Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dining out and Finding a Holiday Party in Progress

What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger said...

> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?
>
> The Ranger

Heck, Ranger,

We chit chat out loud across the room during breakfast at the local diner!!!

Best,

Andy
Doesn't know lunch or dinner protocol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?
>
> The Ranger

It depends. I'd ask the manager if they were mostly through in the
kitchen (so I wouldn't have to wait int he queue for hours for food)
and how much the party was affecting the kitchen/servers.

If I loved the restaurant and the news wasn't tool bad, I'd stay.
If it looked like an unAlexly wait, I'd tell the manager "Thanks for
being honest, I'll be back soon." and I'd try somewhere else.

What did you do?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?
>
> The Ranger

I'd go probably. If they didn't want customers, they'd close for a
"Private Party."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
>> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
>> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
>> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
>> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
>> was almost done and not too far into their liquor
>> consumption?
>>

> It depends. I'd ask the manager if they were mostly through
> in the kitchen (so I wouldn't have to wait int he queue for
> hours for food)
> and how much the party was affecting the kitchen/servers.
>
> If I loved the restaurant and the news wasn't tool bad, I'd
> stay.
> If it looked like an unAlexly wait, I'd tell the manager
> "Thanks for being honest, I'll be back soon." and I'd try
> somewhere else.
>
> What did you do?

The only time -- we went in. It was our second night out away
from infants and, IMNHO, WAY overdue. There was a group seated
along a significant portion of the 2nd tier of the restaurant,
overlooking square pit where the main dining area was being
served. As I talked to the hostess, I started getting annoyed
because I could feel the noise but we were there so we'd make
the best of it.

It was a lousy meal from beginning to end: The servers were
tested and teased at ever point during the group's meal,
customers were heckled, our food arrived cold because it'd been
queued up waiting for our server to get in to serve it, and the
never-ending noise from the group cascaded down into the pit at
OMFGLoud. SWMBO _still_ reminds me about the experience and it
happened 14 years ago.

Nowadays, I'll simply point out that we'll be back and find
another place that will provide us what we wish.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?

I would leave. I would do the same if I went to any restaurant and
there was any type of large group there. Large groups make way to much
noise. It's not like having a restaurant full of people at tables
enjoying their meals and having quiet conversations. Instead, you have
one large mass trying to talk over its own noise.

When I was in Denmark last summer we went into a nice little
restaurant for an early dinner. It was almost empty but we had to sit
in one corner because they were expecting a group of 75. The waitress
warned us that it might get a little crowded and noisy but that we had
time to eat before they were due. We were almost finished by the time
the group arrived. It went from a nice quiet setting to a loud,
boisterous party and they kept the staff so busy that we had a hard time
getting our bil and getting out of there. Luckily, we had a wonderful
meal before it got rowdy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote in message
[snip]
> I'd go probably. If they didn't want customers, they'd
> close for a "Private Party."

Devil's Advocate: How would you feel if it affected your
conversation during the meal?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news
> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one that you
> visited often enough that the managers and servers knew you by name, and
> saw a holiday party in progress? Would you turn about and find a different
> place? Or would you tuck your head between your shoulders in the hopes
> that the group was almost done and not too far into their liquor
> consumption?
>
> The Ranger

Sorry, I don't understand the problem?

Are you not still a customer? Act like one.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> news
>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
>> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
>> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
>> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
>> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
>> was almost done and not too far into their liquor
>> consumption?
>>

> Sorry, I don't understand the problem?

Would you still dine at the restaurant or try and find another
that wasn't hosting a party.

> Are you not still a customer? Act like one.

"Act like one" what?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> Dimitri > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one that you
>>> visited often enough that the managers and servers knew you by name, and
>>> saw a holiday party in progress? Would you turn about and find a
>>> different place? Or would you tuck your head between your shoulders in
>>> the hopes that the group was almost done and not too far into their
>>> liquor consumption?
>>>

>> Sorry, I don't understand the problem?

> Would you still dine at the restaurant or try and find another that wasn't
> hosting a party.

Why not dine there - If they did not want their party interrupted by
customers they should have closed the doors for the duration of the party.

>> Are you not still a customer? Act like one.

> "Act like one" what?

Customer. Remember you are contributing to their income DIRECTLY.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ndwidth...
>> Dimitri > wrote in message
>>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant,
>>>>
>>> Sorry, I don't understand the problem?

>> Would you still dine at the restaurant or try and find
>> another that wasn't hosting a party.

> Why not dine there - If they did not want their party
> interrupted by customers they should have closed the doors
> for the duration of the party.

Not necessarily. As I noted to Ravenlynn, I've only been to one
restaurant that "closed" to the public because of a holiday
party. EVERY other restaurant tries to serve both private
parties and John Q. Public, regardless of the size of the
event.

>>> Are you not still a customer? Act like one.

>> "Act like one" what?

> Customer. Remember you are contributing to their
> income DIRECTLY.

Your line of reasoning is a non sequitor at best and a red
herring at worse.

