Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Dinner at our house

After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was prepared.
I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half hour, then lowered the
heat to 325 until the roast reached 130 deg. I took it out,
put in the Yorkshire pudding, and tented the roast till everything was
done. It was perfect.

I provided wine, cheese, smoked salmon and raw veg while folks were waiting.

We sat down to:

rib roast, gravy
sauteed mushrooms
Yorkshire pudding
green and yellow string beans
mashed potatoes
mashed sweet potatoes
assorted olives
salad: mixed baby greens, chopped pear, pomegranate seeds,
candied pecans, with blush wine dressing
shiraz

Dessert was a "bought" deli tiramisu, coffee and cordials

It was a delicious meal, even our 7 yr. old grandson thought so.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was prepared.
> I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half hour, then lowered the
> heat to 325 until the roast reached 130 deg. I took it out,
> put in the Yorkshire pudding, and tented the roast till everything was
> done. It was perfect.
>
> I provided wine, cheese, smoked salmon and raw veg while folks were
> waiting.
>
> We sat down to:
>
> rib roast, gravy
> sauteed mushrooms
> Yorkshire pudding
> green and yellow string beans
> mashed potatoes
> mashed sweet potatoes
> assorted olives
> salad: mixed baby greens, chopped pear, pomegranate seeds,
> candied pecans, with blush wine dressing
> shiraz
>
> Dessert was a "bought" deli tiramisu, coffee and cordials
>
> It was a delicious meal, even our 7 yr. old grandson thought so.

Ours started off with appetizers that my sister in law's mother brought;
spanokapita, cranberry cream cheese pinwheels and a cheese ball. I
roasted a stuffed turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots an spinach
salad. SiL had offered to bring a broccoli salad but forgot. Her mother
also brought a wonderful Christmas pudding and caramel sauce, and we had
lots of shortbread, Scottish shortbread, mincemeat tarts and brownies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 26 Dec 2008 12:22:10p, Gloria P told us...

> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was prepared.
> I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half hour, then lowered the
> heat to 325 until the roast reached 130 deg. I took it out,
> put in the Yorkshire pudding, and tented the roast till everything was
> done. It was perfect.
>
> I provided wine, cheese, smoked salmon and raw veg while folks were
> waiting.
>
> We sat down to:
>
> rib roast, gravy
> sauteed mushrooms
> Yorkshire pudding
> green and yellow string beans
> mashed potatoes
> mashed sweet potatoes
> assorted olives
> salad: mixed baby greens, chopped pear, pomegranate seeds,
> candied pecans, with blush wine dressing
> shiraz
>
> Dessert was a "bought" deli tiramisu, coffee and cordials
>
> It was a delicious meal, even our 7 yr. old grandson thought so.
>
> gloria p

Sounds like a *perfect* dinner, Gloria!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
4dys 9hrs 31mins
Even snakes are afraid of snakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 26 Dec 2008 12:58:34p, Dave Smith told us...

> Gloria P wrote:
>>
>> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was prepared.
>> I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half hour, then lowered the
>> heat to 325 until the roast reached 130 deg. I took it out,
>> put in the Yorkshire pudding, and tented the roast till everything was
>> done. It was perfect.
>>
>> I provided wine, cheese, smoked salmon and raw veg while folks were
>> waiting.
>>
>> We sat down to:
>>
>> rib roast, gravy
>> sauteed mushrooms
>> Yorkshire pudding
>> green and yellow string beans
>> mashed potatoes
>> mashed sweet potatoes
>> assorted olives
>> salad: mixed baby greens, chopped pear, pomegranate seeds,
>> candied pecans, with blush wine dressing
>> shiraz
>>
>> Dessert was a "bought" deli tiramisu, coffee and cordials
>>
>> It was a delicious meal, even our 7 yr. old grandson thought so.
>>

> Ours started off with appetizers that my sister in law's mother brought;
> spanokapita, cranberry cream cheese pinwheels and a cheese ball. I
> roasted a stuffed turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots an spinach
> salad. SiL had offered to bring a broccoli salad but forgot. Her mother
> also brought a wonderful Christmas pudding and caramel sauce, and we had
> lots of shortbread, Scottish shortbread, mincemeat tarts and brownies.

