Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Less posters on group

I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
wish there was a solution to this.
Just my 2c,

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
> the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
> the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
> wish there was a solution to this.
> Just my 2c,
>
> Theron

I haven't noticed any decline in posts from the regulars.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:

> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
> the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
> the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
> wish there was a solution to this.

On the other side of the coin, such a culling does reduce the number of
users who aren't even clued enough about the medium to simply use another
news server.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote:
> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
> the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
> the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
> wish there was a solution to this.
> Just my 2c,
>
> Theron

I can't speak for other newsgroups but rfc just seems that way because
lately I've been being good... were I a mind to I could increase rfc's
posts tenfold with one teensy stir of my spoon. Yoose lurkers always
seem to want more action... I really should charge yoose for my
special events like PPV.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 12:29*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and

The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.

There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Dec 9, 12:29 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
>> and

> The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
> posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

(laughing) You know I wanted to say it (sorry Theron).

> Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.
>
> There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
> tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

We'll just have to out-post them with cooking stuff.

I had home made beef barley soup for dinner last night, just what the
doctor ordered for a cold. This is good stuff.

Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)

1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
>> and other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is
>> this due to the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your
>> subscription. Could this be the end of wide interest large usegroups
>> such as ours. It's unfortunate. I wish there was a solution to this.
>> Just my 2c,
>>
>> Theron
>>

> I haven't noticed any decline in posts from the regulars.
>
> Jill

I sure have. Barb Schaller has notably decreased her postings for one.
And some regular (but with questionable value) regulars post a lot more
stupid off topic crap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
> the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
> the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
> wish there was a solution to this.
> Just my 2c,
>
> Theron

Its a busy time of the year.

The children have nothing to do - soon they'll tire as they always do once
people stop responding to their drivel.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 12:29 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
>>> and

>> The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
>> posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

> (laughing) You know I wanted to say it (sorry Theron).
>
>> Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.
>>
>> There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
>> tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

> We'll just have to out-post them with cooking stuff.
> I had home made beef barley soup for dinner last night, just what the
> doctor ordered for a cold. This is good stuff.
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of the
> seasonings. nancy)
>
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1 tablespoon vegetable
> oil 1 cup water 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme 1/4 teaspoon MSG 1/8 teaspoon
> pepper 1 bay leaf 4 cups water 3 medium carrots, sliced 1 large stalk
> celery, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with
> liquid 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium heat until
> brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through the bay leaf. Cover
> and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce
> heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 35 minutes.
>

> nancy

I JUST bought some barley for the first time thinking I'd try my hands
at beef barley soup.
Thanks for the recipe. I don't think I have any chuck around - would any
other cut work?
I have some sirloin tips and maybe some blade steaks (are those chuck?)
and possibly a top round steak.

I was also sorta thinking mushroom barley.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> "Theron" wrote:
> > I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> > other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due

> > the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this

be
> > the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate.

> > wish there was a solution to this.
> > Just my 2c,
> >
> > Theron

> I can't speak for other newsgroups but rfc just seems that way because
> lately I've been being good... were I a mind to I could increase rfc's
> posts tenfold with one teensy stir of my spoon. Yoose lurkers always
> seem to want more action... I really should charge yoose for my
> special events like PPV.

Hehe...I call this "entertaining the troops"...sometimes more "riots" ensue
even than when Marilyn Mon - roe on her USO tour strolled out on the stage
in Korea in front of millions of GI's during the Korean Conflict...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>>
>> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of the
>> seasonings. nancy)
>>
>> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1 tablespoon
>> vegetable oil 1 cup water 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon 1 1/2
>> teaspoons salt 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme 1/4 teaspoon
>> MSG 1/8 teaspoon pepper 1 bay leaf 4 cups water 3 medium carrots,
>> sliced 1 large stalk celery, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 1 can
>> (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>>
>> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium heat
>> until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through the bay
>> leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>>
>> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
>> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 35
>> minutes.

> I JUST bought some barley for the first time thinking I'd try my
> hands at beef barley soup.
> Thanks for the recipe. I don't think I have any chuck around - would
> any other cut work?

The chuck becomes tender, I don't know what result other
cuts would give you. They might be too tough.

> I have some sirloin tips and maybe some blade steaks (are those
> chuck?) and possibly a top round steak.
>
> I was also sorta thinking mushroom barley.

