Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Doctor Mom

I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?

Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
from feeling urpy.

Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

My mother swore by the restorative nature of hot, sweet tea. I dunno if
it was the sugar or the caffeine (probably both!) but to this day I
still swear by it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

I remember hot toddys that my Mom used to give me. Had whiskey in them. I
was less than 10 years old but they did make me sleep. Also, I remember hot
tea with a little honey and lemon, also a little cider vinegar in it.
Tasted like crap, but did wonders for a sore throat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 5:09*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I feel like shit. *I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. *Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. *(And that just kills me.) *So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. *Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: *I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. *I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. *I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

Do you have some paracetamol/codeine tablets?
If so:
1. Crush 12 tables in a bowl.
2. cover with boiling water.
3. Stir until looks like all substance has been dissolved.
4. Put in freezer for about 30 min.
5. Strain mixture through a hankerchief.
6. Discard stuff in hankerchief down toilet (this is the paracetamol
with filler)
7. Drink mixture (it does not taste very good)
8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
codiene.
9. Enjoy - BUT BE CAREFUL TO EXRACT PARACETAMOL AS TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE
LIVER FAILURE AFTER ABOUT 48 HOURS.

Also, be careful as codeine is very addictive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 7:52*pm, LindaR > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 5:09*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>

> > I feel like shit. *I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> > back to bed. *Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> > either -- not even read. *(And that just kills me.) *So I've been flashing
> > back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

> > I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> > weak solution of sugar in water. *Ever heard of that?

> > Burnt Toast: *I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> > scraping the ashes into a glass of water. *I guess this was to settle a
> > stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> > from feeling urpy.

> > Liquid Jell-O. *I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> > there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

> > --
> > Blinky
> > Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

> Do you have some paracetamol/codeine tablets?
> If so:
> 1. Crush 12 tables in a bowl.
> 2. cover with boiling water.
> 3. Stir until looks like all substance has been dissolved.
> 4. Put in freezer for about 30 min.
> 5. Strain mixture through a hankerchief.
> 6. Discard stuff in hankerchief down toilet (this is the paracetamol
> with filler)
> 7. Drink mixture (it does not taste very good)
> 8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
> codiene.
> 9. Enjoy - BUT BE CAREFUL TO EXRACT PARACETAMOL AS TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE
> LIVER FAILURE AFTER ABOUT 48 HOURS.
>
> Also, be careful as codeine is very addictive.- Hide quoted text -

i forgot to say that white mixture at bottom of bowl after coming out
of freezer is paracetamol.
The codeine has completely dissoved in water.
Do not under any circumstances take that much paracetamol as it will
kill you slowly.
That is main reason why prescribed dose is 8 tables a day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:09:31 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I feel like shit.

There are two things that never seem to fail me - although one of them
is no longer available in New Zealand.

1. I used to always keep a can or two of Campbell's Chicken Consommé
in the fridge so that I had the softly "jelled" contents on hand for
those times when I felt "like shit," but needed something easy,
comforting and nourishing to eat. Unfortunately, we can no longer get
it in NZ.

2. When I got home from a gruelling 24 hour flight from the UK the
only thing I could think of to restore my energy was brandy and milk
... and sleep.. It worked, but it took two days, three nights and a
bottle of damn good brandy. I've used the same after other traumatic
events and recommend it highly.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:52:06 -0800 (PST), LindaR
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
>codiene.

After an injury a few years ago I was prescribed codeine phosphate. Is
that something similar?

PS - I never took it but still have a bottle full of the stuff.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 8:18*pm, bob > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:52:06 -0800 (PST), LindaR
> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
> >8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
> >codiene.

> After an injury a few years ago I was prescribed codeine phosphate. Is
> that something similar?
>
> PS - I never took it but still have a bottle full of the stuff.

