Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The slowly-thawing Northwest

The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.

Christmas dinner was our traditional duck à l'orange, with Texmati
brown-wild rice blend and roasted brussels sprouts on the side. SO
handled the duck while I did the sides. The cats thoroughly enjoyed the
roasted duck giblets. I made a loaf of bread out of "Bakewise", one of
this year's cookbook Christmas presents. Excellent. I'm also trying to
resuscitate a sourdough starter that's been languishing in the fridge.
Tonight's dinner will be the rest of the duck with sweet potatoes and
whatever green vegetable I can find in the freezer.

Cindy, hoping to get to the grocery store tomorrow before cabin fever
sets in

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
> still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
> didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
> staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
> have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
> into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
> past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.

It's too bad that that you guys have to suffer because the Seattle City
leaders have their collective heads so far up their asses. The primary
reason Seattle is suffering from transportation immobility is the refusal of
Seattle to use road salt and to keep rubber blades on the bottom edge of the
plows. The environmental nutjobs have really gone over the edge this time.
Here in Wenatchee, with three times the snow that you've received, our roads
have stayed passable and the fish in the Columbia are still alive.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg > wrote:

> It's too bad that that you guys have to suffer because the Seattle City
> leaders have their collective heads so far up their asses. The primary
> reason Seattle is suffering from transportation immobility is the refusal of
> Seattle to use road salt and to keep rubber blades on the bottom edge of the
> plows. The environmental nutjobs have really gone over the edge this time.
> Here in Wenatchee, with three times the snow that you've received, our roads
> have stayed passable and the fish in the Columbia are still alive.

Let me guess - Roadsalt would jeopardize the bacteria that resides
in the sewers and the rubber blades are so that the metal blades
won't kick up dust casing asthmatics to suffer?

Imagine if it snowed in San Francisco. I'm pretty sure they'd
outlaw snow. Inside every snowflake is a dust particle, after all.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Let me guess - Roadsalt would jeopardize the bacteria that resides
> in the sewers and the rubber blades are so that the metal blades
> won't kick up dust casing asthmatics to suffer?

LOL. Just wait til spring. Seattle has laid down enough sand to strip the
Sahara bare in an attempt to ameliorate the lack of salt. Come spring, that
leftover sand is going to be ground down to dust by the traffic and spewed
into the air. Asthmatics rejoice, the fish are safe even though your
nightmare has yet to begin.

> Imagine if it snowed in San Francisco. I'm pretty sure they'd
> outlaw snow. Inside every snowflake is a dust particle, after all.

At the very least, we can put it on the ballot as a voter initiative.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 12:10�pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:

> The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but
> the buses are still running sporadically.

I'm going to Portland on 1/5/09 - a favorite destination
of mine - for about 10 days. I'm watching the weather
reports diligently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
> still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
> didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
> staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
> have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
> into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
> past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.
>
> Christmas dinner was our traditional duck à l'orange, with Texmati
> brown-wild rice blend and roasted brussels sprouts on the side. SO
> handled the duck while I did the sides. The cats thoroughly enjoyed the
> roasted duck giblets. I made a loaf of bread out of "Bakewise", one of
> this year's cookbook Christmas presents. Excellent. I'm also trying to
> resuscitate a sourdough starter that's been languishing in the fridge.
> Tonight's dinner will be the rest of the duck with sweet potatoes and
> whatever green vegetable I can find in the freezer.
>
> Cindy, hoping to get to the grocery store tomorrow before cabin fever
> sets in

How much snow do you actualy have *on the roads*, and I don't mean how much
the weather report says. Maybe I'm being an arrogant Canadian who lives in
a snow zone, but unless there is 50cm+ within 12 hours before it settles, no
big deal, plows or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Peter" > wrote:

> How much snow do you actualy have *on the roads*, and I don't mean how much
> the weather report says. Maybe I'm being an arrogant Canadian who lives in
> a snow zone, but unless there is 50cm+ within 12 hours before it settles, no
> big deal, plows or not.

