Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec: Oven "fried" potato pancakes

FERRANTE wrote:
> These look really goo!
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247

They sure do. I love latkes. I should make them some time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:494bf085
:

> FERRANTE wrote:
>> These look really goo!
>>
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247

> They sure do. I love latkes. I should make them some time.

After looking at that, I'm thinking *tonight*!!

Now that part of the menu is sorted, I need to think of what will go with
them!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> These look really goo!
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247
>
> Mark

The thing about latkes is that they are fried in oil. The holiday of
Chanukah celebrates the miracle of the single vial of oil that was
supposed to only last for one day, lasting 8 days - long enough to
produce more of the special oil.

Oil (frying) is the tradition for European Jews, but Sephardim, or
Eastern Jews make a kind of jelly donut as their tradition.

I'll eat less latkes if I'm worried about fat, but I won't bake them. FEH!

BTW, I fry them in peanut oil. Tastes the best.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

These look really goo!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:42:48 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I'll eat less latkes if I'm worried about fat, but I won't bake them. FEH!

Oven fried potatoes ("french fries) are good. I bet oven fried latkes
are good too.

>BTW, I fry them in peanut oil. Tastes the best.

Always!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec: ping JANET

It sounds like you KNOW from Latkes!

Would you mind giving this shicka a step by step?

I had the extreme pleasure of working for an Orthodox Jewish doctor in
NY and one day he brought in some his wife had made. I have never had
them THAT good, since.

MUCH appreciated.

Lass

Rec: Oven "fried" potato pancakes

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2008, 5:42pm (EST-1) From:
(Janet*Wilder)
FERRANTE wrote:
These look really goo!
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247
Mark
The thing about latkes is that they are fried in oil. The holiday of
Chanukah celebrates the miracle of the single vial of oil that was
supposed to only last for one day, lasting 8 days - long enough to
produce more of the special oil.
Oil (frying) is the tradition for European Jews, but Sephardim, or
Eastern Jews make a kind of jelly donut as their tradition.
I'll eat less latkes if I'm worried about fat, but I won't bake them.
FEH!
BTW, I fry them in peanut oil. Tastes the best.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:42:48 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

> FERRANTE wrote:
>> These look really goo!
>>
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247
>>
>> Mark

> The thing about latkes is that they are fried in oil. The holiday of
> Chanukah celebrates the miracle of the single vial of oil that was
> supposed to only last for one day, lasting 8 days - long enough to
> produce more of the special oil.
>
> Oil (frying) is the tradition for European Jews, but Sephardim, or
> Eastern Jews make a kind of jelly donut as their tradition.
>
> I'll eat less latkes if I'm worried about fat, but I won't bake them. FEH!
>
> BTW, I fry them in peanut oil. Tastes the best.

i suppose lard is out.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> It sounds like you KNOW from Latkes!
>
> Would you mind giving this shicka a step by step?

You could grate the potatoes by hand on the medium holes of a box grater
or a mesh grater, but I find that pulsing the shredded potato works just
fine and I lose less skin from my knuckles.

BTW that's Shiksa. Shicka means a drunk. :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Latkes

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Vegetables

3 lb baking potatoes
1 large yellow onion
2 eggs
1/2 c matzo meal (approx)
salt and pepper to taste
peanut oil

1)Peel potatoes, placing each one into a large bowl of cold water.
2)Slice each potato in half, length-wise.
3)In a food processor with shredder disk inserted, shred potatoes in
batches until all are finished.
4)As each batch is complete, place in a bowl of cold water to prevent
discoloration.
5)Cut onion into eight pieces.
6)Place metal blade in processor. Put a piece of onion in and pulse
until chopped.
7)Squeeze two handfuls of potato shreds dry and place in processor
bowl. Pulse three or four times until it looks like fine shreds. Empty
into a bowl and repeat until all shreds are chopped.
8)Stir in eggs and enough matzo meal to absorb excess liquid. Season
with salt and pepper to taste.
9)Let mixture sit for at least 30 minutes. Stir and add more matzo meal
if necessary. Mixture should be a little stiff.

Heat one inch of peanut oil in a large skillet to about 375 degrees.
Drop large spoons full of potato mixture into hot oil. Fry until golden
brown, turning once after four minutes. Makes a lot.

NOTES : Serve with applesauce and sour cream. I use an electric skillet
as I've found that it keeps the oil at a perfect frying temperature.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote:
> These look really goo!
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...isplay?RID=247

They probably are good, but no way are those latkes, they don't even
look like latkes... those are F'd up hash browns.

Latkes are made from finely grated spuds, never shredded. The
grated spuds are drained in a fine sieve, never squeezed... then the
grated onion is added. I process my potatoes with my meat grinder,
texture produced is perfect/uniform... after draining grind in the
onion too... no need to buy matzo meal, grind matzo too.... matzo
meal, never flour. Then eggs and s n' p, Always use at least five
pounds of spuds, less is hardly worth the trouble, and will hardly
fill a cavity. Latkes are traditionally fried in sunflower oil but
any mild/light vegetable oil will do except for olive oil. It's not
possible to make latkes with a food processor, no way, no how.