Yes codeine phosphate is the same thing.
It makes you really sleepy.
It also slows down your breathing and drops you blood pressure.
Constipation is also a side effect. The liver changes codeine into
morphein.
However these days paracetamol is a better pain killer, but a large
dose of paracetamol is bad for liver and kidneys.
I think it has something to do with not dissolving very well in
water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LindaR" > wrote in message
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

Do you have some paracetamol/codeine tablets?
If so:
1. Crush 12 tables in a bowl.
2. cover with boiling water.
3. Stir until looks like all substance has been dissolved.
4. Put in freezer for about 30 min.
5. Strain mixture through a hankerchief.
6. Discard stuff in hankerchief down toilet (this is the paracetamol
with filler)
7. Drink mixture (it does not taste very good)
8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
codiene.
9. Enjoy - BUT BE CAREFUL TO EXRACT PARACETAMOL AS TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE
LIVER FAILURE AFTER ABOUT 48 HOURS.

Also, be careful as codeine is very addictive.

Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
here for some
home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I
definitely need to go to them the next time I'm ill. I'm not making fun of
you, but most people just don't have codeine at their disposal. Maybe, it
just me.

Tonia (Still Chuckling)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

sounds more like "pumping your stomach".

--
C.D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 3:11*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > I feel like shit. *I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> > back to bed. *Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> > either -- not even read. *(And that just kills me.) *So I've been flashing
> > back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

> My mother swore by the restorative nature of hot, sweet tea. I dunno if
> it was the sugar or the caffeine (probably both!) but to this day I
> still swear by it.

It was the steamy liquid that she was trying to get into you. Drink
plenty of fluids. Warm ones tend to help ease congestion, clear nasal
passages, and all that good stuff. the sugar or honey soothed a sore
or scratchy throat, and also appealed to kids.

My Mom had us gargle with warm water mixed with Karo syrup and baking
soda. Talk about gagging a maggot!

With my kid and DH, I push hot drinks and salt water nasal sprays.

dr Mom in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

My maternal grandmother and my mom would make lemon, honey and whiskey
for a chest cold. They were also big on Vicks. Like having a chest
cold wasn't bad enough, you had to get smeared with stinky, burning cold
grease, and if you didn't watch out they'd swipe a fingerful of the
stuff under your nose for good measure.

My paternal grandfather would give you a aspirin and little glass of
creme de menthe for a sore throat.

My dad's remedies tended to be pretty freakin brutal. If you complained
about a sore throat where he could hear you he'd swab your tonsils with
merthiolate. It worked, too, in a way. By the time it stopped burning
your throat would be pretty much numb. And he treated his migraines by
inserting Dristan-soaked q-tips so far up his nose it's a wonder he
didn't poke his eyes out from underneath.

As for me, when the kids have nausea and vomiting I give them the heavy
syrup from canned peaches to sip. Also popsicles And small amounts of
cantelope - I don't know why that stays down but it usually does.

The other first aid measure for the stomach flu is to keep their father
away from them because he'll try to insist that they eat and drink to
keep their strength up. Explaining that every time you vomit you not
only lose what you ate or drank, you also lose additional fluid doesn't
seem to sink in.

I think that one came from his mother, who believed as gospel everything
in the "Big Book of Old Wives Tales, Urban Legends and Chowder Headed
Notions" (the unabridged edition). You should have seen the fit she
threw when my SIL took her baby daughter for her first haircut when the
moon was waning. Oh. My. God. Because of her mother's willful
ignorance that child was doomed, DOOMED, I tell you, to have a bad hair
life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote on Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:37:15 -0600:

> As for me, when the kids have nausea and vomiting I give them the
> heavy syrup from canned peaches to sip. Also popsicles And small
> amounts of cantelope - I don't know why that stays
> down but it usually does.

> The other first aid measure for the stomach flu is to keep
> their father away from them because he'll try to insist that
> they eat and drink to keep their strength up. Explaining that
> every time you vomit you not only lose what you ate or drank, you also
> lose additional fluid doesn't seem to sink in.

It may be said not to be the best by physicians but my "bad-cold" remedy
is to take an aspirin and then a mug of hot lemonade made with a real
lemon, plenty of sugar and a large shot of Scotch. I don't believe it
has any effect on the cold but going to bed afterwards usually results
in going to sleep quickly.

