The first one only cost
>$9.99 plus tax.

Go to the restaurant supply store and get an aluminum lid that fits
your pot. Mine is Pyrex. Not sure if it came with the pot or if it's
a lid to a long gone pan.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Go to the restaurant supply store and get an aluminum lid that fits
> your pot. Mine is Pyrex. Not sure if it came with the pot or if it's
> a lid to a long gone pan.

Local Asian food stores also carry glass lids,
but it isn't the same. Won't store heat like
thick cast iron.

I've been thinking of buying one for my slow
cooker, though, to replace the cheap plastic
lid it came with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Go to the restaurant supply store and get an aluminum lid that fits
>> your pot. Mine is Pyrex. Not sure if it came with the pot or if
>> it's a lid to a long gone pan.

> Local Asian food stores also carry glass lids,
> but it isn't the same. Won't store heat like
> thick cast iron.
>
> I've been thinking of buying one for my slow
> cooker, though, to replace the cheap plastic
> lid it came with.

Find a store that caters to campers (the kind that really camp and don't go
for the pretty outfits). Such a store around here sells the cast iron
pots,pans and lids separately. Ours is called the Army/Navy Store. Or find
a store that deals in surplus. These stores offer a huge range of sizes and
oddments in cast iron.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:59:34 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>> They are good for frying eggs. They are OK for a few other things, but not
>> really needed. Not allowing them in the house is a bit extreme, IMO, but
>> hey, its your house.

Have to admit, I use a lot of CI, but keep a Wearever 8" nonstick
skillet for frittatas. Looks like Silverstone.

>IMO, eggs fried in them are disgusting. Butter is much better. They
>also emit fumes that I don't want near my house.

Curious, that. I know that Teflon and Teflon II were capable of
emitting toxic (to canaries and budgies) fumes if overheated, but
have never heard of that problem with the newer finishes.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
>in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
>It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
>longer than that?

The Bleedin' LID? No way. Casting defect.

Alex, who is using stuff from the 1920's.

Never had a piece of CI crack. Only ceramic stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:45:25 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:12:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:

>The liberty bell cracked. So can your lid.

If you were hit that hard, you'd crack too, dear.

>Go to the restaurant supply store and get an aluminum lid that fits
>your pot. Mine is Pyrex. Not sure if it came with the pot or if it's
>a lid to a long gone pan.

She's right, you know. This may be an opportunity. Unless you have
a real reason for wanting an iron lid, you might consider glass. I've
found that some Chantal (and look-alikes) lids also fit US vessels.
Metric measurement (in cm) of ouyr vessel can be compared to the
Chantal product listings on their site. I, for one, prefer being able
to see my dish without removing the lid. I use Chantal lids on my
Cuisinart Copperware. The Cuisinarts are metal.

Alex, fascinated by the LeCrueset Doufeu pots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 8:35*am, donny > wrote:
> For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. *I have been using non-stick
> pots/pans for years. *Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
> this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. *I'll never go back to non-
> stick stuff for stews, meats etc. *Eggs, yeah.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Be Quiet! Don't tell everybody. They'll all want one.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
> in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
> It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
> longer than that?

Castings are easy to crack. Sudden temperature change, a sharp blow to the
right spot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:12:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>

>> The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
>> in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
>> It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
>> longer than that?

> The Bleedin' LID? No way. Casting defect.
>
> Alex, who is using stuff from the 1920's.
>
> Never had a piece of CI crack. Only ceramic stuff.

Last summer I was in a surplus/camping store and looked at their
no-name cast iron. Quite a few pieces had cracks, both lids and pots.
Looking closer, I discovered--made in China.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 7:29*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Chemiker wrote:
> > On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:12:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> > wrote:

> >> The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
> >> in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
> >> It's only 28-29 years old. *Shouldn't cast iron last
> >> longer than that?

> > The Bleedin' LID? No way. Casting defect.

> > Alex, who is using stuff from the 1920's.

> > Never had a piece of CI crack. Only ceramic stuff.