That sounds good, too.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 12:03*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 12:29*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
>
> > I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and

> The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
> posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. *;-)
>
> Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.
>
> There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
> tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.
>
> N.

Those people need to learn how to use a killfile. I see very little
spam unless I'm posting through Google.

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 2:20 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Dec 9, 12:29 pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> >> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
> >> and

> > The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
> > posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

> (laughing) You know I wanted to say it (sorry Theron).
>
> > Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.

> > There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
> > tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

> We'll just have to out-post them with cooking stuff.
>
> I had home made beef barley soup for dinner last night, just what the
> doctor ordered for a cold. This is good stuff.
>
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
> the seasonings. nancy)
>
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1 bay leaf
> 4 cups water
> 3 medium carrots, sliced
> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
> heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
> the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
> 35 minutes.
>
> nancy

I LOVE beef barley soup. Unfortunately, duties, home improvement,
appointments, visitors and weather have conspired so I didn't have any
dinner last night, and no hope of having time to cook until the
weekend. Reading your recipe made me h-u-n-g-r-y. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 3:55�pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Nancy2 wrote:

> >> The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
> >> posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. �;-)

> > (laughing) �You know I wanted to say it (sorry Theron).

> >> Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.

> >> There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
> >> tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

> > We'll just have to out-post them with cooking stuff.
> > I had home made beef barley soup for dinner last night, just what the
> > doctor ordered for a cold. �This is good stuff.
> > Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

> > �(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of �the
> > seasonings. �nancy)

> > 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 1 tablespoon vegetable
> > oil 1 cup water 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> > 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme 1/4 teaspoon MSG 1/8 teaspoon
> > pepper 1 bay leaf 4 cups water 3 medium carrots, sliced 1 large stalk
> > celery, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with
> > liquid 1/2 cup uncooked barley

> > Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium heat until
> > brown. �Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through the bay leaf. �Cover
> > and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

> > Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. �Heat to boiling, reduce
> > heat. �Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 35 minutes.

> > nancy �

> � I JUST bought some barley for the first time thinking I'd try my hands
> at beef barley soup.
> Thanks for the recipe. I don't think I have any chuck around - would any
> other cut work?
> I have some sirloin tips and maybe some blade steaks (are those chuck?)
> and possibly a top round steak.

I think top round works better, it becomes tender yet still holds
together in little cubes instead of becoming shreds, and less fatty
than chuck.

> I was also sorta thinking mushroom barley.

Yes, lotsa 'shrooms.

I made a 16 quart potful of beef barley 'shroom this week. Whenever I
make soup I make plenty for the freezer, I never buy canned soup... I
haven't bought canned soup since a can of Campbell's vegetable beef
cost 15 cents. The other day in the stupidmarket for the first time
in years I happened to look at the prices of canned soups, geeze, like
$3 for one measly can... people are nutz buying that briney mush...
and those are the same nutzos who eschew canned veggies because they
say they're mushy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and

The reason is people like me correct things like "...less are
posting," which should be "...fewer are posting. ;-)

Just kidding. ;-) Sort of.

There's so much spam and porno garbage, many people have just gotten
tired of trying to wend their way through the groups.

N.

Personally I wasn't at all surprised when Comcast made it's announcement
that they were discontinuing newsgroups. I did have to think twice about
whether or not I'd want to continue now that I'm paying a small fee to
usenetmonster.com because I like to read alt.bineries.food.

I do get so very tried of the spamming, arguments, etc. that are in the
newsgroups, but decided to continue... for now...

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Theron wrote:
>
> > I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
> > and other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is
> > this due to the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your
> > subscription. Could this be the end of wide interest large
> > usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I wish there was a
> > solution to this.

> On the other side of the coin, such a culling does reduce the number
> of users who aren't even clued enough about the medium to simply use
> another news server.

And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any group. As
time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions or stop
altogether. Without replacement, the group withers away. Like it or
not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By shutting them out, you
kill your own group. Slowly but surely.

Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt what
you want to protect.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
>>> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due
>>> to the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could
>>> this be the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's
>>> unfortunate. I wish there was a solution to this.
>>> Just my 2c,
>>>
>>> Theron
>>>

>> I haven't noticed any decline in posts from the regulars.
>>
>> Jill

> I sure have. Barb Schaller has notably decreased her postings for one.
> And some regular (but with questionable value) regulars post a lot more
> stupid off topic crap.

