Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Default A sauerkraut tip

Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.

What's a non-carpenter to do? Or even a carpenter,
if the only wood available is pine or sprue?

For the unitiated, that's the woodwork you make to
press the cabbage down. Remember, here the plate
that fits the crock, won't fit through the mouth.

The Solution:

<drum roll here....>

Take that little folding/collapsible s/s steamer basket, you
know... the one you can get at the supermarket for a couple
of USD? THe one you used for brussel sprouts and okra?

Turn that baby upside down with the leaves partially
collapsed, insert into the crock mouth, then let the leaves
expand. The leaves will expand to fit the main crock and hold the
cabbage in place. Now add your water and any remaining salt.

Inventive minds may grind away the little feet the
steamer basket comes with. I just turned a flatbottomed
side-dish upside down (Corning) and placed it over the
basket's feet and pushed down. Adjust liquid levels, and
close up the crock with its lid, towel or what have you.

Works like a charm! And you can sanitize it in the dishwasher.

No charge, honestly. Enjoy it without royalty or VAT.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Chemiker wrote:
> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.

I think those are butter churns rather than crocks. The lids are
usually missing.

> What's a non-carpenter to do? Or even a carpenter,
> if the only wood available is pine or sprue?

You can also use a plastic bag of water to weigh down the cabbage and
seal out air all at the same time. But use a really sturdy bag so it
doesn't leak or burst and flood your kraut with water.

I like your idea of using a steamer basket. You may find that it
corrodes even tho' it is stainless (because of the acid + salt).

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Chemiker wrote:
>> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
>> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
>> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
>> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.

> I think those are butter churns rather than crocks. The lids are usually
> missing.
>
>> What's a non-carpenter to do? Or even a carpenter,
>> if the only wood available is pine or sprue?

> You can also use a plastic bag of water to weigh down the cabbage and seal
> out air all at the same time. But use a really sturdy bag so it doesn't
> leak or burst and flood your kraut with water.
>
> I like your idea of using a steamer basket. You may find that it corrodes
> even tho' it is stainless (because of the acid + salt).
>
> Bob

Yeehaa Alex, which is Texan fer good thinking. I'd worry over the corrosion
too. Did you get any?
One of the preserving books recommends saline filled bags at the same rate
of your brine, just in case of leaks.
I love the commercially canned stuff that just a trifle sweet and with them
thar leetle seeds in it.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob > wrote:

> I like your idea of using a steamer basket. You may find that it
> corrodes even tho' it is stainless (because of the acid + salt).

Yes. It's unwise to use any sort of metal in your sauerkraut crock
or jar as it will give you unwanted flavors as it slowly
deteriorates.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On Dec 8, 6:01�pm, Chemiker > wrote:

> Take that little folding/collapsible s/s steamer basket, you
> know... the one you can get at the supermarket for a couple
> of USD? THe one you used for brussel sprouts and okra?

I'd not use stainless steel... stainless steel doesn't mean impervious/
inert, most stainless steels are indeed reactive. Stainless steel
used to make those steamer thingies is not a very high grade, all
stainless steels are alloys of various metals, in brine they will
leach out. those steamer thingies are designed for short term food
use and certainly not with brine, they will definitely taint your
kraut with a metalic taste... even expensive designer stainless steel
pots are not intended for use with pickling solution, brine or acid.
I see no reason you couldn't go cro magnon... hack out a wooden disk
to fit and find a rock to hold it down. It's not necessary that the
disk fit the full diameter, just use a heavier rock so the cabbage is
submerged a bit deeper. If you're concerned about losing a little
volume treat yourselt to properly configured crocks, and larger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.
> Alex

I thought you just put a brine-filled plastic bag on top of it, although
Mom had a round wood board that she put on top of the fermenting kraut.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Chemiker > wrote:
>
>> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
>> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
>> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
>> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.
>> Alex

> I thought you just put a brine-filled plastic bag on top of it, although
> Mom had a round wood board that she put on top of the fermenting kraut.

Dad always put a stoneware plate on top of it, and a jar of water on top
of that. The plate was not a perfect fit to the crock, it was a little
small.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:53:08 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> Chemiker wrote:
>> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
>> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
>> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
>> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.

> I think those are butter churns rather than crocks. The lids are
> usually missing.
>
>> What's a non-carpenter to do? Or even a carpenter,
>> if the only wood available is pine or sprue?

> You can also use a plastic bag of water to weigh down the cabbage and
> seal out air all at the same time. But use a really sturdy bag so it
> doesn't leak or burst and flood your kraut with water.
>
> I like your idea of using a steamer basket. You may find that it
> corrodes even tho' it is stainless (because of the acid + salt).
>
> Bob

that's what i was thinking also. but i guess steamer baskets are cheap
enough that you could dedicate one to the task, but wouldn't the corrosion
'flavor' the kraut after a while?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

blake murphy wrote:
> that's what i was thinking also. but i guess steamer baskets are cheap
> enough that you could dedicate one to the task, but wouldn't the corrosion
> 'flavor' the kraut after a while?

