Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:55:34 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:50:12 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
> >>

> >> Aloha shoyu is the most popular brand.
> >>

> >i had to google aloha to see why you used the word 'fake.' i'm guessing
> >it's this:
> >
> >INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL FACTS
> >Ingredients: Water, wheat (gluten soy beans), salt, sugar, caramel Coloring
> >and sodium benozoate, a preservative.
> >
> >sounds like chun king. is the stuff even brewed? in a couple of places it
> >said it tasted 'sweet' rather than bitter like kikkoman.
> >

> Gad, I hate kikkoman.

Try Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
They are my personal favorite soy sauce.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:50:33 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Try Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
>They are my personal favorite soy sauce.

I can pick any soy sauce off the shelf at my local asian store and
like it better.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:50:33 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Try Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
> >They are my personal favorite soy sauce.

> I can pick any soy sauce off the shelf at my local asian store and
> like it better.

To each their own. :-)
I just find it to be a bit more lightly flavored, not so overwhelming.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Audrey" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Audrey" > wrote in message
>>> Long, Long time lurker first time poster here. I have a
>>> defrosted 3 pound standing rib roast and I'm wondering how
>>> long and what method I should use in preparing it. <cut>

>> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to
>> Victor, Plucas and Melba. <cut>
>> Audrey
>>

> Audrey, my thanks to you for a question that addresses common
> unanswered questioins about roasting a standing rib roast.
> Every time I roast one, on the grill or in the oven, I wish I'd
> done something different, even though it's usually unclear what
> that might be. As A. Kinji Alt in Cooks Illustrated suggested
> as with a thick steak, I'm to go roast the next standing rib
> at 275F. I won't sear the uncut surfaces. I think this is done
> because it happens with any higher roasting temp. Hopefully it
> will end up a uniform pink to pink from end to end.
> Again, thanks for provoking,
>
> Thery

This is what I ended up doing. Roast in at preheated 500º for 30
minutes. Oven temp. reduced to 250º and cooked to 220º which
took about 45 minutes. Roast turned out perfect!!!!
Thanks again for those of you who helped.
Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:46:28 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:55:34 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:50:12 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Aloha shoyu is the most popular brand.
>>>

>>i had to google aloha to see why you used the word 'fake.' i'm guessing
>>it's this:
>>
>>INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL FACTS
>>Ingredients: Water, wheat (gluten soy beans), salt, sugar, caramel Coloring
>>and sodium benozoate, a preservative.
>>
>>sounds like chun king. is the stuff even brewed? in a couple of places it
>>said it tasted 'sweet' rather than bitter like kikkoman.
>>

> Gad, I hate kikkoman.

kikkoman isn't bad - you just have to bear in mind it's japanese style, not
chinese. at least it's widely available. you could do a lot worse.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:05:00 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that it not a fermented product. The soy mash is
>> treated with acid to break it down. This is faster than letting
>> bacteria work do the work. This produces a different tasting soy
>> sauce. It was developed after the war because regular production
>> methods were too slow.

> It's basically hydrolyzed soy protein - liquid MSG. La Choy and
> Chun King are common brands of fake soy. Bragg's Liquid Amino's has
> made a fortune selling this crap calling it 'healthy'. It's really
> just MSG broken down (hydrolyzed) into individual amino acids, which
> turn back into MSG when ingested.
>
> La Choy ingredients:
>
> WATER, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR,
> POTASSIUM SORBATE(PRESERVATIVE)
>
> -sw

ah, la choy was what i really had in mind when i mentioned chun king
upthread. still, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Audrey" > wrote:

> minutes. Oven temp. reduced to 250º and cooked to 220º which
> Audrey

I'll bet you didn't. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> Gad, I hate kikkoman.

Generic Kikkoman is the Tabasco of Soy Sauce. They both suck big
time.

Kikkoman does have an decent Tamari soy sauce, but you'll rarely see
it on the regular shelves.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:50:33 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>Try Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
>>They are my personal favorite soy sauce.

> I can pick any soy sauce off the shelf at my local asian store and
> like it better.

I agreeing with sf twice in one night.

Braggs is simply liquid MSG. My girlfriend thought she was doing us
a favor by stealing a bottle of that shit from the condiment bar of
Whole Foods New Years Eve and I threw it in the Colorado River from
the Lamar Bridge.

