Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mexican Christmas Punch

My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
she's ever had.

I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Mexican Christmas Punch

beverages

3 green apples
2 cups pineapple chunks
5 guavas
2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
2 cups tejocotes**
10 cinnamon sticks
1 cup jamaica
1 cup sugar

Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.

The fruit will be simmered in plain water with cinnamon and sugar
added to taste. The cooking will last for an hour or more until the
fruit is quite soft and the flavor of the liquid is fully developed.
You can halve the water with apple juice.

The heavy things -- sugar cane and seeds -- will sink to the bottom
with the small, lighter fruit floating on top. When the ponche is
ladled into cups, a bit of fruit is included.

You can try different kinds of fruit, like oranges.

From Practically Edible .com
**Tejocotes are like teeny golden apples, though the colour can range
from reddy-orange to a translucent golden yellow. They have a sweet
and sour taste, which is reminiscent of something between a plum and
an apricot.

They are grown in Mexico and in China. In North America and in the UK,
they are very hard to find fresh, though you may find them canned in
ethnic stores.

Tejocotes are used in making a traditional Mexican Christmas punch,
served hot. Every Christmas, US inspectors at the Mexican border
prepare for an onslaught of smuggled Tejocotes. The shipments are
seized for fear of insects on them. There is as of now (2004) no
significant production within America.

Substitutes
Kumquats, dried apricots, plums

Literature & Lore
The Aztecs called Tejocotes "texocotl". From Tejocotes, they made a
preserve called "texocotzopelloti". US Customs literature (gripping
reading, that stuff) is one of the few places where you will see them
called "Hawthorne Apples".

Also called: Hawthorne Apples Tejocotes (Spanish)

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/07
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote:

> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
> she's ever had.

Seems pretty labor intensive. I'll leave it up to the Mexicans.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote:

> This sounds great. It screams for a little tequila, vodka, rum and a splash
> of Grand Marnier.

Dame, Michael. You don't **** around when it comes to adding booze!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
>> she's ever had.
>>
>> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>>

>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Mexican Christmas Punch
>>

>This sounds great. It screams for a little tequila, vodka, rum and a splash
>of Grand Marnier.
>
>Michael

I think you are right Michael. It will really pack a "punch" then
won't it. lol

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/07
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 9:42�pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> koko wrote:
> > My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
> > she's ever had.

> > I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.

> I wonder how many people will think the jamaica is jicama? �I think you
> could substitute quince for the Tejocotes.
>
> (Rum)

I think the "jamaica" (Jamaica) IS rum... although it seems a shame to
boil it. I think that recipe is a fraud, it would make a very thick
sweet syrup, there is hardly any liquid one could drink.

Try this instead:
http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-...om/ponche.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 8:40�am, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Dec 7, 9:42 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > koko wrote:
> > > My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
> > > she's ever had.

> > > I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.

> > I wonder how many people will think the jamaica is jicama? I think you
> > could substitute quince for the Tejocotes.

> > (Rum)

> I think the "jamaica" (Jamaica) IS rum... although it seems a shame to
> boil it. �I think that recipe is a fraud, it would make a very thick
> sweet syrup, there is hardly any liquid one could drink.
>
> Try this instead:http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-...om/ponche.html

Hmm, jamaica is a brew of dried hibiscus flowers... go know.

I have a hawthorne tree I planted, it has lots of marble sized fruits
but I never realized they were edible other than by the birds who seem
to devour them. The deer don't go near the lower branches I suppose
because of the deady thorns... hawthorne trees can be planted to form
an impenetrable hedge, they were once used to pen livestock before the
advent of barbed wire. Those fruit seem to ripen just before the
leaves drop, next year I will pick and try some before the birds get
them all.

"Ponche is an art form with almost as many variations are there are
Mexican cooks. Some recipes call for apples, others pears, many use
both. Many recipes will include tamarind pods. Some cooks add jamaica,
a drink brewed from dried hibiscus flowers. Still others like to add
pomegranate seeds. Use a little imagination, and your ponche recipe
will be your own."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 12/07

koko,

I know this wasn't your question but I tried this at a party during the
holidays and it was great... and I don't usually drink the punch. I
would cut the star anise from 4 to 2.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...a?rsc=also_try

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:17:12 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote:
>
>> This sounds great. It screams for a little tequila, vodka, rum and a splash
>> of Grand Marnier.

