Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

To make risotto you have to use Arborio Rice, or something very equivalent.
The long grain rices don't exude enough starch to make the texture of the
dish. If you do this, and follow the liquid/rice ratio for whatever recipe
you're using, and you gently stir as the liquid is added you will end up
with that creamy rice dish that equates with risotto. It's great with dried
porcinis. Hydrate the mushrooms, and use the soaking liquid as part of your
added liquid.

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:32*am, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

I wouldn't have any idea how to make that shit.
I'm a meat and 2 veggie man.
Give me any old meat, some spuds, a few carrots, lots of peas, and
there is hell in me kitchen.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"And where is the Prince who can afford to so cover his country with
troops for going down upon, as that ten thousand men descending from
the
clouds, might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief,
before
a force could be brought together to suck em off?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in
:

> To make risotto you have to use Arborio Rice, or something very
> equivalent. The long grain rices don't exude enough starch to make the
> texture of the dish.

I use sushi rice. Much the same as arborio.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:32*pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

Very easy to make actually, and well worth the bit of stirring it
takes.
I don't use a recipe, but generally as much arborio rice as i feel is
needed for the meal, and a lot of low sodium chicken stock (yes,
before you all yell at me, i buy it!). I love it with mushrooms, so i
use a mixture of dried wild mushrooms rehydrated in a little warm
stock and very finely chopped.

I like to cook the rice in a little butter first, just till its a
little "toasted", i like the flavor. Then, using hot stock, add a few
ladlefulls and gently stir while it cooks. When the broth is just
about cooked down, add more, a few ladles at a time. I find i use
about 5 cups of stock to 1 cup of rice, approximately. You have to be
patient and just stir it gently. When its just about the right
texture, creamy and thick but the rice grains are still separate, i
add in the mushrooms, and usually some very finely grated good
parmesan. MMMMm it's heavenly, rich and creamy and goes with just
about anything as a side.... or if i'm cooking for just me it's the
perfect main dish. I don't add salt as i find the chicken stock and
parm are more than enough, but a few generous grinds of fresh black
pepper suit me just fine.

tint
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 24, 4:32*pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

You should find some that is well made and try it first. Risotto is
not about any particular recipe; it's all about the texture. If you
haven't experienced the creamy, succulent texture no recipe will
suffice to tell you what you're trying to achieve in your own
saucepan. Once you know what you're after, though, it is not
particularly difficult to do at home. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

The box mix is just a box of Arborio rice with some instructions. Some
boxes have RISOTTO in large letter with arborio rice in small letters, other
have ARBORIO RICE in large letters and risotto in small letters. Same
thing. I don't like plain white rice, but I do like risotto since it has a
few more ingredients that add a lot of flavor. It also has a creamy
texture.

One you make it, you'll find it is just becomes second nature and pretty
simple to make variations. Sometimes we add mushrooms, other times peas,
other times nothing but the onion that we started with. You can use any
cookware you have, but a saucier is easier to stir and gently and evenly
heat. http://www.copperpans.com/facosa.html

I takes about 18 minutes to cook and takes fairly constant, slow stirring
and small additions of the liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:06 -0600, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
>because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
>it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
>I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
>with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

You've never ordered risotto in a restaurant? It's one of my "must
order" foods. I've only been disappointed twice.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" ha scritto nel messaggio > Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen"
and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
> Mark

I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.

It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
cold wet days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi replied to FERRANTE:

>> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
>> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
>> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
> look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
> latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
> Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
> does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
> homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
> Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.
>
> It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
> Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
> cold wet days.

I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
order is called out.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Jan, 00:32, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?

Risotto is easy to make, but it is labour-intensive, as you have to
stir the risotto all the time as you add the stock. Use either
Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice, otherwise it just won't be
the same.

Here's a simple recipe:

Risotto con Lenticchie e Salamini - Italy

200g green lentils
400g salamini
1 bay leaf
2.5 l vegetable stock
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
320g risotto rice
salt and pepper

Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the lentils,
salamini and bay leaf. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15
minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the
onion. Fry over a low heat until soft and translucent. Add the
potatoes, celery, carrots and tomato. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add
the rice and stir to coat each grain. Stir in 1 ladleful of the broth,
lentils and sausages. Allow to be absorbed into the rice before adding
the next ladleful, stirring continuously. Repeat until all is
incorporated and the rice is creamy and soft, but with a little bite
to the center. Check the seasoning and serve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
> shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
> deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
> that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
> order is called out.

Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
>> I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind
>> of >> shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who
>> really don't deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is
>> practiced in that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three
>> minutes after the >> order is called out.

> Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

A base may be used that is made daily, with the finishing done at the last.
There is a distinctive taste to leftover risotto, though, so it must be made
at least daily or frozen. That texture suffers, but the taste is OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:56:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
>> shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
>> deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
>> that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
>> order is called out.

> Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

i don't have any experience, but i would think it would hold pretty well,
maybe adding the cheese at just before serving.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dragonblaze > wrote:

>Here's a simple recipe:
>
>Risotto con Lenticchie e Salamini - Italy

>[snip]
>Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the
>onion. Fry over a low heat until soft and translucent. Add the
>potatoes, celery, carrots and tomato. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add
>the rice and stir to coat each grain. Stir in 1 ladleful of the broth,
>lentils and sausages. Allow to be absorbed into the rice before adding
>the next ladleful, stirring continuously. Repeat until all is
>incorporated and the rice is creamy and soft, but with a little bite
>to the center. Check the seasoning and serve.

I'll quibble with "stirring continuously". I think you want to
be stirring only about half the time, maybe even a little less.
I think it can become too gummy with too-continuous stirring.

There are a lot of possible outcomes in terms of texture,
so a good prerequisite is having experienced risotto of the "right"
texture (or at least, one that you would like to duplicate) so
that you know what you're going for.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> I'll quibble with "stirring continuously". I think you want to
> be stirring only about half the time, maybe even a little less.
> I think it can become too gummy with too-continuous stirring.
>
> There are a lot of possible outcomes in terms of texture,
> so a good prerequisite is having experienced risotto of the "right"
> texture (or at least, one that you would like to duplicate) so
> that you know what you're going for.
>
> Steve

I'm not going to quibble, but there are a few "correct" ways to get the same
outcome. Stir half the time, but perhaps with more vigor than stirring
slowly all the time. What counts is an end result that you like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:56:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
>>>shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
>>>deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
>>>that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
>>>order is called out.

>>Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

> i don't have any experience, but i would think it would hold pretty well,
> maybe adding the cheese at just before serving.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Adding cheese and butter to ordinary cooked rice an calling it risotto
is an old trick.

Here's Escoffiers version.

Rice cooked in the Piedmont way (Risotto)

4 oz. butter
1 tbs. finely chopped onion
8 oz. rice
S & P
2 & 1/4 cups boiling consomme
grated Parmesan cheese

Heat half the butter in a pan, add the onion, and when it begins to
brown mix in the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute and add
seasoning.

Add one third of the consomme, continue to stir and when the liquid is
absorbed, add another one third of the consomme.

When absorbed, add the rest. Continue cooking and continue to stir the
rice. By this process a creamy rise is obtained to which finally the
rest of the butter and cheese is added.

Note - If preferred, the risotto can be cooked by adding the consomme
all at once, in which case the pan should be covered and the rice cooked
without stirring. Butter and grated cheese is then added as before.
Also a little chopped ham and sliced white Piedmont truffles may be added.

Risotto is a popular basis or accompaniment for ragouts, chicken saute,
game, etc.

Italians prefer the rice rather undercooked, generally 15 - 16 minutes.
----

For a Milanese risotto use veal stock. For Portuguese style use grilled
sweet red peppers, tomatoes & saffron. A favorite of mine is riz au
beurre, buttered rice, where the rice (1 cup) is cooked in the ordinary
manner but with the addition of about 2 tbs. of butter to the water and
rice as it cooks. When the rice is finished cooking another 2 tbs. of
butter is added. This can then be seasoned to taste with herbs, garlic,
cheese & etc.

I particularly like riz a beurre for leftover stir fried rice. Just add
some chopped green onions, peas, mushrooms, shrimp & etc. and saute
quickly in a hot pan.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Here's Escoffiers version.
>
> Rice cooked in the Piedmont way (Risotto)
> 4 oz. butter
> 1 tbs. finely chopped onion
> 8 oz. rice
> S & P
> 2 & 1/4 cups boiling consomme
> grated Parmesan cheese
>
> Heat half the butter in a pan, add the onion, and when it begins to brown
> mix in the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute and add >
> seasoning.
>
> Add one third of the consomme, continue to stir and when the liquid is >
> absorbed, add another one third of the consomme.
>
> When absorbed, add the rest. Continue cooking and continue to stir the >
> rice. By this process a creamy rise is obtained to which finally the >
> rest of the butter and cheese is added.
>
> Note - If preferred, the risotto can be cooked by adding the consomme >
> all at once, in which case the pan should be covered and the rice cooked >
> without stirring. Butter and grated cheese is then added as before. JL

Escoffier, like almost all French chefs, has mistaken the case for risotto
completely. They do it to pasta, too. They take something simple and screw
around with it until no one can be bothered to make it but them.