Who would have guessed there was a ferry under the bridge at the
time <shrug>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:04*am, "Audrey" > wrote:
> "Theron" > wrote in message

> > "Audrey" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> "Audrey" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially to
> >> Victor, Plucas and Melba. <cut>
> >> Audrey

> > Audrey, my thanks to you for a question that addresses common
> > unanswered questioins about roasting a standing rib roast.
> > Every time I roast one, on the grill or in the oven, I wish I'd
> > done something different, even though it's usually unclear what
> > that might be. As A. Kinji Alt in Cooks Illustrated suggested
> > as with a thick steak, *I'm to go roast the next standing rib
> > at 275F. I won't sear the uncut surfaces. I think this is done
> > because it happens with any higher roasting temp. Hopefully it
> > will end up a uniform pink to pink from end to end.
> > Again, thanks for provoking,

> > Thery

> This is what I ended up doing. *Roast in at preheated 500º for 30
> minutes. *Oven temp. reduced to 250º and cooked to 220º which
> took about 45 minutes. *Roast turned out perfect!!!!
> Thanks again for those of you who helped.
> Audrey

Sounds great! I'll usually take my 3-pounder out @ 415º or thereabouts
- 220º sounds way too rare for my tastes, I think 350º might work out
better for me! Thanks for the report. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:51:06 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:46:28 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:55:34 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>i had to google aloha to see why you used the word 'fake.' i'm guessing
>>>it's this:
>>>
>>>INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL FACTS
>>>Ingredients: Water, wheat (gluten soy beans), salt, sugar, caramel Coloring
>>>and sodium benozoate, a preservative.
>>>
>>>sounds like chun king. is the stuff even brewed? in a couple of places it
>>>said it tasted 'sweet' rather than bitter like kikkoman.
>>>

>> Gad, I hate kikkoman.

>kikkoman isn't bad - you just have to bear in mind it's japanese style, not
>chinese. at least it's widely available.

That make sense - although the viscosity and saltiness doesn't jibe
with any Japanese style I've bought. As you can guess, I don't like
Japanese style soy in general - but I still haven't tasted anything
worse than Kikkoman. It's the total pits, IMO.

> you could do a lot worse.

Unless it's Kikkoman "light", *I* haven't - thank gawd.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:05:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>Sounds great! I'll usually take my 3-pounder out @ 415º or thereabouts
>- 220º sounds way too rare for my tastes, I think 350º might work out
>better for me! Thanks for the report. :-)

Huh?????

415 would be charred...beyond well done. You sure you meant those
temps as the roast temps, or were those the oven temps?

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:13*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:05:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>
> > wrote:
> >Sounds great! I'll usually take my 3-pounder out @ 415º or thereabouts
> >- 220º sounds way too rare for my tastes, I think 350º might work out
> >better for me! Thanks for the report. :-)

> Huh?????
>
> 415 would be charred...beyond well done. *You sure you meant those
> temps as the roast temps, or were those the oven temps? *
>
> Christine
> --http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Sorry - it's my warped humor. Truth is, I can't imagine what a roast
cooked to 220º would be like - makes me want to buy a roast and find
out! There goes mah drinkin' money! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
dsi1 > wrote:

> On Jan 12, 8:13*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:05:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> >
> > > wrote:
> > >Sounds great! I'll usually take my 3-pounder out @ 415º or thereabouts
> > >- 220º sounds way too rare for my tastes, I think 350º might work out
> > >better for me! Thanks for the report. :-)

> > Huh?????
> >
> > 415 would be charred...beyond well done. *You sure you meant those
> > temps as the roast temps, or were those the oven temps? *
> >
> > Christine
> > --http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> Sorry - it's my warped humor. Truth is, I can't imagine what a roast
> cooked to 220º would be like - makes me want to buy a roast and find
> out! There goes mah drinkin' money! :-)

I don't think anybody could be blamed for being confused. Victor
posted, in all seriousness, a recipe which called for cooking to 90F!
When somebody mentioned that 90F was less than our body temperature,
Victor added that the instructions (which had been provided in full in
his original post), called for "resting" the roast in a "warm" oven "for
some considerable time".

I'm going to stick to meat loaf!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:47*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *dsi1 > wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 8:13*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> > > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:05:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> > > Huh?????

> > > 415 would be charred...beyond well done. *You sure you meant those
> > > temps as the roast temps, or were those the oven temps? *

> > > Christine
> > > --http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

> > Sorry - it's my warped humor. Truth is, I can't imagine what a roast
> > cooked to 220º would be like - makes me want to buy a roast and find
> > out! There goes mah drinkin' money! :-)

> I don't think anybody could be blamed for being confused. *Victor
> posted, in all seriousness, a recipe which called for cooking to 90F! *
> When somebody mentioned that 90F was less than our body temperature,
> Victor added that the instructions (which had been provided in full in
> his original post), called for "resting" the roast in a "warm" oven "for
> some considerable time". *
>
> I'm going to stick to meat loaf!

Good idea. I'm gonna make some real soon! Just stick a loaf in a 350º
oven for a little less than 1 hour. I'm not gonna put any liquid smoke
in that meatloaf - that idea is repulsive to me. However topping the
loaf with ketchup spiked with LS and hot sauce seems real tasty.
Forget about this rib stuff! :-)

> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:10*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:51:06 GMT, blake murphy
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:46:28 -0800, sf wrote:

> >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:55:34 GMT, blake murphy

> >> Gad, I hate kikkoman.

> >kikkoman isn't bad - you just have to bear in mind it's japanese style, not
> >chinese. *at least it's widely available.

> That make sense - although the viscosity and saltiness doesn't jibe
> with any Japanese style I've bought. *As you can guess, I don't like
> Japanese style soy in general - but I still haven't tasted anything
> worse than Kikkoman. *It's the total pits, IMO.

