Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Source (online?) for whole wheat flour

I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.

I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?

Dan

PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:04:24 -0800, dmusicant wrote:

> I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.

Good luck. I work in food manufacturing, and the company I work for buys
flour by the rail car loads. Which is how I happen to know that flour
costs have risen dramatically in the past year.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science...ast/index.html

If the above link wraps:

http://tinyurl.com/acgkbj

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

> wrote in message
>I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.
>
> I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
> wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
> cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?
>
> Dan
>
> PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
> believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog...e596c322c1f511

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

> wrote in message
>I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.
>
> I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
> wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
> cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?
>
> Dan
>
> PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
> believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/flo...=77657 445013

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

> wrote in message
>I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.
>
> I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
> wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
> cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?
>
> Dan
>
> PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
> believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.

Maybe you can make a deal with the local bakery?

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:18:57 -0500, "Kswck" > wrote:

:
> wrote in message
.. .
:>I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
:> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
:> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
:> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
:> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.
:>
:> I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
:> wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
:> cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?
:>
:> Dan
:>
:> PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
:> believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.
:
:Maybe you can make a deal with the local bakery?
:
That may be the best idea. The online sources I've managed to find have
a hefty shipping fee. For instance, I found a 25 lb bag of whole wheat
flour for 12 dollars and change, but the shipping brought the 50
cents/lb up to $1.36/lb. I can buy organic whole wheat flour at my local
market for $1.39/lb (as stated above), and any quantity I want, so it's
not worth it for me to buy online unless I can find a much better deal.
I figure I'll have to avoid shipping to get good deals. I know there
must be many local people who bake in their kitches regularly and some
of them have certainly looked into this. I just don't know right now how
to meet these people.

Dan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:54:33 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" >
wrote:

:Why don't you try posting this question to alt.bread.recipes? The bread
:bakers hang out there and are very helpful. Is there a Wheat Montana shop
:near you? I know they have closed many because of the economy, but I find
:their prices to be extremely fair. Do you have a Cash and Carry near you?
:They carry flour of all kinds in 50 pounds and the prices seem good
:Janet

Thanks. I'd never heard of Wheat Montana, and just did a search and they
evidently only have 2 stores in California and they aren't near me.

I hadn't heard of that alt.bread.recipes newsgroup before and will
definitely subscribe and repost this there.

There is something like a Cash and Carry here. I have bought there
before. Actually, the store they show in the store finder (about 6 miles
from me) is close to the other store I have in mind. I can try both.

Smart and Final has a store around the same area as well. Maybe they
would have something.

Thanks for the great ideas!!

Dan
: