Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American chopsticks

I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
don't, I say it's all total crap.

We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
time?

I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT:

> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest
> about it. Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we
> wanna SHOW RESPECT for the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what
> about take-out? I've been eating Chinese take-out all my life
> and have NEVER found those disposable chopsticks in the bag.
> Does that mean I should have them at home all the time?

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I
> know of NO 0NE else who does so. Maybe me and mine are
> declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU really have your own
> chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family when
> Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a
> poll!)

You are not weird at all. We always used chopsticks for Chinese and
Japanese food at home and, in fact, we were given two sets of ivory ones
as a wedding present (long time ago!). We also had several sets of
attractive and useful laquered ones.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

We have chopsticks in the flatware drawer, but I must admit they've not
been used in years.

Thanks for reminding me they are there. ;-) Next time I serve stir fry
to dad, I'll get a pair out just for grins and see if he uses them!
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?

I have had chopsticks packed in with my takeout on numerous occasions.
Neglecting Asian countries you would find this in places like NYC where
there are more real Chinese places. The mom & pop place in my small town
also does it if they know you want them or if you ask.

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

Sure, I have a bag of the split wood disposable ones and a couple sets
of reusable lacquered ones. I also have some large long ones used for
cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

Yeah, a bunch (probably 10 sets or so?) as well as a pair of long
cooking ones. They vary from smooth bamboo to ornate enamel things. I
could probably also come up with some odd disposable sets that the carry
out place toss in the bag too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12*am, notbob > wrote:
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. *Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. *Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. *If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). *BUT!!... what about take-out? *I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. *Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time? *
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. *I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. *Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. *Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? *C'mon, be honest. *(CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

We also have both disposable and laquered sets here, and use them,
mostly for sushi & sashimi takeout, but almost never for Chinese, and
we never eat Chinese out of the box. I have lovely Asian dinnerware
and loads of Asian decor in our home, almost anywhere you look.
Neither of us is of Asian decent but we could eat sushi & sashimi
easily 4 or 5 days a week if we could afford it. MMMMM that's
gooooooood stuff!!!
Nan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12*am, notbob > wrote:
> *I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag.

I have not had a Chinese take out in many years and don't remember but
our sushi comes with chopsticks

>*Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? *C'mon, be honest.

Of course, doesn't everyone? I use them when cooking as well as
eating.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" > wrote in message

> On Jan 25, 9:12 am, notbob > wrote:
>> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both
>> Waterston and Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with
>> disposable chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the
>> networks standard representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in
>> this manner. If you don't, I say it's all total crap.
>>
>> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about
>> it. Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW
>> RESPECT for the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out?
>> I've been eating Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found
>> those disposable chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have
>> them at home all the time?
>>
>> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of
>> NO 0NE else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt
>> it. Do YOU really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and
>> guests and family when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest.
>> (CC! ... a poll!)
>>
>> nb

> We also have both disposable and laquered sets here, and use them,
> mostly for sushi & sashimi takeout, but almost never for Chinese, and
> we never eat Chinese out of the box. I have lovely Asian dinnerware
> and loads of Asian decor in our home, almost anywhere you look.
> Neither of us is of Asian decent but we could eat sushi & sashimi
> easily 4 or 5 days a week if we could afford it. MMMMM that's

I can't say I have much experience of take-out Chinese food since it's
often greasier even than the restaurant stuff but I think I have had to
ask for chopsticks to be included. Most of the take out sushi that I eat
comes from franchised counters in upscale grocery stores and they
usually have packages of chopsticks prominently displayed for taking as
well as packets of extra soy sauce.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob wrote:

> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.

they eat chinese take-out with chopsticks because they are liberal pussies.
don't you know anything?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 10:55*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob wrote:
> > I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. *Both Waterston and
> > Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> > chopsticks. *Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> > representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. *If you
> > don't, I say it's all total crap.

> they eat chinese take-out with chopsticks because they are liberal pussies. *
> don't you know anything?
>
> blake

Probably easier to use the chopsticks than to use the cheap plastic
forks. Many cheap forks I've seen are TOO SHORT and bends like wet
noodle.