Certainly couldn't go wrong with that combination, Dave. What was the
difference between the shortbread and the Scottish shortbread?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
4dys 9hrs 30mins
Never explain. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't
believe it anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Ours started off with appetizers that my sister in law's mother brought;
>> spanokapita, cranberry cream cheese pinwheels and a cheese ball. I
>> roasted a stuffed turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots an spinach
>> salad. SiL had offered to bring a broccoli salad but forgot. Her mother
>> also brought a wonderful Christmas pudding and caramel sauce, and we had
>> lots of shortbread, Scottish shortbread, mincemeat tarts and brownies.

> Certainly couldn't go wrong with that combination, Dave. What was the
> difference between the shortbread and the Scottish shortbread?

Scottish shortbread has substance to it while the regular stuff is much
softer, and the Scottish stuff is much easier to make. You don't have to
cool it, roll it out and cut it. You just whizz the ingredients together
in a food processor, press it into a pan, poke it with a fork, bake it
and then cut it while it's warm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 26 Dec 2008 03:27:21p, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Ours started off with appetizers that my sister in law's mother

brought;
>>> spanokapita, cranberry cream cheese pinwheels and a cheese ball. I
>>> roasted a stuffed turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots an spinach
>>> salad. SiL had offered to bring a broccoli salad but forgot. Her

mother
>>> also brought a wonderful Christmas pudding and caramel sauce, and we

had
>>> lots of shortbread, Scottish shortbread, mincemeat tarts and

brownies.

>> Certainly couldn't go wrong with that combination, Dave. What was the
>> difference between the shortbread and the Scottish shortbread?

> Scottish shortbread has substance to it while the regular stuff is much
> softer, and the Scottish stuff is much easier to make. You don't have to
> cool it, roll it out and cut it. You just whizz the ingredients together
> in a food processor, press it into a pan, poke it with a fork, bake it
> and then cut it while it's warm.

Thanks, Dave. Then that means I've always been making Scottish shortbread,
as that's exactly how I make it. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
4dys 8hrs 29mins
Just remember, Sometimes the dragon wins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 11:22�am, Gloria P > wrote:

> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was
> prepared. I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half
> hour, then lowered the heat to 325 until the roast
> reached 130 deg.

What was the overall time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was prepared.
> I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half hour, then lowered the
> heat to 325 until the roast reached 130 deg. I took it out,
> put in the Yorkshire pudding, and tented the roast till everything was
> done. It was perfect.
>
> I provided wine, cheese, smoked salmon and raw veg while folks were waiting.
>
> We sat down to:
>
> rib roast, gravy
> sauteed mushrooms
> Yorkshire pudding
> green and yellow string beans
> mashed potatoes
> mashed sweet potatoes
> assorted olives
> salad: mixed baby greens, chopped pear, pomegranate seeds,
> candied pecans, with blush wine dressing
> shiraz
>
> Dessert was a "bought" deli tiramisu, coffee and cordials
>
> It was a delicious meal, even our 7 yr. old grandson thought so.
>
> gloria p

Sounds wonderful. :-)
I've not cooked ours yet so we had leftovers.
I had to work so I'm cooking it on Sunday.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Scottish shortbread has substance to it while the regular stuff is much
>> softer, and the Scottish stuff is much easier to make. You don't have to
>> cool it, roll it out and cut it. You just whizz the ingredients together
>> in a food processor, press it into a pan, poke it with a fork, bake it
>> and then cut it while it's warm.
>>

> Thanks, Dave. Then that means I've always been making Scottish shortbread,
> as that's exactly how I make it. :-)

It is not only a lot easier to make, I like it better than the melt in
your mouth type.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 26 Dec 2008 04:32:22p, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Scottish shortbread has substance to it while the regular stuff is
>>> much softer, and the Scottish stuff is much easier to make. You don't
>>> have to cool it, roll it out and cut it. You just whizz the
>>> ingredients together in a food processor, press it into a pan, poke it
>>> with a fork, bake it and then cut it while it's warm.
>>>

>> Thanks, Dave. Then that means I've always been making Scottish
>> shortbread, as that's exactly how I make it. :-)

> It is not only a lot easier to make, I like it better than the melt in
> your mouth type.

So do I, Dave.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
4dys 7hrs 16mins
To save trouble later, Joe named his cat Roadkill Fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:22�am, Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> After reading all the rib roast cooking methods, I was
>> prepared. I cooked an 8 lb. roast at 500deg. for a half
>> hour, then lowered the heat to 325 until the roast
>> reached 130 deg.

> What was the overall time?

IIRC, I put it in the oven at 11:00 and it was ready to come out
at 1:30 and rest while the Yorkshire pudding cooked.

gloria p