Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A little about Maine...

First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard

As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it

I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me

Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
(Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
am very grateful for your input!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
> and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast,
> so I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in
> Camden, and When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my
> blog about all of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it

Can't wait to see! I was in Maine one time, and too young to appreciate it.
It, and Mass. are on my U.S. travel lists, next time money and time allow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
> Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
> snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
> (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
> am very grateful for your input!
>
> kimberly
> --
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Sounds like fun, I am looking forward to reading it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nexis" > wrote:

> First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
> left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
> was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
> besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
> pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
> expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard
>
> As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
> and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
> I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
> When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
> of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it
>
> I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
> of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
> husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me
>
> Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
> Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
> snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
> (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
> am very grateful for your input!
>
> kimberly
> --
> http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)

One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 3:55*pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
> left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
> was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
> besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
> pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
> expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard

Hehehe. My husband was surprised by how many mom&pop pizza places
there are in the northeast. That, and how good most of them are! One
on every corner, right next to the doughnut shop.....

maxine in ri

> As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
> and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
> I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
> When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
> of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it
>
> I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
> of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
> husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me

You'll find good Mex or TexMex in Beantown. Lemme know when you'll be
around, and I'll get a tour of the good places together for you.

Did you notice that in Maine, there are no malls, just Outlets? We
noticed that on our honeymoon, and it hasn't changed a whit.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> Did you notice that in Maine, there are no malls, just Outlets? We
> noticed that on our honeymoon, and it hasn't changed a whit.
>
> maxine in ri

There is at least one mall: The Maine Mall in South Portland. Complete with
the usual mall stores and a Food Court.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 6:32�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> �"Nexis" > wrote:
> > First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
> > left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
> > was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
> > besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
> > pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
> > expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard

> > As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> > scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> > popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
> > and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
> > I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
> > When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
> > of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it

> > I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
> > of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
> > husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me

> > Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
> > Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
> > snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
> > (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
> > am very grateful for your input!

> > kimberly
> > --
> >http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

> I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)
>
> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine,
> and New York.

You're gonna set foot on Noo Yawk soil... you do realize that you will
be excommunicated from the Order of the Yellow Rose! hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Jan 4, 6:32?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >

> > ?"Nexis" > wrote:
> > > First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before
> > > we
> > > left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side,
> > > Maine
> > > was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
> > > besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
> > > pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
> > > expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard
> > >

> > > As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> > > scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> > > popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get
> > > out
> > > and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast,
> > > so
> > > I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden,
> > > and
> > > When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about
> > > all
> > > of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it

> > > I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone
> > > knows
> > > of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food
> > > (my
> > > husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me

> > > Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk
> > > in
> > > Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
> > > snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
> > > (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you,
> > > so I
> > > am very grateful for your input!

> > > kimberly
> > > --
> > >http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

> > I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)
> >
> > One of these years, I really want to visit Maine,
> > and New York.

> You're gonna set foot on Noo Yawk soil... you do realize that you will
> be excommunicated from the Order of the Yellow Rose! hehe

Won't break my heart. :-) I'm an American!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> In article >,
> "Nexis" > wrote:
>
> > First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
> > left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
> > was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
> > besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
> > pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
> > expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard
> >
> > As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
> > scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
> > popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
> > and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
> > I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
> > When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
> > of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it
> >
> > I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
> > of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
> > husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me
> >
> > Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
> > Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
> > snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
> > (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
> > am very grateful for your input!
> >
> > kimberly
> > --

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

> I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)
>
> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.

Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
lot of good food in the northeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> In article >,

>> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.
>>

> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> lot of good food in the northeast.

You left out Newport, RI. The Cape Cod National Seashore is a pretty
spot, also. If you are on Rte 1 from Providence or Newport to Mystic
around lunch or dinner, stop at the Shelter Harbor Inn in Westerly.
The food is terrific. We've never had a bad or even mediocre meal there.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
On Jan 4, 3:55 pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
>> First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before
>> we
>> left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side,
>> Maine
>> was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
>> besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
>> pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
>> expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard
>>

>Hehehe. My husband was surprised by how many mom&pop pizza places
>there are in the northeast. That, and how good most of them are! One
>on every corner, right next to the doughnut shop.....

>maxine in ri

Oh yes, there were a lot of bakeries and doughnuts too! And we found a
coffee house I really liked, Cafe Arabica...we enjoyed a nice hot latte on a
particularly windy afternoon. I was pretty impressed with the number of "mom
& pop" type places...something you don't see a lot of here in Southern
California anymore.