Too much butter, not enough onion, way too little broth for that amount of
rice. Although it doesn't have to be stirred continuously, 3 additions and
stirrings is not enough and doing the liquid all at once and not stirring is
absoutely NOT risotto.. The montata or finishing is inadequate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Here's Escoffiers version.
>>
>>Rice cooked in the Piedmont way (Risotto)
>>4 oz. butter
>>1 tbs. finely chopped onion
>>8 oz. rice
>>S & P
>>2 & 1/4 cups boiling consomme
>>grated Parmesan cheese
>>
>>Heat half the butter in a pan, add the onion, and when it begins to brown
>>mix in the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute and add >
>>seasoning.
>>
>>Add one third of the consomme, continue to stir and when the liquid is >
>>absorbed, add another one third of the consomme.
>>
>>When absorbed, add the rest. Continue cooking and continue to stir the >
>>rice. By this process a creamy rise is obtained to which finally the >
>>rest of the butter and cheese is added.
>>
>>Note - If preferred, the risotto can be cooked by adding the consomme >
>>all at once, in which case the pan should be covered and the rice cooked >
>>without stirring. Butter and grated cheese is then added as before. JL

> Escoffier, like almost all French chefs, has mistaken the case for risotto
> completely.

In your opinion! in other's opinions its a quite good recipe.

They do it to pasta, too. They take something simple and screw
> around with it until no one can be bothered to make it but them.

Its not rocket science? Julia child did a similar recipe with a nod to
Escoffier and left out the truffle.
Lydia Bastiannici did much the same recipe on her show.
And the fact that Auguste Escoffier is considered a past master of the
art of cooking by many, many people sort of puts your opinion in a
minority position.

> Too much butter,

Picky picky.

not enough onion,

Any onion is too much IMO,

way too little broth for that amount of
> rice. Although it doesn't have to be stirred continuously, 3 additions and
> stirrings is not enough and doing the liquid all at once and not stirring is
> absoutely NOT risotto..

So next you'll be telling us if its not made in Italy its not Italian food?
--
JL

The montata or finishing is inadequate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Picky picky.

Ya know, if you do not want to know anything that I know and you want to
make Italian food from French recipes, then effing do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Picky picky.

> Ya know, if you do not want to know anything that I know and you want to
> make Italian food from French recipes, then effing do it.

*Shrug* when they ask you to re write the introduction to the Larusse
Gastronomique and you are considered a doyen of the cooking world, are
legendary in your stature, get back to me about that
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote
> "Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto

>> Picky picky.

> Ya know, if you do not want to know anything that I know and you want to
> make Italian food from French recipes, then effing do it.

Grin, I've never made risotto but I understand the basics of it. I do make
a dish that though *quite* different, has a similar sort of rice treatment
though wetter by far.

In Japan it is commonly translated as 'rice porridge' (other places with a
simpler style of it but a close relative will call it Congee or Juk). The
main difference in Kyushu version 'rice porridge' is it has many more
ingredients though the total end volume of added things may be the same. Oh
and in Thailand, there is often a bit of coconut milk and lemon grass added.

I've thought a few times of trying a risotto. Just havent yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "Giusi" wrote
>
>>"Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto

>>>Picky picky.

>>Ya know, if you do not want to know anything that I know and you want to
>>make Italian food from French recipes, then effing do it.

> Grin, I've never made risotto but I understand the basics of it. I do make
> a dish that though *quite* different, has a similar sort of rice treatment
> though wetter by far.
>
> In Japan it is commonly translated as 'rice porridge' (other places with a
> simpler style of it but a close relative will call it Congee or Juk). The
> main difference in Kyushu version 'rice porridge' is it has many more
> ingredients though the total end volume of added things may be the same. Oh
> and in Thailand, there is often a bit of coconut milk and lemon grass added.
>
> I've thought a few times of trying a risotto. Just havent yet.

