Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Does One Clean The Inside Of An Old Magnalite Pot

Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with black
> spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small One Quart
> pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 4:31*pm, Margaret Suran >
wrote:
> Is there a way to clean such a pot? *The inside is discolored, with
> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. *It is a small
> One Quart pot. *Does one of you know the secret? *Thank you.

Perhaps this link may help: http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Arti...minum_pots.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with black
>> spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small One Quart
>> pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

> 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

It's not mine. I could not use it even if it were, as it is much too
heavy for my arthritic fingers and hands to handle. I use T-Fal's
cookware, who still make delightfully light weight pots and pans.

The One Quart pot belongs to a neighbor. She is throwing it out, but
she wanted me to give it one try with this news group. Except for the
ugly inside, the pot is fine and can still be used for cooking, but it
sure looks disgusting with all those black spots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> On Jan 9, 4:31 pm, Margaret Suran >
> wrote:
>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
>> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
>> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

> Perhaps this link may help: http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Arti...minum_pots.htm

Thank you. I will take a look in some of the hardware stores in this
area and ask in a couple of restaurant where I know the owners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

Fill it with water and add about 1/4 cup of cream of tartar. Simmer it
for 10 minutes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> > Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with black
> > spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small One Quart
> > pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

> 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

What you think!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
shine right up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
>>> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
>>> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

>> 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

Can't get them any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
>> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
>> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

> I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
> inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
> dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
> shine right up.

Thank you. I will get some Bon Ami and also some Cream of Tartar
(Barbara's suggestion) and see whether one or the other will do the job.
I have the green Rescue Pads and Comet, but I will try the Bon Ami,
if I can find some. Thank you, Janet and Barbara.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 09 Jan 2009 07:26:07p, Margaret Suran told us...

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
>>> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
>>> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

>> I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
>> inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
>> dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
>> shine right up.

> Thank you. I will get some Bon Ami and also some Cream of Tartar
> (Barbara's suggestion) and see whether one or the other will do the job.
> I have the green Rescue Pads and Comet, but I will try the Bon Ami,
> if I can find some. Thank you, Janet and Barbara.

I use Cameo Stainless Steel and Aluminum Cleaner, and use a scrubbie pad
with it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 01(I)/09(IX)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 2dys 3hrs 58mins
Cats must knock pennies off the nightstand at 3 am in order to get
Mom's attention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:31:30 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

You might want to try Barkeeper's Friend (very cautiously!),
especially if the cream of tartar treatment helped. Both are acids; the
BF is oxalic, which I believe to be rather stronger.
--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of country, who only country know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

My Magnalite has several different types of spots, light areas from
acids, dark areas from searing meats and who knows what else. All
of which have been there for years. There's really no hope for
them, IMO.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>> Kswck wrote:
>>>
>>> 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

> Can't get them any more.

And for good reason. They suck. I still use my dutch oven, but the
skillets haven't been used in almost a decade.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> > Kswck wrote:
> >> 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

> Can't get them any more.

Sure you can.
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...ageid=240&b=11
I'm still moping over the roaster I passed by at the thrift store. $10,
I think, vs the $80 new.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:48:17 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm still moping over the roaster I passed by at the thrift store. $10,
>I think, vs the $80 new.

A "used" margarite roaster was for sale at $10 and passed over it, for
whatever financial problems, I bet... Quite a buy! I wish I saw
deals like that.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just a suggestion......

Years ago, it may have been on this NG, somebody
suggested cleaning up moderately scratched up S/S
with an oil-based auto valve grinding compound.
I tried it and it worked like a charm. THe product
he/she recommended was, IIRC, DuPont No 7
automobile valve lapping compound. Back then
you could also get a fine-grit paste auto polish.
For you young'uns, that was when US autos
had baked on enamel paint, not this soft
acrylic (or whatever) paint. Think garnet
dust polishing paste... I think jewelers
still use that method.

Soft cloth or paper towel, lapping compound,
elbow grease, and you're in the S/S mirror
business.

Does anybody remember this?

Alex

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:26:07 -0500, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>> Is there a way to clean such a pot? The inside is discolored, with
>>> black spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. It is a small
>>> One Quart pot. Does one of you know the secret? Thank you.

>> I had Magnalite pots as a young bride. They were my favorite pots. The
>> inside gets pitted from acid over the years. I don't know what the other
>> dark spots are, but clean it with Bon Ami and a green 3M pad. It should
>> shine right up.

>Thank you. I will get some Bon Ami and also some Cream of Tartar
>(Barbara's suggestion) and see whether one or the other will do the job.
> I have the green Rescue Pads and Comet, but I will try the Bon Ami,
>if I can find some. Thank you, Janet and Barbara.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:48:17 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm still moping over the roaster I passed by at the thrift store. $10,
>> I think, vs the $80 new.

> A "used" margarite roaster was for sale at $10 and passed over it, for
> whatever financial problems, I bet... Quite a buy! I wish I saw
> deals like that.

You've gotta hang out at the right places. Have you heard of Bennington
Pottery? I have bought a couple of pieces at a local Goodwill Store for
$1 and $2. You've gotta search through a lot of junk for a few
treasures (in the company of some really strange people, too!) These
things don't just jump into your lap, ya know?
;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:45:27 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>You've gotta hang out at the right places. Have you heard of Bennington
>Pottery?

No.

>I have bought a couple of pieces at a local Goodwill Store for
>$1 and $2. You've gotta search through a lot of junk for a few
>treasures (in the company of some really strange people, too!)

BTDT, never found a real "find" in those places. Most of it is cherry
picked around here and now Good Will has stores for the "better"
quality merchandise.

>These things don't just jump into your lap, ya know?

I know. Back when the military was on the SF Presidio, there was a
second hand shop where I found some great buys. Mainly knick knacky
things, no kitchenware that I drooled over. Way back in the day
before used furniture stores decided to call themselves "antique
shops", I found many pieces of furniture at a good price.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 8:16�pm, Margaret Suran >
wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
> > "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> >> Is there a way to clean such a pot? �The inside is discolored, with black
> >> spots and nothing seems to work to get it clean. �It is a small One Quart
> >> pot. �Does one of you know the secret? �Thank you.

> > 1 quart? Buy a new one. Can't cost that much.

> It's not mine. �I could not use it even if it were, as it is much too
> heavy for my arthritic fingers and hands to handle. �

It's cast aluminum... the 1 qt size weighs less than the same size in
stainless steel. It's not the pot you have trouble lifting, it's what
you put inside... other than cast iron you would have exactly the same
difficulty with any 1 qt pot when filled with liquid.. you'd then have
the same difficulty handling a 1qt container of milk. And why would
you need to lift a pot except to place it on the stove (empty), and
then you can either lift the pot to pour, or if too heavy use a ladle,
whenevr possible, for safety, one should use a ladle to serve from a
cook pot. I don't have the foggiest idea what anyone does with a one
quart pot anyway... it's way too small for me to use as a urinal.

It's very easy to clean discolored cast aluminum... polish with fine
steelwool. If it's pitted toss it.