Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Audrey > wrote:

> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.

What kind of rib roast? Beef? Veal? Pork? Lamb/mutton? If it is
beef, how many ribs? Probably two, at most, at that weight. If so, I'd
divide it into individual rib steaks and cook them as such.

If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
(anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in news:7E9al.5325$Es4.3780
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

1 x 3lb prime rib roast recipe, coming up!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2039223_article-title-url.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 12:51*pm, "Audrey" > wrote:
> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. *I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. *I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> roasts. *I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
you'll soon find out. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in news:67652ed2-b258-4ed7-8874-
> :
>

> > On Jan 10, 12:51*pm, "Audrey" > wrote:
> >> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. *I have a
> >> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> >> and what method I should use in preparing it. *I've made much
> >> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> >> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> >> roasts. *I could sure use your expert advise.
> >> Audrey

> > It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
> > important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
> > desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
> > continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
> > roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
> > you'll soon find out. Good luck!

> I've *never* used a meat thermometer...... and my roasts have always come
> out just as we want them. (Med-rare)

You're an experienced cook. How does the fact that your roasts come
out just as you like help a person that has never cooked a 3 lb roast
before?

I'm an experienced cook and what I've learned is that I need a
thermometer. Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
bad person? :-)

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
>
> Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in
:

> On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas > wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote in news:67652ed2-b258-4ed7-8874-
>> :

>> > It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is
>> > also important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before
>> > your desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the
>> > roast will continue to rise after you remove it from the oven.
>> > OTOH, with a 3 lb roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5
>> > degrees? Anyway, you'll soon find out. Good luck!

>> I've *never* used a meat thermometer...... and my roasts have always
>> come out just as we want them. (Med-rare)

> You're an experienced cook. How does the fact that your roasts come
> out just as you like help a person that has never cooked a 3 lb roast
> before?

She has cooked rib roasts before.

It's not brain surgery.

> I'm an experienced cook and what I've learned is that I need a
> thermometer.

And what happens when it breaks/the batterries run out?? Do you go
hungry till you get a new one??

Use your clock.......

http://www.australian-beef.com/beef/recipes/roast.html

"Beef roast cuts such as Rib, Rib Eye, Tri Tip, Tenderloin, and
Sirloin...

Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)

Oven Temp Rare Medium Well Done

390°F (200°C) 15-20 mins 20-25 mins 25-30 mins

> Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
> bad person? :-)

[SHOCK!!! HORROR!!!] You're *not* into meat much???!!!

See .sig below ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 2:10*pm, PLucas > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote :
>

> > On Jan 10, 1:23*pm, PLucas > wrote:
> >> dsi1 > wrote in news:67652ed2-b258-4ed7-8874-
> >> :

> >> I've *never* used a meat thermometer...... and my roasts have always
> >> come out just as we want them. (Med-rare)

> > You're an experienced cook. How does the fact that your roasts come
> > out just as you like help a person that has never cooked a 3 lb roast
> > before?

> She has cooked rib roasts before.
>
> It's not brain surgery.
>

> > I'm an experienced cook and what I've learned is that I need a
> > thermometer.

> And what happens when it breaks/the batterries run out?? Do you go
> hungry till you get a new one??

We don't need batteries for thermometers where I'm from! You should
check these out - they're great! :-)

> Use your clock.......

And what happens when it breaks/the batterries run out?? Do you go
hungry till you get a new one??

> http://www.australian-beef.com/beef/recipes/roast.html
>
> "Beef roast cuts such as Rib, Rib Eye, Tri Tip, Tenderloin, and
> Sirloin...
>
> *Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)
>
> Oven Temp * * * *Rare * * *Medium * * * Well Done
>
> 390°F (200°C) *15-20 mins *20-25 mins * 25-30 mins
>
> > Then again, I ain't into meat much. Does this make me a
> > bad person? :-)

> [SHOCK!!! HORROR!!!] You're *not* into meat much???!!!

If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole too.
Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
dig Spam! :-)

> See .sig below ;-)
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
>
> Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:

> Audrey > wrote:
>
>> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
>> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
>> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
>> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
>> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
>> roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.

> What kind of rib roast? Beef? Veal? Pork? Lamb/mutton?

It's horse, obviously.

Duh.

