Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holiday cooking--what NOT to do

Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
found three CO detectors.

I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
:-(

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and found
> three CO detectors.
>
> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took a
> big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I can't
> stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
> :-(

Achoooo! Sorry to hear that, Gloria, BTDT.

I'm envious of all you folks with the rib roasts! I think we're having
tri-tip and ham. Not sure, as I'm in charge of desserts. Right now, and
this is subject to change, I'm going to make a cheesecake of some kind
(haven't decided), a pumpkin chiffon pie with a gingersnap crust, and a
regular pumpkin pie for my cousin's child who won't eat anything else
<sigh>, and probably a walnut pie (pecan pie with walnuts instead). Yeah,
there're gonna be a lot of us at Christmas, totally the opposite of our
Thanksgiving get-together!!

TammyM, finishing making the Christmas prezzies tonight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote in news:6rakpuFbfshU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
> found three CO detectors.
>
> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
>:-(
>
> gloria p

Ouch!!

At least you didn't just sprinkle it on and find out in the tasting later!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
> found three CO detectors.
>
> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
> :-(
>
> gloria p

Never sniff deeply! <lol>

I feel for ya.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Peter-Lucas" > wrote:

> Gloria P > wrote in news:6rakpuFbfshU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>

> > Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
> > roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
> > found three CO detectors.
> >
> > I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> > ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
> > a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> > can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
> >:-(
> >
> > gloria p

> Ouch!!
>

> At least you didn't just sprinkle it on and find out in the tasting later!!

I don't understand why it's not LABELED!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Peter-Lucas" > wrote:
>
>> Gloria P > wrote in news:6rakpuFbfshU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>

>>> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
>>> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
>>> found three CO detectors.
>>>
>>> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
>>> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
>>> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
>>> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
>>> :-(
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Ouch!!
>>

>> At least you didn't just sprinkle it on and find out in the tasting later!!

> I don't understand why it's not LABELED!

It IS labeled. My recipe called for a quantity of sugar, salt, cinnamon
and just a dash of cayenne. When I had everything on the counter, I
grabbed the jar of cayenne and sniffed without looking because it is the
same size and shape as the cinnamon. My bad.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article > ,
> > "Peter-Lucas" > wrote:
> >
> >> Gloria P > wrote in news:6rakpuFbfshU1
> >> @mid.individual.net:

> >> Ouch!!
> >>

> >> At least you didn't just sprinkle it on and find out in the tasting later!!

> > I don't understand why it's not LABELED!

> It IS labeled. My recipe called for a quantity of sugar, salt, cinnamon
> and just a dash of cayenne. When I had everything on the counter, I
> grabbed the jar of cayenne and sniffed without looking because it is the
> same size and shape as the cinnamon. My bad.
>
> gloria p

Oops. ok. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:05:35 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
>roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
>found three CO detectors.

Portable CO detectors? What brand did you end up with?

>I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
>ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
>a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
>can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!

Must have been really fresh cayenne.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:05:35 -0700, Gloria P >
> wrote:
>

>> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
>> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
>> found three CO detectors.

> Portable CO detectors? What brand did you end up with?

Not portable. Honeywell, IIRC. (They are still int he trunk of the car.)

>> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
>> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
>> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
>> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!

> Must have been really fresh cayenne.

Penzey's!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 5:05*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. *I bought a ginormous rib
> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
> found three CO detectors.
>
> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. *Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
> a big sniff. *Dang! *It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. *That's painful!
> :-(
>
> gloria p

Are you feeling any better yet, Gloria?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and
> took
> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
> :-(

You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was putting a
chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly felt itchy,
so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake. I felt so
stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it again soon.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article > ,
> "Peter-Lucas" > wrote:
>
>> Gloria P > wrote in news:6rakpuFbfshU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>

>> > Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous
>> > rib roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping,
>> > and found three CO detectors.
>> >
>> > I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all
>> > the ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon
>> > and took a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was
>> > cayenne and now I can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's
>> > painful!
>> >:-(
>> >
>> > gloria p

>> Ouch!!
>>

>> At least you didn't just sprinkle it on and find out in the tasting
>> later!!