I'm an arrogant upstate NY'er by birth, Peter. I survived 3 meters of
snow during the blizzard of 1966, so this looks trivial to my eyes.
Overall we got 18" (~45 cm), with sporadic thawing and re-icing. At any
given time we had at least 6" (15 cm) of wet snow on top of ice. Most
people in Seattle don't have studded snow tires. Even if they do have
4- or all-wheel drive vehicles, they have no clue about how to drive in
snow. Case in point: Monday night or early Tuesday morning an SUV went
into a ditch around the corner from our house. Both right wheels were
in the ditch, and the SUV was precariously listing to the right near a
rather rocky cliff. Seattle has a lot of steep hills, which is another
reason why snow/ice is not handled well here.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller > wrote:

>I'm an arrogant upstate NY'er by birth, Peter. I survived 3 meters of
>snow during the blizzard of 1966, so this looks trivial to my eyes.
>Overall we got 18" (~45 cm), with sporadic thawing and re-icing. At any
>given time we had at least 6" (15 cm) of wet snow on top of ice. Most
>people in Seattle don't have studded snow tires. Even if they do have
>4- or all-wheel drive vehicles, they have no clue about how to drive in
>snow. Case in point: Monday night or early Tuesday morning an SUV went
>into a ditch around the corner from our house. Both right wheels were
>in the ditch, and the SUV was precariously listing to the right near a
>rather rocky cliff. Seattle has a lot of steep hills, which is another
>reason why snow/ice is not handled well here.

Has anyone calculated whether SUV's are more likely than other
vehicles to lose it in snowy/icy weather, due to their high
center of mass? It seems to me if they start to tip even
slightly, they're gonna lose all traction on one side, at
least relative to a passenger car.

That plus they don't meet the same safety regulations.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Has anyone calculated whether SUV's are more likely than other
> vehicles to lose it in snowy/icy weather, due to their high
> center of mass? It seems to me if they start to tip even
> slightly, they're gonna lose all traction on one side, at
> least relative to a passenger car.
>
> That plus they don't meet the same safety regulations.
>
> Steve

That, plus drivers greatly overestimate the ability of the SUV
to maneuver in ice and snow. It's no zamboni but suburbanites
treat it like one. Drivers who are used to Colorado's mountain
conditions seem to handle their 4WDs much better. I think they
have more of a healthy respect for conditions as opposed to the
flatlanders in their Humvees driving to ski on the weekends, who
take stoopid chances.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:10:44 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
>still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
>didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
>staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
>have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
>into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
>past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.
>
>Christmas dinner was our traditional duck à l'orange, with Texmati
>brown-wild rice blend and roasted brussels sprouts on the side. SO
>handled the duck while I did the sides. The cats thoroughly enjoyed the
>roasted duck giblets. I made a loaf of bread out of "Bakewise", one of
>this year's cookbook Christmas presents. Excellent. I'm also trying to
>resuscitate a sourdough starter that's been languishing in the fridge.
>Tonight's dinner will be the rest of the duck with sweet potatoes and
>whatever green vegetable I can find in the freezer.
>
>Cindy, hoping to get to the grocery store tomorrow before cabin fever
>sets in

Been a roller coaster 'round these parts this week, weatherwise. Today
it hit 79 in Dallas. Here in Cow Hill we only got up to 75 or so.
But we had some hard freezes in the past seven days, too. Somebody was
killed in an ice-related car wreck in big D the other day. Somebody'd
left his lawn sprinklers on too long the night before and the flooded
street froze. Dallasites don't cope well with ice.

Chirstmas dinner was at my sister's place in Mansfield. Excellent
dressing, but the pork roast was overcooked. I didn't do any of the
cooking this time. That's a first in several years.

D got me a copy of "Mangoes and Curry Leaves" by Jeffrey Alford and
Naomi Duguid, and I spent much of the day looking at the pictures and
reading the lovely anecdotes about their rough and ready travels
through the Indian Subcontinent. It's no ordinary cookbook.

Today I seasoned my new smoker pit with a pecan wood fire, and this
evening we drove to Dallas for dinner at Salum's:
http://www.salumrestaurant.com/

It's very good, and today is my daughter's birthday. A splurge was in
order.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> Been a roller coaster 'round these parts this week, weatherwise. Today
> it hit 79 in Dallas. Here in Cow Hill we only got up to 75 or so.
> But we had some hard freezes in the past seven days, too. Somebody was
> killed in an ice-related car wreck in big D the other day. Somebody'd
> left his lawn sprinklers on too long the night before and the flooded
> street froze. Dallasites don't cope well with ice.