Season and sear your *beef* ribs on both sides, then into an oven at
275 until it reaches 130F for med-rare.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

> It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
> important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
> desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
> continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
> roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
> you'll soon find out. Good luck!

That is completely dependant on the size of the meat and the temp at
which you roast it. A roast taken out of a 275F degrees oven will
not rise in temp more than two degrees, 1 if it's 3lbs or less.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PLucas > wrote:

> Suggested Roasting Times per pound (500 grams)
>
> Oven Temp Rare Medium Well Done
>
> 390°F (200°C) 15-20 mins 20-25 mins 25-30 mins

390F? Never had properly cooked beef, have you.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
> crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
> and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
> then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
> minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
> (anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
> 30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
> juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

Surely not 90 deg. F, Victor. That is below human body temperature!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in message
> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a defrosted 3 pound
> standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long and what method I should use
> in preparing it. I've made much larger standing ribs before but never one
> this small and all the recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8
> to 10 pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

Is this a 1 rib roast, or is it boneless and from the end? We just had a
small 2 rib[ribs 11 and 12] standing rib roast. It weighed just over 5 lb.
I'd slather the cut ends with bacon fat, and roast at a very low temp.
275-300F. I wouldn't do anything to brown the cut ends. Cooks Illustrated
just had an article about charing meat and whether it helps moisture
retention. They say charing or searing doesn't affect the drying out of the
meat.

Thery

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

too.
> Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
> dig Spam! :-)

=====================

Hey! You ARE from Hawaii!
Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
switched to SPAM Lite!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:29:59p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

> On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

> too.
>> Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
>> dig Spam! :-)

> ====================
> Hey! You ARE from Hawaii!
> Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
> switched to SPAM Lite!

I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. Me, the very
sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. Odd thing, though, is that I
absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 1dys 3hrs 26mins
I like work; it fascinates me; I can sit and look at it for hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 3:01*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> > It's most important to have an accurate meat thermometer. It is also
> > important to remember to take it out about 8 degrees before your
> > desired final temperature. The internal temperature of the roast will
> > continue to rise after you remove it from the oven. OTOH, with a 3 lb
> > roast, the "heat soak" effect might be less - 5 degrees? Anyway,
> > you'll soon find out. Good luck!

> That is completely dependant on the size of the meat and the temp at
> which you roast it. *A roast taken out of a 275F degrees oven will
> not rise in temp more than two degrees, 1 if it's 3lbs or less.
>
> -sw

I think that you are right about this. Too be honest, I have not heard
of cooking a roast at 200 or 275 but it makes a lot of sense to do
this to reduce that temperature increase after removing it out of the
oven. On my next roast, I'll split the difference and set the oven at
250...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Audrey" > wrote:

> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all the
> recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10 pound
> roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

I did a 3-1/2" rib roast for Christmas dinner, Audrey. I left it at
room temp for 2-3 hours, rubbed it with the stuff that came with it, put
it on a meat rack and roasted it at 400 degrees for 30 minutes to brown
it, then reduced the temp to 325 and figured about 18 minutes a pound, I
think, until it got to whatever the internal temp is for medium (140? I
don't remember). It was on the rare side for color (my son-in-law
doesn't like it looking that red, especially) but dipping a slice into
hot beef broth for maybe a minute took care of the redness without
really cooking the meat any further. It was a smashing success.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 5:29*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> *> If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole
> too.
>
> > Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
> > dig Spam! :-)

> =====================
>
> Hey! *You ARE from Hawaii!
> Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
> switched to SPAM Lite!

You might find this hard to believe but one can order a breakfast from
McDonalds with Spam. Rice too. I know, I can hardly believe it
myself! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 5:36*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:29:59p, Lynn from Fargo told us...
>
> > On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> > > If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

> > too.
> >> Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
> >> dig Spam! :-)

> > ====================
> > Hey! *You ARE from Hawaii!
> > Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
> > switched to SPAM Lite!

> I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. *Me, the very
> sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. *Odd thing, though, is that I
> absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. <g>

Whatever you do, don't read the ingredients listed on the can while
you're eating the Underwood spread!

I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
and because the canned product was more available after WWII. We also
prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
popular brand.

> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply) * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> Date: * * * * * * Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * * * *Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *1wks 1dys 3hrs 26mins * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> * *I like work; it fascinates me; I can sit and look at it for hours. *
> ************************************************** **********************

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:50:12p, dsi1 told us...