> Dame, Michael. You don't **** around when it comes to adding booze!
>
> -sw

why take chances?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
> she's ever had.
>
> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Mexican Christmas Punch
>
> beverages
>
> 3 green apples
> 2 cups pineapple chunks
> 5 guavas
> 2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
> 2 cups tejocotes**
> 10 cinnamon sticks
> 1 cup jamaica
> 1 cup sugar
>
> Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
> boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
> deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.

Jamaica what? Rum?

<snipped>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:
> koko wrote:
>> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
>> she's ever had.
>> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Mexican Christmas Punch
>>
>> beverages
>>
>> 3 green apples
>> 2 cups pineapple chunks
>> 5 guavas
>> 2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
>> 2 cups tejocotes**
>> 10 cinnamon sticks
>> 1 cup jamaica
>> 1 cup sugar
>>
>> Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
>> boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
>> deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.
>>

> Jamaica what? Rum?
> >

> <snipped>

You get them at a Mexican grocery store. It looks like rose petals,
only coarser; it's the dried chopped pods and/or flowers of a type of
hibiscus that looks kind of like dark red okra. They just call it
"jamaica". BTW, you have to actually boil it, not just steep it like
tea, to extract the color and flavor.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> flitterbit wrote:
>> koko wrote:
>>> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
>>> she's ever had.
>>> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>>>
>>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>>
>>> Mexican Christmas Punch
>>>
>>> beverages
>>>
>>> 3 green apples
>>> 2 cups pineapple chunks
>>> 5 guavas
>>> 2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
>>> 2 cups tejocotes**
>>> 10 cinnamon sticks
>>> 1 cup jamaica
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>>
>>> Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
>>> boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
>>> deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.
>>>

>> Jamaica what? Rum?
>> >

>> <snipped>

> You get them at a Mexican grocery store. It looks like rose petals,
> only coarser; it's the dried chopped pods and/or flowers of a type of
> hibiscus that looks kind of like dark red okra. They just call it
> "jamaica". BTW, you have to actually boil it, not just steep it like
> tea, to extract the color and flavor.
>
> Bob

Aaah! It's not something I've ever heard of before; I wonder why it's
called "jamaica"? Country of origin, perhaps? I've yet to encounter a
Mexican grocery store (I don't think we have a particularly large
Mexican community here in the frozen north), but I'll keep my eye out.
Thanks for the education!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> flitterbit wrote:

>>> Jamaica what? Rum?
>>> >
>>> <snipped>

>> You get them at a Mexican grocery store. It looks like rose petals,
>> only coarser; it's the dried chopped pods and/or flowers of a type of
>> hibiscus that looks kind of like dark red okra. They just call it
>> "jamaica". BTW, you have to actually boil it, not just steep it like
>> tea, to extract the color and flavor.
>>
>> Bob

> Aaah! It's not something I've ever heard of before; I wonder why it's
> called "jamaica"? Country of origin, perhaps? I've yet to encounter a
> Mexican grocery store (I don't think we have a particularly large
> Mexican community here in the frozen north), but I'll keep my eye out.
> Thanks for the education!

Here's a picture of what it looks like at the sto
http://www.mexgrocer.com/9689.html

Sometimes it's in plainer packaging than that.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> flitterbit wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> You get them at a Mexican grocery store. It looks like rose petals,
>>> only coarser; it's the dried chopped pods and/or flowers of a type of
>>> hibiscus that looks kind of like dark red okra. They just call it
>>> "jamaica". BTW, you have to actually boil it, not just steep it like
>>> tea, to extract the color and flavor.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Aaah! It's not something I've ever heard of before; I wonder why it's
>> called "jamaica"? Country of origin, perhaps? I've yet to encounter
>> a Mexican grocery store (I don't think we have a particularly large
>> Mexican community here in the frozen north), but I'll keep my eye out.
>> Thanks for the education!

