Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What vegetable goes with Lasagna?

Gloria wrote:

>> I'd recommend whatever is in season and looks best at the market to
>> accompany the lasagna. In the midst of winter, I'd serve cardoons stewed
>> in olive oil with garlic, lemon, and red pepper flakes, for example.

> Interesting. I wouldn't know a cardoon from a cardigan and I'd assume
> they taste pretty similar.

Cardoons look like a kind of mutant celery, but they're related to
artichokes and they taste like artichokes. I mentioned them in particular
because they're in season now, and they make a nice change from the
more-common winter vegetables like kale, broccoli, or winter squash.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Good choice, Jared! I think I would like to have them at the same time, nice
> contrast of flavor and texture.

True, but there are a lot of other great suggestions in this thread.
I'll definitely try a bunch of these next time.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 7:51*pm, phaeton > wrote:

> But if you were to add a vegetable on the side of lasagna, what would it be?
>
> Plz don't say squash or zuccini though.

I like a crisp salad with oil and vinegar. Any hot vegetable might
tempt someone to smother it with butter, and the lasagna's rich
enough. You wanna offset that richness with something fairly cool and
bland/bitter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:31:26 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>On Jan 22, 10:38?pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:02:52 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
>> wrote:

>> >Giardiniera

>> Giardiniera confuses people shemp. ?If you were to use enough Chicago
>> style giardiniera to consider it a side dish you'll be very sorry. ?If
>> you use the pickled spring mix in white vinegar I think it would pair
>> up poorly. ?I do use Chicago style giardiniera on beefs, pizza,
>> lasagna, eggplant / chicken / veal parmesan and it's a perfect blend.
>>
>> But it's not a side dish, it's a condiment. ?
>>
>> I've looked at recipes for years to make my own but never been
>> impressed enough to try one of them. ?Plus the fact that there's
>> always at least 10 brands on the store shelves and at the deli counter
>> so the motivation isn't there. ?An it's dirt cheap to buy. ?I do know
>> someone who makes a fabulous product but I've never got him drunk
>> enough to get the recipe. ?
>>
>> Lou ?

>So essentially what you're saying is that you're an ignorant
>*******... I heartily agree.

I don't consider the opinion of someone who buys spam by the case
worthwhile listening to.

>That hacked up Chicago style compost
>(tantamount to hot dog relish) is not anything like real Italian
>Giardiniera.

I said people get confused. Guess you did too even though you're
hardly a people.

>At a real Italian deli the display of Giardiniera is a
>work of art...

What does that have to do with the price of toothpicks?

>it's the perfect vegetable accompaniment to any Italian
>meal.

Any? <laugh>

>Giardiniera is the Italian version of health salad one would
>find at a Kosher deli, only a far fancier presentation... often
>displayed in an intricate mosaic in very large decorative glass
>vessels.

Thanks for the education. <snork> I'll add Mexicans have their
version too. I forget what they call it and I'm not gonna google it.
That doesn't mean it's going to be good with lasagna. Not that
lasagna needs a side.

>There ain't much authentic about Chicago's Little Italy, even
>that deep trough slop they call pizza is a farce.

You've never been to Chicago because someone would have made sure you
returned in a casket.

Lou

Country Vegetable Lasagna Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-01-2006 01:18 PM
New Vegetable Lasagna 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 27-11-2004 04:52 AM
Light Vegetable Lasagna 7Hawks Recipes 0 07-11-2004 03:58 AM
Vegetable Lasagna Debi Moseley Recipes (moderated) 0 04-07-2004 01:26 PM
Vegetable Cheese Lasagna Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 29-06-2004 02:24 PM