Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okra Redux

Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot

Yum.

So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>
> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>
> Yum.
>
> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

Roasting or breading/frying.

Serene

--
Super Cool Toy Store (I've played with them, and they really are super
cool): http://supercooltoystore.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>
>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>
>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>
>Yum.
>
>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen.
My bad.

I bake it usually. For wht that's worth.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>>
>> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>>
>> Yum.
>>
>> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
>> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
>>

> Roasting or breading/frying.

Roasting! I think that was what I read. Thanks. Breading and frying
sounds good. Must be a way to work in a little bacon, too.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>

>>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>>
>>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>>
>>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>>
>>Yum.
>>
>>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
>>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

> There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
> bad.

Thawed by then, but still wet.

I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.

> I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
> modom

Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
try it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>

>>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>>
>>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>>
>>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>>
>>Yum.
>>
>>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
>>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

> There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
> bad.

Second Response: You're right. There is some ice there, that I didn't
see.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>
> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
>
> Yum.
>
> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

Steam it whole and uncut! The snot oozes from the cut surfaces.

The trick is to not overcook it.

Blanching works well too.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

BTW, NICE pic!
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
> >>
> >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
> >>
> >> WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
> >>
> >> Yum.
> >>
> >> So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
> >> other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?
> >>

> > Roasting or breading/frying.

> Roasting! I think that was what I read. Thanks. Breading and frying
> sounds good. Must be a way to work in a little bacon, too.

Y'know, that gives me an idea!

I've split, cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped and BBQ'd jalapeno peppers.
I wonder how a similar recipe would work with okra pods???
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:18:35 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
> >>
> >>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
> >>
> >>WSANVS: Work Safe And No Visible Snot
> >>
> >>Yum.
> >>
> >>So while *I* don't mind the snot, did someone mention steaming it, the
> >>other day, to prevent its snotfulness? Nuking it? What?

> > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
> > bad.

> Thawed by then, but still wet.
>
> I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.
>
> > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
> > modom

> Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
> it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
> try it.

There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
in from Mexico.

Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
their political act together!

They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:36:15 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article . net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

>> > There's ice in that pic. Wait. It's winter and all okra is frozen. My
>> > bad.

>> Thawed by then, but still wet.
>>
>> I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.
>>
>> > I bake it usually. For wht that's worth. --
>> > modom

>> Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
>> it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
>> try it.

>There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
>in from Mexico.
>
>Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
>their political act together!
>
>They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...

Water is an issue:
http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_...?uNewsID=69260

Sometimes the Rio Grande is almost dry because of all the irrigation
from its tributaries in Mexico, especially the Concho.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you are making a vegetable soup, you can buy a handful of okra, slice
it and add it to the pot, early. The okra will make the soup nice and
thick.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:36:15 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article . net>,
> > Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> >> Thawed by then, but still wet.
> >>
> >> I *think* I saw fresh okra at the farmer's market last weekend.

> >> Thanks. Serene just suggested roasting and frying breaded, too. For me,
> >> it's not about getting rid of the snot, but just about different ways to
> >> try it.

> >There is currently fresh okra at the grocery store. It's probably coming
> >in from Mexico.
> >
> >Mexico could literally be the bread basket of the world if they'd get
> >their political act together!
> >
> >They could be a wealthy nation from growing and exporting food...

> Water is an issue:
> http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_...cfm?uNewsID=69
> 260
>
> Sometimes the Rio Grande is almost dry because of all the irrigation
> from its tributaries in Mexico, especially the Concho.

Even in Central Mexico?
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

> BTW, NICE pic!

Why, thank you, Om.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Blinky the Shark >
> newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105 @thurston.blinkynet.net: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

> What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not putting
> it into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but your okra
> looks good enough to eat :-)

And in fact, I ended up eating the whole pound (about twice that dish)
yesterday, in two shifts. My skin is only a little green today.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> If you are making a vegetable soup, you can buy a handful of okra, slice
> it and add it to the pot, early. The okra will make the soup nice and
> thick.

Yup, it's a great addition to a vegetable soup, you don't need much.
Freshlike (frozen veg brand) makes a "Soup Mix" that includes it...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> Hey, I haven't posted a link to an okra shot in a while!
>>>
>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg
>>>

> Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

Thanks. To snot or not to snot; that is the question.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:21:03 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark >
>> newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105 @thurston.blinkynet.net: in
>> rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/food/okra01_small.jpg

>> What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not putting
>> it into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but your okra
>> looks good enough to eat :-)

>And in fact, I ended up eating the whole pound (about twice that dish)
>yesterday, in two shifts. My skin is only a little green today.

What about your gills?
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:21:24 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>koko wrote:

>> Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

>Thanks. To snot or not to snot; that is the question.

Some would think it'snot that important.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 01/11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:21:24 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>koko wrote:

>>> Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

>>Thanks. To snot or not to snot; that is the question.

> Some would think it'snot that important.

Bu tit is to some.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:21:03 -0800, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>>
>>> Blinky the Shark >
>>> newsan.2009.01.11.04.18.32.708105 @thurston.blinkynet.net: in
>>> rec.food.cooking

>>> What a nice shot Blink. I almost always deep fry okra if I'm not
>>> putting it into a soup or stew. Can't help you on the questions but
>>> your okra looks good enough to eat :-)

>>And in fact, I ended up eating the whole pound (about twice that dish)
>>yesterday, in two shifts. My skin is only a little green today.

> What about your gills?

They're included in that cast.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:21:24 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
> >koko wrote:

> >> Personally, I like the snot shot best, but both are great photos.

> >Thanks. To snot or not to snot; that is the question.

> Some would think it'snot that important.
>
> koko

One has a nose for these things...

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
Grilled Okra Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-06-2008 03:55 AM
Fried Okra Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2004 06:44 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM