FoodBanter.com

-   -   why don't my hard boiled eggs peel? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1660-why-dont-my-hard.html)

JLove98905 30-10-2003 04:36 AM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked. But
for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the peel,
leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(

I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat in
that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating one.

What did i do wrong?

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

ConnieG999 30-10-2003 05:14 AM

OSPAM (JLove98905) writes:

>I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat in
>that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating one.

Sigh.
We cover this subject every week.
In my experience, the above works except that I crack the eggs and roll them
around a little in the cold water, so that the water seeps under the shell.
Then let them sit just a few minutes. Should peel fine, whether the eggs are
fresh or not.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

rrb_091903 30-10-2003 05:27 AM

JLove98905 wrote:

> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked. But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating one.
>
> What did i do wrong?

I cook them as you do for ten minutes. I then remove them from the heat
and run cold water in the pan in the sink for a few minutes. I then
crack the shell all around by hitting the egg against the sink. I then
peel the egg while running cold water over it. I have never had the
problem with the shell sticking to the egg.

Becca 30-10-2003 02:08 PM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

> What did i do wrong?

Your eggs were too fresh.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c...2229%2C00.html

Becca

Mr. Wizard 30-10-2003 02:20 PM

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked.

But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the

peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat

in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating

one.

> What did i do wrong?

Here is the secret and I swear by it for
perfect boiled and peeled eggs.

From Julia Child

How much water? That depends on how many eggs you have.
The water should cover the eggs by 1 inch, so use a tall pan,
and I would hesitate, under home conditions,
to do more than 2 dozen eggs at once.

For 1 to 4 eggs...2 quarts of water For 12 eggs.......3 1/2 quarts
For 24 eggs.......6 quarts of water

Special Equipment Suggested:
a high rather than wide saucepan with cover; a bowl of sufficient size
with ice cubes and water to cover eggs.

The cooking: Lay the eggs in the pan and add the amount of
cold water specified. Set over high heat and bring just to the boil;
remove from heat, cover the pan, and let sit exactly 17 minutes.

The 2-minute chill: When the time is up, transfer the eggs to
the bowl of ice cubes and water. Chill for 2 minutes while
bringing the cooking water to the boil again.
The 2-minute chilling shrinks the body of the egg from the shell.

The 10-second boil: Transfer the eggs (6 at a time only) to the
boiling water, bring to the boil again, and boil for 10 seconds
which in turn expands the shell from the egg. Return the eggs to
the ice water, cracking the shells gently in several places.

Preventing that dark line around the yolk:
Chilling the eggs promptly prevents that dark line from forming,
and if you have time, leave the egg in the ice water
(adding more ice if needed) for 15 to 20 minutes before
peeling. Chilled eggs are easier to peel, too.
Or peel them, as described in the next paragraph,
and ice them at once.

Peeling: Crack an egg all over by gently tapping it
against the sink. Then, starting at the large end, and holding
the egg either under a thin stream of cold water or in the
bowl of ice water, start peeling. As soon as you have
peeled it, return the egg to the ice water so that it will
continue to chill.

Storing the HB eggs: They will keep perfectly in the refrigerator,
submerged in water in an uncovered container, for 2 to 3 days.
--
His Wizardship,
Mr. Wizard

"See there boy. Once you pull their teeth they're toothless"

"They love the milk and honey but forget
who bought it and what the price was."

"Peace isn't the absence of conflict.
It is the presence of justice"

Jtm2121 30-10-2003 04:28 PM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

When boiling eggs,use 2-3 Tbs.of salt.This makes peeling a lot easier.For fine
recipes,please e-mail se type "Recipe" in subject.Thank
you.Joseph

Dimitri 30-10-2003 04:40 PM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked.

But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the

peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat

in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating

one.

> What did i do wrong?
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Go here for "Tips" from the American Egg Board.

http://www.aeb.org/recipes/basics/ha...d_Egg_Tips.htm

"Very fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. The fresher the eggs, the more
the shell membranes cling tenaciously to the shells. Though many techniques
to make peeling easier have been tried, the simplest method is to buy and
refrigerate eggs a week to ten days in advance of hard cooking. This brief
"breather" allows the eggs to take in air which helps separate the membranes
from the shell. Before peeling, it's important to crackle the shells until
they have a fine network of lines all over. Eggshells usually come off much
more readily, without tearing the whites, when they're in small pieces
rather than large chunks."