>> As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
>> scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
>> popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get
>> out
>> and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast,
>> so
>> I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden,
>> and
>> When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about
>> all
>> of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it
>>
>> I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone
>> knows
>> of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food
>> (my
>> husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me

>You'll find good Mex or TexMex in Beantown. Lemme know when you'll be
>around, and I'll get a tour of the good places together for you.

>Did you notice that in Maine, there are no malls, just Outlets? We
>noticed that on our honeymoon, and it hasn't changed a whit.

>maxine in ri

Thank you for that, I look forward to it! I'll be going at the end of June,
looks like.
We saw a lot of outlets for sure, but we did find one mall..the Maine Mall.
Went to the Lindt store in there to get my niece some of their candies..her
favorite. I'd never seen a Lindt store, only what you see in the grocery
stores.

Thanks again

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> T wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.
> >>

> > Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
> > Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> > lot of good food in the northeast.

> You left out Newport, RI. The Cape Cod National Seashore is a pretty
> spot, also. If you are on Rte 1 from Providence or Newport to Mystic
> around lunch or dinner, stop at the Shelter Harbor Inn in Westerly.
> The food is terrific. We've never had a bad or even mediocre meal there.
>
> gloria p

Sounds like fun. :-)

And if you ever get West, be sure to hit Northern California, Oregon and
Washington.

Last time we hit the Oregon coast, we netted our own food. Dungeness
Crab... ;-d

Many campgrounds with hot showers.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> In article >,
>> "Nexis" > wrote:
>>
>>> First, thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions before we
>>> left for Maine! I very much appreciated your input. On the food side, Maine
>>> was intriguing I have to say. There was so much more to the food scene
>>> besides the to-be-expected lobster and seafood choices! A huge array of
>>> pizza places, for instance, and a wide variety of Irish Pubs too. I was
>>> expecting seafood, but the pizza and shepard's pies caught me off guard
>>>
>>> As a lover of all things food, I was interested in all the ways the food
>>> scene varied from our own here in San Diego. Pub food seems to be very
>>> popular there, which was enjoyable since we found it a good way to get out
>>> and meet new people. We did a lot of driving also, up and down the coast, so
>>> I was able to visit wonderful places like Stonewall Kitchens, in Camden, and
>>> When Pigs Fly bread company in Kittery. I'll be posting on my blog about all
>>> of the foodie places if anyone wants to read it
>>>
>>> I'm excited about going back after the school year is out. If anyone knows
>>> of any especially good places to go for breakfast, and for Mexican food (my
>>> husband is going through withdrawals! lol), please forward them to me
>>>
>>> Thanks again for helping make it such a fun trip! We walked the boardwalk in
>>> Ogunquit, watched a football game at a pub in Kennebunkport during a
>>> snowstorm, and had a terrific dinner at my new favorite place for pizza
>>> (Flatbread Co in Old Port) thanks to the responses and emails from you, so I
>>> am very grateful for your input!
>>>
>>> kimberly
>>> --

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com
>> I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)
>>
>> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.
>>

> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> lot of good food in the northeast.

And do some research on Chowhound's New England board:

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/13

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
>> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
>> lot of good food in the northeast.

If you are going to do a coastal trip, start farther up, at Acadia National
Park on Mt. Desert Island.

A nice hike, followed by popovers and tea on the lawn at the Jordan Pond
House will set you up for the rest of the trip.

And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the local
chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the "product" peddled by
Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice selection of locally-made
chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> T wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com
> >> I've never been to the East Coast so this was an interesting post. :-)
> >>
> >> One of these years, I really want to visit Maine, and New York.
> >>

> > Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
> > Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> > lot of good food in the northeast.

> And do some research on Chowhound's New England board:
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/13

If nothing else, street food in New York. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> >> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
> >> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> >> lot of good food in the northeast.

> If you are going to do a coastal trip, start farther up, at Acadia National
> Park on Mt. Desert Island.
>
> A nice hike, followed by popovers and tea on the lawn at the Jordan Pond
> House will set you up for the rest of the trip.
>
> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the local
> chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the "product" peddled by
> Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice selection of locally-made
> chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
Those are my current favorite.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> T wrote:
>> In article >,

>> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, MA, then
>> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
>> lot of good food in the northeast.

> You left out Newport, RI. The Cape Cod National Seashore is a pretty
> spot, also. If you are on Rte 1 from Providence or Newport to Mystic
> around lunch or dinner, stop at the Shelter Harbor Inn in Westerly.
> The food is terrific. We've never had a bad or even mediocre meal
> there.

Don't forget popovers on the lawn at Acadia National Park!

I've never been to Rhode Island, a personal failing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nexis" > wrote:

> Oh yes, there were a lot of bakeries and doughnuts too! And we found a
> coffee house I really liked, Cafe Arabica...we enjoyed a nice hot latte on a
> particularly windy afternoon. I was pretty impressed with the number of "mom
> & pop" type places...something you don't see a lot of here in Southern
> California anymore.