> Last summer I was in a surplus/camping store and looked at their
> no-name cast iron. *Quite a few pieces had cracks, both lids and pots.
> Looking closer, I discovered--made in China.
>
> gloria p

I was going for some canned mushrooms today; the only ones they had
that were whole(as opposed to sliced or pieces and stems) were from
China. I opted for fresh shrooms instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Chemiker wrote:
> > On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:12:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
> >> in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
> >> It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
> >> longer than that?

> > The Bleedin' LID? No way. Casting defect.
> >
> > Alex, who is using stuff from the 1920's.
> >
> > Never had a piece of CI crack. Only ceramic stuff.

> Last summer I was in a surplus/camping store and looked at their
> no-name cast iron. Quite a few pieces had cracks, both lids and pots.
> Looking closer, I discovered--made in China.

Mine was made in the U.S.A., by American Brass & Iron.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:52:17 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>I threw them out. Food cooked in them looks and tastes like sh*t and
>they're toxic.

I think you're being over dramatic, but cook with whatever you want to
use. It's still a free country.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:52:17 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>
> >I threw them out. Food cooked in them looks and tastes like sh*t and
> >they're toxic.

> I think you're being over dramatic, but cook with whatever you want to
> use. It's still a free country.

As long as you don't burn it, it's okay. But it's so easy to burn,
that when I saw my last non-stick pan smoking, that was the end of
that. Holding my breath, I threw the pan out the kitchen window,
opened all the windows in the house, and set up the big fan I use
to empty the air out of the house on hot days.

Several toxic compounds are produced when PTFE is overheated,
but the main destructive one is hydroxyfluoroacetone. It's a far
greater risk to the fetus in a pregnant woman than anybody else
(unless you count birds -- exotic bird fanciers don't have
non-stick cookware in their households).

There's also the issue of PFOA, which is used to make PTFE coatings.
It has been found to be nearly ubiquitous in the environment,
presumably as a result of leakage from PTFE manufacture because
there's no natural source of it. The last time I looked at this
issue, there didn't seem to be solid information that PFOA was harmful
at low levels, such as exposure through food cooked in non-stick
cookware. There may be a problem at high levels, such as workplace
exposure if you work in a non-stick cookware factory in China.
But that's what we pay them for, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article
> > >,
> > donny > wrote:
> >
> > > For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
> > > pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
> > > this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
> > > stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.

> > It's worked for me for over 20 years...

> The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
> in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
> It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
> longer than that?
>
> I had a chance to buy a second pot and lid at the same
> time, and now I wish I had it. The first one only cost
> $9.99 plus tax.

See if you can find a welder that knows how to treat Cast Iron.
It's a special skill.

You also might be able to find a replacement on ebay.

Most of my cast iron is over 40 years old and perfectly healthy. What'd
you do to it to crack it dude???
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JonquilJan" > wrote:

> I fry my eggs in my cast iron skillet - which is well seasoned. Just a
> spritz of olive oil for lubricant - and after wipe out with a paper towel -
> never wash or scrub. My skillets - and dutch oven - are Griswold - very
> old - very good.
>
> JonquilJan

Most of my cast iron is also Griswold. :-)

IMHO they are worth the bid.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > The lid to my cast iron pot developed a huge crack
> > in it a few days ago, and only has a few more uses left.
> > It's only 28-29 years old. Shouldn't cast iron last
> > longer than that?

> Castings are easy to crack. Sudden temperature change, a sharp blow to the
> right spot.

Some of mine are 40 years plus old and have not cracked.

But, we've never abused them either!
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> See if you can find a welder that knows how to treat Cast Iron.
> It's a special skill.

Not really feasible for the lid to a set which
cost $9.99 new.

> You also might be able to find a replacement on ebay.

Shipping would probably exceed original cost.

> Most of my cast iron is over 40 years old and perfectly healthy. What'd
> you do to it to crack it dude???

I first noticed the crack starting to form about
10 years ago. A couple years ago, I lent it to my
mom because she wanted to try some no-knead bread
recipe which called for a cast iron pot. She
cleaned off all the crust on it, and the crack became
much more visible. It's possible that removal of
the protective crust accelerated growth of the
crack.