I remember that well. Some days I had to go well out of my way to get
across the mighty (not) Trinity River to get to work at the Med School.

> D got me a copy of "Mangoes and Curry Leaves" by Jeffrey Alford and
> Naomi Duguid, and I spent much of the day looking at the pictures and
> reading the lovely anecdotes about their rough and ready travels
> through the Indian Subcontinent. It's no ordinary cookbook.

I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.

> Today I seasoned my new smoker pit with a pecan wood fire, and this
> evening we drove to Dallas for dinner at Salum's:
> http://www.salumrestaurant.com/
>
> It's very good, and today is my daughter's birthday. A splurge was in
> order.
> --

Looks like a good restaurant. The appetizer ptés on the menu remind me
of the old Jennivine.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:28:59 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
>Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
>best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.

I have most of their books too, including the newest one, Beyond the
Great Wall.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Let me guess - Roadsalt would jeopardize the bacteria that resides
> in the sewers and the rubber blades are so that the metal blades
> won't kick up dust casing asthmatics to suffer?

The mayor claims the no-salt policy was implemented because of concerns
that runoff from salted roads would alter the salinity of Puget sound,
and that this would make it harder for salmon to return to their
breeding areas. Salmon use chemical signatures to navigate.

It's a controversial topic. Some scientists say that dumping sand
(which is what the road crews use instead of salt) is even more harmful
to the environment.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Let me guess - Roadsalt would jeopardize the bacteria that resides
>> in the sewers and the rubber blades are so that the metal blades
>> won't kick up dust casing asthmatics to suffer?

> The mayor claims the no-salt policy was implemented because of
> concerns that runoff from salted roads would alter the salinity of
> Puget sound,

Nickels is a putz. His science is based on special-interest politics. The
amount of salt that would have been used would be negligible to the Sound
and have no real impact. But the lives his policy put at risk is a very real
threat.

> ....snip..... Some scientists say that dumping sand
> (which is what the road crews use instead of salt) is even more
> harmful to the environment.

It affects and harms the ability of treatment plants to function properly by
clogging filters. It also creates massive air-pollution when the roads dry
out.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:28:59 -0800, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>

>> D got me a copy of "Mangoes and Curry Leaves" by Jeffrey Alford and
>> Naomi Duguid, and I spent much of the day looking at the pictures and
>> reading the lovely anecdotes about their rough and ready travels
>> through the Indian Subcontinent. It's no ordinary cookbook.

> I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
> Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
> best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.

there was an article on them in the nov. 24 issue of *the new yorker*.
also, calvin trillin on the best BBQ in texas and one on an american master
knifemaker. worth checking out if you can.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:28:59 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>

> >I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
> >Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
> >best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.

> I have most of their books too, including the newest one, Beyond the
> Great Wall.
>
> Christine

That's one of the next books on my list. I can't complain about this
year's Christmas haul:

BakeWise--Shirley and I are both former lab types, so we're on the same
wavelength. The bread I made on Christmas (Land of Milk & Honey Whole
Wheat Bread) is from her book.

Paley's Place Cookbook--from a restaurant in Portland. Some of the
recipes are a bit precious, but others look doable.

Fish without a Doubt--If we can get down to the Market today, we will
make the bouillabaisse recipe out of this book.

Two Williams-Sonoma cookbooks, Asian Food and Seafood.

Gooseberry Patch Farmhouse Christmas--some interesting bread and cookie
recipes.

It's all rain here today. Welcome to the Seattle Slush Festival.
Tomorrow we just might have a garbage pickup (oh, happy day!) IF the
trucks can get up our unplowed dead-end street.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:56:35 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:28:59 -0800, Cindy Fuller wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>>

>>> D got me a copy of "Mangoes and Curry Leaves" by Jeffrey Alford and
>>> Naomi Duguid, and I spent much of the day looking at the pictures and
>>> reading the lovely anecdotes about their rough and ready travels
>>> through the Indian Subcontinent. It's no ordinary cookbook.