> kimberly

Do you suppose that's because ma and pa can't afford the real estate
rent?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> If you are going to do a coastal trip, start farther up, at Acadia
>> National Park on Mt. Desert Island.
>>
>> A nice hike, followed by popovers and tea on the lawn at the Jordan
>> Pond House will set you up for the rest of the trip.
>>
>> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the
>> local chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the
>> "product" peddled by Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice
>> selection of locally-made chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

> If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
> Those are my current favorite.

"Better" is of course subjective. From my point of view, they are not really
truffles. <G>

What is it that you like about them, exactly? (This is a serious question!
<G>)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>> Don't forget popovers on the lawn at Acadia National Park!

Clearly great minds think alike, Nancy! <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Nexis" > wrote:
>>
>> Oh yes, there were a lot of bakeries and doughnuts too! And we found
>> a coffee house I really liked, Cafe Arabica...we enjoyed a nice hot
>> latte on a particularly windy afternoon. I was pretty impressed with
>> the number of "mom & pop" type places...something you don't see a
>> lot of here in Southern California anymore.

Do you mean the Arabica in Portland?

For a non-chain doughnut in Portland, there is nothing to beat Tony's
molasses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 10:16*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
> > T wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> Well, do a coastal trip. Hit Portland, ME then Boston, *MA, then
> >> Providence, RI, then maybe Mytic, CT and finally Manhattan. There's a
> >> lot of good food in the northeast.

> > You left out Newport, RI. *The Cape Cod National Seashore is a pretty
> > spot, also. *If you are on Rte 1 from Providence or Newport to Mystic
> > around lunch or dinner, stop at the Shelter Harbor Inn in Westerly.
> > The food is terrific. *We've never had a bad or even mediocre meal
> > there.

> Don't forget popovers on the lawn at Acadia National Park!
>
> I've never been to Rhode Island, a personal failing. *
>
> nancy

Well, we tried to pull together a cookin, but everyone begged off.
Heck, we're in your neck of the woods (ok, Northern NJ near Waywayanda
State Park) 3-4 times a year. If a Rho-dilander can get that far
south, I would think a Jersey goil could make it up this way.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> If you are going to do a coastal trip, start farther up, at Acadia
> >> National Park on Mt. Desert Island.
> >>
> >> A nice hike, followed by popovers and tea on the lawn at the Jordan
> >> Pond House will set you up for the rest of the trip.
> >>
> >> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the
> >> local chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the
> >> "product" peddled by Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice
> >> selection of locally-made chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

> > If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
> > Those are my current favorite.

> "Better" is of course subjective. From my point of view, they are not really
> truffles. <G>
>
> What is it that you like about them, exactly? (This is a serious question!
> <G>)

I only do the dark chocolate ones.
It's a combination of the richness in taste, and the creamy texture of
the centers..... ;-d

I've addicted many a co-worker to them, so it's not just me. <eg>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the
>> local chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the "product"
>> peddled by Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice selection of
>> locally-made chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

> If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
> Those are my current favorite.

Huh. I guess I'm spoiled, but I've had better truffles than Lindt's at
*every* local chocolatier I've ever visited.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> I was pretty impressed with the number of "mom
> & pop" type places...something you don't see a lot of here in Southern
> California anymore.

The best soup I have ever eaten, bar none, was on a firigid January day
in one of the two tiny restaurants in Greenville, overlooking Moosehead
Lake while we watched ice fishermen and yahoos speeding on the lake on
their snowmobiles.

It was a bowl of halibut chowder, tender yummy fish floating in a broth
that tasted of the sea and heavy cream, lightly spiced. OMG it was so good!

The mom-and-pop restaurants are the center of socialization in New
England towns that are too small to attract chains. They are the
purveyors of local gossip, political action, charity efforts, where
opinions are shared and decisions are made.

We had good, inexpensive lobster and microbrewed beer at Gritty McDuff's
both in Freeport and Portland. There were quite a few microbreweries
around and they were all good. The Haraseeket Lobster House (on the
pier, not to be confused with the luxurious Haraseeket Inn) had
wonderful lobster rolls, cooked lobsters and fish and chips.
Having lived in landlocked Colorado for 20+ years, we eat seafood at
every opportunity. Last time we were in Maine ~2 1/2 days, we had 5
lobster meals. Heaven on a plate.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the
> >> local chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the "product"
> >> peddled by Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice selection of
> >> locally-made chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

> > If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
> > Those are my current favorite.

> Huh. I guess I'm spoiled, but I've had better truffles than Lindt's at
> *every* local chocolatier I've ever visited.
>
> Bob

ok.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
>>> Those are my current favorite.