> On Jan 10, 5:36*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:

>> > too.

>> > ===================
>> > Hey! *You ARE from Hawaii!
>> > Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
>> > switched to SPAM Lite!

>> I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. *Me, the very
>> sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. *Odd thing, though, is that

>> absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. <g>

> Whatever you do, don't read the ingredients listed on the can while
> you're eating the Underwood spread!

Too late! LOL! I already know what's in it. I suppose one reason I like
it is because we always had a can around the house for that moment when we
wanted something quick to spread on crackers or a sandwich.

OTOH, we *never* had Spam at home. My mother considered it garbage meat.
We also never had the typical luncheon meat at home, only good salami and
other Italian and German meats one could make a sandwich with.

> I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
> tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
> and because the canned product was more available after WWII. We also
> prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
> popular brand.

Understood. Isolation from a plentiful supply of fresh products can
certainly alter everyday habits and taste.

From what I understand, Spam was highly available almost everywhere after
WWII, and it was a cheaper alternative to a "real" piece of meat. Both
sides of my family had owned farms during those years, although they didn't
farm them themselves. They also raised cattle and hogs, and had them
butchered. Real meat was always plentiful.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 1dys 2hrs 53mins
Enter that again, just a little slower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
>> crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
>> and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
>> then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
>> minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
>> (anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
>> 30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
>> juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.
>>

> Surely not 90 deg. F, Victor. That is below human body temperature!

All his temps are way off for a properly cooked rib roast. UNless
you like really well-done meat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

> I think that you are right about this. Too be honest, I have not heard
> of cooking a roast at 200 or 275 but it makes a lot of sense to do
> this to reduce that temperature increase after removing it out of the
> oven. On my next roast, I'll split the difference and set the oven at
> 250...

That's where I cook any large price of meat (250F). A whole top
sirloin, a round tip, bottom round - anything bigger than 4lbs that
I'd like to make in sandwiches. And especially a rib roast for
eating as Prime Rib. This ensures an evenly cooked piece of rare to
medium beef.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
> > crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
> > and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
> > then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
> > minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
> > (anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
> > 30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
> > juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.

> Surely not 90 deg. F, Victor. That is below human body temperature!

Yes, and that is how it should be. Jacques Pépin (in _Jacques Pépin
Celebrates_) has a recipe for beef rib roast which calls for 85/90°F at
that stage. Notice also that the roast is supposed to be further kept
in a warm oven for some considerable time. That recipe by Pépin
specifies 160°F for resting in the oven, quite a bit higher than human
body temperature and raising the end temperature of the meat
accordingly.

Consider also that at that stage of the cooking the outside temperature
of the meat will be much higher than the inside one, as there is a
temperature gradient which levels off after the roast is left to rest.

There is a similar recipe in _The River Cottage Meat Book_ by Hugh
Fearnly-Whittingstall, the true bible of anyone remotely interested in
meat, which does not specify the internal temperature, but where the
sugested temperatures and cooking times per pound amount basically to a
very similar thing.

Just try it and see.

Alternatively, Pépin (in _Complete Techniques_) calls for the meat to be
roasted to 110°F internal temperature with a layer of fat placed on top,
and then, with the fat removed, for the top to be browned under the
broiler for a few minutes, with no further resting specified.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:02*pm, PLucas > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in news:af7aae15-4f9e-4b7d-8cdb-
> :
>

> > I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
> > tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
> > and because the canned product was more available after WWII.

> What are your beef prices like (in wherever you buy your meat) as
> compared to mainland USA?

It's about 20 to 30% higher.

> > We also
> > prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
> > popular brand.

> How do you get a fake soy sauce?
>
> It's made of soy beans, isn't it?

My understanding is that it not a fermented product. The soy mash is
treated with acid to break it down. This is faster than letting
bacteria work do the work. This produces a different tasting soy
sauce. It was developed after the war because regular production
methods were too slow. The product must have had a hard-sell in the
beginning but it was probably cheaper which would probably be it's
main selling point. These days, we prefer it here on this crazy
island. Spam too was probably a cheap alternative to meat too. Mostly
we like poverty food here...

