Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Northern Germany Bonfire Foods

A number of years ago I came across an article about how bonfires are
built on an Island off the coast of Northern Germany on the Baltic
Sea, at least that is how I remember it. Apparently they build the
fires near the end of winter. I was wondering if anyone remembers what
this is called? Also, there were a number of receipes for foods they
usually made. I think one had to do with cabbage and mashed potatoes.
It seems as if in the area where I live (Pittsburgh,PA) a number of
towns around here are having bonfires in January to burn old Christmas
trees, and they are making a party out of it. I was thinking they were
basing it on the activities in Germany.

Thanks for any help.
Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> A number of years ago I came across an article about how bonfires are
> built on an Island off the coast of Northern Germany on the Baltic
> Sea, at least that is how I remember it. Apparently they build the
> fires near the end of winter. I was wondering if anyone remembers what
> this is called? Also, there were a number of receipes for foods they
> usually made. I think one had to do with cabbage and mashed potatoes.
> It seems as if in the area where I live (Pittsburgh,PA) a number of
> towns around here are having bonfires in January to burn old Christmas
> trees, and they are making a party out of it. I was thinking they were
> basing it on the activities in Germany.

You may be thinking of the traditional Biikebrennen, "biike burning".
This bonfire festival is held on 21st February, St. Peter's Day, in
Northern Friesland, particularly on the islands of Sylt, Amrum and Föhr
on the North Sea, but on the mainland, too. "Biike" means "fire sign"
or "beacon" in Frisian. It is said that 2000 years ago, the fires were
built as a sacrifice to god Wotan, to get him to end the winter, and,
after the conversion to Christianity, as a farewell greeting for whalers
going out to sea. Now it is supposed to be a symbolic end-of-winter
celebration.

The traditional meal is Grünkohlessen (kale dinner). Kale is often
served with meat, such as Speck, Kassler (cured and lightly-smoked
pork), sausages (such as Pinkel, a North German sausage containing oat
groats), and roast or boiled potatoes. Here is a typical recipe:

Grünkohl
Kale

serves 6-8

2 kg (4.4 pounds) fresh curly kale
1 large onion
3 tablespoons goose schmalz or lard
500 ml (2 cups) beef stock or broth
salt, pepper, mustard, to taste
6 allspice berries
meat and/or sausages as desired, e.g. , Kassler, Speck from the belly,
Mettwurst, Kohlwurst, Pinkel

1. Trim kale of tough stems and centre ribs and tear in small pieces.
Rinse thorougly, changing the water several times.

2. Bring water to the boil in a large pot, put in the kale and bring to
the boil again. Drain in a sieve, pressing the water out and chop
fairly finely.

3. Cut the onion in small cubes. Heat the goose or pork schmalz in a
pan and fry the onions and kale over low-medium heat until they take up
some colour. Add the stock or broth and season with salt, pepper,
mustard, and allspice.

4. Add the meat and the sausages and cook over low heat for about 50
minutes.

Serve with roasted or boiled potatoes and mustard.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 6:45*am, " >
wrote:
> A number of years ago I came across an article about how bonfires are
> built on an Island off the coast of Northern Germany on the Baltic
> Sea, at least *that is how I remember it. Apparently they build the
> fires near the end of winter. I was wondering if anyone remembers what
> this is called? Also, there were a number of receipes for foods they
> usually made. I think one had to do with cabbage and mashed potatoes.
> It seems as if in the area where I live (Pittsburgh,PA) a number of
> towns around here are having bonfires in January to burn old Christmas
> trees, and they are making a party out of it. I was thinking they were
> basing it on the activities in Germany.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Tom

Cabbage and potatoes? Isn't that the Brit dish called "bubble and
squeak?" They have Guy Fawkes Day (November 5), when there are
bonfires. Yeah, I know, wrong country, wrong date....;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 2:06*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Dec 22, 6:45*am, " >
> wrote:
>
> > A number of years ago I came across an article about how bonfires are
> > built on an Island off the coast of Northern Germany on the Baltic
> > Sea, at least *that is how I remember it. Apparently they build the
> > fires near the end of winter. I was wondering if anyone remembers what
> > this is called? Also, there were a number of receipes for foods they
> > usually made. I think one had to do with cabbage and mashed potatoes.
> > It seems as if in the area where I live (Pittsburgh,PA) a number of
> > towns around here are having bonfires in January to burn old Christmas
> > trees, and they are making a party out of it. I was thinking they were
> > basing it on the activities in Germany.