Actually i prefer a pilaf but the elderly relative likes the more
porridge like rice dishes, even including rice pudding, about the only
thing she will tolerate raisins in.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > *Shrug* when they ask you to re write the
introduction to the Larusse
> Gastronomique and you are considered a doyen of the cooking world, are >
> legendary in your stature, get back to me about that
> --
> JL

Well, you are surely hanging out in the right place to get that level of
attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "FERRANTE" ha scritto nel messaggio > Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen"
> and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
>> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
>> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>> Mark

> I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
> look for etc. that I tell my students. It was lamb because that was the
> latest I'd made and I love it. Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
> Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
> does. It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
> homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
> Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.
>
> It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
> Consider it a meditation opportunity. There is nothing more comforting on
> cold wet days.

Which "Better than Bouillon" flavor do you like to use? I think the chicken
base is pretty good, though marginally oversalty. Like most beef bouillons,
the beef base is marginal. Have you used either the clam or lobster based
"Better than Bouillons" as part of a fish stew? Do you know of a good veal
bouilloon product. That's what's really needed. The few of those from France
are overpriced.
Thanks,

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > *Shrug* when they ask you to re write the
> introduction to the Larusse
>
>>Gastronomique and you are considered a doyen of the cooking world, are >
>>legendary in your stature, get back to me about that
>>--
>>JL

> Well, you are surely hanging out in the right place to get that level of
> attention.

Ooooh!!!... first my recipe isn't good enough for you & now the whole
group is reduced to you as the lowest common denominator? You are the
standard by which to judge the quality of this group?

*Chuckle* guilt by association i guess
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> I've thought a few times of trying a risotto. Just havent yet.

> Actually i prefer a pilaf but the elderly relative likes the more porridge
> like rice dishes, even including rice pudding, about the only thing she
> will tolerate raisins in.

I just gave the basics of the 'rice porridge' in the chopstick thread (made
it for breakfast today) but it can be made alot of different ways. Doesnt
'have' to be with the seaweed and octopus ;-)

It's definately not risotto, but it might suit your needs if adapted?

For 'American' tastebuds:

1 cup dry rice (white is a must, calrose preferred for type but ariborio
will work)
5 cups chicken stock (4 if you want thicker, can add more stock later if too
thick)
1 raw egg per person
1 cup cut up cooked boneless meat of choice (chicken works well, pork too)
1/2 cup cooked veggies of choice (think green things, cabbage is a good
choice)

Set this all on the stove (minus the eggs) to simmer. Preheat your heavier
bowls and find saucers that will fit ontop to hold the heat in. (can
preheat just by setting them in hottest tap water).

When rice is soft and seems ready, quickly fill hot bowls and crack one egg
into it. Do not stir. Serve immediately with saucers ontop and peek under
to watch as the egg cooks to consistancy desired.

To make this really easy for the American kitchen, canned meat such as the
6.5 oz 'white meat' chicken many use for chicken salad is acceptable.
Frozen pre-shelled shrimp of any size work very nicely if you prefer that to
chicken or in addition to it. Even those little cans of 'cocktail baby
shrimp' work nicely this time if that's easier and handy. Those canned
minced clams (look like a tuna can) work too.

Not into chicken stock? Can use beef or like Koreans often do, pork stock.
Can you use cubed bullion? Yes but it may be pretty salty unless you have a
lower salt version. In Japan, you'd use either chicken or dashi stock.

Dashi is a fish based stock with seaweed but has not a strong fish taste to
it. Dashi can be made at home of dried bonito and sheets of nori (dried
seaweed) or made up from a box just like you do a granualar bullion type. I
suggest the box type for American cookery (and yes, they use it there in
Japan alot too).

Highly suggest if making the dashi stock, you taste test for how much of the
granules to add. The boxes come in various sizes and tend to be
underpowered if made to directions. Most Americans though, will prefer the
taste of this dish with chicken stock unless from coastal areas and used to
fish stocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Picky picky.

> Ya know, if you do not want to know anything that I know and you want
> to make Italian food from French recipes, then effing do it.

I was watching Anthony Boudain's show a couple of weeks ago, visiting
Venice. He went to a place that makes risotto with broth from a small
fish called "Go". When the cook was making it, periodically he would
pull the saucepan towards himself, causing a strema of the mixture to
fountain into the air a foot or more.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User > wrote:

>I was watching Anthony Boudain's show a couple of weeks ago, visiting
>Venice. He went to a place that makes risotto with broth from a small
>fish called "Go". When the cook was making it, periodically he would
>pull the saucepan towards himself, causing a strema of the mixture to
>fountain into the air a foot or more.

This nicely encapsulates why I never watch food TV.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Default User > wrote:
>
> > I was watching Anthony Boudain's show a couple of weeks ago,
> > visiting Venice. He went to a place that makes risotto with broth
> > from a small fish called "Go". When the cook was making it,
> > periodically he would pull the saucepan towards himself, causing a
> > strema of the mixture to fountain into the air a foot or more.