As for stomach flu, all I know is to drink innocuous mild fruity drinks
and go to bed. Food usually results in vomiting but lying down and doing
absolutely *nothing* can help. Doing nothing is about the limits of my
"activity" :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach

Wrong! I think she was trying to kill you. '-)

Sorry you're feeling poorly. I've a cold trying to catch me and I can't
afford to be sickly right now. Dang. I'll be popping vitamin C.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
bob > wrote:

> There are two things that never seem to fail me

(snip)
> 2. When I got home from a gruelling 24 hour flight from the UK the
> only thing I could think of to restore my energy was brandy and milk
> .. and sleep.. It worked, but it took two days, three nights and a
> bottle of damn good brandy. I've used the same after other traumatic
> events and recommend it highly.

You could probably shorten the time if you skipped the milk and just
drank the brandy, Bob.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>> stomach

> Wrong! I think she was trying to kill you. '-)
>
> Sorry you're feeling poorly. I've a cold trying to catch me and I can't
> afford to be sickly right now. Dang. I'll be popping vitamin C.

Go get Zicam immediately! Here one can get it in the supermarket,
in the cough-cold section. Drugstores should also carry it. It
works REALLY well if you are diligent.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

The home remedies of the past AKA Old Wives Tales, have GREAT basis in fact.
As science progressed we learned the physiological reasons why Jewish
Penicillin ( hot chicken soup) does make one feel better, or why a warm
glass of milk helps one sleep.

There are tons of home remedies that work.

http://www.grannymed.com/

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tonia wrote:

> "LindaR" > wrote in message
> On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> > I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> > back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> > either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> > back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
> >
> > I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> > weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
> >
> > Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> > scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> > stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> > from feeling urpy.
> >
> > Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> > there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
> >
> > --
> > Blinky
> > Killing all posts from Google Groups -
> > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

> Do you have some paracetamol/codeine tablets?
> If so:

<snip dangerous instructions>

> Also, be careful as codeine is very addictive.
>
> Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
> here for some
> home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I
> definitely need to go to them the next time I'm ill. I'm not making fun of
> you, but most people just don't have codeine at their disposal. Maybe, it
> just me.
>
> Tonia (Still Chuckling)

Paracetamol, aka acetominophen, containing small amounts of codeine, is
available without prescription from pharmacies/chemists in the UK. The
pharmacist will ask questions and has the discretion not to sell any at
all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article . net>,
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>
>>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>>> stomach

>> Wrong! I think she was trying to kill you. '-)
>>
>> Sorry you're feeling poorly. I've a cold trying to catch me and I can't
>> afford to be sickly right now. Dang. I'll be popping vitamin C.

> Go get Zicam immediately! Here one can get it in the supermarket, in the
> cough-cold section. Drugstores should also carry it. It works REALLY
> well if you are diligent.
> --
> Jean B.

And get some extra so the next time you will have it on hand and can start
it immediately!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

Sorry you're feeling poorly; is it some kind of flu? I had a bout of
that at Christmas and spent Christmas Day in bed with a fever of 102 --
such fun!

When we were little, for nausea, Mom used to give us flat gingerale, and
if that stayed put, a half orange to suck on. The flat gingerale may
very well be an analogue of your mom's sugar water remedy. For chest
colds, Vicks Vaporub on the back and chest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>> else, either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>> flashing back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

> My mother swore by the restorative nature of hot, sweet tea. I dunno if it
> was the sugar or the caffeine (probably both!) but to this day I still
> swear by it.

I don't think I remember us ever having tea in the house.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:52:06 -0800 (PST), LindaR >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
>>codiene.

> After an injury a few years ago I was prescribed codeine phosphate. Is
> that something similar?