> I don't understand why it's not LABELED!

It wouldn't have mattered, if Gloria hadn't sniffed it first, she would
have had *really* spiced pecans :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Gloria P wrote:
>

>> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
>> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and
>> took
>> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
>> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
>> :-(
>>

> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
> your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
> washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was putting a
> chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly felt itchy,
> so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake. I felt so
> stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it again soon.

Dames!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
>

> > I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> > ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and
> > took
> > a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> > can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
> > :-(
> >

> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
> your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
> washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was putting a
> chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly felt itchy,
> so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake. I felt so
> stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it again soon.

Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.

I like it. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
> handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
> onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
>
> I like it. ;-)

I never use hot chili type stuff, but I do wear disposable gloves when
working with meat; especially cooked meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Even though it was cold, I had a great day. I bought a ginormous rib
> roast for Christmas dinner, finished some last minute shopping, and
> found three CO detectors.
>
> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and took
> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!

Darn those pepper products. I have done worse. Years ago when I went
out for beer and pizza when I was first old enough to drink legally, I
was toying with a shaker full of dried chili flakes. I didn't know about
chilis back then. I spilt some and pushed the flakes into a pile with my
fingers. I had been working in a dirty dusty alloy furnace room and my
eyes were gritty, so I rubbed one eye. All of a sudden it was on fire. I
ran to the washroom and rinsed my eye with cold water for a few minutes
to flush the heat away. I returned to the table and someone asked me
what had happened, so I explained about cleaning up the chilies and then
accidentally demonstrated how i rubbed my eye. I guess I hadn't washed
my hands well enough because as soon as I touched my eye the burning
started all over again and I had to run to the washroom and wash it again.

I have not repeated that mistake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s)
>> when your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder
>> without washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was
>> putting a chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly
>> felt itchy, so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake.
>> I felt so stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it
>> again soon.

> Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
> handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
> onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
>
> I like it. ;-)

Ahem. Even if I had been wearing disposable gloves I probably wouldn't
have taken them off. I was busy putting the rub on the chicken, then my
eye began to itch... 'Nuff said. ;-)

But talking about those gloves - never liked them. I feel clumsy in them
(no matter how snugly they fit). But I don't have a problem handling
any of the stuff you listed - I just usually wash my hands as and when
it's necessary. (Note I said 'usually').
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> I got home and decided to roast some spiced pecans. Got out all the
>> ingredients and spices, and opened what I thought was cinnamon and
>> took
>> a big sniff. Dang! It wasn't the cinnamon, it was cayenne and now I
>> can't stop sneezing and sniffling. That's painful!
>> :-(
>>

> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
> your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
> washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was putting a
> chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly felt itchy,
> so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake. I felt so
> stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it again soon.

I wonder if it would have helped to have rinsed with milk?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:20:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>>> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s)
>>> when your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder
>>> without washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was
>>> putting a chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly
>>> felt itchy, so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake.
>>> I felt so stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it
>>> again soon.

>> Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
>> handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
>> onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
>>
>> I like it. ;-)

> Ahem. Even if I had been wearing disposable gloves I probably wouldn't
> have taken them off. I was busy putting the rub on the chicken, then my
> eye began to itch... 'Nuff said. ;-)
>
> But talking about those gloves - never liked them. I feel clumsy in them
> (no matter how snugly they fit). But I don't have a problem handling
> any of the stuff you listed - I just usually wash my hands as and when
> it's necessary. (Note I said 'usually').

i think mixing, say, ground beef with an egg for meat loaf with your bare
hands is kinda fun. it's not like you're miles from a sink to wash your
hands in.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i think mixing, say, ground beef with an egg for meat loaf with your bare
> hands is kinda fun. it's not like you're miles from a sink to wash your
> hands in.
>
> your pal,
> blake

My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the neatest
feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet anyplace and
it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i think mixing, say, ground beef with an egg for meat loaf with your bare
>> hands is kinda fun. it's not like you're miles from a sink to wash your
>> hands in.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the neatest
> feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet anyplace and
> it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!