>> I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
>> Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
>> best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.
>>>

>there was an article on them in the nov. 24 issue of *the new yorker*.
>also, calvin trillin on the best BBQ in texas and one on an american master
>knifemaker. worth checking out if you can.
>
>your pal,
>blake

I read it. That's why D got me the book. The profile of the authors
was fascinating.

The Trillin article is also a treat. The folks at Snow's Barbecue
came across as real sweethearts. Incidentally, Snow's will ship their
barbecue if you order it online: http://www.snowsbbq.com/ But they
only ship to Texas addresses, which is a little strange considering
they're closer to Lake Charles, LA and Carlsbad, NM than they are to
El Paso.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 4:37*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Peter" > wrote:
>
> > How much snow do you actualy have *on the roads*, and I don't mean how much
> > the weather report says. * Maybe I'm being an arrogant Canadian who lives in
> > a snow zone, but unless there is 50cm+ within 12 hours before it settles, no
> > big deal, plows or not.

> I'm an arrogant upstate NY'er by birth, Peter. *I survived 3 meters of
> snow during the blizzard of 1966, so this looks trivial to my eyes. *
> Overall we got 18" (~45 cm), with sporadic thawing and re-icing. *At any
> given time we had at least 6" (15 cm) of wet snow on top of ice. *Most
> people in Seattle don't have studded snow tires. *Even if they do have
> 4- or all-wheel drive vehicles, they have no clue about how to drive in
> snow. *Case in point: *Monday night or early Tuesday morning an SUV went
> into a ditch around the corner from our house. *Both right wheels were
> in the ditch, and the SUV was precariously listing to the right near a
> rather rocky cliff. *Seattle has a lot of steep hills, which is another
> reason why snow/ice is not handled well here.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Most people here are horrible drivers anyway- the slush/snow just
magnifies it! Especially here in Gig Harbor- I'll bet Bellevue is the
same way- yuppies with their gigantic SUVs that probably don't even
know how to put their vehicles in 4 wheel drive! LOL! It's much better
now that stores have finally plowed their lots and the rest is
melting...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Peter" > wrote:
>>
>> How much snow do you actualy have *on the roads*, and I don't mean how
>> much
>> the weather report says. Maybe I'm being an arrogant Canadian who lives
>> in
>> a snow zone, but unless there is 50cm+ within 12 hours before it settles,
>> no
>> big deal, plows or not.

> I'm an arrogant upstate NY'er by birth, Peter. I survived 3 meters of
> snow during the blizzard of 1966, so this looks trivial to my eyes.
> Overall we got 18" (~45 cm), with sporadic thawing and re-icing. At any
> given time we had at least 6" (15 cm) of wet snow on top of ice. Most
> people in Seattle don't have studded snow tires. Even if they do have
> 4- or all-wheel drive vehicles, they have no clue about how to drive in
> snow.

It snowed in Tennessee once when I was there a few years back, 3cm or so.
They shut down the major roads! We were allowed to pass because we had
Ontario plates and we were kind to the cop blocking it off. We had a good
laugh out of it, but I guess if you never drive in snow it can be an issue.

> Case in point: Monday night or early Tuesday morning an SUV went
> into a ditch around the corner from our house. Both right wheels were
> in the ditch, and the SUV was precariously listing to the right near a
> rather rocky cliff. Seattle has a lot of steep hills, which is another
> reason why snow/ice is not handled well here.

The hills make a difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:28:11 -0500, "Peter" > wrote:

>The hills make a difference.

Especially when there are no guard rails and a forty foot drop off. A
common occurance in East Tennessee. People have gone off and not
found until spring...and they ain't fresh any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:28:11 -0500, "Peter" > wrote:
>
>>The hills make a difference.
>>

> Especially when there are no guard rails and a forty foot drop off. A
> common occurance in East Tennessee. People have gone off and not
> found until spring...and they ain't fresh any more.

You just have to drive for the conditions. I live at the top of a very
steep hill, that has a intersection/traffic light at the bottom. The people
here know well enough not to go flying down the hills, go *very* slow if
thats what it takes... and I mean 3Kph slow to do it safely. Yes, you can
get out and walk faster. If it is pure ice, thats a different story and
may be worth closing a road for, snow isn't so bad though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 9:35�am, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:

> Paley's Place Cookbook--from a restaurant in
> Portland. �Some of the recipes are a bit precious,
> but others look doable.