For coughs, my dad used swear by - spelling approximate - "tirpenhydrate
with codeine". Think eventuall he couldn't get it any more. It was
probably something he learned in the 1930s or so.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"flitterbit" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>> go
>> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
>> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>> flashing
>> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>>
>> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
>> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>>
>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
>> from feeling urpy.
>>
>> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
>> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>>

> Sorry you're feeling poorly; is it some kind of flu? I had a bout of that
> at Christmas and spent Christmas Day in bed with a fever of 102 --
> such fun!
>
> When we were little, for nausea, Mom used to give us flat gingerale, and
> if that stayed put, a half orange to suck on. The flat gingerale may very
> well be an analogue of your mom's sugar water remedy. For chest colds,
> Vicks Vaporub on the back and chest.

The only good thing for fever is Tachipirina (I don't know if you know it)it
makes you sweat and decrease fever. For atony, the better cure is work a lot
and to get tired.
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tonia wrote:

> "LindaR" > wrote in message
> On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>> else, either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>> flashing back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>>
>> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as
>> a weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>>
>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset
>> than from feeling urpy.
>>
>> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
>> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>>
>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all posts from Google Groups - The Usenet Improvement
>> Project:http://improve-usenet.org

> Do you have some paracetamol/codeine tablets? If so:

I'm thinking "no", because I'm pretty sure it's a controlled substance.

> 1. Crush 12 tables in a bowl.
> 2. cover with boiling water.
> 3. Stir until looks like all substance has been dissolved. 4. Put in
> freezer for about 30 min.
> 5. Strain mixture through a hankerchief. 6. Discard stuff in hankerchief
> down toilet (this is the paracetamol with filler)
> 7. Drink mixture (it does not taste very good) 8. In about 20 min you will
> feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure codiene.
> 9. Enjoy - BUT BE CAREFUL TO EXRACT PARACETAMOL AS TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE
> LIVER FAILURE AFTER ABOUT 48 HOURS.
>
> Also, be careful as codeine is very addictive.
>
> Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
> here for some
> home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I

I don't have a doctor.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

C.D wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>> else, either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>> flashing back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>>
>> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as
>> a weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>>
>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset
>> than from feeling urpy.
>>
>> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
>> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>>

>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all posts from Google Groups - The Usenet Improvement Project:
>> http://improve-usenet.org
>>

> sounds more like "pumping your stomach".

What does?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
> back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>
> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
> weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>
> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
> from feeling urpy.
>
> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

Make some real chicken soup if you have the energy babe!
<hugs> and hoping you feel better.

As for mom-type recipes for being sick, my mom used to make a broth from
ground beef, chopped onions and chopped potatoes.

Hot toddies also made with ginger tea, lemon juice, honey and a shot of
dark rum.

I remember once when dad brought me a thermos of hot toddie after I'd
finished my last deep dive for my scuba class in the local lake. I took
the class in the late winter so the water at 60 feet was about 40
degrees.

I froze my ass off even in a full wetsuit that was double thickness over
the torso.

That toddy was most welcome and I'll never forget it. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" ha scritto nel messaggio > The only good thing for fever is
Tachipirina (I don't know if you know it)it > makes you sweat and decrease
fever. For atony, the better cure is work a lot
> and to get tired.
> Cheers
> Pandora

It is effervescent paracetamol, and I don't know if a version is available
in the US. You are warned NOT to consume alcohol, so that's sort of
Tylenolish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>> else, either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>> flashing back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>>
>> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as
>> a weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>>
>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset
>> than from feeling urpy.
>>
>> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
>> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>>

> Sorry you're feeling poorly; is it some kind of flu? I had a bout of that
> at Christmas and spent Christmas Day in bed with a fever of 102 -- such
> fun!
>
> When we were little, for nausea, Mom used to give us flat gingerale, and
> if that stayed put, a half orange to suck on. The flat gingerale may very
> well be an analogue of your mom's sugar water remedy. For chest colds,
> Vicks Vaporub on the back and chest.

God, how I hated Vicks. Felt awful, and that tee shirt all gooey with it
and stuck to my chest and back made it ten times as awful.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

>I don't think I remember us ever having tea in the house.

