Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default boston Butt Roast

I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
> sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
> cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.
>
> Tom

That's pretty much it, Tom, although I do mine in the oven at about
275-300 degrees for several hours. You're off to a good start for
making pulled pork. Have a look he <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com>
and fine your way to this note: Pork Butts Become Pulled Pork
5/14-15/2007 .

I also use a butt roast to make our Christmas Eve tourtiere.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:17:49 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
>some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
>sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
>cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.

Thisis my favorite way!!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Carnitas (Authentic)

mexican

4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
32 oz chicken broth
6 lg garlic cloves; ground
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground in a mortar
2 onions, quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro

Cut pork meat into chunks and reserve the big pieces of fat for other
uses.
(I leave some fat as it adds flavor).
Add pork chunks, broth, garlic, comino, onion and cilantro to a Dutch
oven.
If necessary, add water so that the meat is covered.

Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 -4 hours or
until
meat is very soft and pulls apart easily. (Be careful not to shred
meat,
needs to stay in chunks).

Remove the meat carefully from pot and place in a roasting pan. Drain
stock, removing onion and solids. Save for other use. Break the
meat
apart into smaller chunks (don't shred, it needs to stay in chunks).

Bake in the oven at 450°F for about 20 minutes or until the meat is
brown
and crispy.
Heat corn tortillas & serve with desired toppings.

Yield: 6 -8

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
> sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
> cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.
>
> Tom

I just season and stick it in the oven on a low temperature until done and
tender, about 175 degrees. Butts need to break down the collagen so they
can take a high internal temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> " > wrote:
>
>> I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
>> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
>> sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
>> cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.
>>
>> Tom

> That's pretty much it, Tom, although I do mine in the oven at about
> 275-300 degrees for several hours. You're off to a good start for
> making pulled pork. Have a look he <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com>
> and fine your way to this note: Pork Butts Become Pulled Pork
> 5/14-15/2007 .

I do them in the crock pot but NEVER add water. There is so much liquid
in the finished product I can't see it ever being necessary?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> " > wrote:
>>
>>> I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
>>> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
>>> sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
>>> cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.
>>>
>>> Tom

>> That's pretty much it, Tom, although I do mine in the oven at about
>> 275-300 degrees for several hours. You're off to a good start for
>> making pulled pork. Have a look he <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com>
>> and fine your way to this note: Pork Butts Become Pulled Pork
>> 5/14-15/2007 .

> I do them in the crock pot but NEVER add water. There is so much liquid
> in the finished product I can't see it ever being necessary?

Well then DROP THE STUPID QUESTION MARK. It's a stupid affectation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote
>> " > wrote:
>>
>>> I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
>>> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all

> I do them in the crock pot but NEVER add water. There is so much liquid
> in the finished product I can't see it ever being necessary?

Correct. Water will just leach out some of the good flavor. I drain the
liquid that accumulates out then add sauce of whatever sort I want and eat
it as a pulled pork dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I purchased a Boston Roast, and was wondering if anyone might have
> some suggestions as to how to prepare it. Last time I browned all
> sides in a dutch oven, and then added some water and seasonings, and I
> cooked it on low heat on top of the stove. It turned out rather well.
>
> Tom

Boston But is one of the cuts used for pulled pork.

One other option would be to brown the roast in hot fat.
While the roast is browning dice an onion and open a large bag of
sauerkraut.

Place 1/2 the sauerkraut and onion on the bottom of a crock pot.

Place the roast on top of the kraut/onion mix & add 1/2 cup of white wine.

Top the roast with the remaining kraut/onion mix.

Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours or until tender.

When the roast is tender drain the remaining liquid into a sauce pan, plate
the roast and kraut.

Add Dijon mustard to the liquid (to taste 1 to 2 T) and thicken with a white
wine & cornstarch slurry. When the sauce has thickened gloss with soft
butter.

Dimitri

Boston Butt? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 80 30-10-2012 11:52 AM
Pork shoulder blade roast aka Boston Butt cybercat General Cooking 87 10-11-2009 03:39 AM
Boston Butt Pork Roast Mitch General Cooking 21 05-03-2007 05:54 PM
Why Boston Butt LT Barbecue 6 21-07-2005 02:40 PM
Boston butt pork roast Frogleg Mexican Cooking 4 21-02-2004 02:22 PM