If you ever get to Portland, I hope you'll try Paley's. Maybe
you have. Northwest 21st and Northrup. The trolley stops
right next to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
> still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
> didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
> staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
> have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
> into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
> past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.

Last week at this time we had more than a foot and a half of snow on the
ground. The only places we still have snow is where it had drifted, but
it is 60 F here in the Niagara Peninsula. The streams are fill with the
run off. This stuff is melting faster than it fell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:39:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Cindy Fuller wrote:
>> The main streets seem to be clearing up in Seattle, but the buses are
>> still running sporadically. I've managed to come down with a cold and
>> didn't like the idea of waiting for buses that wouldn't come, so I'm
>> staying home--again. Maybe hell will freeze over and we'll actually
>> have a trash pickup today. My sister, ever the one to rub road salt
>> into an open wound, observed yesterday that a snowplow had just gone
>> past her house when there was barely an inch of snow on the streets.

>Last week at this time we had more than a foot and a half of snow on the
>ground. The only places we still have snow is where it had drifted, but
>it is 60 F here in the Niagara Peninsula. The streams are fill with the
>run off. This stuff is melting faster than it fell.

That's about what we've got here Dave. And thunderstorms and big time
wind. There was 101 MPG gusts a few hours south of Chicago and
tornado watches. 6 days ago people were having pipes freeze up.
It's been a weird winter so far.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
KevinS > wrote:

> On Dec 27, 9:35?am, Cindy Fuller >
> wrote:
>
> > Paley's Place Cookbook--from a restaurant in
> > Portland. ?Some of the recipes are a bit precious,
> > but others look doable.

> If you ever get to Portland, I hope you'll try Paley's. Maybe
> you have. Northwest 21st and Northrup. The trolley stops
> right next to it.

We didn't make it there in July when we were down there. We went to
Higgins (excellent) and Park Place (so-so). We were staying at the
Heathman, and had brunch there (very good).

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Most people here are horrible drivers anyway- the slush/snow just
> magnifies it! Especially here in Gig Harbor- I'll bet Bellevue is the
> same way- yuppies with their gigantic SUVs that probably don't even
> know how to put their vehicles in 4 wheel drive! LOL! It's much better
> now that stores have finally plowed their lots and the rest is
> melting...

We refuse to live on the East Side because there are limited routes to
get to our respective workplaces. My next door neighbor works in
Bellevue and she hasn't been able to get to work via bus all week.

OB Food: We're getting brave and going to West Seattle for dinner with
friends. The main course is cheese fondue. We're bringing a pear and
pomegranate salad. Pecans and gorgonzola cheese on the side.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Nickels is a putz. His science is based on special-interest politics.

Who is the special interest that benefits if Seattle does not use salt
on the roads?

Other than the alleged ecological benefit (on which I have no opinion),
the only other argument that I have read is that salt is a lot more
expensive than sand. The cost differential probably depends on
geography. When I lived in upstate NY, we had lots of salt on the
roads, maybe because Cargill had salt mines in the area. We had clear
roads, and cars with lots of rust holes.

Right now there are a lot of people mad at city hall, but it is probably
not going to cause any long-term political consequences. Major snow
storms like this are very rare in Seattle.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 2:21�pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:

> We didn't make it there in July when we were down
> there. �We went to Higgins (excellent) and Park Place
> (so-so). �We were staying at the Heathman, and had
> brunch there (very good).

Park Kitchen perhaps? (In the northwest Park Blocks near
the main post office?) Otherwise, good choices. I usually
manage to squeeze in at least lunch at Higgins when I'm
in town.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:18:44 -0600, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:56:35 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:28:59 -0800, Cindy Fuller wrote:

>>> I've got four of their cookbooks: Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Seductions of
>>> Rice; Flatbreads and Flavors; and Home Baking. I like the first one the
>>> best, mostly because I'm a Southeast Asian food fiend.
>>>>

>>there was an article on them in the nov. 24 issue of *the new yorker*.
>>also, calvin trillin on the best BBQ in texas and one on an american master
>>knifemaker. worth checking out if you can.
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> I read it. That's why D got me the book. The profile of the authors
> was fascinating.

they seem to have fashioned quite a life for themselves. did you read the
knife master thing, too?

your pal,
blake