Are you saying vote with your wallet or conscience?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?
>
> The Ranger

We tried to go to a favorite cafe last Friday and the place was closed
for a private party. At least your situation gives you an alternative.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> Dimitri > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> ndwidth...

>>> Would you still dine at the restaurant or try and find another that
>>> wasn't hosting a party.

>> Why not dine there - If they did not want their party interrupted by
>> customers they should have closed the doors for the duration of the
>> party.

> Not necessarily. As I noted to Ravenlynn, I've only been to one restaurant
> that "closed" to the public because of a holiday party. EVERY other
> restaurant tries to serve both private parties and John Q. Public,
> regardless of the size of the event.

>>> "Act like one" what?

>> Customer. Remember you are contributing to their
>> income DIRECTLY.

> Your line of reasoning is a non sequitor at best and a red herring at
> worse.
>
> Are you saying vote with your wallet or conscience?
>
> The Ranger

You're finding a gazillion reasons to justify your position. If you not
comfortable don't go.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one that you
>> visited often enough that the managers and servers knew you by name, and
>> saw a holiday party in progress? Would you turn about and find a
>> different place? Or would you tuck your head between your shoulders in
>> the hopes that the group was almost done and not too far into their
>> liquor consumption?

> I would leave. I would do the same if I went to any restaurant and there
> was any type of large group there. Large groups make way to much noise.
> It's not like having a restaurant full of people at tables enjoying their
> meals and having quiet conversations. Instead, you have one large mass
> trying to talk over its own noise.
>
> When I was in Denmark last summer we went into a nice little restaurant
> for an early dinner. It was almost empty but we had to sit in one corner
> because they were expecting a group of 75. The waitress warned us that it
> might get a little crowded and noisy but that we had time to eat before
> they were due. We were almost finished by the time the group arrived. It
> went from a nice quiet setting to a loud, boisterous party and they kept
> the staff so busy that we had a hard time getting our bil and getting out
> of there. Luckily, we had a wonderful meal before it got rowdy.

I agree. If it was a private party they'd have closed the doors. But I
don't like large boisterous groups of people dining together either. They
monopolize the wait staff (even if there are a couple of servers dedicated
strictly to taking care of them). And food tends to back up in the kitchen.
You're lucky you got to eat before that crowd arrived. People who get there
afterwards usually wind up waiting.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article dth>,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?
>
> The Ranger

I don't understand why being a customer would be problematic. Was it
the staff that was partying? You 'afeared that the cook would be blotto
and in no condition to prepare food? Heck, I'd have a table and expect
service as usual.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article dth>,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> ravenlynne > wrote in message
> [snip]
> > I'd go probably. If they didn't want customers, they'd
> > close for a "Private Party."

> Devil's Advocate: How would you feel if it affected your
> conversation during the meal?
>
> The Ranger

I'd introduce myself to a couple of the partygoers and join in the fun.
'-)
I hadn't thought about noise being an issue. I'd probably go elsewhere
instead of staying.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
"I have fixed my roof, I have mended my fences;
now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote:

>The Ranger wrote:

>> What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
>> that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
>> knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
>> you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
>> your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
>> was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?

>I'd go probably. If they didn't want customers, they'd close for a
>"Private Party."

That's right.

OTOH, I once held a very boisterous company party at a French
restaurant in Oakland. We went through in excess of two
bottles of wine per person, we handed guests a glass of champagne
as they arrived, etc. The owners chose not to close the restaurant
for us, even though we nearly filled it; they served a total
of two other parties that night, in series, at the one table
we weren't occupying.

It was probably sub-optimal for these other diners.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> OTOH, I once held a very boisterous company party at a French
> restaurant in Oakland. We went through in excess of two
> bottles of wine per person, we handed guests a glass of champagne
> as they arrived, etc. The owners chose not to close the restaurant
> for us, even though we nearly filled it; they served a total
> of two other parties that night, in series, at the one table
> we weren't occupying.
>
> It was probably sub-optimal for these other diners.
>
> Steve

I'd not want to have a party at a restaurant with others around and they'd
probably not want to be near us either. Why not choose a place with a
private room? There are usually some that can accommodate from 12 to 100 or
so diners.

We go to a steakhouse and have about 30+ people. With a private room, we
have plenty of space for the gifts, space for activities, etc. We have the
same wait staff every year too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> OTOH, I once held a very boisterous company party at a French
>> restaurant in Oakland. We went through in excess of two
>> bottles of wine per person, we handed guests a glass of champagne
>> as they arrived, etc. The owners chose not to close the restaurant
>> for us, even though we nearly filled it; they served a total
>> of two other parties that night, in series, at the one table
>> we weren't occupying.

>> It was probably sub-optimal for these other diners.

> I'd not want to have a party at a restaurant with others
> around and they'd probably not want to be near us either.
> Why not choose a place with a private room?

Because in my geographical area, choices of restaurants/spaces
for holiday parties are *extremely* limited. A private
room is better but you take what you can get. To be sure,
I thought this restaurant was going to close down the place
for the evening given the size of our party, but they decided
not to.

