Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Currant Preserves

Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting over
Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me think of
it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real bakeries, say in
the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)

Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:16:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
>generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
>currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting over
>Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me think of
>it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real bakeries, say in
>the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)
>
>Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

I sometimes see currant jelly called for in recipes for glazes on
pies, etc.

I am trying to remember the recipe I have in which it is used for more
than that, but it is escaping me now. Maybe when I have had more
caffeine....

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
> generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!)

'sokay, no offense taken‹I don't generally eat preserves or jelly,
either. Not that I dislike it; I just don't think about it. It's not
part of my morning toast program. :-)

> but I love currant jelly and preserves.

(snip)
> Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

Thumbprint cookies‹use the jelly to fill the indentation.

There's some kind of bar * might have 'raspberry' in the name * where
you pat the dough into a long narrow rectangle (maybe 1-2" wide) and
make a 'trough' (for lack of a better description in the middle of it
with a wood spoon handle and fill the trough with jam or jelly. You
bake it and cut pieces on the diagonal.

Thin it with red wine and glaze a ham.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 08 Jan 2009 06:29:56p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:16:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
>>generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
>>currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting
>>over Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me
>>think of it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real
>>bakeries, say in the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)
>>
>>Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?
>>

> I sometimes see currant jelly called for in recipes for glazes on
> pies, etc.
>
> I am trying to remember the recipe I have in which it is used for more
> than that, but it is escaping me now. Maybe when I have had more
> caffeine....
>
> Christine

When I had a source for fresh currants, I used to make a currant conserve
that I served with meats. I put currant jelly in sweet/sour red cabbage
instead of sugar, and I also use it in raisin sauce for ham. It's somewhat
like a Cumberland sauce.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/08(VIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 3dys 4hrs 51mins
'Tactless - yet rude.' - Slappy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message ...
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
>> generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!)

> 'sokay, no offense taken > either. Not that I dislike it; I just don't think about it. It's not
> part of my morning toast program. :-)
>
>> but I love currant jelly and preserves.

> (snip)
>> Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

> Thumbprint cookies >
> There's some kind of bar * might have 'raspberry' in the name * where
> you pat the dough into a long narrow rectangle (maybe 1-2" wide) and
> make a 'trough' (for lack of a better description in the middle of it
> with a wood spoon handle and fill the trough with jam or jelly. You
> bake it and cut pieces on the diagonal.
>
> Thin it with red wine and glaze a ham.
> --

hmmmm ... all sounds good, thanks ..!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
> generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
> currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting over
> Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me think of
> it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real bakeries, say in
> the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)
>
> Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

You could always mix it with bottled chili sauce and heat cocktail
meatballs in it....
;-)

I wonder if it would, (with the addition of some cayenne or hot sauce or
prepared mustard, be a good glaze for baked chicken breasts or thighs.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
>> generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
>> currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting
>> over Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me
>> think of it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real
>> bakeries, say in the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)
>>
>> Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

> You could always mix it with bottled chili sauce and heat cocktail
> meatballs in it....
> ;-)

haha!

> I wonder if it would, (with the addition of some cayenne or hot sauce or
> prepared mustard, be a good glaze for baked chicken breasts or thighs.

I imagine it might for white meat especially. I think I want to make a jelly
roll I just wanted people to talk me out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Just bought some "Hero" brand Swiss preserves. 45% currant. I don't
>generally eat preserves or jelly (all due respect to Barb!) but I love
>currant jelly and preserves. I tasted a cake with buttercream frosting over
>Christmas that had currant jelly in the middle layer that made me think of
>it again. (Did I dream this or did jelly donuts from real bakeries, say in
>the 1960s come with currant jelly inside?)
>
>Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

Make some scones/biscuits...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(snip)
> >Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

> Make some scones/biscuits...

Don't laugh! Get a Ritz cracker. Spread it thinly with peanut
butter. Put a very thin slice of very sharp cheddar on top. Spoon
about a half teaspoon of currant jelly on top. Eat. (Preferably in
one or two bites) Come on, try just one!
Lynn in Fargo
(also good with cream cheese instead of cheddar, skip the PB)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 Jan 2009 10:22:02p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

> (snip)
>> >Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

>> Make some scones/biscuits...

> ================================================== ==
>
> Don't laugh! Get a Ritz cracker. Spread it thinly with peanut
> butter. Put a very thin slice of very sharp cheddar on top. Spoon
> about a half teaspoon of currant jelly on top. Eat. (Preferably in
> one or two bites) Come on, try just one!
> Lynn in Fargo
> (also good with cream cheese instead of cheddar, skip the PB)

I would like that!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 1dys 1hrs 31mins
Fine, DON'T have a nice day, see if I care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
> (snip)
>> >Anyway, what would you do with this, besides just toast?

>> Make some scones/biscuits...

> Don't laugh! Get a Ritz cracker. Spread it thinly with peanut
> butter. Put a very thin slice of very sharp cheddar on top. Spoon
> about a half teaspoon of currant jelly on top. Eat. (Preferably in
> one or two bites) Come on, try just one!
> Lynn in Fargo
> (also good with cream cheese instead of cheddar, skip the PB)

I tried it in plain yogurt today, very nice.