(Note I said "crust", not "seasoning". I consider
any deposit greater than 1 mm thickness to be
crust, not seasoning.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > See if you can find a welder that knows how to treat Cast Iron.
> > It's a special skill.

> Not really feasible for the lid to a set which
> cost $9.99 new.

Not if it's a Griswold.

> > You also might be able to find a replacement on ebay.

> Shipping would probably exceed original cost.

Not if it's a Griswold. ;-)

> > Most of my cast iron is over 40 years old and perfectly healthy. What'd
> > you do to it to crack it dude???

> I first noticed the crack starting to form about
> 10 years ago. A couple years ago, I lent it to my
> mom because she wanted to try some no-knead bread
> recipe which called for a cast iron pot. She
> cleaned off all the crust on it, and the crack became
> much more visible. It's possible that removal of
> the protective crust accelerated growth of the
> crack.
>
> (Note I said "crust", not "seasoning". I consider
> any deposit greater than 1 mm thickness to be
> crust, not seasoning.)

I understand. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:50:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>"Susan" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'd never allow a non stick pan into my house for any purpose, frankly.
>>
>> Susan

>They are good for frying eggs. They are OK for a few other things, but not
>really needed. Not allowing them in the house is a bit extreme, IMO, but
>hey, its your house.

I disagree totaly, my 10 in. cast iron Lodge is the best egg fryer I've had in over 50
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:52:17 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>>
>>> I threw them out. Food cooked in them looks and tastes like sh*t
>>> and they're toxic.

>> I think you're being over dramatic, but cook with whatever you want
>> to use. It's still a free country.

> As long as you don't burn it, it's okay. But it's so easy to burn,
> that when I saw my last non-stick pan smoking, that was the end of
> that. Holding my breath, I threw the pan out the kitchen window,
> opened all the windows in the house, and set up the big fan I use
> to empty the air out of the house on hot days.
>
> Several toxic compounds are produced when PTFE is overheated,
> but the main destructive one is hydroxyfluoroacetone. It's a far
> greater risk to the fetus in a pregnant woman than anybody else
> (unless you count birds -- exotic bird fanciers don't have
> non-stick cookware in their households).
>
> There's also the issue of PFOA, which is used to make PTFE coatings.
> It has been found to be nearly ubiquitous in the environment,
> presumably as a result of leakage from PTFE manufacture because
> there's no natural source of it. The last time I looked at this
> issue, there didn't seem to be solid information that PFOA was harmful
> at low levels, such as exposure through food cooked in non-stick
> cookware. There may be a problem at high levels, such as workplace
> exposure if you work in a non-stick cookware factory in China.
> But that's what we pay them for, right?

Not being critical here, but I think that you have a habit that I don't have
that puts your pans at risk. You put them on the burner, let them heat and
go do something else. IMO the only pans you can possibly do that with are
cast iron. I wouldn't do that to any pan, even those that aren't
non-stick. You risk the pan warping and going out of round. And maybe
injury danger to children or others in the kitchen or perhaps a fire hazard?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 06:35:46 -0800 (PST), donny
> wrote:

>For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet.

Mine was getting a great season on it, then for some reason I made
something that stuck fast. I had to strip it down and start over.

I love cast iron, though, when it's seasoned.

I have a carbon steel wok that is ridiculously slick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> > However, if you're happy with cast iron, then that's entirely your
> > affair. But you
> > shouldn't spread misinformation about nonstick pans.

> I didn't misinform, I just posted contrary to what you believe.
>
> If those pans don't come with a minimum IQ warning, I guess folks are SOL?
>
> Susan

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> > I didn't misinform, I just posted contrary to what you believe.

> You posted contrary to laboratory findings.

Cites please?

> > If those pans don't come with a minimum IQ warning, I guess folks are SOL?

> Much of life is that way. It's what keeps the species strong.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What does not kill you makes you stronger. ;-)
But I feel a certain responsibility towards my pets as they have no
control.
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

>> You can fry eggs in butter in a nonstick pan. I do.