The restaurant in question was the long-gone Chef Paul in Oakland.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 2:23*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> [..] If you not comfortable don't go.

I don't (anymore) go in to a restaurant (even one I really like
patronizing) hosting a holiday party. It's still not guilt-free; sort
of like (Obfood) Sees chocolates.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 5:31*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article dth>,*"The Ranger" > wrote:

> > What would you do if you were going out to a restaurant, one
> > that you visited often enough that the managers and servers
> > knew you by name, and saw a holiday party in progress? Would
> > you turn about and find a different place? Or would you tuck
> > your head between your shoulders in the hopes that the group
> > was almost done and not too far into their liquor consumption?

> I don't understand why being a customer would be problematic.
>*Was it the staff that was partying? *You 'afeared that the cook
> would be blotto and in no condition to prepare food? *Heck, I'd
> have a table and expect service as usual. *

If it was the restaurant's company party, I'd _hope_ I was invited!
Those are always fun. But in this case, another company (completely
unrelated to the restaurant in question) is hosting their annual
company event at your favorite watering hole. Would you still go in,
even though you knew the evening would be compromised?

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 5:33*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article dth>,
> *"The Ranger" > wrote:
>
> > ravenlynne > wrote in message
> > [snip]
> > > I'd go probably. *If they didn't want customers, they'd
> > > close for a "Private Party."

> > Devil's Advocate: How would you feel if it affected your
> > conversation during the meal?

> I'd introduce myself to a couple of the partygoers and join
> in the fun. *'-)

I've never joined a party-in-progress without my RSVP already
confirmed. Must be your Slavic Upbringing (or they do things different
in the Great White North Desolation.)

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd not want to have a party at a restaurant with others around and they'd
> probably not want to be near us either. Why not choose a place with a
> private room? There are usually some that can accommodate from 12 to 100 or
> so diners.
>
> We go to a steakhouse and have about 30+ people. With a private room, we
> have plenty of space for the gifts, space for activities, etc. We have the
> same wait staff every year too.

When I was working, we never used to do much on the 24th. Nobody wanted
to be handing out tickets on Christmas Eve. We would go to a nearby
restaurant for breakfast, go back to the office and do some paperwork,
order in pizza and then get sent home after lunch. When we got booted
out of our office and had a trailer in a parking lot we started going to
a nearby restaurant for lunch and then wait for the phone call to go
home. When the people at the district office caught on to our lunch
thing they wanted in on it.

It was easy to arrange. The restaurant was never busy at lunch time. It
was primarily into the night time booze crowd. All I had to do was
find out approximately how many people were coming and then go in and
let them know roughly how many to expect. No special meals, just have
everyone order from the menu. I also suggested separate checks because I
didn't want to get stuck with the money, knowing there would be some
who would shortchange me and stiff the waitresses for tips.

It worked well the first year. The next year when I took a head count
the people from the district office balked at driving all the way down
here... about 50 miles. They wanted us to go down there. Nuts to that.
The lunch party was our idea. They could join us or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
But in this case, another company (completely
unrelated to the restaurant in question) is hosting their annual
company event at your favorite watering hole. Would you still go in,
even though you knew the evening would be compromised?

I'll pass. Why take a chance? Why have less than the best service?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> > But in this case, another company (completely
> > unrelated to the restaurant in question) is hosting their
> > annual
> > company event at your favorite watering hole. Would you
> > still go in,
> > even though you knew the evening would be compromised?
> >

> I'll pass. Why take a chance? Why have less than the best
> service?

Sometimes the service is as good (or better) because the staff
knows they have to put in that extra something because people
see the large group [sucking up so much of whatever]. But
noise, to me nowadays, is even more off-putting because I'm
losing my hearing. And a large group is generally not a quiet
group.

Like you, I pass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:28:10 -0800 (PST), The Ranger
> wrote:

>On Dec 19, 5:33*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>wrote:
>> In article dth>,
>> *"The Ranger" > wrote:
>>

>> > Devil's Advocate: How would you feel if it affected your
>> > conversation during the meal?

>> I'd introduce myself to a couple of the partygoers and join
>> in the fun. *'-)

>I've never joined a party-in-progress without my RSVP already
>confirmed. Must be your Slavic Upbringing (or they do things different
>in the Great White North Desolation.)

Midwesterners are a social bunch who don't let a little technicality
like being strangers get in the way of good conversation and a good
time. They don't even need to come from the frozen north (US) to be
very different from most Californians.

Mae West

Holiday Party Cocktails drinKay General 0 04-11-2013 02:57 PM
Employee Holiday Party Reports Curly Sue General Cooking 2 17-12-2005 01:50 PM
TN: first mini-holiday party Dale Williams Wine 0 21-12-2004 01:29 PM
Holiday Dining? The Ranger Restaurants 1 12-04-2004 01:23 PM
TN: Holiday party wines Dale Williams Wine 0 23-12-2003 09:06 PM