Me neither. My mother was Italian.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Tonia" > wrote:

> Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
> here for some
> home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I
> definitely need to go to them the next time I'm ill. I'm not making fun of
> you, but most people just don't have codeine at their disposal. Maybe, it
> just me.
>
> Tonia (Still Chuckling)

If you have the right Dr., a codeine prescription is seldom hard to get.
I turned down the last one I was offered. The pain I'm experiencing at
this point is chronic and I am afraid of getting addicted to that stuff.
:-P

I'll just live with it for now...
The price of opiate addiction is far too high imho.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Wrong! I think she was trying to kill you. '-)
>>>
>>> Sorry you're feeling poorly. I've a cold trying to catch me and I can't
>>> afford to be sickly right now. Dang. I'll be popping vitamin C.

>> Go get Zicam immediately! Here one can get it in the supermarket, in the
>> cough-cold section. Drugstores should also carry it. It works REALLY
>> well if you are diligent.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> And get some extra so the next time you will have it on hand and can start
> it immediately!
>
> Felice

Yes. I need to replace my backup....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Tonia" > wrote:
>

>>Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
>>here for some
>>home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I
>>definitely need to go to them the next time I'm ill. I'm not making fun of
>>you, but most people just don't have codeine at their disposal. Maybe, it
>>just me.
>>
>>Tonia (Still Chuckling)

> If you have the right Dr., a codeine prescription is seldom hard to get.
> I turned down the last one I was offered. The pain I'm experiencing at
> this point is chronic and I am afraid of getting addicted to that stuff.
> :-P
>
> I'll just live with it for now...
> The price of opiate addiction is far too high imho.

Yep. I've been living with chronic back pain for 22 years now (car
accident). "Diffuse soft tissue injury sited near t-5 and t-6".

Drugs, PT, chiropractic treatment, accupuncture, biofeedback training.
The only thing that worked worth a damn was lifting weights and really
aggressive massage. It took a long time to convince my husband that he
really could push *that hard*. I can't prove it but what it feels like
is the pressure is breaking down microcalcifications or strands of scar
tissue. It actually makes a crunchy sound/sensation.

And I have a weight machine in my sewing room and when I start getting
achey I'll stop and do a couple sets of the chest, arm and back
exercises. And I have this rule for myself... If I walk away from the
sewing machine to play with the computer I have to do a set of
exercises, and I also have to log onto subfinder and check for work.

When the pain is especially bad I ice my back. I put on a thin t-shirt
and fill a gallon ziplock bag with crushed ice and water, then sit in
one of the recliners with the bag behind me. It gives such good relief
that I'm always mad at myself for not having done it sooner, it's just
that the first couple minutes are so unpleasant that I dread doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>>I don't think I remember us ever having tea in the house.

> Me neither. My mother was Italian.

Mine wasn't; we just didn't have a penchant for dirty water.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Tonia" > wrote:
> >

> >>Well hell, if I had codeine tablets I wouldn't be worried about posting on
> >>here for some
> >>home remedies......LMAO! Jeez, let me know who your DR is because I
> >>definitely need to go to them the next time I'm ill. I'm not making fun of
> >>you, but most people just don't have codeine at their disposal. Maybe, it
> >>just me.
> >>
> >>Tonia (Still Chuckling)

> > If you have the right Dr., a codeine prescription is seldom hard to get.
> > I turned down the last one I was offered. The pain I'm experiencing at
> > this point is chronic and I am afraid of getting addicted to that stuff.
> > :-P
> >
> > I'll just live with it for now...
> > The price of opiate addiction is far too high imho.

> Yep. I've been living with chronic back pain for 22 years now (car
> accident). "Diffuse soft tissue injury sited near t-5 and t-6".

Take a look at Airrosti.
I'm not sure I'm a candidate for it at this point. It's a leg injury but
the Ortho' thinks it's nerve transmission from the lumbar spine.

It's crooked.

And I don't agree. The pain is wrong.