> Why?

Uh... because it tastes good? Why do YOU fry eggs in butter?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> According to studies, you don't have to abuse the pans to create risks.
>
>> You posted contrary to laboratory findings.

> Uh, no. I posted in accordance with EPA and consumer group findings.

Please provide a cite for any of those claims, especially the EPA one.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Susan wrote:
>
> >> You can fry eggs in butter in a nonstick pan. I do.

> > Why?

> Uh... because it tastes good? Why do YOU fry eggs in butter?
>
> Bob

I fry mine in coconut oil now. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> Why do YOU fry eggs in butter?
>>

> I fry mine in coconut oil now. ;-d

Yeah, but Susan fries in butter.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> Why do YOU fry eggs in butter?
> >>

> > I fry mine in coconut oil now. ;-d

> Yeah, but Susan fries in butter.
>
> Bob

Her choice. :-) I used to too, but in my very personal opinion, Coconut
oil tastes even better, and it has a higher smoke point.

But tastes vary, and I respect that!
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 10:59*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > > I didn't misinform, I just posted contrary to what you believe.

> > You posted contrary to laboratory findings.

> Cites please?

Environ Sci Technol. 2007 Feb 15;41(4):1180-5.
Quantitation of gas-phase perfluoroalkyl surfactants and fluorotelomer
alcohols released from nonstick cookware and microwave popcorn bags.

They reported some offgassing of flurocarbons, at ranges that I
consider to be negligible.

Here's an EPA web site: http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/pfoa/index.htm,
and a quote from it:

The information that EPA has available does not indicate that the
routine use of household products poses a concern. EPA does not have
any indication that the public is being exposed to PFOA through the
use of Teflon®-coated or other trademarked nonstick cookware. Teflon®
and other trademarked products are not PFOA. At the present time, EPA
does not believe there is any reason for consumers to stop using any
products because of concerns about PFOA.

> > > If those pans don't come with a minimum IQ warning, I guess folks are SOL?

> > Much of life is that way. *It's what keeps the species strong.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> What does not kill you makes you stronger. ;-)
> But I feel a certain responsibility towards my pets as they have no
> control.

I have no pets.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> >> Who you kiddin'... it's been 20 years since you pet a cockatwo. hehe

> > Projecting again babycakes? <g>

> i suspect sheldon is often found petting a cockatoo down by the bus
> station.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Or in the local Airport restroom?
--
Peace! Om

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
-Infantry Journal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message

> Eggs are a problem. No matter how well seasoned my pan is, eggs tend to
> be a bit messy. Everything else can be treated as you say. Wipe it
> with a paper towel.

That is where I use a Teflon coated pan. An 8" is perfect for my one egg I
do use butter and can flip the egg with a flick of the wrist, not a spatula
and then when done cooking, slide it onto my heated plate. I bought the
pan at Ocean State Job Lot for a few bucks and it works well. I have some
rather nice cookware, but this is my favorite for eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I meant why use a non stick pan if you're using butter?
>
> I can think of a zillion good reasons to use butter. :-)
>
> Susan

Because it works better than any regular pan I've ever used from any other
material. . See my other post about flipping my egg in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

donny wrote:
> For Christmas I got a Cast Iron Skillet. I have been using non-stick
> pots/pans for years. Was I ever wigged when I saw how wonderfully
> this skillet can brown meat, onions etc. I'll never go back to non-
> stick stuff for stews, meats etc. Eggs, yeah.

Fried eggs are easier in the non-stick, but try an omelette in the cast
iron one - it looks and tastes WAY better than from a non-stick one.

Catherine

--
== Not nuts, just a little eccentric ==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,

> > > I fry mine in coconut oil now. ;-d

> > Yeah, but Susan fries in butter.
> >
> > Bob

> Her choice. :-) I used to too, but in my very personal opinion,
> Coconut oil tastes even better, and it has a higher smoke point.

Bacon grease is even better.

Brian

won't shut up.