Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The proper ice cream soda...

Since we have discussed this subject before here, I am going to
type up the formula from Saxe's New Guide: Hints to Soda Water
Dispensers (1894). This seems to leave out the cream that is part
of the process now, and squirting soda water on top of the ice
cream tends to make its exterior icy, but it may still be of some
interest.

How to Draw a Glass of Ice Cream Soda
Source: Saxe's New Guide: Hints to Soda Water Dispensers.
Complete and Modern Formulae... D. W. Saxe. Chicago: The Saxe
Guide Publishing Co., 1894. Pages 21-22.

Very few dispensers know how to draw a glass of ice cream soda
properly. This may seem strange but nevertheless it is a fact.
The usual method is syrup first, ice cream next, then a little
wind and water, that's all, This makes a very unsatisfactory
drink, as it is not properly mixed and cannot be mixed when served
in this manner, unless you use a spoon and make mush of it. In
drinking a glass of soda served above, 1st you taste wind, 2d
plain soda, 3d ice cream, 4th syrup, all separate. This leads the
customer to think that your ice cream soda is bad, and he goes out
dissatisfied, but had you mixed the drink properly, using the same
material, no doubt he would have been well pleased.
I always teach my soda men to draw the syrup first, then turn
on the fine soda stream a moment, then the coarse, and again the
fine till the glass is about one-half full, and the syrup is
thoroughly mixed with the water, then drop in the ice cream, and
top off with a fine stream of soda. In this way you have a glass
of soda thoroughly mixed, with the ice cream in the center,
floating around, and not adhering to the sides of the glass. Try
my way and see if your customers are not better satisfied with the
result.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> squirting soda water on top of the ice cream tends
> to make its exterior icy

You say that as though it were a bad thing.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> squirting soda water on top of the ice cream tends
>> to make its exterior icy

> You say that as though it were a bad thing.

> Brian

Well, *I* don't like it when the ice cream has an icy top layer!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Default User wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> squirting soda water on top of the ice cream tends
>>> to make its exterior icy

>> You say that as though it were a bad thing.

>> Brian
>>

> Well, *I* don't like it when the ice cream has an icy top layer!

Does anybody else remember, or are willing to admit they used those
hollow plastic spheres that you could open up, put a scoop of ice cream
in, close and stick in a bottle of coke or other colas / sodas (not
surprisingly i drank 'Royal Crown? to drink the soda through?

As i left youth behind, my taste and pallet became more refined and by
the time i was 12 years old i had come to appreciate a ''root beer'
float with vanilla ice cream in a frosty mug. "Hires" iirc, used to
have road side root beer stands in Oregon. Get a gallon of the stuff
for about a dollar back then.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > Jean B. wrote:
> >
> > > squirting soda water on top of the ice cream tends
> > > to make its exterior icy

> > You say that as though it were a bad thing.

> > Brian
> >

> Well, I don't like it when the ice cream has an icy top layer!

It's pretty traditional. That little bit of crusty layer was what made
the strawberry ice cream soda for me as lad.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Default User wrote:

>>> You say that as though it were a bad thing.
>>> Brian
>>>

>> Well, I don't like it when the ice cream has an icy top layer!

> It's pretty traditional. That little bit of crusty layer was what made
> the strawberry ice cream soda for me as lad.
>
> Brian

That's interesting. I always considered it to be a defect!!!!
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. said...

> Default User wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Well, I don't like it when the ice cream has an icy top layer!

>> It's pretty traditional. That little bit of crusty layer was what made
>> the strawberry ice cream soda for me as lad.
>>
>> Brian

> That's interesting. I always considered it to be a defect!!!!

Waiter?!?

Can I get an Egg Cream or two in Pennsylvania???