FoodBanter.com

-   -   What is a substitute for kitchen twine? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/167198-what-substitute-kitchen-twine.html)

Kris[_1_] 23-01-2009 12:33 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

Hi all,

I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
before I put them in the oven.

Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
the stuff!

Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
into the meat/sauce!

What do you guys think?

Any help is much appreciated,
Kris

Mr. Bill[_2_] 23-01-2009 12:52 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
wrote:

> I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
>before I put them in the oven.

Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. Probably 100% less
than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
supplier.

Kris[_1_] 23-01-2009 01:10 AM

On Jan 22, 6:52*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> > I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> >before I put them in the oven.

> Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. * *Probably 100% less
> than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
> supplier. *

Excellent idea! There's an Ace nearby, too.

BTW, I was checking "high end" stores because I figured they were more
likely to carry it.

So the string is a bad idea? I was a bit worried it would "cut" into
the meat a little.

Thank you,
Kris

notbob 23-01-2009 01:15 AM

On 2009-01-22, Kris > wrote:

> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.

Unwaxed dental floss?

nb

Dimitri 23-01-2009 01:37 AM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

Go to a hardware store and get some cotton twine or ask the butcher at your
high end store meat department.

Dimitri

Arri London 23-01-2009 02:10 AM

Kris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?

Plain cotton string. Or else toothpicks.

Sheldon 23-01-2009 02:24 AM

On Jan 22, 6:33�pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. �I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. �I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

I have three kinds of kitchen twine; French butcher twine made of
linen (Williams-Sonoma), American butcher twine made of cotton
(alliedkenco.com), and heavy cotton crochet thread:
http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/...et-cotton.html

In an emergency any white string or heavyweight thread will work

Sqwertz 23-01-2009 02:46 AM

Kris > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!

Linen's and Things and/or Bed Bath and Beyond (whichever one is
still open) sells re-usable silicone rubber bands. I saw them there
again last week. You can also find them at drug stores sold as hair
bands.

-sw

-sw

-sw

Chemiker 23-01-2009 03:26 AM

wrote:

>Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
>would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
>That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
>into the meat/sauce!
>
>What do you guys think?

Check out your local kitchen supply house. Maybe Williams-
Sonoma, Kitchen Collection, etc. Look for silicone ties. They
are a little like those plastic handcuffs, but made of food-
grade silicone. They can be wrapped around your braciole,
do not taint the food, and can be unsnapped before
serving. Dishwasher safe and reusable.

Look here...

http://marketplace.hgtv.com/Product....7EB1C&From=iFP

HTH,

Alex

Toronto 23-01-2009 03:26 AM

On Jan 22, 6:33*pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. *I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. *I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!

I happened to see an Alton Brown ("Good Eats") episode the other day
where he dealt with the string/twine/core issue. He ended up
recommending linen twine, but I've used cotton without issues. Dollar
store cotton is pretty weak, but can be doubled up. Avoid sisle/hemp
or waxed twines for food use.

k 23-01-2009 04:32 AM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

Are you looking in the right place? In the supermarket, the butcher's twine
is often right in the meat case, at least around here (Northeast US). I
don't think it's any different than the regular kitchen twine we get at
Walmart or K-mart.

Good luck with the brasciole. We had it a few weeks ago and it was
wonderful.

k.

Gloria P 23-01-2009 05:09 AM

Kris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

I'd use those small metal skewers often used to truss turkeys.

gloria p

theron 23-01-2009 09:04 AM

"Kris" > wrote in message
On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> > I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> >before I put them in the oven.

> Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. Probably 100% less
> than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
> supplier.

Excellent idea! There's an Ace nearby, too.

BTW, I was checking "high end" stores because I figured they were more
likely to carry it.

So the string is a bad idea? I was a bit worried it would "cut" into
the meat a little.

Thank you,
Kris

Cotton twine is absolutely the best to use! Our local hardware has old
fashioned cotton twine, as, I'm sure, does yours. I have another secret I
haven't seen anywhere. To make bouquet garni, I use medical 4X4 bandages. I
buy them in bulk at a medical supply house. One package of several hundred
lasts a long long time. Since they're small, though with the right degree of
porosity, you waste much less of your stock than with cheesecloth. I use
this for making stock, and for any braised dish. Inside goes the dried or
fresh herbs, the celery tops, the parsley, and anything else you're using.

Theron

Omelet[_7_] 23-01-2009 08:11 PM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

In article
Kris > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

100% cotton twine.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Kris[_1_] 23-01-2009 08:50 PM

On Jan 23, 3:04*am, "Theron" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > > I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> > >before I put them in the oven.

> > Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. Probably 100% less
> > than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
> > supplier.

