Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT and I don't care! "My Favorite Story about Christy Tipton"

I remember when our food pantry at work scored 25+ portions of IQF
mahi mahi. I'm a North Dakota kinda cook. I could have figured out
something great for 15 lbs of shrimp but mahi mahi scared me to
death. I posted here with a plea for some way to cook that dang fish
for a special dinner for the members without turning it into
styrofoam. I got tons of very complicated suggestions. Kili breezed
on the line and said that in Hawaii mahi mahi was so plentiful and
inexpensive she would get tired of it! She told me to bake it, and
serve it with fresh mango salsa. I did and it was delicious. I so
appreciated her wonderful humor and clear instructions. She was like
that with everybody wasn't she? What a special lady.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> I remember when our food pantry at work scored 25+ portions of IQF
> mahi mahi. I'm a North Dakota kinda cook. I could have figured out
> something great for 15 lbs of shrimp but mahi mahi scared me to
> death. I posted here with a plea for some way to cook that dang fish
> for a special dinner for the members without turning it into
> styrofoam. I got tons of very complicated suggestions. Kili breezed
> on the line and said that in Hawaii mahi mahi was so plentiful and
> inexpensive she would get tired of it! She told me to bake it, and
> serve it with fresh mango salsa. I did and it was delicious. I so
> appreciated her wonderful humor and clear instructions. She was like
> that with everybody wasn't she? What a special lady.

It's not "OT" at all, Lynne, and thanks for sharing the story.

:-)

Some of these Christy stories should be collated and posted somewhere, maybe
on the rfc.com site? Just an idea...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> I remember when our food pantry at work scored 25+ portions of IQF
> mahi mahi. I'm a North Dakota kinda cook. I could have figured out
> something great for 15 lbs of shrimp but mahi mahi scared me to
> death. I posted here with a plea for some way to cook that dang fish
> for a special dinner for the members without turning it into
> styrofoam. I got tons of very complicated suggestions. Kili breezed
> on the line and said that in Hawaii mahi mahi was so plentiful and
> inexpensive she would get tired of it! She told me to bake it, and
> serve it with fresh mango salsa. I did and it was delicious. I so
> appreciated her wonderful humor and clear instructions. She was like
> that with everybody wasn't she? What a special lady.
> Lynn in Fargo

OT?? Good grief, Lynn, it's more on topic than most of the crap posted
here.
How'd you bake it ‹ besides in an oven? '-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 2:12*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>
> > I remember when our food pantry at work scored *25+ portions of IQF
> > mahi mahi. *I'm a North Dakota kinda cook. *I could have figured out
> > something great for 15 lbs of shrimp but mahi mahi scared me to
> > death. *I posted here with a plea for some way to cook that dang fish
> > for a special dinner for the members without turning it into
> > styrofoam. *I got tons of very complicated suggestions. *Kili breezed
> > on the line and said that in Hawaii mahi mahi was so plentiful and
> > inexpensive she would get tired of it! *She told me to bake it, and
> > serve it with fresh mango salsa. *I did and it was delicious. *I so
> > appreciated her wonderful humor and clear instructions. *She was like
> > that with everybody wasn't she? What a special lady.
> > Lynn in Fargo

> OT?? * Good grief, Lynn, it's more on topic than most of the crap posted
> here. *
> How'd you bake it ‹ besides in an oven? *'-)
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: *"I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
> fences;
> now let the winter winds blow." *
> God rest your soul, Amy. *You fought harder and more gracefully than
> anyone
> I've ever known.

Thanks, Barb.
IIRC we brushed it with evoo and just a touch of s&p - the fresh mango
salsa (mango, red & green bell peppers, sweet onion, a "breath" (tee
hee) of garlic some lime juice and a little tabasco) had a little kick
to it
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
><http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
>fences;
>now let the winter winds blow."
>God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>anyone
>I've ever known.

Oh, Barb, your friend passed away ... I'm so sorry.
Another one gone too soon, what a shame.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:12:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>--
>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
><http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
>fences;
>now let the winter winds blow."
>God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>anyone
>I've ever known.

Sorry about your friend Barb. She looks so happy with her kids. I'm
sure she's missed by many.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:49:53 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>><http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>>December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
>>fences;
>>now let the winter winds blow."
>>God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>>anyone
>>I've ever known.

>Oh, Barb, your friend passed away ... I'm so sorry.
>Another one gone too soon, what a shame.
>
>nancy

Thanks for catching that Nancy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:12:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
>> fences;
>> now let the winter winds blow."
>> God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>> anyone
>> I've ever known.

So sorry to hear the sad news about Amy. You was a good friend and I
know she appreciated you.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:49:53 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>>> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended
>>> my fences;
>>> now let the winter winds blow."
>>> God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>>> anyone
>>> I've ever known.

>> Oh, Barb, your friend passed away ... I'm so sorry.
>> Another one gone too soon, what a shame.

> Thanks for catching that Nancy.