Just imagine if someone had neglected to quote!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message

>>> I haven't noticed any decline in posts from the regulars.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I sure have. Barb Schaller has notably decreased her postings for one.
>> And some regular (but with questionable value) regulars post a lot
>> more stupid off topic crap.

> Just imagine if someone had neglected to quote!

You would have posted some shrillish reply??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 4:15�pm, "Default User" > wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > Theron wrote:

> > > I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
> > > and other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is
> > > this due to the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your
> > > subscription. Could this be the end of wide interest large
> > > usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I wish there was a
> > > solution to this.

> > On the other side of the coin, such a culling does reduce the number
> > of users who aren't even clued enough about the medium to simply use
> > another news server.

> And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any group. As
> time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions or stop
> altogether. Without replacement, the group withers away. Like it or
> not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By shutting them out, you
> kill your own group. Slowly but surely.
>
> Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt what
> you want to protect.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

People come and go in this , and probably every other group. Just wait
till kids are out for Christmas vacation, we get a lot more idiotic
posts then. Come to think of it, from the looks of things, some may
be out of school all ready.

People often post like crazy for a few months, answering every single
post, and then they get bored and disappear.

Others who have been here a long time, as I have( I am thinking maybe
97 or 98,) will post periodically, sometimes a lot sometimes very
little. Others will post on a regular basis.Some have been here years
longer than I have, others have died, some people just run out of
things to say. And the beat goes on....

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Theron wrote:
>>
>> > I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on
>> > this, and other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam
>> > content is up. Is this due to the major ISPs stopping USENET
>> > as part of your subscription. Could this be the end of wide
>> > interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
>> > wish there was a solution to this.

>> On the other side of the coin, such a culling does reduce the
>> number of users who aren't even clued enough about the medium
>> to simply use another news server.

> And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any group.

Not clued new blood.

> As time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions
> or stop altogether. Without replacement, the group withers away.
> Like it or not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By
> shutting them out, you kill your own group. Slowly but surely.
>
> Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt
> what you want to protect.

I'm not "punishing" anyone. Taking their computers away from them
would be punishing them. Setting them afire would be punishing
them. Waterboardng them would be punishing them.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any group.

> Not clued new blood.

New blood is generally stupid in the beginning. Regardless of how
access is gained, they have to be clued in. By shunning them due to
their choice of access, they never will be clued-in, but will leave.

> > Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt
> > what you want to protect.

> I'm not "punishing" anyone.

Bullshit and you know it. This nonsensical "improvement" project to
filter all GG posters with no recourse for proven "real" contributors
is exactly that.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

> > Just imagine if someone had neglected to quote!
> >

> You would have posted some shrillish reply??

I have to say this sort of thing is making the group an unpleasant
place to visit.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Default User wrote:

>> > And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any
>> > group.

>> Not clued new blood.

> New blood is generally stupid in the beginning. Regardless of
> how access is gained, they have to be clued in. By shunning them
> due to their choice of access, they never will be clued-in, but
> will leave.
>
>> > Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only
>> > hurt what you want to protect.

>> I'm not "punishing" anyone.

> Bullshit and you know it. This nonsensical "improvement" project
> to filter all GG posters with no recourse for proven "real"
> contributors is exactly that.

You don't understand the Project. Guess who does. Right! The
creator.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can't stand it any longer. FEWER!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> I lurk in RFP and the number of posts over there has drastically decreased.
> <shrug> I don't know why. Busy time of year I suppose.
> Michael

On the contrary, it's a not-busy time of the year. Most the posters on
rec.food.preserving are north americans and for most north americans
(George Shirley notwithstanding) the harvesting/food preserving season
is past. The low number of posts is nothing new for this time of the
year.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> - read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>> I lurk in RFP and the number of posts over there has drastically decreased.
>> <shrug> I don't know why. Busy time of year I suppose.
>> Michael

> On the contrary, it's a not-busy time of the year. Most the posters on
> rec.food.preserving are north americans and for most north americans
> (George Shirley notwithstanding) the harvesting/food preserving season
> is past. The low number of posts is nothing new for this time of the
> year.

Alas and alack, it's over for us too. Picked the last of the cherry
tomatoes and sweet chiles today, along with a couple of eggplant. Looks
like we're expecting a hard freeze in the next couple of days.

