Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default transporting fried foods

Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
poppers, rangoons etc.

Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.

Keep them well-ventilated. Let them cool on racks,
not paper towels. Don't put them in a plastic bag
or sealed container for transportation. A basket
or a colander might be a good choice for transportation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.
>
> TIA

Take a toaster oven.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.
>
> TIA

I've never perfected it so that it ends up how I want it to be at
serving. I have wanted to take lumpia or eggrolls into work many times
but haven't. When I've taken fried chicken places I know to not allow
anything "Steam" it such as a saran wrap type covering will do to it. I
lay a cotton tea towel over it to transport.
I hope this thread produces some good solutions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.
>
> TIA

Don't enclose them and plan to reheat them for serving. Enclose them
and (assuming they're hot/warm when you do) they'll created
steam/moisture and get soggy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.
>
> TIA

Is there any way you can do all the prep work ahead of time and fry them
when you get to the in-laws' house? Or at least reheating in a hot oven
when you get there? They won't be as crisp as just out of the fat, but
it will help a bit.

Fried foods give off a lot of steam and heat which condenses and falls
back on the food, causing the sogginess.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.

Fried foods don't transport well. They are best eaten fresh out of the
fryer. Your best bet might be to do it the way they used to package take
out fish in chips..... wrapped in newspaper. but not too tight or else
it will get soggy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.
>
> TIA

I believe the only way you can really get away with this is to under fry
the items initially, transport them well ventilated like on a wire
cooling rack over a pan, and reheat them under a broiler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 2:10 pm, "Anthony" > wrote:
> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods?

I'd ask permission to build 'em and fry 'em there. If not convenient
for all concerned, you might want to change your plan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony > wrote:

> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods? Specifically
> how to keep the outside crunchy. I'm thinking mini-chimichangas, jalapeno
> poppers, rangoons etc.
>
> Dinner is at the in-laws about 15 minutes away.

You can't do it.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Dec 10, 2:10 pm, "Anthony" > wrote:
>> Dies anyone have any good tips on transporting fried foods?

> I'd ask permission to build 'em and fry 'em there. If not convenient
> for all concerned, you might want to change your plan.

I have to agree, change plans if you can't make them there at the house.

Jill

Deep-fried foods at the Orange County Fair Travis McGee General Cooking 1 13-07-2014 01:47 PM
NY Times Article About Fried Foods And State Fairs margaret suran General Cooking 20 08-10-2007 05:24 AM
fried foods Jac General Cooking 21 10-07-2005 02:33 AM
Transporting Turkey shellz General Cooking 16 24-12-2004 05:05 PM
Removing absorbed oil in fried foods after frying ? Al General Cooking 17 28-06-2004 08:49 PM