Don't they make them out of plastic for microwave use?

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> I love the commercially canned stuff that just a trifle sweet and
> with them thar leetle seeds in it.

We were just talking about something similar last week. I haven't seen
it in a long time (the local Safeway has more and more of less and less,
even though they've expanded twice in the past 15 years). It's
saurkraut with peppers and other things in it--more like a sauerkraut
salad, I guess--the kraut is only about maybe 1/2 the material. I've
forgotten what it's called.

B/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Chemiker > wrote:
>>
>>> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
>>> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
>>> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
>>> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.
>>> Alex

>> I thought you just put a brine-filled plastic bag on top of it, although
>> Mom had a round wood board that she put on top of the fermenting kraut.

> Dad always put a stoneware plate on top of it, and a jar of water on top
> of that. The plate was not a perfect fit to the crock, it was a little
> small.
>
> Bob

Speaking of kimchi, etc., I was thinking how a bamboo steamer basket would
work? I dunno if it would hold up to repeated long soakings in brine...
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob > wrote in news:6q5qb4Fb3jlcU1
@mid.individual.net:

> You can also use a plastic bag of water to weigh down the cabbage and
> seal out air all at the same time. But use a really sturdy bag so it
> doesn't leak or burst and flood your kraut with water.

My grandfather made several crocks of kraut every fall for over 50 years.
Once he discovered sturdy plastic bags, that was the only method he used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

I've made sauerkraut for 45 years and I've always cut a piece of wood
that fits the container and gotten a glass jar, filled it with clean
sand as a weight. I don't think that people who use a plastic bag have
made too much sauerkraut since it should be skimmed of froth every night
or so or else the kraut will become musty tasting. Simple use a small
plastic skimmer or plastic strainer to skim the residue of the top.
After about two weeks when the fermentation scum becomes less, strain
when needed.I still make about 60 lbs. a year of specialty
sauerkraut.Further more, with cabbage being so cheap pick a nice round
water container(you can buy a nice 3 gallon jug of water and cut the top
off it). If that's to much hand it out to you friends! If you want to
use a plastic bag, add the same proportion salt to the water that is
needed some times to top up the kraut when not enough liquoid is
produces by the kraut itself.
mrorwell wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote in news:6q5qb4Fb3jlcU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> You can also use a plastic bag of water to weigh down the cabbage and
>> seal out air all at the same time. But use a really sturdy bag so it
>> doesn't leak or burst and flood your kraut with water.

> My grandfather made several crocks of kraut every fall for over 50 years.
> Once he discovered sturdy plastic bags, that was the only method he used.
>

> .................................................. ..............
> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

One of the Eastern European flavours is to add caraway to the shredded
cabbage..Excellent, if you like the caraway. Here's a tip: try jalapeño
peppers, sliced, added to the fresh shredded cabbage.

Chemiker wrote:
> Has a little epiphany while fighting to keep all the cabbage
> under the brine. I make small batches in 1-3 gallon crocks,
> some of which have shoulders and therefore mouths that
> are smaller in diameter than the crock proper.
>
> What's a non-carpenter to do? Or even a carpenter,
> if the only wood available is pine or sprue?
>
> For the unitiated, that's the woodwork you make to
> press the cabbage down. Remember, here the plate
> that fits the crock, won't fit through the mouth.
>
> The Solution:
>
> <drum roll here....>
>
> Take that little folding/collapsible s/s steamer basket, you
> know... the one you can get at the supermarket for a couple
> of USD? THe one you used for brussel sprouts and okra?
>
> Turn that baby upside down with the leaves partially
> collapsed, insert into the crock mouth, then let the leaves
> expand. The leaves will expand to fit the main crock and hold the
> cabbage in place. Now add your water and any remaining salt.
>
> Inventive minds may grind away the little feet the
> steamer basket comes with. I just turned a flatbottomed
> side-dish upside down (Corning) and placed it over the
> basket's feet and pushed down. Adjust liquid levels, and
> close up the crock with its lid, towel or what have you.
>
> Works like a charm! And you can sanitize it in the dishwasher.
>
> No charge, honestly. Enjoy it without royalty or VAT.
>
> Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:34:04 +0000 (UTC), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> that's what i was thinking also. but i guess steamer baskets are cheap
>> enough that you could dedicate one to the task, but wouldn't the corrosion
>> 'flavor' the kraut after a while?

> Don't they make them out of plastic for microwave use?
>
> Geoff.

i was thinking along the same lines, but i don't know if they make them.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:34:04 +0000 (UTC), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>> that's what i was thinking also. but i guess steamer baskets are cheap
>>> enough that you could dedicate one to the task, but wouldn't the corrosion
>>> 'flavor' the kraut after a while?