That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn
it on, either intentionally or inadvertently.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>> My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the neatest
>> feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet anyplace and
>> it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!

> That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it on,
> either intentionally or inadvertently.

There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>>> My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the
>>> neatest feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet
>>> anyplace and it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!

>> That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it
>> on, either intentionally or inadvertently.
>>

> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.

Goos to hear there is such a switch. Of course, one can delude
oneself into thinking cats don't go various places, but they are
pretty sneaky.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote:

>You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
>your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
>washing the aforementioned hands...

I would go further, and say that even with lots of hand-washing
you might want to avoid touching your eyes for some interval of time
(say 12 hours) after handling hot chilis.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 23 Dec 2008 09:28:07a, Goomba told us...

> Jean B. wrote:
>
>>> My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the neatest
>>> feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet anyplace and
>>> it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!

>> That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it on,
>> either intentionally or inadvertently.
>>

> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.

Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will do what
they please when you're not there to prevent it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 23 Dec 2008 11:35:33a, Steve Pope told us...

> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>>You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s) when
>>your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder without
>>washing the aforementioned hands...

> I would go further, and say that even with lots of hand-washing
> you might want to avoid touching your eyes for some interval of time
> (say 12 hours) after handling hot chilis.
>
> Steve

Since I have a skin allergy to the oils in the chilis, I use surgical gloves
when handling them. Of course, if I have to scratch an itch, the glove(s)
have to come off first. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plebe wrote:

>>> That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it on,
>>> either intentionally or inadvertently.
>>>

>> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
>> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.
>>

> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will do what
> they please when you're not there to prevent it.

Right. They learn quickly to do such things when one isn't
looking. I thought the cats never did any such thing--until there
was telltale evidence to the contrary.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
> > handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
> > onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
> >
> > I like it. ;-)

> I never use hot chili type stuff, but I do wear disposable gloves when
> working with meat; especially cooked meat.

Handy aren't they?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ChattyCathy > wrote:

> >> You have my sympathy. Another what NOT to do: Never rub your eye(s)
> >> when your hands have been anywhere near chilies and/or chili powder
> >> without washing the aforementioned hands... Did that recently - was
> >> putting a chili/garlic/whatever rub on a chicken when my eye suddenly
> >> felt itchy, so I rubbed that too. Just wasn't thinking. Huge Mistake.
> >> I felt so stupid as well as damn sore; don't imagine I'll be doing it
> >> again soon.

> > Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
> > handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
> > onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
> >
> > I like it. ;-)

> Ahem. Even if I had been wearing disposable gloves I probably wouldn't
> have taken them off. I was busy putting the rub on the chicken, then my
> eye began to itch... 'Nuff said. ;-)
>
> But talking about those gloves - never liked them. I feel clumsy in them
> (no matter how snugly they fit). But I don't have a problem handling
> any of the stuff you listed - I just usually wash my hands as and when
> it's necessary. (Note I said 'usually').

I understand...

I'm supposed to wear them at work to handle blood tubes.

I don't. Makes me feel clumsy.

I am careful at work and simply don't get "stuff" on my hands! If I
did, I'd just go immediately to the nearest sink and wash well.

With chopping or mixing food, it's different. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:20:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> Some people I know (including myself) now wear disposable gloves when
> >> handling chiles. I've also started wearing them when working with
> >> onions, garlic and cutting up poultry, or mixing ground meat.
> >>
> >> I like it. ;-)

> > Ahem. Even if I had been wearing disposable gloves I probably wouldn't
> > have taken them off. I was busy putting the rub on the chicken, then my
> > eye began to itch... 'Nuff said. ;-)
> >
> > But talking about those gloves - never liked them. I feel clumsy in them
> > (no matter how snugly they fit). But I don't have a problem handling
> > any of the stuff you listed - I just usually wash my hands as and when
> > it's necessary. (Note I said 'usually').