The whole idea of eating out of the box is you don't have to wash
dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
>Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
>chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
>representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
>don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
>We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
>Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
>the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
>Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
>chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
>time?
>
>I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
>else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
>really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
>when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
>nb

We use chopsticks a lot here at home and they also get included with
carry-out Chinese or Japanese from many places in the area . I live 25
miles from NYC. Sometimes the Chinese places do not include
chopsticks, but the Japanese always do. In fact, if one gets sushi at
a market or grocery store, chopsticks are put into the bag.

When I lived in the city, we'd complain if the Chinese or Japanese
carry-out forgot to include chopsticks. I would have been as if
another carry-out place forgot to include plastic forks and spoons.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12�am, notbob > wrote:
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. �Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. �Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. �If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). �BUT!!... what about take-out? �I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. �Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time? �
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. �I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. �Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it.. �Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? �C'mon, be honest. �(CC! .... a poll!)

I have quite a few sets of chopsticks, most are ordinary bamboo, a few
are plastic made to look like ivory, the kind that used to be given
away at NYC Chinese restaurants, some are imprinted with the name and
phone number of the restaurant. I also have four sets of black
laquered ones from Japan that was a gift, never used. I've very
occasionally used the plain bamboo ones, can't even recall the last
time. I really don't enjoy food eaten with chopsticks, it's like
eating with tweezers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
==>NB's chopstick and culture schtick<==
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird.

You're as loopy as a bowl of Fruitloops, nb, but why would
using chopsticks occasionally at home be weird? Big Brother is
the only one that'll know...

> I know of NO 0NE else who does so. [snip]

Now you do know someone, several when you add in ma familia.
Spawn's dexterity with chopsticks rivals many of her CJK
friends.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston
> and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO
> 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

I get the disposable ones from my stores and use them for a lot of things,
including eating. I'm deft enough for most tasks except for loose rice.
I'm not into the little bowl thing where you shovel food into your moth
while making gulping and slurping sounds loud enough to wake the dead and
then a belch so strong it blows the paper napkins off the table.

I can only handle so much "authentic."

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:12*am, notbob > wrote:
> I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. *Both Waterston and
> Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
> chopsticks. *Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
> representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. *If you
> don't, I say it's all total crap.
>
> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). *BUT!!... what about take-out? *I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. *Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time? *
>
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. *I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. *Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. *Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? *C'mon, be honest. *(CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

I have about a dozen or so sets of chopsticks, not including the
couple of split wood disposables hanging around in the "junk" drawer.
I admit that we don't use them often, hubby does moreso than i. My
chopstick skill is not exactly well developed. I joke that i'm on a
"chopstick diet" when i use them as i never finish my rice or noodles,
its just too much trouble! Hubby is much better, and is as likely to
use the chopsticks as a fork if i cook asian style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?

It's sure not the norm to find chopsticks in the take-out/delivery here in
L.A. I do plenty of this, and use three or four places for delivery (not
counting one that just closed and one that jacked up their minimum
delivery order to $15). I can't remember the last time I found any
chopsticks in the bag.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:15:07 -0800 (PST), James
> wrote:

>The whole idea of eating out of the box is you don't have to wash
>dishes.

which doesn't make it any less uncivilized and disgusting.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Do YOU really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests
> and family
> when Asian food is on the menu?

We have a couple of sets (which is not enough for a bunch of guests) -
but then we don't live in America.

> C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

I'll put it on the list.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" ha scritto nel messaggio
> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO
> 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do
> YOU> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and
> family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)
>
> nb

Well, duh, yeah. I have a tall vase full of them since I see only fancy
ones for sale here in Italy. My kid could use them at 3. What's wrong with
you? Why do you watch a TV show and care how they eat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 25, 6:12*am, notbob > wrote:
>.... what about take-out? *I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag.

Very odd. Usually they ask if you want them or the little plastic
fork. Maybe you just look like a plastic fork kinda guy.

*Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time? *

There's no 'should.' Have them if you use them, don't if you don't.

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird.

Yes, you are, but not because you use chopsticks.

> *I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so.

Sure you do. You just don't know that about them.

> ..... *Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? *C'mon, be honest. *(CC! ... a poll!)

Of course. We have a few heirlooms -- ivory and silver -- but we also
have a dozen or more pairs of ordinary bamboo that we use all the
time. When we serve Chinese food we put them on the table and guests
are free to use them or forks, whichever they like. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-25, The Ranger > wrote:

> You're as loopy as a bowl of Fruitloops, nb......

Shame on you, Range. What did a bowl of Fruitloops ever do to you?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

I have used chopsticks at home sometimes. This reminds
me I should pick up a box of plastic chopsticks next time
I'm at the Chinese food store.

I remember reading that the vast majority of disposable
chopsticks are made in the U.S., at a factory among the
forests where the wood is harvested. We actually export
chopsticks to Asia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 10:55*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-01-25, The Ranger > wrote:
>
> > You're as loopy as a bowl of Fruitloops, nb......

> Shame on you, Range. *What did a bowl of Fruitloops ever do to you?

Simply sat there, staring up from their bowl of milk, expecting me to
use my chopsticks.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Jan 25, 10:55 am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2009-01-25, The Ranger > wrote:
>>
>>> You're as loopy as a bowl of Fruitloops, nb......

>> Shame on you, Range. What did a bowl of Fruitloops ever do to you?

> Simply sat there, staring up from their bowl of milk, expecting me to
> use my chopsticks.

Would the milk not be a wee bit tricky?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:45*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:

> >> Shame on you, Range. What did a bowl of Fruitloops ever do to you?

> > Simply sat there, staring up from their bowl of milk, expecting me to
> > use my chopsticks.

> Would the milk not be a wee bit tricky?

Depends on the magnitude of the trick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
> Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
> the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
> Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
> chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
> time?

Most of the places I go to give you both chopsticks and forks. I
wish they'd ask me which I want so they can afford to give out
better forks. The forks they use are the cheapest, flimsiest stuff
available.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO
> 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

Well I don't. But my grandchildren and their dad and stepmom do.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:15:07 -0800 (PST), James
> > wrote:
>
>>The whole idea of eating out of the box is you don't have to wash
>>dishes.

> which doesn't make it any less uncivilized and disgusting.

Gee. How do you feel about paper plates?

What's uncivilized and disgusting about eating out of a to-go
container? Talk about hangups...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Jan 25, 11:45 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> The Ranger wrote:

>>> Simply sat there, staring up from their bowl of milk, expecting me
>>> to use my chopsticks.

>> Would the milk not be a wee bit tricky?

> Depends on the magnitude of the trick.

Well if you ever figure it out I want a video please

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:

> >> Would the milk not be a wee bit tricky?

> > Depends on the magnitude of the trick.

> Well if you ever figure it out I want a video please

One of the things that people who use chopsticks have in common with
people who use forks, is spoons. Whether it's soup or jook, it ain't
going down with either a fork or chopsticks. I would guess that
frootloops is the same. Do you eat your breakfast cereal with a fork?
I doubt it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so.

Now you do. I use Korean metal chopsticks fairly frequently, often for
eating kimchi and kkaktugi. Sometimes a slice of kimchi has to be
folded, to fit into the mouth, and this is much easier to do with
chopsticks than with a fork. I also use wooden chopsticks, sometimes
just to fish out a noodle out of a pot, to check for donenness, or to
take out a Würstchen out of a pan.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
>else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
>really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
>when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

Actually, yes. I have a personal set of black enamels with
mother-of-pearl insets, DW has a red enamel set. I keep mine
in my fanny pack, just in case. They feel fine to me, when
some of the resto throwaways are hard for me to use. When
I go to the Asian market, I sometimes pick up a set of those
resto sticks (pkd 100's) because they are handy in the kitchen
in many ways. Pull homemade piggles out the jar without con-
taminating them? Fresh stix work fine. Cross 2 and you can
whip eggs.

