Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White House vegetable garden

It's an idea:
http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382

According to the video at the height of the victory garden movement in
the US, 40% of the produce consumed in the country was grown at home.

And, on a related note, the history of gastronomy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkloP...delgrosso.com/
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 7:38�pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:

> It's an idea:http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382 [White House vegetable garden]

I didn't watch the vids for lack of time.

Didn't somebody like Alice Waters suggest that Obama
should put an organic produce garden in the WH? I
thought I read that somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> It's an idea:
> http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382
>
> According to the video at the height of the victory garden movement in
> the US, 40% of the produce consumed in the country was grown at home.
>
> And, on a related note, the history of gastronomy:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkloP...delgrosso.com/
> --
>
> modom

Some of us, that were kids during WWII, still have our home gardens. DW
and I have been married 48 years the 26th of this month and we've always
had a garden. Even when we lived in the desert in Saudi Arabia.

We live on a 75X150 city lot in a small city, the house occupies about
3000 square feet of the lot and the rest is garden. Main veggie garden,
herb garden, fruit trees, blackberries, blueberries, flowers, etc. More
of the same but all flowers in the front yard. Keeps us sane after
working with the public for many years. Freezer full of good stuff we
grew plus a small pantry loaded with stuff we canned ourselves. Only way
to get exactly what you want to eat. If everyone of us grew as much as
we could we could knock the socks off the food conglomerates and help to
feed our neighbors too.

Even better, start a neighborhood garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> It's an idea:
> http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382
>
> According to the video at the height of the victory garden movement in
> the US, 40% of the produce consumed in the country was grown at home.
>
> And, on a related note, the history of gastronomy:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkloP...delgrosso.com/
> --
>
> modom

There are loads of booklets from this era--on gardening and on
coping with the produce in various ways.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:31:41 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> It's an idea:
>> http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382
>>
>> According to the video at the height of the victory garden movement in
>> the US, 40% of the produce consumed in the country was grown at home.
>>
>> And, on a related note, the history of gastronomy:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkloP...delgrosso.com/
>> --
>>
>> modom

>Some of us, that were kids during WWII, still have our home gardens. DW
>and I have been married 48 years the 26th of this month and we've always
>had a garden. Even when we lived in the desert in Saudi Arabia.
>
>We live on a 75X150 city lot in a small city, the house occupies about
>3000 square feet of the lot and the rest is garden. Main veggie garden,
>herb garden, fruit trees, blackberries, blueberries, flowers, etc. More
>of the same but all flowers in the front yard. Keeps us sane after
>working with the public for many years. Freezer full of good stuff we
>grew plus a small pantry loaded with stuff we canned ourselves. Only way
>to get exactly what you want to eat. If everyone of us grew as much as
>we could we could knock the socks off the food conglomerates and help to
>feed our neighbors too.
>
>Even better, start a neighborhood garden.

You sir are a man after my own heart. I have a none-to-functional
garden, which I will put my back into come spring. This year, I'll
get it done right. Or bust. Or something...

Meanwhile I've begun working with a group of like minded citizens here
in Cow Hill to establish a community garden. A local church has
donated the land and some people associated with the county government
have already prepped it for a spring planting.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:31:41 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>> It's an idea:
>>> http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382
>>>
>>> According to the video at the height of the victory garden movement in
>>> the US, 40% of the produce consumed in the country was grown at home.
>>>
>>> And, on a related note, the history of gastronomy:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkloP...delgrosso.com/
>>> --
>>>
>>> modom

>> Some of us, that were kids during WWII, still have our home gardens. DW
>> and I have been married 48 years the 26th of this month and we've always
>> had a garden. Even when we lived in the desert in Saudi Arabia.
>>
>> We live on a 75X150 city lot in a small city, the house occupies about
>> 3000 square feet of the lot and the rest is garden. Main veggie garden,
>> herb garden, fruit trees, blackberries, blueberries, flowers, etc. More
>> of the same but all flowers in the front yard. Keeps us sane after
>> working with the public for many years. Freezer full of good stuff we
>> grew plus a small pantry loaded with stuff we canned ourselves. Only way
>> to get exactly what you want to eat. If everyone of us grew as much as
>> we could we could knock the socks off the food conglomerates and help to
>> feed our neighbors too.
>>
>> Even better, start a neighborhood garden.

