General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,980
Default Some new foodie finds


We were in Lake Havasu visiting daughter Erika and family over the
Christmas holiday. Dang I love my grandsons, they are so much fun.
Sorry, I digress.
Here are a few foodie things I found while we were shopping in
Bullhead City.

A nice little Le Creuset 7"rectangular stoneware baking dish. Some Sri
Lankan curry and some Spanish hot smoked paprika. Two grinding mills,
one filled with a Thai blend and one with a Key West blend. Can't wait
to try these.
http://i41.tinypic.com/ioq06p.jpg

Now for my funky find. I love coming across these weird little
treasures.

How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg

Packaging propagan..ahem..information.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2aesfpg.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2e1ahz6.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2isiq9u.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2570wnl.jpg

It comes with it's own handy dandy little grater. The cube is roughly
2" square.
http://i41.tinypic.com/106g1gk.jpg

This stuff is good.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2yjt0l3.jpg

It will be so easy to just grate a little over the food right before
serving.
This should last me a good long time.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,124
Default Some new foodie finds

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg


Well, damn! I don't know how you survived, but I want one! How cool is
that! LOL!

> koko

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences;
now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
anyone
I've ever known.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,124
Default 2 Some new foodie finds

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg


> koko


OK, maybe I don't want one after all. Online from himalasalt.com,
they're $15 plus shipping. <Bob Barker mode on> That's too much!! <BB
mode off> What'd you pay in a shop?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences; now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and with more grace than
anyone I've ever known.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,387
Default Some new foodie finds

On Dec 30, 2:01*pm, koko > wrote:
> We were in Lake Havasu visiting daughter Erika and family over the
> Christmas holiday. Dang I love my grandsons, they are so much fun.
> Sorry, I digress.
> Here are a few foodie things I found while we were shopping in
> Bullhead City.
>
> A nice little Le Creuset 7"rectangular stoneware baking dish. Some Sri
> Lankan curry and some Spanish hot smoked paprika. Two grinding mills,
> one filled with a Thai blend and one with a Key West blend. Can't wait
> to try these.http://i41.tinypic.com/ioq06p.jpg
>
> Now for my funky find. I love coming across these weird little
> treasures.
>
> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg
>
> Packaging propagan..ahem..information.http://i43.tinypic.com/2aesfpg.jpght...om/2570wnl.jpg
>
> It comes with it's own handy dandy little grater. The cube is roughly
> 2" square.http://i41.tinypic.com/106g1gk.jpg
>
> This stuff is good.http://i43.tinypic.com/2yjt0l3.jpg
>
> It will be so easy to just grate a little over the food right before
> serving.
> This should last me a good long time.
>
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard Shawwww.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 12/30


I was recently in my fave ethnic store, Hmart- they had huge salt
monoliths- I think they even had lights in them. They were also well
over $150.00
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,980
Default 2 Some new foodie finds

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:39:57 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> koko > wrote:
>
>> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
>> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg

>
>> koko

>
>OK, maybe I don't want one after all. Online from himalasalt.com,
>they're $15 plus shipping. <Bob Barker mode on> That's too much!! <BB
>mode off> What'd you pay in a shop?


Bbbbbut it will last a lifetime_and_it comes with it's own handy dandy
little grater that can be used for other things.
I doubt I'll need to buy another one in my lifetime or I'll become so
senile that I'll forget I even have it.

I found it at Marshall's for ten bucks.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,124
Default 2 Some new foodie finds

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:39:57 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > koko > wrote:
> >
> >> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
> >> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg

> >
> >> koko

> >
> >OK, maybe I don't want one after all. Online from himalasalt.com,
> >they're $15 plus shipping. <Bob Barker mode on> That's too much!! <BB
> >mode off> What'd you pay in a shop?

>
> Bbbbbut it will last a lifetime_and_it comes with it's own handy dandy
> little grater that can be used for other things.


Well-l-l, okay!

> I doubt I'll need to buy another one in my lifetime or I'll become so
> senile that I'll forget I even have it.
>
> I found it at Marshall's for ten bucks.
>
> koko


Heckuva deal! I might pay $10 and I know ezzackly who the gift would be
for.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences; now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
anyone I've ever known.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24,847
Default Some new foodie finds

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> Now for my funky find. I love coming across these weird little
> treasures.
>
> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg


That looks like FUN!

