Old 23-01-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What vegetable goes with Lasagna?

Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of
garlic bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

-Jared

(Gots to eat muh veggies!)

Old 23-01-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote in
:

Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of
garlic bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would
it be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

-Jared

(Gots to eat muh veggies!)

Not strictly a vege, but grapes go with lasagne........ ezpecially when
they are in the red wine form.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"And where is the Prince who can afford to so cover his country with
troops for its defense, as that ten thousand men descending from the
clouds, might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief, before
a force could be brought together to repel them?"

Benjamin Franklin 1748

Old 23-01-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:51:41 -0600, phaeton
wrote:

Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of
garlic bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

-Jared

Hi Jared,

Broccoli seems to go well, to my taste. Italian (wide) green beans
are a standard.

Best -- Terry
Old 23-01-2009, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of
garlic bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it be?

green salad
wilted spinach

Tara

Old 23-01-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it
be?

broccoli... leftover and made into salad. Lots of vinegar, some good
olive oil, lots of salt, some pepper, a little garlic and some minced
red onion and optionally some sliced cherry tomatoes...tossed and let to
sit for about 15 minutes. The quality of the oil and vinegar and
seasoning on the generous side with salt are what make this, IMO.
Old 23-01-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in
:

"phaeton" wrote in message
Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of
garlic bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would
it be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

A green salad.

Yep.

Though not necessarily just a green salad. I like to have a leafy salad
with some chopped up tomato, cucumber, mandarin, etc, etc in it. It's
like a palate cleanser between mouthfulls of lasagne.

The salad also goes great with pizza.

Old 23-01-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna what would it be?

Giardiniera
Old 23-01-2009, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
k k is offline

"phaeton" wrote in message
Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of garlic
bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it
be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

-Jared

(Gots to eat muh veggies!)

A simple salad - lettuce, onion bits and olive oil, near room temp. Have
grated cheese and a pepper mill nearby.

Old 23-01-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:02:52 -0800 (PST), Sheldon
wrote:

phaeton wrote:

if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna what would it be?

Giardiniera

Giardiniera confuses people shemp. If you were to use enough Chicago
style giardiniera to consider it a side dish you'll be very sorry. If
you use the pickled spring mix in white vinegar I think it would pair
up poorly. I do use Chicago style giardiniera on beefs, pizza,
lasagna, eggplant / chicken / veal parmesan and it's a perfect blend.

But it's not a side dish, it's a condiment.

I've looked at recipes for years to make my own but never been
impressed enough to try one of them. Plus the fact that there's
always at least 10 brands on the store shelves and at the deli counter
so the motivation isn't there. An it's dirt cheap to buy. I do know
someone who makes a fabulous product but I've never got him drunk
enough to get the recipe.

Lou
Old 23-01-2009, 05:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" wrote in message
Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of garlic
bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it
be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Thx.

-Jared

(Gots to eat muh veggies!)

I always go with a green vegetable with pasta. You definitely do not want
squash or any other heavy veggie. I like garlic buttered peas, green beans,
brussel sprouts, lima beans, and even broccoli. I usually reserve broccoli
for the evening we are having sea food. Just me. Make the vegetable
colorful and not too filling to accompany the lasagna.

Later,

Dale P

Old 23-01-2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"phaeton" wrote in message
Do any?

I've always had lasagna pretty much by itself, or with some sort of garlic
bread.

But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it
be?

Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

Salad.

Yes, or broccoli.

gloria p
Old 23-01-2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote
wilted spinach

Never thought of that. It sounds good.

Old 23-01-2009, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I would make a salad that has some crunch to it....romaine, cucs,
tomatoes, sort of a Greek salad but no cheese....enough in the lasagne.
Best wishes,
Ellie
FINALLY! Rain in SF....very much needed.

Country Vegetable Lasagna Duckie Recipes 0 19-01-2006 02:18 PM
New Vegetable Lasagna 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 27-11-2004 05:52 AM
Light Vegetable Lasagna 7Hawks Recipes 0 07-11-2004 04:58 AM
Vegetable Lasagna Debi Moseley Recipes (moderated) 0 04-07-2004 01:26 PM
Vegetable Cheese Lasagna Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 29-06-2004 02:24 PM