Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A lost friend

We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
injured, but is expected to survive.

She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
"ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.

She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
dinner plates and soup bowls.

She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
trainer, as well.

The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
hollowness.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --

I'm sorry you lost your friend, especially so suddenly. What a lovely
tribute. I hope you share it with some of her other loved ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:08:55 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
>car wreck.

I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news.

Hugs,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck.

Oh, no.

> She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.

Your story tells a lot about what a terrific person she was.

> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.

I'm really sorry you lost your friend, and in such a way. Condolences.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:08:55 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> > wrote:
>
>> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
>> car wreck.

> I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news.

This has been one of those years that I will be happy to
see end. I feel like it's been nothing but grief.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

My condolences on your loss and prayers for a complete recovery for her
husband.

KW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 29 Dec 2008 08:08:55p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...

> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think we're ever really prepared.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
1dys 2hrs 34mins
Not only is life a bitch, it has puppies. --Adreienne E. Gusoff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

Sorry to hear about your friends death. A car wreck sounds ghastly
enough.

The thought occured to me over the past week. I did a lot of driving,
approximately 2,500 miles worth including RI to NC and then around and
about in NC. Much of that was at speeds of 70MPH to 80MPH. I realized
that the small car we were in, a Chevrolet Cobalt and that speed would
pretty much mean instant death/maiming if we were to get involved in a
serious accident.

It didn't slow me down much. One of my rules of the road and one that
all drivers are taught is to leave one car length for every 10MPH of
speed. I always allow enough space for merging traffic, etc. I wish
everyone else did the same.

I did find while driving through New York that one could signal a lane
change but to make the change you had to nose into the next lane and
then a hole would open up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:08:55 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
>car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
>they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
>lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
>injured, but is expected to survive.

<snip>

>The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
>she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
>prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
>we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
>hollowness.

Wow! That's awful. My condolences to all involved. Words always
fail me in times like this, but you did a great job memorializing her.
I'm sure you'll have the right words to say to her husband when he's
able to speak with you.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

My condolences to you and to her family on the loss of your friend. This
has truly been a sad year. May 2009 be better for all of us.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

I'm very sorry to hear that. :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck.

<snipped for space>

> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.

So sorry for your loss, Michael.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

Sudden losses I think are the hardest.
You have my condolences!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

The loss of friends and loved ones becomes more and more common as we age.
Do not let this fact of life overwhelm you. The best you can do in all
cases is to learn (force yourself) to CELEBRATE their lives and the time you
had with them. Good memories are our only link to immortality.

It's OK to be sad but, hold a mini wake. Toast the person & tell fond
stories.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. They had a
> lovely, big house in a small town up there. Her husband was badly
> injured, but is expected to survive.
>
> She was an excellent cook. While she lived here, she hosted monthly
> "ladies who lunch" gatherings at her house and, less frequently,
> dinner parties for colleagues and friends. We didn't always agree
> culinarily -- she disliked chiles, for example, and was no fan of
> lobster even though she was a New Englander -- but our dinners
> together were always a treat. She was an especially gifted baker.
>
> She loved dishes and would buy a new set on impulse in spite of her
> native frugality in most matters. (She was the only person D and I
> ever heard of who saved money while working as a graduate assistant!)
> Her husband collected classical music recordings. She collected
> dinner plates and soup bowls.
>
> She was very intelligent and not just in an academic way. An
> excellent diarist, she kept in touch with friends down here via
> periodic long emails packed with telling observations about their
> lives up north. While she still lived here, she adopted a stray fox
> terrier. She trained it to do amazing tricks. While it's certainly
> true the dog was very smart, it was apparent it had an outstanding
> trainer, as well.
>
> The suddenness of her death has overwhelmed us. It can't be true that
> she is dead. With the painful loss of Christy, we were somewhat
> prepared by the duration of her hospitalization. With this new loss,
> we are left empty, uncertain what to do or say. Grief is a
> hollowness.
> --
>
> modom

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Condolences to you, modom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> We've received word that a long-time friend was killed yesterday in a
> car wreck. She and her husband moved to Maine, her home state, after
> they retired from the university here a few years ago. (snips)
>
> modom

Michael, many sympathies & condolences to everyone impacted by your
friend's untimely and needless death. There aren't any words that make
the loss any less

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice