Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Save your money or test with paper and foil baking cups

I split a batch of blueberry ** muffins in two. Six with those paper
and foil baking cups ( I got 'em really cheap on a closeout bec. of
some holiday decor). I put batter in some plain paper cups and some
batter in just a foil cup. Then I plopped all samplings into a plain
old MIrro muffin pan.

Result: you lose a lot of the food when you peel off the cups, be it
foil or paper. The muffins from the plain pan had a nice outer
'crust' and hardly anything stuck to the pan. ( I gave that half of
the pan a quick shot of cooking spray.)

One more frugality in the kitchen. Oh, sure, it took a little soaking
and scrubbing of the muffin pan but I didn't mind. I won't ever buy
those baking cups again.

** By the way, frozen blueberries are 4.69 in my market. Still beats
paying 3.69 for 4 bakery made muffins which are really like CAKE. I
prob. can get 4 dozen muffins tho out of that 4.69 bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think probably the foil/paper muffin cups popularity came from
sending muffins to school with the kiddies. Their grubby little hands
were handling the muffins and it aided in frosting them, too. I don't
know if I'd want to eat them if someone had been handling my 'naked'
muffins with their bare hands while doing a frosting job.

No proof, just an opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> I think probably the foil/paper muffin cups popularity came from
> sending muffins to school with the kiddies. Their grubby little hands
> were handling the muffins and it aided in frosting them, too. I don't
> know if I'd want to eat them if someone had been handling my 'naked'
> muffins with their bare hands while doing a frosting job.

I thought the idea behind the foil muffin cups was you could
make a whole bunch on a sheet pan. So you could make
enough for a class in record time. I'm probably wrong, but
I did that once. Worked out fine.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 4:30*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> > I think probably the foil/paper muffin cups popularity came from
> > sending muffins to school with the kiddies. *Their grubby little hands
> > were handling the muffins and it aided in frosting them, too. *I don't
> > know if I'd want to eat them if someone had been handling my 'naked'
> > muffins with their bare hands while doing a frosting job.

> I thought the idea behind the foil muffin cups was you could
> make a whole bunch on a sheet pan. *So you could make
> enough for a class in record time. *I'm probably wrong, but
> I did that once. *Worked out fine. *
>
> nancy

You're probably right!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Jan 14, 4:30 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I thought the idea behind the foil muffin cups was you could
>> make a whole bunch on a sheet pan. So you could make
>> enough for a class in record time. I'm probably wrong, but
>> I did that once. Worked out fine.

> You're probably right!

That's what happens when you let the non-bakers wander
unattended in the baking aisle. But I did make a lot of
cupcakes for a friend's son's birthday at school once,
using the foil cups instead of a muffin tin.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 4:30 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> I thought the idea behind the foil muffin cups was you could
>>> make a whole bunch on a sheet pan. So you could make
>>> enough for a class in record time. I'm probably wrong, but
>>> I did that once. Worked out fine.

>> You're probably right!

> That's what happens when you let the non-bakers wander
> unattended in the baking aisle. But I did make a lot of cupcakes for a
> friend's son's birthday at school once,
> using the foil cups instead of a muffin tin.
> nancy

I'm thinking back many, many years, but I do recall making cupcakes in
cake-like ice cream cones. You stood the cones in muffin tins, poured
the batter in them and when they were baked and cool, iced them.

They looked like ice cream cones and were all the rage at Cambridge
Elementary School in Kendall Park (South Brunswick Township), NJ in the
mid-late 1970's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 4:43*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> I'm thinking back many, many years, but I do recall making cupcakes in
> cake-like ice cream cones. You stood the cones in muffin tins, poured
> the batter in them and when they were baked and cool, iced them....

Janet, I'm wondering if buttering the outside of the cones before
filling them with batter could make them crispier outside when baked.
Anyone's thoughts on this?
....Picks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 5:07*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> I think probably the foil/paper muffin cups popularity came from
> sending muffins to school with the kiddies. *Their grubby little hands
> were handling the muffins and it aided in frosting them, too. *I don't
> know if I'd want to eat them if someone had been handling my 'naked'
> muffins with their bare hands while doing a frosting job.
>
> No proof, just an opinion.

I bought them with the idea that I wouldn't have to soak and scrub the
muffin pan.

If the muffins have been refrigerated, (a dozen last about three days
around here - I refrigerate to keep out of cat paws and also to
prevent a moldy blueberries - nothing like it) , the foil cup peels
off nicely with little waste, but no so for the paper one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> On Jan 14, 4:43 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I'm thinking back many, many years, but I do recall making cupcakes in
>> cake-like ice cream cones. You stood the cones in muffin tins, poured
>> the batter in them and when they were baked and cool, iced them....

> Janet, I'm wondering if buttering the outside of the cones before
> filling them with batter could make them crispier outside when baked.
> Anyone's thoughts on this?
> ...Picks

Sounds good to me. Since I don't have little ones any longer, the need
for birthday cupcakes to send to school has vanished from my life (thank
goodness!) If anyone wants to give this theory a try and report back,
two of us are interested <vbg>

Paper Cups Space Cowboy Tea 0 16-02-2011 01:34 PM
Save Money Here!!! Sven General Cooking 5 26-02-2008 09:31 AM
***Save money on your taxes**** mailjob1 General Cooking 0 29-01-2007 02:23 AM
help cleaning enamel pot- was covered w/foil paper in oven- help KOS General Cooking 6 02-04-2006 08:14 PM
Need info on the price for customized paper cups [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 03-05-2005 10:07 AM