Good news is that a friend killed an Axis deer over in Texas the other
day and we're going to turn the little feller into sausage tomorrow or
Thursday. Link sausage, 90% venison, 10% pork, then smoked. Should be good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron > wrote:

> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this, and
> other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is this due to
> the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your subscription. Could this be
> the end of wide interest large usegroups such as ours. It's unfortunate. I
> wish there was a solution to this.
> Just my 2c,

Usenet always slows down from November to January.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> preserving season is past. The low number of posts is nothing new for
> this time of the year.

It waxes and wanes, ebbs and flows.

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> - read it and weep.

Damn!! :-(

Sooooo many good people are contracting this insideous disease.

Australia has just lost one of it's best marathon runners after a
16month battle. She was a 41 yo mum with 3 kids.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...17-661,00.html

"McCann was diagnosed with breast cancer in August last year while she
was pregnant with her third child.

She had a 2.5cm lump removed from her right breast when she was 31 weeks
pregnant, but McCann delayed having chemotherapy until after the birth
of her son Cooper Patrick."

And our damn Government *still* won't help out those who are battling
cancer :-/

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...6-2862,00.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Life is a walk of death. Each day we walk hand in hand with death, and
nothing can guarantee our living one more day.
Treat every breath as the last, every heart beat, every moonrise, and
every smile.
For who can say they won't be... Ride the Wind's, and where ever they
take you, make it better, that is the way of the warrior.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
>I can't stand it any longer. FEWER!
>
> Felice

I hope you feel better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 7:50�pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> I can't stand it any longer. FEWER!
>
> Felice

I'm glad you said something because that was the first thing I
noticed. If it's a mass quantity you use the word, "less." If it's
something you can count you use the word, "fewer." This bucket has
LESS sand in it than that bucket. This bucket has FEWER grains of
sand in it than that bucket. In the first sentence the word, "sand"
is a mass quantity. In the second sentence the word, "grains" is
something you can count, although I personally wouldn't want to count
grains of sand. One notable exception is when you're talking about
time. I have less than two hours to finish this project. Even though
you can count hours you still use the word, "less."

Class dismissed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Dec 2008 00:12:01 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>Default User wrote:
>
>> As time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions
>> or stop altogether. Without replacement, the group withers away.
>> Like it or not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By
>> shutting them out, you kill your own group. Slowly but surely.
>>
>> Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt
>> what you want to protect.

>I'm not "punishing" anyone. Taking their computers away from them
>would be punishing them. Setting them afire would be punishing
>them. Waterboardng them would be punishing them.

Blinky, it was nice to meet you in chat the other night. You probably
didn't know that I existed in the newsgroup until today, when I
finally got the new Agent to work (dang, I hate it when they improve
software to the point where it's nearly unusable!).

Carol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Alas and alack, it's over for us too. Picked the last of the cherry
> tomatoes and sweet chiles today, along with a couple of eggplant. Looks
> like we're expecting a hard freeze in the next couple of days.

I saw something I've never seen before- canned cherry tomatoes! I was so
surprised by them but I didn't buy them. I toss the odd fresh cherry
tomato into the pot when they're getting a bit aged and not salad
worthy. But I never considered going out of my way to buy them canned
for cooking.
Have ya ever....? <Goomba confounded>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> I can't stand it any longer. FEWER!

Amen. I've been holding back. Thank you.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2008 00:12:01 GMT, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>Default User wrote:
>>
>>> As time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions
>>> or stop altogether. Without replacement, the group withers
>>> away. Like it or not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By
>>> shutting them out, you kill your own group. Slowly but surely.
>>>
>>> Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only
>>> hurt what you want to protect.

>>I'm not "punishing" anyone. Taking their computers away from
>>them would be punishing them. Setting them afire would be
>>punishing them. Waterboardng them would be punishing them.

> Blinky, it was nice to meet you in chat the other night. You

Likewise.

> probably didn't know that I existed in the newsgroup until
> today, when I finally got the new Agent to work (dang, I hate it

I knew you existed here; I just didn't know this you was that you.
Multiple nyms are like that.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:6q97nvFaqnqsU2
@mid.individual.net:

> wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 7:50�pm, "Felice" > wrote:
>>> I can't stand it any longer. FEWER!
>>>
>>> Felice

>> I'm glad you said something because that was the first thing I
>> noticed. If it's a mass quantity you use the word, "less." If it's
>> something you can count you use the word, "fewer." This bucket has
>> LESS sand in it than that bucket. This bucket has FEWER grains of
>> sand in it than that bucket. In the first sentence the word, "sand"
>> is a mass quantity. In the second sentence the word, "grains" is
>> something you can count, although I personally wouldn't want to count
>> grains of sand. One notable exception is when you're talking about
>> time. I have less than two hours to finish this project. Even

though
>> you can count hours you still use the word, "less."
>>
>> Class dismissed.