>> "Better" is of course subjective. From my point of view, they are
>> not really truffles. <G>
>>
>> What is it that you like about them, exactly? (This is a serious
>> question! <G>)

> I only do the dark chocolate ones.
> It's a combination of the richness in taste, and the creamy texture of
> the centers..... ;-d
>
> I've addicted many a co-worker to them, so it's not just me. <eg>

Lindt is a huge brand. Lindor truffles are an industrial product. You see
their things at the ckeckout of convenience stores, book stores,
supermarkets, etc. So clearly it's not just you.

But they aren't truffles in any classic sense. They are molded chocolates
with a chocolate-based center. Lindt certainly makes good chocolate BARS,
but truffles should not, from a purist point of view, be made with vegetable
oil and that is what they use to make them "melt." It is also a cheap
ingredient.

A plain dark chocolate truffle--I'm not going to get into the innumerable
possible additions and infusions <G>--should contain dark chocolate (with
its component ingredients), cream, and maybe sugar, butter, and either a
little glucose or a littel invert sugar. A truffle should be formed by hand
and then dipped in tempered chocolate.

Lindor Truffles contain: Bittersweet Chocolate (Chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa
Butter, Milkfat, Soya Lecithin (Emulsifier), Vanilla Seeds), Vegetable Oil
(Coconut, Palm Kernel), Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk, Soya Lecithin
(Emulsifier), Barley Malt Powder, Vanillin (Artificial Flavor) and probably
various other things including a preservative, since this list which I
lifted from a web site ended with a "..." They are a filling injected into a
molded exterior.

There's nothing wrong with liking them, of course. And Lindt is hardly the
only manufacturer who uses molds instead of hand forming them and calls the
results "truffles." Almost everyone does nowadays, because it is less
labor-intensive and lends itself to industrial-scale production. But there
are certain compromises to be made by doing so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> We had good, inexpensive lobster and microbrewed beer at Gritty
> McDuff's both in Freeport and Portland. There were quite a few
> microbreweries around and they were all good.

The greater Portland area is flush with great breweries and great bread. It
must be something that makes the yeast happy! <G>

>The Haraseeket Lobster
> House (on the pier, not to be confused with the luxurious Haraseeket Inn)
> had
> wonderful lobster rolls, cooked lobsters and fish and chips.

That's my favorite local lobster pound, too. For those who may be looking
for it, it's in South Freeport village.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> A plain dark chocolate truffle--I'm not going to get into the
> innumerable possible additions and infusions <G>--should contain dark
> chocolate (with its component ingredients), cream, and maybe sugar,
> butter, and either a little glucose or a littel invert sugar. A
> truffle should be formed by hand and then dipped in tempered
> chocolate.

All days it's been bugging me, what is the name of Janet's
chocolate company. Why Blue Box stuck in my mind, I don't
know. Your boxes are gorgeous, I guess that's why.

Then I took a look at your email, dud. Box Hill! confections.
I've bookmarked it. You make really excellent chocolates.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>
>> A plain dark chocolate truffle--I'm not going to get into the
>> innumerable possible additions and infusions <G>--should contain dark
>> chocolate (with its component ingredients), cream, and maybe sugar,
>> butter, and either a little glucose or a littel invert sugar. A
>> truffle should be formed by hand and then dipped in tempered
>> chocolate.

> All days it's been bugging me, what is the name of Janet's
> chocolate company. Why Blue Box stuck in my mind, I don't
> know. Your boxes are gorgeous, I guess that's why.
>
> Then I took a look at your email, dud. Box Hill! confections.
> I've bookmarked it. You make really excellent chocolates.
>
> nancy

Thanks, Nancy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Om wrote:
>
>>> And if you want truffles, for doG's sake get some made by one of the
>>> local chocolatiers (disclosu including me) rather than the "product"
>>> peddled by Lindt! For one-stop shopping, they have a nice selection of
>>> locally-made chocolates at the Whole Foods in Portland.

>> If there is anything better than Lindt's, I'm game. :-)
>> Those are my current favorite.

> Huh. I guess I'm spoiled, but I've had better truffles than Lindt's at
> *every* local chocolatier I've ever visited.
>
> Bob

I agree. Lindt is nowhere near my favorite.

--
Jean B.

TN: wines in Maine and NY DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2013 09:09 PM
Shinbashi in Ellsworth, Maine Wilson[_6_] Sushi 5 23-08-2011 09:17 PM
Maine Memory Bites Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 25-08-2008 02:55 AM
Maine Lobster Dulce delavanda Recipes (moderated) 0 04-02-2005 04:35 AM
Sushi in Maine George Sushi 3 18-05-2004 09:58 PM