> Excellent idea! There's an Ace nearby, too.
>
> BTW, I was checking "high end" stores because I figured they were more
> likely to carry it.
>
> So the string is a bad idea? I was a bit worried it would "cut" into
> the meat a little.
>
> Thank you,
> Kris
>
> Cotton twine is absolutely the best to use! Our local hardware has old
> fashioned cotton twine, as, I'm sure, does yours. *I have another secret I
> haven't seen anywhere. To make bouquet garni, I use medical 4X4 bandages. *I
> buy them in bulk at a medical supply house. One package of several hundred
> lasts a long long time. Since they're small, though with the right degree of
> porosity, you waste much less of your stock than with cheesecloth. I use
> this for making stock, and for any braised dish. Inside goes the dried or
> fresh herbs, the celery tops, the parsley, and anything else you're using..
>
> Theron

Well, I can see that this newsgroup is fll of resourceful cooks! I
went to my Ace and bought cotton twine. Ironically enough, they also
had kitchen twine (so much for my "high end" store theory!) - the same
price for about 1/4th of the twine!

I also love the idea of medical gauze for garnis - I will remember
that one when my current cheesecloth runs out!

Thanks to all! I now can enjoy making my braciole without stress!
(Giada's recipe - really delicious by all acoounts so far!)

Have a great weekend,
Kris

Janet Wilder[_3_] 23-01-2009 11:36 PM

Theron wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message
> On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
>>> before I put them in the oven.

>> Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. Probably 100% less
>> than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
>> supplier.

> Excellent idea! There's an Ace nearby, too.
>
> BTW, I was checking "high end" stores because I figured they were more
> likely to carry it.
>
> So the string is a bad idea? I was a bit worried it would "cut" into
> the meat a little.
>
> Thank you,
> Kris
>>

> Cotton twine is absolutely the best to use! Our local hardware has old
> fashioned cotton twine, as, I'm sure, does yours. I have another secret I
> haven't seen anywhere. To make bouquet garni, I use medical 4X4 bandages. I
> buy them in bulk at a medical supply house. One package of several hundred
> lasts a long long time. Since they're small, though with the right degree of
> porosity, you waste much less of your stock than with cheesecloth. I use
> this for making stock, and for any braised dish. Inside goes the dried or
> fresh herbs, the celery tops, the parsley, and anything else you're using.

What a great idea! I happen to have most of a "loaf" of gauze "sponges"
in 4 x 4 size. I never thought of using them for that purpose. Thanks
ever so much.

Goomba[_2_] 24-01-2009 12:02 AM

Janet Wilder wrote:

> What a great idea! I happen to have most of a "loaf" of gauze "sponges"
> in 4 x 4 size. I never thought of using them for that purpose. Thanks
> ever so much.

Try to find packaged "burn gauze" next time. The guaze is larger and
folded into multiple layers for a "pad" but can be opened up and separated.

Chemiker 24-01-2009 12:30 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

Um, Nurse? Are those radiopaque or just standard 4x4's?

Std 4x4's are ok, but the Surg. sponges have a chemical in that
black thread inside. But, what's wrong with plain cheesecloth?
I've done meats totally wrapped, and unwrapped them only
at the end to allow browning. My mum used to roast her
turkeys breast up, covered with CC, and basted through the
cloth.

Alex, making lamb/tomato/cabbage soup

zxcvbob 24-01-2009 12:46 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

No one has mentioned catgut yet?

Bob

Janet Wilder[_3_] 24-01-2009 04:31 AM

Goomba wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>

>> What a great idea! I happen to have most of a "loaf" of gauze
>> "sponges" in 4 x 4 size. I never thought of using them for that
>> purpose. Thanks ever so much.

> Try to find packaged "burn gauze" next time. The guaze is larger and
> folded into multiple layers for a "pad" but can be opened up and separated.

So can these. Into two parts, IIRC.

I didn't exactly shop for them. I had them as dressings after some
surgery left a huge hole in my abdomen that had to be dressed with wound
gel and this gauze stuff. The hospital gave me this enormous package the
size of a loaf of bread and I still have a large portion left over.

theron 24-01-2009 05:02 AM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Goomba wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>

>>> What a great idea! I happen to have most of a "loaf" of gauze "sponges"
>>> in 4 x 4 size. I never thought of using them for that purpose. Thanks
>>> ever so much.

>> Try to find packaged "burn gauze" next time. The guaze is larger and
>> folded into multiple layers for a "pad" but can be opened up and
>> separated.

> So can these. Into two parts, IIRC.
>
> I didn't exactly shop for them. I had them as dressings after some surgery
> left a huge hole in my abdomen that had to be dressed with wound gel and
> this gauze stuff. The hospital gave me this enormous package the size of a
> loaf of bread and I still have a large portion left over.

Janet, that large package of 4X4s is exactly what I'm referring to. Use one
4X4[as it's called] for each bouquet garni. I wouldn't use individually
wrapped 4X4s, if for no other reason, cost. I've been using the 4X4s for
years. When you walk into the medical supply house, you simply ask for a
package of "bulk four by fours". I hope William Sonoma isn't listening to
this.