My understanding is that the Kikkoman made for the US is a lighter
type than the stuff sold in Japan. I guess they still haven't gotten
the American tastes down yet. Oddly enough, we can get soy sauce from
Jack in the Box restaurants. That stuff doesn't taste too bad - I
kinda like it better than the McDonalds shoyu. Of course, most folks
will think that I'm lying. :-)

> > you could do a lot worse.

> Unless it's Kikkoman "light", *I* haven't - thank gawd.
>
> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks to those of you that offered sound advice especially
>>> to Victor, Plucas and Melba. <cut>
>>> Audrey
>>>

>> Audrey, my thanks to you for a question that addresses common
>> unanswered questioins about roasting a standing rib roast.
>> Every time I roast one, on the grill or in the oven, I wish
>> I'd done something different, even though it's usually unclear
>> what that might be. As A. Kinji Alt in Cooks Illustrated
>> suggested as with a thick steak, I'm to go roast the next
>> standing rib at 275F. I won't sear the uncut surfaces. I think
>> this is done because it happens with any higher roasting temp.
>> Hopefully it will end up a uniform pink to pink from end to
>> end.
>> Again, thanks for provoking,
>>
>> Thery
>>

> This is what I ended up doing. Roast in at preheated 500º for
> 30 minutes. Oven temp. reduced to 250º and cooked to 220º
> which took about 45 minutes. Roast turned out perfect!!!!
> Thanks again for those of you who helped.
> Audrey

Woops, my bad! Meant 120º
Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:57:16 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:50:33 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Try Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
>>>They are my personal favorite soy sauce.

>> I can pick any soy sauce off the shelf at my local asian store and
>> like it better.

> I agreeing with sf twice in one night.

i went to whole foods thinking that they would have pearl river bridge.
nope, kikkoman and maybe one other brand. a couple different tamaris
(san-j among them, i think), but that wasn't what i wanted.

this was at least the third time i went there looking for something just
slightly out-of-the way and they came up short. ****ed me off.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I no longer
>need to cook an 8 to 10 pound BEEF standing rib unless it's for a
>family/holiday meal.
>Audrey

If it's easier, you could still make an 8 pound roast, then invite me.
Yum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i went to whole foods thinking that they would have pearl river bridge.
> nope, kikkoman and maybe one other brand. a couple different tamaris
> (san-j among them, i think), but that wasn't what i wanted.

I grew up with the idea that Kikkoman was the best, most high-class
shoyu around. I don't buy it myself but the negative view most folks
have of the stuff here seems a little excessive. How awful can it be? :-)

> this was at least the third time i went there looking for something just
> slightly out-of-the way and they came up short. ****ed me off.

My guess is that I could go to the really old Chinese market down the
street and find an off-the-wall brand can of soy sauce from Taiwan or
China in some dust laden-tin that's been sitting for years on the shelf.
Just thinking about it makes me shiver. :-)

> your pal,
> blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
news:BqWdndkgVuQjlfDUnZ2dnUVZ_tzinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
| blake murphy wrote:
|
| > i went to whole foods thinking that they would have pearl river bridge.
| > nope, kikkoman and maybe one other brand. a couple different tamaris
| > (san-j among them, i think), but that wasn't what i wanted.
|
| I grew up with the idea that Kikkoman was the best, most high-class
| shoyu around. I don't buy it myself but the negative view most folks
| have of the stuff here seems a little excessive. How awful can it be? :-)

Kikkoman is actually one of the better sauces made, naturally brewed
with soybeans, wheat and salt as its only ingredients. They also have a
pretty interesting website for foodie browsing:
http://www.kikkoman.com/index.shtml
I think their problem if any is that they were the first highly available
good quality sauce and they became confused with the chun king
range of poorer products.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:34:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i went to whole foods thinking that they would have pearl river bridge.
>> nope, kikkoman and maybe one other brand. a couple different tamaris
>> (san-j among them, i think), but that wasn't what i wanted.

> I grew up with the idea that Kikkoman was the best, most high-class
> shoyu around. I don't buy it myself but the negative view most folks
> have of the stuff here seems a little excessive. How awful can it be? :-)
>

>> this was at least the third time i went there looking for something just
>> slightly out-of-the way and they came up short. ****ed me off.

> My guess is that I could go to the really old Chinese market down the
> street and find an off-the-wall brand can of soy sauce from Taiwan or
> China in some dust laden-tin that's been sitting for years on the shelf.
> Just thinking about it makes me shiver. :-)

i don't know the town where you live, but if it's large enough to support
an asian store, most likely the goods move fairly quickly.

give pearl river bridge superior light soy sauce a try. (the 'light'
doesn't refer to sodium or calories, but to distinguish it from dark,
mushroom, etc. varieties they also make.)

<http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blphotosoysauce.htm>

it's imported from china, but costs about the same or less than kikkoman.
i think it has more depth of flavor. it is also chinese vs. japanese
style.

your pal,
blake