> I've gotten quite fussy about the misuse of "what" when the poster
> should be saying "which" instead. It just rubs me wrong! Are we

becoming
> increasingly illiterate? <sigh>

That would be *semi*literate......

adj.

1. Having achieved an elementary level of ability in reading and
writing.
2. Having limited knowledge or understanding, especially of a
technical subject.

;-P

And on that subject...... is it 'you and I'? Or 'you and me'?

As in....... not everyone is of the same opinion as you and I.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
news

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> I've noticed in the past month or so that less are posting on this,
>> and other large broad subject NGs. And, the spam content is up. Is
>> this due to the major ISPs stopping USENET as part of your
>> subscription. Could this be the end of wide interest large usegroups
>> such as ours. It's unfortunate. I wish there was a solution to this.
>> Just my 2c,
>>
>> Theron

> Its a busy time of the year.
>
> The children have nothing to do - soon they'll tire as they always do
> once people stop responding to their drivel.
>
> Dimitri

LOL!!! Too true!!

BTW, it *is* school holidays over here.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in news:6q8gfiFbddm8U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Default User wrote:

>> > And also culls out new blood, and that's the death of any group.

>> Not clued new blood.

> New blood is generally stupid in the beginning. Regardless of how
> access is gained, they have to be clued in. By shunning them due to
> their choice of access, they never will be clued-in, but will leave.

*OR*..... if they are willing to learn, and are not proven to be either
a stalker or a troll, they wil stick around and learn.

>> > Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt
>> > what you want to protect.

>> I'm not "punishing" anyone.

> Bullshit and you know it. This nonsensical "improvement" project to
> filter all GG posters with no recourse for proven "real" contributors
> is exactly that.

The "proven real" GG posters will probably agree with the filtering of a
lot of the posters from GG's.

So, it's not bullshit, and no-one is being puinished..... except for the
trolls, and stalkers, and spammers.

And why are you getting your knickers in a twist?? You're posting
through individual.net....... not Google.

'Back in the day', when Usenet/internet was young, everyone was
accountable for their posts. Your email address was included with each
and every post that was sent.

With the advent of anonymous postings, from places like Google, you have
any scumbag and it's dog using it to detract, defame, deride, destruct,
or just plain act like a real arsehole........ because that's what they
*can't* do in real life.

In real life, someone would slap them silly for being an arsehole, and
there would be nothing they could do about it.

Here, with anonymous postings, *especially* from GG, they can do and say
what they want.

I say... Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

The "proven real" GG posters will find a way around it..... and quite
possibly be shown the way around it, as has happened in the past.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On 10 Dec 2008 00:12:01 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Default User wrote:
>>
>>> As time goes by, many regulars will reduce their contributions
>>> or stop altogether. Without replacement, the group withers away.
>>> Like it or not, GG is the main entry for new posters. By
>>> shutting them out, you kill your own group. Slowly but surely.
>>>
>>> Your campaign to "punish" GG users is doomed, and will only hurt
>>> what you want to protect.

>>I'm not "punishing" anyone. Taking their computers away from them
>>would be punishing them. Setting them afire would be punishing
>>them. Waterboardng them would be punishing them.

> Blinky, it was nice to meet you in chat the other night. You probably
> didn't know that I existed in the newsgroup until today, when I
> finally got the new Agent to work (dang, I hate it when they improve
> software to the point where it's nearly unusable!).

Don't know why he wouldn't know about you, Doc.

You've been here for as long as I can remember!!

A quick GG check in rfc shows 25,500 results for Damsel in dis
Dress

:-)

BTW, how's Crash nowadays?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Dec 2008 07:01:11 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Blinky, it was nice to meet you in chat the other night. You

>Likewise.
>
>> probably didn't know that I existed in the newsgroup until
>> today, when I finally got the new Agent to work

>I knew you existed here; I just didn't know this you was that you.
>Multiple nyms are like that.

I don't use the full nick in chat, but Damsel is pretty close. LOL!

Carol