> > Thanks for any help.
> > Tom

> Cabbage and potatoes? *Isn't that the Brit dish called "bubble and
> squeak?" *They have Guy Fawkes Day (November 5), when there are
> bonfires. *Yeah, I know, wrong country, wrong date....;-)
>
> N.

===============================
Cabbage and mashed potatoes is Irish. They call it Colcannon,
Bubble and squeak is from England and is made of leftover vegetables
from a roast pork or beef dinner.
There is also a dish from Scotland called Rumbledethumps although I
have never eaten that one.

Lynn in Fargo
heir to many foods British . . . sigh
PS: Guy Fawkes day is my birthday. I turned 60 . . . another sigh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2:06*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > On Dec 22, 6:45*am, " >
> > wrote:

> > > this is called? Also, there were a number of receipes for foods they
> > > usually made. I think one had to do with cabbage and mashed potatoes.

> > Cabbage and potatoes? *Isn't that the Brit dish called "bubble and
> > squeak?" *They have Guy Fawkes Day (November 5), when there are
> > bonfires. *Yeah, I know, wrong country, wrong date....;-)

> Cabbage and mashed potatoes is Irish. They call it Colcannon,
> Bubble and squeak is from England and is made of leftover vegetables
> from a roast pork or beef dinner.

I looked them up:

Dictionary

bubble and squeak
noun Brit.
cooked cabbage fried with cooked potatoes and often meat.
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from the sounds of the mixture cooking.

Dictionary

colcannon
noun
an Irish and Scottish dish of cabbage and potatoes boiled and pounded.
ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from cole ; the origin of the second element is
uncertain but it is said that cannonballs were used to pound such
vegetables as spinach.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:42:33 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>I looked them up:
>
>Dictionary
>
>bubble and squeak
>noun Brit.
>cooked cabbage fried with cooked potatoes and often meat.
>ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from the sounds of the mixture cooking.

I have used the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) recipe from the git-go.
It may not be authentic, but it's very tasty.

BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
recipe copied from cooks.com with comments from me

3 lg. boiled unpeeled potatoes
4 c. cabbage, chopped and blanched
1 sm. onion, peeled and chopped
1 sm. zucchini, grated
4 slices bacon, diced and browned
Bacon drippings
1/4 c. diced ham
Salt and pepper to taste

Smash (smash not mash) the potatoes with the heel of your hand (I do
what he did on TV, just put half a potato in the palm of your hand and
squish it with your fingers). They should be chunky. Mix in rest of
ingredients except for bacon drippings. Heat skillet with the bacon
drippings and press the potato mixture into the skillet. Brown over
medium low heat until golden brown on the bottom, 25-30 minutes.
Invert on plate and serve.

I didn't bother adding ham after the first few times I made Bubble &
Squeak. It was fine without extra meat and it was my DDs favorite
meal.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 09:51:18p, sf told us...

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:42:33 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>I looked them up:
>>
>>Dictionary
>>
>>bubble and squeak
>>noun Brit.
>>cooked cabbage fried with cooked potatoes and often meat.
>>ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from the sounds of the mixture cooking.

