Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking by kids, for kids

On Feb 2, 6:29*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Horry > wrote:

> That's true. *Sometimes I get tired of "strange", and skim or skip some
> posts. *Other times I find them entertaining.
>
> My wife does a lot ofcookingwith kids. *She finds it very rewarding,
> although it requires some patience.
>
> If your son is mostly stuck on sweets, cupcakes can be fun. *Many kids
> really get into decorating. *Have an assortment of candies and such for
> decorating. *Cookies can be decorated also. *An apple crisp sounds good
> to me. *Pies require a lot more manual dexterity, so I don't think
> that's a good starter. *If he isn't ready for a knife, have him peel the
> apples and then watch while you slice them.
>
> Pizza is another good one for kids, especially the decorating. *Make
> several small ones so they can experiment some.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

hi this has nothing to do with cooking but our tutor has said to do
this
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 3:47*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Horry" wrote
>
> > Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
> > prepare?

> Generally stick to ones that have not too much more than 5 ingredients
> (unless the extras are a little measure of dried spices etc). *This is a
> good age to learn some simple cassaroles.
>
> > At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
> > like to expand his repertoire.

> Definately time.
>
> > Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
> > cook things he doesn't like to eat

> What does he like? *There's really little a kid age 12 cant manage unless
> they arent used to a knife yet, and if so, supervise for a few months til
> they get the hang of it.
>
> > Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
> > possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
> > those things).

> Actually, naked flames as in gas stove is fine. *Hot liquids fine but teach
> him to use a ladle to pull out a portion of soup, and get a strainer on a
> handle so he can dip out hot pastas (eblows and the like shapes) from the
> boiling water (vice lifting the pot to the sink). *Get some tongs for that
> too as spagetti shaped things are easier to manage that way.
>
> On knives, 12 is old enough but no matter what the age, supervision and
> showing 'safe cutting techniques' is needed at the start.
>
> In my opinion, 12 is actually past the age when I expect a kid to be able to
> handle basics in the kitchen with a knife. *Maybe not yet to the 'slit a
> pork loin so we can stuff it' level, but common things like chopping carrots
> and such are well in line with that age. *It's ok though if you are just
> starting that. *Not all kids are the same on all things and if this is the
> age when you start, it's still in plenty of time.
>
> In our home,cookingis a fun little event and normally involves all 3 of us
> doing some portion. *Charlotte could load the breadmaker by age 8 though
> we'd have to put the pan in for her (not tall enough). *By age 6 she was
> helping wash vegetables and by age 7 able to handle a safety peeler (looks a
> bit like a cheese slicer). *By age 10 she was well into cutting vegetables
> but not yet to 'fancy cuts' (home fries were her level). *She's 15 now and i
> can call her and tell her I'm running late and ask what's for dinner ;-)

here you go, this is an easy recipe for a 12 year old . .so i was
told.

2 c (24) Chocolate-Creme filled Cookies (very finely chopped)

6 tbs Margarine, Softened

1 ea Env. Unflavored Gelatin

1/4 c Cold Water

8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)

1/2 c Sugar

3/4 c Milk

1 c Whipped Cream

1 1/4 c Chocolate-Creme filled Cookies (coarsely chopped)

How to Prepare :

Combine cookie crumbs and margarine; press onto the bottom of a 9-inch
spring-form pan. Soften gelatin in water; stir over low heat until
dissolved. Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing at medium speed with
an electric mixer until well blended.

Gradually add gelatin mixture and milk, mixing until well blended.
Chill until mixture is thickened but not set. Fold in whipped cream.
Reserve 1 1/2 C cream cheese mixture; pour remaining cream cheese
mixture over crust. Top with cookies and reserved cream cheese
mixture. Chill until firm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:47*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:
>
> > At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
> > like to expand his repertoire.
> > Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> lined coffin? *
>
> By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel, had
> earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own sheath
> knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a freakin' break,
> fergawdsakes!
>
> nb

ok my tutor wanted me to put a resapie for yous guys i dont really
know how to cook but i do cook bacon an eggs all you have to do is
chuck evrything on the pan and put it on high untill burnt. sweet as!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:58*pm, Horry > wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:47:16 +0000, notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:

> >> At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
> >> I'd like to expand his repertoire.

> >> Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> > Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> > lined coffin?

> > By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel,
> > had earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own
> > sheath knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a
> > freakin' break, fergawdsakes!

> Who were the three?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:47*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:
>
> > At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
> > like to expand his repertoire.
> > Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> lined coffin? *
>
> By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel, had
> earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own sheath
> knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a freakin' break,
> fergawdsakes!
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 3:47*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Horry" wrote
>
> > Is anyone able to suggest recipes suitable for a 12-year-old to cook/
> > prepare?

> Generally stick to ones that have not too much more than 5 ingredients
> (unless the extras are a little measure of dried spices etc). *This is a
> good age to learn some simple cassaroles.
> nonstr
> > At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
> > like to expand his repertoire.