> I just had a look at their website and watched the TV commercial!!!
>
> http://www.alohashoyu.com/#
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.
>
> Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> > I think that you are right about this. Too be honest, I have not heard
> > of cooking a roast at 200 or 275 but it makes a lot of sense to do
> > this to reduce that temperature increase after removing it out of the
> > oven. On my next roast, I'll split the difference and set the oven at
> > 250...

> That's where I cook any large price of meat (250F). *A whole top
> sirloin, a round tip, bottom round - anything bigger than 4lbs that
> I'd like to make in sandwiches. *And especially a rib roast for
> eating as Prime Rib. *This ensures an evenly cooked piece of rare to
> medium beef.

Thanks for the tip - I'm pretty sure it will work well for me. :-)
I've never been very good at some American foods like mash potatoes
and mac and cheese and potato salad. My wife is not that good of a
cook but she can make potato salad! I guess it's not in my genes...

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in message
> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all
> the recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10
> pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
> Audrey

Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to
Victor, Plucas and Melba. Just as an aside I am an experienced
cook and have been doing a pretty fair job of cooking for 50
years! It's just that we are now "empty nesters" and I no longer
need to cook an 8 to 10 pound BEEF standing rib unless it's for a
family/holiday meal.
Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in news:HXnal.5113$BC4.4315
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

> "Audrey" > wrote in message
>> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
>> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long
>> and what method I should use in preparing it. I've made much
>> larger standing ribs before but never one this small and all
>> the recipes I've seen are for at least 6 and usually 8 to 10
>> pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
>> Audrey

> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to
> Victor, Plucas and Melba. Just as an aside I am an experienced
> cook and have been doing a pretty fair job of cooking for 50
> years! It's just that we are now "empty nesters" and I no longer
> need to cook an 8 to 10 pound BEEF standing rib unless it's for a
> family/holiday meal.
> Audrey

*Or* unless you invite all of us around ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

You will travel through the valley of rejection;
you will reside in the land of morning mists...and you will find your
home,
though it will not be where you left it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Audrey > wrote:

> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to
> Victor, Plucas and Melba.

Maybe you should email them next time and not post here.
Many people gave you advice. And some of it sucked.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:51:07 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> If you still want to cook it whole, pat it with a mixture of dried
>> crushed oregano and thyme, black pepper, a bit of cayenne and paprika,
>> and salt, and roast in a hot oven (220°C/425°F) for about 30 minutes,
>> then reduce the temperature to 200°C/400°F und cook for about 30-45
>> minutes longer, until the inside temperature is 30°C/90°F at most
>> (anything higher is barbarous). Then let it rest in a warm oven for
>> 30-45 minutes. Resting will let it continue cooking for a bit and the
>> juices will be well distributed throughout the meat.
>>

> Surely not 90 deg. F, Victor. That is below human body temperature!
>
> gloria p

myself, i'm always half-baked.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 03:36:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:29:59p, Lynn from Fargo told us...
>
>> On Jan 10, 6:19*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>>> If I was a young dude in Oz I'd be stuffing meat into my pie hole

>> too.
>>> Meat is not really a big part of my culture where I'm from. Hell, we
>>> dig Spam! :-)

>> ====================
>> Hey! You ARE from Hawaii!
>> Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
>> switched to SPAM Lite!
>>

> I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. Me, the very
> sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. Odd thing, though, is that I
> absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. <g>

i've been having a craving for the damned stuff myself.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:50:12 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:

> I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
> tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
> and because the canned product was more available after WWII. We also
> prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
> popular brand.

i had to google aloha to see why you used the word 'fake.' i'm guessing
it's this:

INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL FACTS
Ingredients: Water, wheat (gluten soy beans), salt, sugar, caramel Coloring
and sodium benozoate, a preservative.

sounds like chun king. is the stuff even brewed? in a couple of places it
said it tasted 'sweet' rather than bitter like kikkoman.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:09:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:

> On Jan 10, 6:02*pm, PLucas > wrote:
>> dsi1 > wrote in news:af7aae15-4f9e-4b7d-8cdb-
>> :
>>
>>> We also
>>> prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
>>> popular brand.

>> How do you get a fake soy sauce?
>>
>> It's made of soy beans, isn't it?