> i think mixing, say, ground beef with an egg for meat loaf with your bare
> hands is kinda fun. it's not like you're miles from a sink to wash your
> hands in.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It's the GREASE!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>
> >> My daughter just moved into a newly built house and it has the neatest
> >> feature to the sink. You just have to tap the long faucet anyplace and
> >> it turns on and off. Very handy for those messy times!

> > That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it on,
> > either intentionally or inadvertently.
> >

> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.

<lol> Mine are trained to stay off the counters... unless someone is not
looking. ;-)

Seriously tho', the "upside down mousetrap" training really did teach
MOST of them to stay off the counters and stove. There is the
occasional disobedient one, then comes the squirt gun training!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:44:11 GMT, Plebe wrote:

>>> That sounds neat--but it then occurred to me that cats could turn it on,
>>> either intentionally or inadvertently.
>>>

>> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
>> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.
>>

> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will do what
> they please when you're not there to prevent it.

check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.

your pal,
steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 24 Dec 2008 02:11:40p, blake murphy told us...

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:44:11 GMT, Plebe wrote:

>>> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
>>> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.
>>>

>> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will
>> do what they please when you're not there to prevent it.

> check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.
>
> your pal,
> steve

Years ago I had a little black cat that would steal and hide any paper
money she could find. I would come across it in the strangest places, but
thank God not buried in the litterbox. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas Eve
Countdown till Christmas Day
9hrs 28mins
Cats must lick mom's eyes while she is trying to sleep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:11:40 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:44:11 GMT, Plebe wrote:
>
>> On Tue 23 Dec 2008 09:28:07a, Goomba told us...
>>
>>> There is a master switch to turn the feature on and off, and IMO, cats
>>> don't belong on kitchen counters. Ugh.
>>>

>> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will do what
>> they please when you're not there to prevent it.

>check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.

A mouse trap hidden under newspaper will do the trick of training cats
to stay off the counters when you're not in the room.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 03:03:32p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:11:40 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:44:11 GMT, Plebe wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue 23 Dec 2008 09:28:07a, Goomba told us...

>>> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will
>>> do what they please when you're not there to prevent it.

>>check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.
>>

> A mouse trap hidden under newspaper will do the trick of training cats
> to stay off the counters when you're not in the room.

In general I would agree, but Popie will play with mousetraps if given the
chance. We've never had mice, but I bought 3 traps for just this purpose.
One time she caught her tail in it, as she had removed the newspaper to
reveal the trap. She got the trap off her tail by herself. <g> Now,
she'll set them off on purpose, carry one off and play with it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 8hrs 35mins
No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in Outer Space.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:11:40 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:44:11 GMT, Plebe wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue 23 Dec 2008 09:28:07a, Goomba told us...

> >> Unless you put them in a cage or lock them in another room, cats will do
> >> what
> >> they please when you're not there to prevent it.

> >check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.
> >

> A mouse trap hidden under newspaper will do the trick of training cats
> to stay off the counters when you're not in the room.

I've used upside down mousetraps for teaching them to stay off the
kitchen counter.

It works. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 25 Dec 2008 03:03:32p, sf told us...
>
> > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:11:40 GMT, blake murphy
> > > wrote:

> >>check your bank accounts. some of them forge checks.
> >>

> > A mouse trap hidden under newspaper will do the trick of training cats
> > to stay off the counters when you're not in the room.
> >

> In general I would agree, but Popie will play with mousetraps if given the
> chance. We've never had mice, but I bought 3 traps for just this purpose.
> One time she caught her tail in it, as she had removed the newspaper to
> reveal the trap. She got the trap off her tail by herself. <g> Now,
> she'll set them off on purpose, carry one off and play with it.

Popie has very special personality. :-)