Might work well with some Halite chunks from the mines in Utah too. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24,847
Default Some new foodie finds

In article
>,
merryb > wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2:01*pm, koko > wrote:
> > We were in Lake Havasu visiting daughter Erika and family over the
> > Christmas holiday. Dang I love my grandsons, they are so much fun.
> > Sorry, I digress.
> > Here are a few foodie things I found while we were shopping in
> > Bullhead City.
> >
> > A nice little Le Creuset 7"rectangular stoneware baking dish. Some Sri
> > Lankan curry and some Spanish hot smoked paprika. Two grinding mills,
> > one filled with a Thai blend and one with a Key West blend. Can't wait
> > to try these.http://i41.tinypic.com/ioq06p.jpg
> >
> > Now for my funky find. I love coming across these weird little
> > treasures.
> >
> > How did I ever get along without a Zen
> > Cube.http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg
> >
> > Packaging
> > propagan..ahem..information.http://i43.tinypic.com/2aesfpg.jpghttp://i39.tin
> > ypic.com/2e1ahz6.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/2isiq9u.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com
> > /2570wnl.jpg
> >
> > It comes with it's own handy dandy little grater. The cube is roughly
> > 2" square.http://i41.tinypic.com/106g1gk.jpg
> >
> > This stuff is good.http://i43.tinypic.com/2yjt0l3.jpg
> >
> > It will be so easy to just grate a little over the food right before
> > serving.
> > This should last me a good long time.
> >
> > koko
> > There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard
> > Shawwww.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> > updated 12/30

>
> I was recently in my fave ethnic store, Hmart- they had huge salt
> monoliths- I think they even had lights in them. They were also well
> over $150.00


Heh! Reminds me of the nice rocks sold at one of the gift shops in
Austin. They had some nice samples of Halite. They'd posted a sign next
to them not to get them wet

Evidently some customers had purchased some and tried to use them as
fish tank rocks. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61,789
Default Some new foodie finds

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:34:18 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Heh! Reminds me of the nice rocks sold at one of the gift shops in
>Austin. They had some nice samples of Halite. They'd posted a sign next
>to them not to get them wet
>
>Evidently some customers had purchased some and tried to use them as
>fish tank rocks. <g>


Not funny IMO. Let me get this straight. Halite is rock salt.
Everyone knows rock salt, Halite is not as well known. In fact, I'd
never heard of it until this thread. So they sell it for more if they
call it Halite?


--
I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

Mae West
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24,847
Default Some new foodie finds

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:34:18 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Heh! Reminds me of the nice rocks sold at one of the gift shops in
> >Austin. They had some nice samples of Halite. They'd posted a sign next
> >to them not to get them wet
> >
> >Evidently some customers had purchased some and tried to use them as
> >fish tank rocks. <g>

>
> Not funny IMO. Let me get this straight. Halite is rock salt.
> Everyone knows rock salt, Halite is not as well known. In fact, I'd
> never heard of it until this thread. So they sell it for more if they
> call it Halite?


Yeah, pretty much. It came in really pretty crystalized formations.

They put the sign up after they realized their mistake...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 352
Default Some new foodie finds

koko wrote:

> How did I ever get along without a Zen Cube.
> http://i43.tinypic.com/2cdkar8.jpg


Looks like a good idea. My eyesight ain't as good as it used to be so a
block of salt and a grater would be easier to control than my box of
salt. I've never liked any of the pepper grinders around so a block of
pepper would be grate too. just fuse the peppercorns together with salt. :-)

The Zen cube looks a lot like the Thai Rock Salt Crystal Deodorant I use
on my armpits for that oh-so-fresh feeling all day long. That stuff
works great without any of that nasty-ass scent regular deodorants have.
Heck, maybe it's the same stuff! :-)
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,545
Default Some new foodie finds

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:34:18 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Heh! Reminds me of the nice rocks sold at one of the gift shops in
> >Austin. They had some nice samples of Halite. They'd posted a sign next
> >to them not to get them wet
> >
> >Evidently some customers had purchased some and tried to use them as
> >fish tank rocks. <g>

>
> Not funny IMO. Let me get this straight. Halite is rock salt.
> Everyone knows rock salt, Halite is not as well known. In fact, I'd
> never heard of it until this thread. So they sell it for more if they
> call it Halite?


The lamps are kind of pretty. Not US$100 pretty, though. And they are
really just night-lights:

http://breathoflight.com/shop/catalo...products_id=64

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24,847
Default Some new foodie finds

In article
>,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:34:18 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Heh! Reminds me of the nice rocks sold at one of the gift shops in
> > >Austin. They had some nice samples of Halite. They'd posted a sign next
> > >to them not to get them wet
> > >
> > >Evidently some customers had purchased some and tried to use them as
> > >fish tank rocks. <g>

> >
> > Not funny IMO. Let me get this straight. Halite is rock salt.
> > Everyone knows rock salt, Halite is not as well known. In fact, I'd
> > never heard of it until this thread. So they sell it for more if they
> > call it Halite?

>
> The lamps are kind of pretty. Not US$100 pretty, though. And they are
> really just night-lights:
>
> http://breathoflight.com/shop/catalo...products_id=64


One of those would not be difficult to MAKE. Just get a basic lamp base
and purchase a large hunk of Halite. They can be ordered from many
places, or it you happen to live in Utah...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New, to me, foodie finds koko General Cooking 0 06-01-2015 01:37 AM
New finds George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 3 22-07-2013 02:13 PM
Foodie Finds from Foodie Weekend koko General Cooking 2 22-08-2010 05:47 PM
CostPlus finds j h Tea 0 22-01-2010 04:21 AM
TV: Food Finds Nancy Dooley General Cooking 10 23-09-2004 05:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"