Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT(?): Archway cookie factory reopens

I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway cookies. It
was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when the factory closed.
However, the factory was purchased by Lance, Inc. and has reopened. It's a
nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300 workers who were laid off (all of them)
were given prepaid debit cards for $1,500, 60 have been called back to work
at their previous salaries and with immediate health insurance, and more
jobs will follow if new orders keep flowing in.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" wrote:

> I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway cookies. �It
> was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when the factory closed.
> However, the factory was purchased by Lance, Inc. and has reopened. �It's a
> nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300 workers who were laid off (all of them)
> were given prepaid debit cards for $1,500, 60 have been called back to work
> at their previous salaries and with immediate health insurance, and more
> jobs will follow if new orders keep flowing in.http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html

Archway had a factory on Long Island, NY too.
Why is a post about cookies OT?!?!?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:01:20p, MaryL told us...

> I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway cookies.
> It was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when the factory
> closed. However, the factory was purchased by Lance, Inc. and has
> reopened. It's a nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300 workers who were
> laid off (all of them) were given prepaid debit cards for $1,500, 60
> have been called back to work at their previous salaries and with
> immediate health insurance, and more jobs will follow if new orders keep
> flowing in.
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html
>
> MaryL

That's great news! If Lance maintains the Archway line as it always has
been, I can't imagine it won't succeed. Everywhere I've ever lived, Archway
cookies have been popular.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plebe wrote:
> On Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:01:20p, MaryL told us...
>
>> I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway
>> cookies. It was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when
>> the factory closed. However, the factory was purchased by Lance,
>> Inc. and has reopened. It's a nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300
>> workers who were laid off (all of them) were given prepaid debit
>> cards for $1,500, 60 have been called back to work at their previous
>> salaries and with immediate health insurance, and more jobs will
>> follow if new orders keep flowing in.
>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> That's great news! If Lance maintains the Archway line as it always
> has been, I can't imagine it won't succeed. Everywhere I've ever
> lived, Archway cookies have been popular.

So what happened to them? I think they've been in our local stores all
along...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote:

> I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway cookies.
> �It
> was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when the factory closed.
> However, the factory was purchased by Lance, Inc. and has reopened. �It's
> nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300 workers who were laid off (all of
> them)
> were given prepaid debit cards for $1,500, 60 have been called back to
> work
> at their previous salaries and with immediate health insurance, and more
> jobs will follow if new orders keep flowing
> in.http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html

Archway had a factory on Long Island, NY too.
Why is a post about cookies OT?!?!?

Well, I put a question mark after it because the article didn't have
anything to do with cooking--but it was about food, so maybe it wasn't so
OT. ;o)

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:40:12p, Janet told us...

> Plebe wrote:
>> On Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:01:20p, MaryL told us...
>>
>>> I no longer eat cookies, but I used to like some of the Archway
>>> cookies. It was devastating to the small town of Ashland, OH when
>>> the factory closed. However, the factory was purchased by Lance,
>>> Inc. and has reopened. It's a nice "feel-good" story, too--the 300
>>> workers who were laid off (all of them) were given prepaid debit
>>> cards for $1,500, 60 have been called back to work at their previous
>>> salaries and with immediate health insurance, and more jobs will
>>> follow if new orders keep flowing in.
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/coo...ens/index.html
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> That's great news! If Lance maintains the Archway line as it always
>> has been, I can't imagine it won't succeed. Everywhere I've ever
>> lived, Archway cookies have been popular.

> So what happened to them? I think they've been in our local stores all
> along...

Archway filed for bankruptcy and closed their doors. Goods on the shelves
were probably back stock.