> Here's a picture of what it looks like at the sto
> http://www.mexgrocer.com/9689.html
>
> Sometimes it's in plainer packaging than that.
>
> Bob

Thanks very much for the link; I've learned some interesting stuff today!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:

>> Here's a picture of what it looks like at the sto
>> http://www.mexgrocer.com/9689.html
>>
>> Sometimes it's in plainer packaging than that.
>>
>> Bob
> >

> Thanks very much for the link; I've learned some interesting stuff today!

I bought a quart of jamaica concentrate (syrup) not too long ago. I
haven't had a chance to play with it yet (it's kind of lacking just
mixed with cold water), but I think it'll be good in Hurricanes in place
of the passionfruit juice. I just need to get a bottle of 151 rum and
some dark rum...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> > Here's a picture of what it looks like at the sto
> >http://www.mexgrocer.com/9689.html

> > Sometimes it's in plainer packaging than that.

Hmm, I bet they send it in a plain brown wrapper... looks like
something folks can use to make a lotion or potion to use in lieu of
the blue pill. hehe

> Thanks very much for the link; I've learned some interesting stuff today!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> You get them at a Mexican grocery store. It looks like rose petals,
> only coarser; it's the dried chopped pods and/or flowers of a type of
> hibiscus that looks kind of like dark red okra. They just call it
> "jamaica". BTW, you have to actually boil it, not just steep it like
> tea, to extract the color and flavor.

It's also one of the Penafel or Jarrito's soda flavors - available
at any Mexican market.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Here's a picture of what it looks like at the sto
> http://www.mexgrocer.com/9689.html
>
> Sometimes it's in plainer packaging than that.

Around here they're in the bulk section next to the pinto beans.
With a big metal scoop.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:00:26 -0500, flitterbit >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
>> she's ever had.
>>
>> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>>

>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Mexican Christmas Punch
>>
>> beverages
>>
>> 3 green apples
>> 2 cups pineapple chunks
>> 5 guavas
>> 2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
>> 2 cups tejocotes**
>> 10 cinnamon sticks
>> 1 cup jamaica
>> 1 cup sugar
>>
>> Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
>> boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
>> deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.
>>

>Jamaica what? Rum?
> >

><snipped>

Jamaica is a dried hibuscus flower used in some Mexican beverages. In
Spanish the j is pronounced like the english h.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/07
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:00:26 -0500, flitterbit >
> wrote:
>
>> koko wrote:
>>> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
>>> she's ever had.
>>>
>>> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>>>

>>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>>
>>> Mexican Christmas Punch
>>>
>>> beverages
>>>
>>> 3 green apples
>>> 2 cups pineapple chunks
>>> 5 guavas
>>> 2 foot-long sugar cane pieces
>>> 2 cups tejocotes**
>>> 10 cinnamon sticks
>>> 1 cup jamaica
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>>
>>> Place the Jamaica in small pot and bring to boil. While Jamaica is
>>> boiling, cut the fruit into medium-sized chunks without peeling or
>>> deseeding, except for the sugar cane, which is peeled.
>>>

>> Jamaica what? Rum?
>> <snipped>

> Jamaica is a dried hibuscus flower used in some Mexican beverages. In
> Spanish the j is pronounced like the english h.
>
> koko
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 12/07

Thank you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message

> My friend e-mailed me this recipe. She said this was the best punch
> she's ever had.
>
> I'm just trying to decide which boozie will go good with this.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Mexican Christmas Punch
>
> beverages
>
> koko

I wonder if this is the stuff they pack the parking lots of the Mexican bars
for at 4:00 pm on Christmas day?

Ms P

Mexican Christmas Cookies Rhonda Mexican Cooking 8 01-11-2006 07:50 PM
Christmas Punch (2) Collection Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 24-12-2005 04:07 AM
Christmas Punch Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:19 PM
Christmas Cranberry Punch International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 13-12-2003 04:41 AM
Mexican Christmas Punch A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:24 PM