Not dishwasher safe, tho.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:15:07 -0800 (PST), James
> wrote:

>Probably easier to use the chopsticks than to use the cheap plastic
>forks. Many cheap forks I've seen are TOO SHORT and bends like wet
>noodle.
>
>The whole idea of eating out of the box is you don't have to wash
>dishes.

Amen, Brother Ben!

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
> else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
> really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
> when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

Weird is right. If you dislike chopsticks so much, why do you use them?

According to the last US census, there are about 10 million people in
the US (about 4%) who list Asian as their only race. You've never known
any of those 10 million people well enough to know that some of them use
chopsticks?

http://www.census.gov/population/www...race-data.html

[The data about asians in the census is a PDF file that will download
from the above when you click on it.]

I don't see that we need another poll. Many people who responded to
the last one said that they were very good at using chopsticks.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 15:13:01 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Gee. How do you feel about paper plates?
>
>What's uncivilized and disgusting about eating out of a to-go
>container? Talk about hangups...

Well, I guess that rules out Fish/Chips w/Malt Vinegar,
wrapped in the Telegraph or Daily Mail!

Tradition................Tradition!

Alex, trying to sing like Tevye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:27:04 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>We use chopsticks a lot here at home and they also get included with
>carry-out Chinese or Japanese from many places in the area . I live 25
>miles from NYC. Sometimes the Chinese places do not include
>chopsticks, but the Japanese always do. In fact, if one gets sushi at
>a market or grocery store, chopsticks are put into the bag.

I think you went straight for the jugular, Man. How do you eat
sushi/sashimi with a fork/spoon? Stix work wonderfully. After
all, Form follows Function.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:19:37 -0600:

>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>> We use chopsticks a lot here at home and they also get
>> included with carry-out Chinese or Japanese from many places
>> in the area . I live 25 miles from NYC. Sometimes the Chinese
>> places do not include chopsticks, but the Japanese always do.
>> In fact, if one gets sushi at a market or grocery store,
>> chopsticks are put into the bag.

> I think you went straight for the jugular, Man. How do you eat
> sushi/sashimi with a fork/spoon? Stix work wonderfully. After
> all, Form follows Function.

I'm a chop stick enthusiast but I have to admit that you could eat sushi
or sashimi with a fork and spoon perfectly well but chopsticks add to
the ambience.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:22:44 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>One of the things that people who use chopsticks have in common with
>people who use forks, is spoons. Whether it's soup or jook, it ain't
>going down with either a fork or chopsticks. I would guess that
>frootloops is the same. Do you eat your breakfast cereal with a fork?
>I doubt it.

Dan, you speak truly.

As a tool is designed to fill a functional need, the need can
be inferred from the design of the tool. Some of our need
for forks is to hold the beast down while we cut it up, rather
than tearing it to bits with our teeth. We're too civilizeed for
that, don't you know. One reason for forks is that it kept
the fingers of "civilized" nobilitly from getting their hands
greasy. (But you could still throw the bones to dogs..)

Stix assume that all the *nasty* work was done in the kitchen.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-01-25, Victor Sack > wrote:

> Now you do. I use Korean metal chopsticks.....

Wow. I've never run across those, even in a Korean restaurant.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:23:37 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Chemiker wrote on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:19:37 -0600:
>
>>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I'm a chop stick enthusiast but I have to admit that you could eat sushi
>or sashimi with a fork and spoon perfectly well but chopsticks add to
>the ambience.

Love ya, James, but I disagree.

You could eat sashimi with your hands, also, "perfectly' well.
How would you do it with a fork? Spear it? With a spoon." scoop
it up"? This is a case where "tweezers" work.. <G>

alex, eating roast lamb tonight. He will butcher at table. He will
even butcher the brocolli!

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
Why do we still use chopsticks? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 199 25-04-2007 04:46 PM
Where can I get personalized chopsticks Timur Tabi Sushi 2 05-12-2005 06:38 PM
Chopsticks Mekare Sushi 202 05-11-2004 02:11 AM