Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tomatillos -- freeze them?

I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for $10.18.
That's a good price around here and I have never seen better looking
tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a recipe where
the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with tomatillos? If so, do I
take the husks off first?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:34:13 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>Can I do the same with tomatillos?

This will get you going Janet!

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tomatillos.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:34:13 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>> Can I do the same with tomatillos?

> This will get you going Janet!
>
> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tomatillos.htm

Thank you. I should have checked.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:08:52 -0700:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:34:13 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Can I do the same with tomatillos?

>> This will get you going Janet!
>>
>> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tomatillos.htm

> Thank you. I should have checked.
> Janet

I would agree with the URL about freezing especially since it is the
taste of tomatilloes rather than their texture that is important, IMHO.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for $10.18.
> That's a good price around here and I have never seen better looking
> tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a recipe where
> the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with tomatillos? If so, do I
> take the husks off first?
> Janet

I take the husk off, wash them (they are a little bit sticky) then
freeze them whole in plastic bags.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for $10.18.
> That's a good price around here and I have never seen better looking
> tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a recipe where
> the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with tomatillos? If so, do I
> take the husks off first?
> Janet

be sure to roast them in either the oven, broiler, or grill before you
use them in salsa..intensifies the flavor. they can be quite hot/
spicy, so don't be ashamed of adding a tomato to the mix, along with
the onions & garlic.

harriet in azusa, ca (where i receive the weekly flyers from 5
hispanic markets every week.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for $10.18.
>>That's a good price around here and I have never seen better looking
>>tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a recipe where
>>the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with tomatillos? If so, do I
>>take the husks off first?
>>Janet

> be sure to roast them in either the oven, broiler, or grill before you
> use them in salsa..intensifies the flavor. they can be quite hot/
> spicy, so don't be ashamed of adding a tomato to the mix, along with
> the onions & garlic.

What, tomatillos can be hot and spicy? I've never had one that was more
than mildly tangy. IME there's no heat at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for
>> $10.18. That's a good price around here and I have never seen better
>> looking tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a
>> recipe where the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with
>> tomatillos? If so, do I take the husks off first?
>> Janet

> be sure to roast them in either the oven, broiler, or grill before you
> use them in salsa..intensifies the flavor. they can be quite hot/
> spicy, so don't be ashamed of adding a tomato to the mix, along with
> the onions & garlic.
>
> harriet in azusa, ca (where i receive the weekly flyers from 5
> hispanic markets every week.)

really? I didn't know that they could be spicy. That's interesting to
know. You talk about roasting before making salsa. . .is this just for
cooked salsa or do you use them roasted in a fresh salsa as well? I do
roast peppers and tomatillos before cooking with them, just never thought of
doing so in a fresh preparation. Thanks for the info.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>

>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> I can get a 10 pound box of really good looking tomatillos for $10.18.
>>> That's a good price around here and I have never seen better looking
>>> tomatillos. I know I can freeze tomatoes whole and use in a recipe
>>> where
>>> the tomatoes are cooked. Can I do the same with tomatillos? If so,
>>> do I
>>> take the husks off first?
>>> Janet

>> be sure to roast them in either the oven, broiler, or grill before you
>> use them in salsa..intensifies the flavor. they can be quite hot/
>> spicy, so don't be ashamed of adding a tomato to the mix, along with
>> the onions & garlic.

> What, tomatillos can be hot and spicy? I've never had one that was more
> than mildly tangy. IME there's no heat at all.

I think the poster got tomatillos mixed up with chili peppers.

Tomatillos zxcvbob Preserving 1 23-09-2007 05:50 PM
Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce Dee Dee General Cooking 9 02-05-2007 03:32 AM
Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce Dee Dee General Cooking 1 01-05-2007 06:10 PM
Tomatillos in the UK Squeezeweasel Mexican Cooking 3 13-06-2006 02:59 PM
Tomatillos Kate Pugh Vegetarian cooking 10 20-10-2003 09:58 PM