Dimitri

Lucian Wischik 30-10-2003 06:02 PM

Dimitri wrote:
>Before peeling, it's important to crackle the shells until
>they have a fine network of lines all over. Eggshells usually come off much
>more readily, without tearing the whites, when they're in small pieces
>rather than large chunks."

I've seen that advice repeated everywhere. I think it's completely
wrong. Egg-peeling is much easier when the shell is uncracked. That's
because a single lift with your finger removes 1/3 of the shell in a
single move. Is anyone else with me in the anti-everywhere-crackle
camp? if there are enough of us we could march on Washington.

--
Lucian

Dimitri 30-10-2003 08:12 PM

"Lucian Wischik" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
> >Before peeling, it's important to crackle the shells until
> >they have a fine network of lines all over. Eggshells usually come off

much
> >more readily, without tearing the whites, when they're in small pieces
> >rather than large chunks."

> I've seen that advice repeated everywhere. I think it's completely
> wrong. Egg-peeling is much easier when the shell is uncracked. That's
> because a single lift with your finger removes 1/3 of the shell in a
> single move. Is anyone else with me in the anti-everywhere-crackle
> camp? if there are enough of us we could march on Washington.
>
> --
> Lucian

I have always had great luck by vigorously rolling the egg around in the pot
and creating that "crackled" effect. I found it loosens the membrane from
the white and the eggs peal quite nicely and easily.

Dimitri

Arri London 31-10-2003 01:44 AM

JLove98905 wrote:

> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked. But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating one.
>
> What did i do wrong?
>
> -Jen

Crack the shells all over before putting in the cold water.
Another reason for eggs not to peel well after boiling is that they are
too fresh, but that doesn't apply to supermarket eggs anyway :(

Kenneth 31-10-2003 01:54 AM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:44:53 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>they are
>too fresh, but that doesn't apply to supermarket eggs anyway :(

Howdy,

I live in rural New Hampshire. In our larger supermarkets the volume
sold is so great that the eggs are often fresher than in the smaller
places. Not as fresh as at a farm stand, but fresh-er than small local
markets.

--
Kenneth

anna maria 31-10-2003 02:38 AM

JLove98905 wrote:
> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked. But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg :o(
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating one.
>
> What did i do wrong?
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

i was posting on another ng a way my aunt showed me loooong time ago.
after hard boiling the egg she would break the bottom of the shell, the
round part opposite to the tip, remove a little piece of shell to form a
small hole, and she would blow hard inside the hole. well... it works!
everyone to blow his own egg though.

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

JLove98905 31-10-2003 05:32 AM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

after hard boiling the egg she would break the bottom of the shell, the
round part opposite to the tip, remove a little piece of shell to form a
small hole, and she would blow hard inside the hole. well... it works!

This TOTALLY WORKS!
Thanks,

Arri London 01-11-2003 01:30 AM

Kenneth wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:44:53 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >they are
> >too fresh, but that doesn't apply to supermarket eggs anyway :(

> Howdy,
>
> I live in rural New Hampshire. In our larger supermarkets the volume
> sold is so great that the eggs are often fresher than in the smaller
> places. Not as fresh as at a farm stand, but fresh-er than small local
> markets.
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Lucky you! When I lived in New Hampshire (West Lebanon) the supermarket
eggs weren't any fresher than I could get in the New York city area.

Bigbazza 01-11-2003 10:16 AM

"ConnieG999" > wrote in message
> OSPAM (JLove98905) writes:
>
> >I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat

in
> >that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating

one.

> Sigh.
> We cover this subject every week.
> In my experience, the above works except that I crack the eggs and roll

them
> around a little in the cold water, so that the water seeps under the

shell.
> Then let them sit just a few minutes. Should peel fine, whether the eggs

are
> fresh or not.
>
> Connie

Yes..Connie...I tried this on a dozen eggs last week and it worked just fine
for me..(I mean your addendum..Cracking shells..)I always have trouble with
them and feel like chucking the lot out...I hope it works again next
try...Should do though..

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz..

rosie read and post 01-11-2003 04:37 PM

why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

the "hard boiled egg peeling" question may come up a lot, but this is
the FIRST time i have read about the cracking IN COLD WATER
technique..............
thanks connie!