> You sir are a man after my own heart. I have a none-to-functional
> garden, which I will put my back into come spring. This year, I'll
> get it done right. Or bust. Or something...
>
> Meanwhile I've begun working with a group of like minded citizens here
> in Cow Hill to establish a community garden. A local church has
> donated the land and some people associated with the county government
> have already prepped it for a spring planting.
> --
>
> modom

Good for you. Growing your own food is one way of being sure that what
goes into your body won't hurt it. Be sure to put in a large compost
heap and turn it frequently.

We are the only folks in our neighborhood who do gardening of any kind.
The rest of them only have landscaping plants that don't get tended
until the lawn maintenance crew comes by every two weeks. This year
we're growing cabbage in the front flower beds. Neighbor across the
street wondered why our flowering kale wasn't flowering until I told her
it was food, not flowers. She was astounded to say the least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:31:41 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>> Some of us, that were kids during WWII, still have our home gardens.
>>> DW and I have been married 48 years the 26th of this month and we've
>>> always had a garden. Even when we lived in the desert in Saudi Arabia.
>>>
>>> We live on a 75X150 city lot in a small city, the house occupies
>>> about 3000 square feet of the lot and the rest is garden. Main veggie
>>> garden, herb garden, fruit trees, blackberries, blueberries, flowers,
>>> etc. More of the same but all flowers in the front yard. Keeps us
>>> sane after working with the public for many years. Freezer full of
>>> good stuff we grew plus a small pantry loaded with stuff we canned
>>> ourselves. Only way to get exactly what you want to eat. If everyone
>>> of us grew as much as we could we could knock the socks off the food
>>> conglomerates and help to feed our neighbors too.
>>>
>>> Even better, start a neighborhood garden.

>> You sir are a man after my own heart. I have a none-to-functional
>> garden, which I will put my back into come spring. This year, I'll
>> get it done right. Or bust. Or something...
>>
>> Meanwhile I've begun working with a group of like minded citizens here
>> in Cow Hill to establish a community garden. A local church has
>> donated the land and some people associated with the county government
>> have already prepped it for a spring planting.
>> --
>>
>> modom

> Good for you. Growing your own food is one way of being sure that what
> goes into your body won't hurt it. Be sure to put in a large compost
> heap and turn it frequently.
>
> We are the only folks in our neighborhood who do gardening of any kind.
> The rest of them only have landscaping plants that don't get tended
> until the lawn maintenance crew comes by every two weeks. This year
> we're growing cabbage in the front flower beds. Neighbor across the
> street wondered why our flowering kale wasn't flowering until I told her
> it was food, not flowers. She was astounded to say the least.

Heh. I gather that is a growing (!) trend though. I have cared
little about whether I put edible things in nontraditional places
and am pleased when I see folks growing veggies etc. in spots that
normally house ornamental plants.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 10:12*pm, KevinS > wrote:
> On Dec 30, 7:38 pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
> wrote:
>
> > It's an idea:http://vimeo.com/1812382?pg=embed&sec=1812382[White House vegetable garden]

> I didn't watch the vids for lack of time.
>
> Didn't somebody like Alice Waters suggest that Obama
> should put an organic produce garden in the WH? I
> thought I read that somewhere.

There is already a vegetable garden - it's on the White House roof.
It's been there for quite a while. And Laura Bush asked that the folks
who ought produce for the White House kitchens would use organic
whenever possible. Pretty amazing, wonder if Duhbya knew??!!
Lynn in Fargo
Gonna buy 1/4 share in an organic CSA next summer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 5:07�pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> There is already a vegetable garden �- it's on the White
> House roof.

I didn't know that. I found what I was thinking of, though.
It was in the December 10 San Francisco Chronicle and
SFGate.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=food