>> Don't they make them out of plastic for microwave use?
>>
>> Geoff.

> i was thinking along the same lines, but i don't know if they make them.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm sure that I have seen plastic steamer baskets. I did a search I
found this one
http://www.cookability.biz/kitchen-c...ket/b_1097.htm
Connie TC
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:34:04 +0000 (UTC), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:
> >> that's what i was thinking also. but i guess steamer baskets are cheap
> >> enough that you could dedicate one to the task, but wouldn't the corrosion
> >> 'flavor' the kraut after a while?

> > Don't they make them out of plastic for microwave use?
> >
> > Geoff.

> i was thinking along the same lines, but i don't know if they make them.
>
> your pal,
> blake

They do and we have one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Gary wrote:

> One of the Eastern European flavours is to add caraway to the shredded
> cabbage..Excellent, if you like the caraway. Here's a tip: try jalapeño
> peppers, sliced, added to the fresh shredded cabbage.

Weirdly enough, my Filipina friends used to make some weird dish that
contained sauerkraut and thinly slice jalapenos (or Thai green chiles).
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:55:13 -0700, Arri London wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Don't they make them out of plastic for microwave use?
>>>
>>> Geoff.

>> i was thinking along the same lines, but i don't know if they make them.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> They do and we have one.

i'm not surprised.

i forgot to say in the beginning that the original poster should get some
points for ingenuity.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:15:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>> My grandfather made several crocks of kraut every fall for over 50 years.
>> Once he discovered sturdy plastic bags, that was the only method he used.

FWIW: My son gave me a beer making set two years back, when we were
still speaking. SW gave it away, including the wonderful food-quality
white plastic pail with seal. That's why I'm making kraut in a glass
crock from Uh..... Oh Yeah, garden Ridge Pottery. Holds maybe
2 gallons.

For those of you who swear by wooden slabs to weight down the
cabbage, I'm w/you. My Dad did his tomatoes this way (after first
frost), but we lived in place where he could buy (borrow/steal) oak
planks. In today's urban world, I find I have to get my butt to a
specialty wood supplier and pay through the nose. Everything is
either pressurized or termite-treated or some such c**p.

Not on *my* plate, thenk you veddy, veddy much.

Did those stuffed (mango) peppers. Stuffed with white/green
cabbage, brine w/liddle salt, vinegar 2 to water 1/2, mustard
seed, bay leaf, garlic clove, a Hungarian Hot Wax pepper in
the orange stage, tinted with beet juice.

Yes, yes. I'm sure there are at least 2.5^3 of you who will
say I did it wrong. Kay! At least I did it. Your grandmother
was not my grandmother. <G>

Alex - trying not to poison himself. Those Reubens, are to
be made with my own corned beef. Already made it. Used
flatiron steak, not brisket. Cheese will be Sissi's goat cheddar.
The wheel is in the fridge as we speak. She's wierd. Why make
cheese when you can buy it so reasonably priced? I mean, who
*really* wants to milk a goat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:15:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:
> >> My grandfather made several crocks of kraut every fall for over 50 years.
> >> Once he discovered sturdy plastic bags, that was the only method he used.

> FWIW: My son gave me a beer making set two years back, when we were
> still speaking. SW gave it away, including the wonderful food-quality
> white plastic pail with seal. That's why I'm making kraut in a glass
> crock from Uh..... Oh Yeah, garden Ridge Pottery. Holds maybe
> 2 gallons.

Nothing wrong with that. Something ceramic and food-safe is all that is
needed.

> For those of you who swear by wooden slabs to weight down the
> cabbage, I'm w/you. My Dad did his tomatoes this way (after first
> frost), but we lived in place where he could buy (borrow/steal) oak
> planks. In today's urban world, I find I have to get my butt to a
> specialty wood supplier and pay through the nose. Everything is
> either pressurized or termite-treated or some such c**p.

It might be worth getting a decent piece of untreated oak (or whatever
other wood is suitable). It will be useful year after year with proper
treatment. Thinking my relatives used a heavy ceramic plate.

> Not on *my* plate, thenk you veddy, veddy much.

Fair enough. Don't even want to use that sort of wood for woodworking
bits.

<snip>
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:55:13 -0700, Arri London wrote:
>
> > blake murphy wrote:

> >> i was thinking along the same lines, but i don't know if they make them.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

>>Arri said:
> >
> > They do and we have one.

> i'm not surprised.

Hey it was a 'gift'. Works fine for steaming in the regular pot; the
metal one fell apart some time ago.

Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 6 01-04-2010 05:28 PM
Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
Sauerkraut Taemon Vegan 7 03-11-2005 01:01 PM
sauerkraut Dawn Preserving 10 14-09-2004 04:36 PM