> I have used the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) recipe from the git-go.
> It may not be authentic, but it's very tasty.
>
> BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
> recipe copied from cooks.com with comments from me
>
> 3 lg. boiled unpeeled potatoes
> 4 c. cabbage, chopped and blanched
> 1 sm. onion, peeled and chopped
> 1 sm. zucchini, grated
> 4 slices bacon, diced and browned
> Bacon drippings
> 1/4 c. diced ham
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> Smash (smash not mash) the potatoes with the heel of your hand (I do
> what he did on TV, just put half a potato in the palm of your hand and
> squish it with your fingers). They should be chunky. Mix in rest of
> ingredients except for bacon drippings. Heat skillet with the bacon
> drippings and press the potato mixture into the skillet. Brown over
> medium low heat until golden brown on the bottom, 25-30 minutes.
> Invert on plate and serve.
>
> I didn't bother adding ham after the first few times I made Bubble &
> Squeak. It was fine without extra meat and it was my DDs favorite
> meal.

I would have also lost the zucchini. Not at all authentic to the original
British dish, plus I don't like them. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 05:42:24 GMT, Plebe > wrote:

>On Mon 22 Dec 2008 09:51:18p, sf told us...
>
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:42:33 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>>I looked them up:
>>>
>>>Dictionary
>>>
>>>bubble and squeak
>>>noun Brit.
>>>cooked cabbage fried with cooked potatoes and often meat.
>>>ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from the sounds of the mixture cooking.

>> I have used the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) recipe from the git-go.
>> It may not be authentic, but it's very tasty.
>>
>> BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
>> recipe copied from cooks.com with comments from me
>>
>> 3 lg. boiled unpeeled potatoes
>> 4 c. cabbage, chopped and blanched
>> 1 sm. onion, peeled and chopped
>> 1 sm. zucchini, grated
>> 4 slices bacon, diced and browned
>> Bacon drippings
>> 1/4 c. diced ham
>> Salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Smash (smash not mash) the potatoes with the heel of your hand (I do
>> what he did on TV, just put half a potato in the palm of your hand and
>> squish it with your fingers). They should be chunky. Mix in rest of
>> ingredients except for bacon drippings. Heat skillet with the bacon
>> drippings and press the potato mixture into the skillet. Brown over
>> medium low heat until golden brown on the bottom, 25-30 minutes.
>> Invert on plate and serve.
>>
>> I didn't bother adding ham after the first few times I made Bubble &
>> Squeak. It was fine without extra meat and it was my DDs favorite
>> meal.
>>

>I would have also lost the zucchini. Not at all authentic to the original
>British dish, plus I don't like them. :-)

I *didn't* lose the zucchini (not authentic, but not bad either) - I
lost the ham. It was unnecessary after the bacon.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 11:03:28p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 05:42:24 GMT, Plebe > wrote:

>>> I have used the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) recipe from the git-go.
>>> It may not be authentic, but it's very tasty.
>>>
>>> BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
>>> recipe copied from cooks.com with comments from me
>>>
>>> 3 lg. boiled unpeeled potatoes
>>> 4 c. cabbage, chopped and blanched
>>> 1 sm. onion, peeled and chopped
>>> 1 sm. zucchini, grated
>>> 4 slices bacon, diced and browned
>>> Bacon drippings
>>> 1/4 c. diced ham
>>> Salt and pepper to taste
>>>
>>> Smash (smash not mash) the potatoes with the heel of your hand (I do
>>> what he did on TV, just put half a potato in the palm of your hand and
>>> squish it with your fingers). They should be chunky. Mix in rest of
>>> ingredients except for bacon drippings. Heat skillet with the bacon
>>> drippings and press the potato mixture into the skillet. Brown over
>>> medium low heat until golden brown on the bottom, 25-30 minutes.
>>> Invert on plate and serve.
>>>
>>> I didn't bother adding ham after the first few times I made Bubble &
>>> Squeak. It was fine without extra meat and it was my DDs favorite
>>> meal.
>>>

>>I would have also lost the zucchini. Not at all authentic to the

original
>>British dish, plus I don't like them. :-)
>>

> I *didn't* lose the zucchini (not authentic, but not bad either) - I
> lost the ham. It was unnecessary after the bacon.

I agree with losing the ham. Not necessary with the bacon, also not common
in that dish.