> This nicely encapsulates why I never watch food TV.

Why's that? Understand that it's a restaurant in Venice Italy,
preparing one of their classic dishes "risotto di go", not a cooking
show.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Default User > wrote:
>
>>I was watching Anthony Boudain's show a couple of weeks ago, visiting
>>Venice. He went to a place that makes risotto with broth from a small
>>fish called "Go". When the cook was making it, periodically he would
>>pull the saucepan towards himself, causing a strema of the mixture to
>>fountain into the air a foot or more.

> This nicely encapsulates why I never watch food TV.
>
> Steve

This was in Venice, the guy making it was following the family recipe and
methodology that had been around for 100+ years. I guess you know better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> I was watching Anthony Boudain's show a couple of weeks ago, visiting
>> Venice. He went to a place that makes risotto with broth from a small
>> fish called "Go". When the cook was making it, periodically he would
>> pull the saucepan towards himself, causing a strema of the mixture to
>> fountain into the air a foot or more.

> This nicely encapsulates why I never watch food TV.

Bourdain isn't on Food TV. He appears to have some kind of long-standing
feud with them. IIRC he's on the Travel Channel, or maybe Bravo.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:06 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, FERRANTE
> wrote,
>Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
>because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
>it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

It is apparently most difficult to make with Gordon Ramsey screaming
"Where is the risotto?" at you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 4:44�pm, David Harmon > wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:06 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, FERRANTE
> > wrote,
>
> >Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> >because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> >it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> It is apparently most difficult to make with Gordon Ramsey screaming
> "Where is the risotto?" at you.

really is not difficult at all

I brown the arborio rice in a bit of butter nd olive oil

Have broth simmering

Add a little at a time to the rice, stirring constantly

near the end of the cooking time ( taste, rice should be al dente)
add shrimp or veggies or what ever

add fresh grated parmasan.

Salt and white pepper

Eat

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
rosie > wrote:

> On Mar 5, 4:44?pm, David Harmon > wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:06 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, FERRANTE
> > > wrote,
> >
> > >Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> > >because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> > >it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> > It is apparently most difficult to make with Gordon Ramsey screaming
> > "Where is the risotto?" at you.

> really is not difficult at all
>
> I brown the arborio rice in a bit of butter nd olive oil
>
> Have broth simmering
>
> Add a little at a time to the rice, stirring constantly
>
> near the end of the cooking time ( taste, rice should be al dente)
> add shrimp or veggies or what ever
>
> add fresh grated parmasan.
>
> Salt and white pepper
>
> Eat

I'm with Rosie. It's not that difficult at all.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 4:32*pm, FERRANTE > wrote:
> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?
>
> I have never tasted risotto and would like to. Can someone supply is
> with a simple recipe or can it be purchased in a box mix?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark

I don't know how they prepare risotto on Hell's Kitchen, but from his
column in the Times Online in the UK, here are links to risotto
recipes from Gordon Ramsay:

Jerusalem artichoke risotto with scallops
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle829418.ece

Gorgonzola risotto with peas and broad beans
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle822785.ece

Asparagus, celery, pea and smoked bacon risotto with gremolata
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3901216.ece

Lobster Risotto with Champagne and Vanilla
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2027144.ece

Wild garlic and parsley risotto
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle1973690.ece

Rabbit Legs with Sage, Parsley and Barley Risotto
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle1961911.ece

Mushroom risotto with sage beurre noisette
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2817918.ece

Pumpkin risotto
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2061080.ece

Sweetcorn Risotto Balls
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle823917.ece
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 2:39*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Giusi replied to FERRANTE:
>
> >> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> >> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> >> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> > I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
> > look for etc. that I tell my students. *It was lamb because that was the
> > latest I'd made and I love it. *Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
> > Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
> > does. *It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
> > homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
> > Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.

> > It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
> > Consider it a meditation opportunity. *There is nothing more comforting on
> > cold wet days.

> I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
> shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
> deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
> that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
> order is called out.
>
> Bob

In a risotto recipe printed in the Times Online, Gordon Ramsay
explains how they do some advance preparation on the rice used in
risotto at his restaurants:

"When you cook risotto at home you can do the whole thing in one go
because you have plenty of time to stir it - in my restaurants we have
to blanch the rice first and then bring it all together later on. It’s
a nice way of speeding up the process - the rice just goes back into
the pan with the stock and quickly starts to become workable......"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle822785.ece