> Drugs, PT, chiropractic treatment, accupuncture, biofeedback training.
> The only thing that worked worth a damn was lifting weights and really
> aggressive massage.

Heh! Thanks for that. Heavy weight lifting is helping more than anything
else and I've just started massage therapy so the jury is still out on
that. The therapist is good tho' and not afraid to go deep.

I told her to ignore me if I say "ouch". Unless I say stop.

> It took a long time to convince my husband that he
> really could push *that hard*. I can't prove it but what it feels like
> is the pressure is breaking down microcalcifications or strands of scar
> tissue. It actually makes a crunchy sound/sensation.

And it hurts so good.

> And I have a weight machine in my sewing room and when I start getting
> achey I'll stop and do a couple sets of the chest, arm and back
> exercises. And I have this rule for myself... If I walk away from the
> sewing machine to play with the computer I have to do a set of
> exercises, and I also have to log onto subfinder and check for work.

Don't forget to stretch!

> When the pain is especially bad I ice my back. I put on a thin t-shirt
> and fill a gallon ziplock bag with crushed ice and water, then sit in
> one of the recliners with the bag behind me. It gives such good relief
> that I'm always mad at myself for not having done it sooner, it's just
> that the first couple minutes are so unpleasant that I dread doing it.

Hm. Might have to try that for the leg issues. Thanks.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> C.D wrote:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to
>>> else, either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been
>>> flashing back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...
>>>
>>> I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as
>>> a weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?
>>>
>>> Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
>>> scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
>>> stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset
>>> than from feeling urpy.
>>>
>>> Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
>>> there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Blinky
>>> Killing all posts from Google Groups - The Usenet Improvement Project:
>>> http://improve-usenet.org
>>>

>> sounds more like "pumping your stomach".

> What does?

Burned toast will make you hurl.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> C.D wrote:
>>
>>> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have

>>> sounds more like "pumping your stomach".

>> What does?

> Burned toast will make you hurl.

Never did. Thus my confusion. Maybe my mom had a better recipe than
yours did.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Burned toast will make you hurl.
>
> Becca

nawwwww it won't. Unless you've got that idea in your head and are
suggestible? There is nothing in (to) burned toast that would cause you
to vomit. I think I ate burned toast as a kid more often than not-for
some reason I liked my toast really, really dark.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> My mother swore by the restorative nature of hot, sweet tea. I dunno if
> it was the sugar or the caffeine (probably both!) but to this day I
> still swear by it.

Hot tea with honey, lemon, whiskey and a raw egg in it. It was called
something like "guggle muggle" and was supposed to cure things like
chest colds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:52:06 -0800 (PST), LindaR >
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>> 8. In about 20 min you will feel soothing effect of about 100mg pure
>>> codiene.

>> After an injury a few years ago I was prescribed codeine phosphate. Is
>> that something similar?

> For coughs, my dad used swear by - spelling approximate - "tirpenhydrate
> with codeine". Think eventuall he couldn't get it any more. It was
> probably something he learned in the 1930s or so.

I must be old because I remember turpenhydrate. Tasted vile, but worked
quite well. I think you had to sign a ledger at the pharmacy for it or
maybe that was codeine cough medicines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> As for stomach flu, all I know is to drink innocuous mild fruity drinks
> and go to bed. Food usually results in vomiting but lying down and doing
> absolutely *nothing* can help. Doing nothing is about the limits of my
> "activity" :-)

Stomach flu was always treated with Coca Cola syrup. You had to get it
at the pharmacy. It really did settle one's tummy. I don't even know if
it is still available or if it's any good now that they use HFC instead
of cane sugar.

Time to See the Doctor? werwiniskp Baking 0 10-03-2009 03:06 PM
iBarry - The doctor is in reeper General Cooking 0 10-06-2007 01:49 AM
doctor chef? Golden General Cooking 0 03-01-2007 10:29 PM
How to doctor up Manwhich? Ferrante General Cooking 22 19-09-2005 09:20 PM
Doctor's Only Please jmcquown General Cooking 0 18-02-2005 10:21 PM