Theron

Jean B.[_1_] 24-01-2009 02:31 PM

Kris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

Kampyo (dried gourd strips):

http://z.about.com/d/japanesefood/1/0/x/3/kampyo.gif

Don't you have some lying around? <g>

--
Jean B.

Sheldon 24-01-2009 03:05 PM

"Theron" > wrote:

> Janet, that large package of 4X4s is exactly what I'm referring
> to. �Use one 4X4[as it's called] for each bouquet garni.

Yoose all living in the dark ages... stainless steel infusers are far
more convenient.

http://www.thefind.com/kitchen/brows...s-mesh-infuser

Janet Wilder[_3_] 24-01-2009 05:18 PM

Theron wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Try to find packaged "burn gauze" next time. The guaze is larger and
>>> folded into multiple layers for a "pad" but can be opened up and
>>> separated.

>> So can these. Into two parts, IIRC.
>>
>> I didn't exactly shop for them. I had them as dressings after some surgery
>> left a huge hole in my abdomen that had to be dressed with wound gel and
>> this gauze stuff. The hospital gave me this enormous package the size of a
>> loaf of bread and I still have a large portion left over.
>>

> Janet, that large package of 4X4s is exactly what I'm referring to. Use one
> 4X4[as it's called] for each bouquet garni. I wouldn't use individually
> wrapped 4X4s, if for no other reason, cost. I've been using the 4X4s for
> years. When you walk into the medical supply house, you simply ask for a
> package of "bulk four by fours". I hope William Sonoma isn't listening to
> this.

email me your address, I'll send you some. As I said, I have a huge
package that the supply room at MD Anderson called a "loaf"

sf[_9_] 24-01-2009 06:58 PM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:04:06 -0800, "Theron" >
wrote:

>To make bouquet garni, I use medical 4X4 bandages. I
>buy them in bulk at a medical supply house. One package of several hundred
>lasts a long long time. Since they're small, though with the right degree of
>porosity, you waste much less of your stock than with cheesecloth. I use
>this for making stock, and for any braised dish. Inside goes the dried or
>fresh herbs, the celery tops, the parsley, and anything else you're using.

I use a large tea ball for that purpose.

Mae West

JonquilJan 25-01-2009 12:24 AM

Jean B. > wrote in message
> Kris wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> > this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> > before I put them in the oven.
> >
> > Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> > have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> > the stuff!
> >
> > Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> > would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> > That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> > into the meat/sauce!

Dental floss. Don't pull too hard on the knots.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

theron 25-01-2009 01:48 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Theron wrote:

>>> So can these. Into two parts, IIRC.
>>>
>>> I didn't exactly shop for them. I had them as dressings after some
>>> surgery left a huge hole in my abdomen that had to be dressed with wound
>>> gel and this gauze stuff. The hospital gave me this enormous package the
>>> size of a loaf of bread and I still have a large portion left over.
>>>

>> Janet, that large package of 4X4s is exactly what I'm referring to. Use
>> one 4X4[as it's called] for each bouquet garni. I wouldn't use
>> individually wrapped 4X4s, if for no other reason, cost. I've been using
>> the 4X4s for years. When you walk into the medical supply house, you
>> simply ask for a package of "bulk four by fours". I hope William Sonoma
>> isn't listening to this.
>>

> email me your address, I'll send you some. As I said, I have a huge
> package that the supply room at MD Anderson called a "loaf"

Janet, I have the same loaf!
Thanks,

Theron

Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] 25-01-2009 02:29 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Hi all,
>
>I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
>this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
>before I put them in the oven.
>
>Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
>have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
>the stuff!

<snip>

I've used both button and carpet thread, kite string and warping
string (for weaving) and am of the opinion that about any sturdy
string will do.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Kswck 25-01-2009 05:24 PM

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> before I put them in the oven.
>
> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
> the stuff!
>
> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
> into the meat/sauce!
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any help is much appreciated,
> Kris

Meat counter at any stupidmarket. Any butcher will give ya some.

sf[_9_] 23-02-2009 05:37 AM

What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:37:56 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Kris" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am making some beef Braciole (Italian beef rolls) for a dinner party
>> this weekend. I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
>> before I put them in the oven.
>>
>> Now, it's been a while since I bought kitchen twine and as luck would
>> have it, I'm out. I have gone to 2 high-end groceries and can't find
>> the stuff!
>>
>> Not wanting to torment myself further, I'm wondering if something else
>> would work in its place. I was thinking of (heavy duty) thread.
>> That's all I have besides sisal/twine - which I'm afraid would shed
>> into the meat/sauce!
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated,
>> Kris

>Go to a hardware store and get some cotton twine or ask the butcher at your
>high end store meat department.

HA! A hardware store? Really? I ran out of my cotton twine that was
sold as kite string (but used for kitchen purposes) and need to
replace it.

Mae West