> My understanding is that it not a fermented product. The soy mash is
> treated with acid to break it down. This is faster than letting
> bacteria work do the work. This produces a different tasting soy
> sauce. It was developed after the war because regular production
> methods were too slow. The product must have had a hard-sell in the
> beginning but it was probably cheaper which would probably be it's
> main selling point. These days, we prefer it here on this crazy
> island. Spam too was probably a cheap alternative to meat too. Mostly
> we like poverty food here...

ah, got it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in message

> "Audrey" > wrote in message
>> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a defrosted 3
>> pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how long and what method I
>> should use in preparing it. I've made much larger standing ribs before
>> but never one this small and all the recipes I've seen are for at least 6
>> and usually 8 to 10 pound roasts. I could sure use your expert advise.
>> Audrey

> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to Victor,
> Plucas and Melba. Just as an aside I am an experienced cook and have been
> doing a pretty fair job of cooking for 50 years! It's just that we are
> now "empty nesters" and I no longer need to cook an 8 to 10 pound BEEF
> standing rib unless it's for a family/holiday meal.
> Audrey

Audrey, my thanks to you for a question that addresses common unanswered
questioins about roasting a standing rib roast. Every time I roast one, on
the grill or in the oven, I wish I'd done something different, even though
it's usually unclear what that might be. As A. Kinji Alt in Cooks
Illustrated suggested as with a thick steak, I'm to go roast the next
standing rib at 275F. I won't sear the uncut surfaces. I think this is done
because it happens with any higher roasting temp. Hopefully it will end up a
uniform pink to pink from end to end.
Again, thanks for provoking,

Thery

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

> My understanding is that it not a fermented product. The soy mash is
> treated with acid to break it down. This is faster than letting
> bacteria work do the work. This produces a different tasting soy
> sauce. It was developed after the war because regular production
> methods were too slow.

It's basically hydrolyzed soy protein - liquid MSG. La Choy and
Chun King are common brands of fake soy. Bragg's Liquid Amino's has
made a fortune selling this crap calling it 'healthy'. It's really
just MSG broken down (hydrolyzed) into individual amino acids, which
turn back into MSG when ingested.

La Choy ingredients:

WATER, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR,
POTASSIUM SORBATE(PRESERVATIVE)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
and because the canned product was more available after WWII.
---------------

GM replies:

Spam not only became wildly popular in the Pacific because of WWII, but huge
amounts of Spam were provided for Lend - Lease to feed the Russian army
during WWII. The "Spam" and "Studebaker" brand names epitomized America for
Russians when we were WWII allies (Studebaker trucks were exported to the
Russians in large quantities)...Spam survives!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> It's basically hydrolyzed soy protein - liquid MSG. La Choy and
> Chun King are common brands of fake soy. Bragg's Liquid Amino's has
> made a fortune selling this crap calling it 'healthy'. It's really
> just MSG broken down (hydrolyzed) into individual amino acids, which
> turn back into MSG when ingested.

It is protein broken down into amino acids, one of which
is glutamic acid. MSG does not form when ingested. As soon
as MSG dissolves into a water-based liquid (including stomach acid
and any other bodily fluid), MSG splits into sodium ion and
glutamate ion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:55:34 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:50:12 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>>

>> Aloha shoyu is the most popular brand.
>>

>i had to google aloha to see why you used the word 'fake.' i'm guessing
>it's this:
>
>INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL FACTS
>Ingredients: Water, wheat (gluten soy beans), salt, sugar, caramel Coloring
>and sodium benozoate, a preservative.
>
>sounds like chun king. is the stuff even brewed? in a couple of places it
>said it tasted 'sweet' rather than bitter like kikkoman.

Gad, I hate kikkoman.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 12:13*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
> tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
> and because the canned product was more available after WWII.
> ---------------
>
> GM replies:
>
> Spam not only became wildly popular in the Pacific because of WWII, but huge
> amounts of Spam were provided for Lend - Lease to feed the Russian army
> during WWII. *The "Spam" and "Studebaker" brand names epitomized America for
> Russians when we were WWII allies (Studebaker trucks were exported to the
> Russians in large quantities)...Spam survives!

Ha ha - ironic. Most Americans hate Spam so much that you'd think it
was a commie plot. :-)

The folks here also dig red fruit punch. My guess is that tons of Spam
gets washed down with many gallons of fruit punch every day. No wonder
the Hawaiian are dying out... :-)