> Definately time.
>
> > Dishes suited to a 12yo's palate would be best -- as he'd be reluctant to
> > cook things he doesn't like to eat

> What does he like? *There's really little a kid age 12 cant manage unless
> they arent used to a knife yet, and if so, supervise for a few months til
> they get the hang of it.
>
> > Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives (unless it'd be
> > possible for an adult to pre-prepare the parts of the recipe requiring
> > those things).

> Actually, naked flames as in gas stove is fine. *Hot liquids fine but teach
> him to use a ladle to pull out a portion of soup, and get a strainer on a
> handle so he can dip out hot pastas (eblows and the like shapes) from the
> boiling water (vice lifting the pot to the sink). *Get some tongs for that
> too as spagetti shaped things are easier to manage that way.
>
> On knives, 12 is old enough but no matter what the age, supervision and
> showing 'safe cutting techniques' is needed at the start.
>
> In my opinion, 12 is actually past the age when I expect a kid to be able to
> handle basics in the kitchen with a knife. *Maybe not yet to the 'slit a
> pork loin so we can stuff it' level, but common things like chopping carrots
> and such are well in line with that age. *It's ok though if you are just
> starting that. *Not all kids are the same on all things and if this is the
> age when you start, it's still in plenty of time.
>
> In our home,cookingis a fun little event and normally involves all 3 of us
> doing some portion. *Charlotte could load the breadmaker by age 8 though
> we'd have to put the pan in for her (not tall enough). *By age 6 she was
> helping wash vegetables and by age 7 able to handle a safety peeler (looks a
> bit like a cheese slicer). *By age 10 she was well into cutting vegetables
> but not yet to 'fancy cuts' (home fries were her level). *She's 15 now and i
> can call her and tell her I'm running late and ask what's for dinner ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:58*pm, Horry > wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:47:16 +0000, notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:

> >> At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
> >> I'd like to expand his repertoire.

> >> Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> > Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> > lined coffin?

> > By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel,
> > had earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own
> > sheath knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a
> > freakin' break, fergawdsakes!

> Who were the three?

Cooking is a form of art i know this as i am a trained chef and
barista, what ever is in you childs mind to create let him do so. Ask
form his opinon in to what he wants to cook, anything is possible, you
just maybe superised!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:47*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:
>
> > At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and I'd
> > like to expand his repertoire.
> > Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> lined coffin? *
>
> By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel, had
> earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own sheath
> knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a freakin' break,
> fergawdsakes!
>
> nb

A good one to start off with is a cheesecake recipe as the only
cooking involved is to warm some butter up and mix in the biscuit
crumbs and to put some hot water in a cup to mix the geletine. He
should then be able to use a pallete knife to even the top, thats if
you want it even.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 2:58*pm, Horry > wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:47:16 +0000, notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-02-01, Horry > wrote:

> >> At the moment, he's basically limited himself to baking cakes -- and
> >> I'd like to expand his repertoire.

> >> Obviously, no naked flames, hot liquids, sharp knives....

> > Why don't you just wrap him in animal balloons and pack him in a cotton
> > lined coffin?

> > By time I was twelve, I was building campfires with a flint and steel,
> > had earned my marksmanship andcookingmerit badges, carried my own
> > sheath knife, and could cook a dinner for three. *Give the kid a
> > freakin' break, fergawdsakes!

> Who were the three?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote

>hi this has nothing to do with cooking but our tutor has said to do
>this

I am sure no tutor told a bunch of you to make illiterate non-topical posts
in droves in this or any other group. If he'she has, I want to know their
name ans the schoolk so I can officially log a complaint. I am sure
however, such will not be forthcoming as you are lying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Mike" > wrote
>
> >hi this has nothing to do with cooking but our tutor has said to do
> >this

> I am sure no tutor told a bunch of you to make illiterate non-topical posts
> in droves in this or any other group. If he'she has, I want to know their
> name ans the schoolk so I can officially log a complaint. I am sure
> however, such will not be forthcoming as you are lying.

Do you have any recipes from Europe?

:-)

[old rfc joke]

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:17:00 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> "Mike" > wrote
>>
>> >hi this has nothing to do with cooking but our tutor has said to do
>> >this

>> I am sure no tutor told a bunch of you to make illiterate non-topical posts
>> in droves in this or any other group. If he'she has, I want to know their
>> name ans the schoolk so I can officially log a complaint. I am sure
>> however, such will not be forthcoming as you are lying.

>Do you have any recipes from Europe?
>
>:-)
>
>[old rfc joke]

Woodwork squeaks and out come the freaks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wguF9N0x9do

Incidentally, I hear there are lots of recipes from Europe, Dan.
Pizza, for instance, is European. So is spaghetti with meat sauce.
And I think salade Niçoise might be either European or maybe French?
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:58:55 -0600, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:17:00 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike" > wrote

>>> I am sure no tutor told a bunch of you to make illiterate non-topical posts
>>> in droves in this or any other group. If he'she has, I want to know their
>>> name ans the schoolk so I can officially log a complaint. I am sure
>>> however, such will not be forthcoming as you are lying.

>>Do you have any recipes from Europe?
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>[old rfc joke]

> Woodwork squeaks and out come the freaks.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wguF9N0x9do

was (not was) is one of my favorite groups, along with n.r.b.q.

your pal,
blake