You're welcome, but I don't know how that caught my eye,
I don't generally notice sigs. Then I thought ... does it mean
what I think it means? I wanted to think not.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT and I don't care! "My Favorite Story about Christy Tipton" + recipe

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:12:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >--
> >-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> ><http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> >December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
> >fences;
> >now let the winter winds blow."
> >God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
> >anyone
> >I've ever known.

> Sorry about your friend Barb. She looks so happy with her kids. I'm
> sure she's missed by many.
>
> Lou

Thank you. The rains fall on the just and the unjust alike. Amy left a
remarkable legacy of grace and love expressed. Her family is
devastated. I ache for her mom and rejoice that Amy is no longer in
pain and she is safe from the winter winds.

Tonight we (her mom's friends) were supposed to gather to make 700
sandwiches for Amy's dead spread after tomorrow's memorial service.
Then the sandwiches got outsourced to a caterer and desserts (finger
food only) were solicited. I baked another batch of Scandinavian Almond
Bars for the event. I think this was the fourth batch of these I baked
this holiday season. I'm a sucker for almond anything. :-)

Scandinavian Almond Bars

? 1/2 cup butter
? 1 cup sugar
? 1 egg
? 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
? 1-2/3 cups flour (1-3/4 won't hurt)
? 2 teaspoons baking powder
? 1/2 teaspoon salt
? 1/2 cup sliced almonds coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and
flavoring, then combine and add dry ingredients. Don't overcream the
butter and sugar.

Divide into four (5.25 ounces each if you're weighing) portions, form
each into a 12" long roll. Place 2 rolls 4-5" apart on a greased cookie
sheet. Flatten to 3" wide (pat). (I also use a stockinetted rolling
pin.) Repeat with the other two.

Brush with milk, sprinkle with almonds and pat them into the dough a
bit; bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are browned. Immediately run a
thin metal spatula under the long bar to loosen it from the pan. If it
cools without first doing that, you're screwed; that sucker will stick
and make your life miserable. Trust me. Slice diagonally into 1" wide
pieces. Cool on wire rack then drizzle with glaze made from 1 cup
powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp almond extract, and 3-4 tsp milk to desired
consistency. A pinch of salt won't hurt it, either.

I use insulated baking sheets. If you don't, you're on your own.
I probably use closer to a cup of almonds, maybe 1/4 cup on each 'bar.'

Makes 48

NOTE: I cut those pieces in half to make 88-96 smaller pieces and,
after drizzling the glaze, sprinkle some clear edible glitter on them.
It's a nice effect.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
fences; now let the winter winds blow."
God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
anyone I've ever known.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:06:11 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:12:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >--
>> >-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> ><http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
>> >December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my
>> >fences;
>> >now let the winter winds blow."
>> >God rest your soul, Amy. You fought harder and more gracefully than
>> >anyone
>> >I've ever known.

>> Sorry about your friend Barb. She looks so happy with her kids. I'm
>> sure she's missed by many.
>>
>> Lou

>Thank you. The rains fall on the just and the unjust alike. Amy left a
>remarkable legacy of grace and love expressed. Her family is
>devastated. I ache for her mom and rejoice that Amy is no longer in
>pain and she is safe from the winter winds.
>
>Tonight we (her mom's friends) were supposed to gather to make 700
>sandwiches for Amy's dead spread after tomorrow's memorial service.
>Then the sandwiches got outsourced to a caterer and desserts (finger
>food only) were solicited. I baked another batch of Scandinavian Almond
>Bars for the event. I think this was the fourth batch of these I baked
>this holiday season. I'm a sucker for almond anything. :-)

Ahh, Barb...I missed this news in the chatter. Sorry for your
friend's suffering and your loss.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio n article
.. I baked another batch of Scandinavian Almond
> Bars for the event. I think this was the fourth batch of these I baked >
> this holiday season. I'm a sucker for almond anything. :-)

I thought I might make them for tonight until I read the almond extract
part-- extracts are not us in Italia.
I think you should use a Silpat under them so the loosening can be more
relaxed in case the phone rings or a racoon breaks into the house or
something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio n article
> . I baked another batch of Scandinavian Almond
>> Bars for the event. I think this was the fourth batch of these I baked >
>> this holiday season. I'm a sucker for almond anything. :-)

> I thought I might make them for tonight until I read the almond extract
> part-- extracts are not us in Italia.
> I think you should use a Silpat under them so the loosening can be more
> relaxed in case the phone rings or a racoon breaks into the house or
> something.

Couldn't you use amaretto liqueur instead?

Really, no flavor extracts are available in Italy?
Not even vanilla?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>> I thought I might make them for tonight until I read the almond
>> extract part-- extracts are not us in Italia.
>> I think you should use a Silpat under them so the loosening can be
>> more relaxed in case the phone rings or a racoon breaks into the house
>> or something.

> Couldn't you use amaretto liqueur instead?
> Really, no flavor extracts are available in Italy?
> Not even vanilla?
> gloria p

They weren't very common when I lived in Germany either. You could find
small vials (single use) at times. I think using the real thing or a
liquor is much more common.
Goomba