Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tomato Soup recipes?

Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
"Michael O'Connor" > wrote:

> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

I guess it depends on your definition of "scratch".
I make it from tomato paste, not fresh tomatoes.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael O'Connor" > wrote in message > Does anybody have
any good recipes for making it from scratch?

We had this in Lugano, Switzerland and it's the best I've ever had! I
attempted to recreate it at home. If you decide to try it, I'd find canned
San Marzano tomatoes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomato Basil Soup

Recipe By :Hotel DeLaPaix - Lugano Switzerland
Categories : Ethnic Italian
Soup

1 1/2 pounds tomato pulp
1 small chopped onion
2 quarts vegetarian bouillon
1/4 pound butter
basil leaves
pepper -- to taste
heavy cream -- optional

Fry onions in the butter and then combine vegetable bouillion, tomato pulp
and black pepper.

At the end, add the basil and cream (optional).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Here's the original note and recipe from the hotel. I converted it
from metric.

Thank you very much for your kind e-mail. With pleasure we give you the
famous tomato cream soup receipt :
Receipt for 6 persons :
600 gr of tomato pulp
150 gr sliced onions subtly cut
2 L bouillon of vegetables
120 gr butter
Leaves basil
5 gr ground pepper
Optional : put fresh cream last minute

You have to fry together the sliced onions with the butter and then put
the bouillon of vegetables, tomato pulp and black pepper.

At the end, you have to add the basil and if you want, the fresh cream.

Hoping to have satisfied your request, we wish you a nice evening and
enjoy your meal !!

Hotel De La Paix, Lugano
Tanja and Sandrine
Reservation Department

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael O'Connor wrote:

> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Get back to me when you have found a tomato worth making soup from.

If you have your own garden and are satisfied with your tomatoes the
basic influence (aside from the tomato) in a tomato soup is the stock or
liquid you make it with.

Of course it can be made with water, herbs, bacon & butter as a tomato
puree, or a 'veloute' with a thickened white stock.

Google "Puree Portugaise or Puree de Tomate"

Or denote further interest by a reply to this, the actual recipes are
rather short and easy to type up.

But the essential problem is getting a tomato that has a taste. I find
most commercially available tomatoes to be bland and all but flavorless.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael O'Connor > wrote:

> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Consider pappa col pomodoro, a thick Tuscan tomato-bread soup. Here is
a typical recipe from from _Cucina Italiana_, compiled by the Accademia
Italiana della Cucina.

Pappa col pomodoro

9 ounces stale coarse bread
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (or substitute canned)
4 cloves garlic
1 sprig parsley
2 basil leaves
scant 4 1/2 cups meat stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
freshly ground pepper

Cut the bread into even rounds and toast lightly in the oven. Rinse the
tomatoes, cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. Peel the garlic
cloves and leave whole. Place with the tomatoes, parsley and basil
leaves in a saucepan. Sauté lightly for a few minutes, then put the
contents through a sieve and return to the saucepan (canned tomatoes can
be put through a sieve at once). Add the stock, the toasted bread, the
oil, salt to taste and plenty of pepper. Simmer slowly until the soup
is thick. Serve hot or chilled.

Or make tomato bouillon. The recipe is from _Twelve Months of Monastery
Soups_ by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette. I would also
consider making it with a stock of one's choice instead of water.

Tomato Bouillon

6 tablespoons oil of choice
6 tomatoes, peeled
1 minced onion
1 bay leaf
2 peppercorns
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
heavy cream (optional)

1. Pour the oil into a soup pot. Add the peeled tomatoes, onion, bay
leaf, peppercorns, and celery. Cook slowly (about 15-20 minutes) over
low heat until vegetables are cooked. Remove the bay leaf and put the
vegetables through a sieve or blend in a blender.

2. Melt the butter in the soup pot, add the flour, and mix well. Add
the vegetable mixture, water, salt, and pepper. Heat to a boiling point
while stirring from time to time, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve
the bouillon hot, adding, if you wish, 1 teaspoon heavy cream to each
serving.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 10:48*am, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Didn't we just do this thread to death a couple of months ago?

Lynn in Fargo
"It's Deja Vu all over again!"
Yogi Berra???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael O'Connor" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Yep - here you go.

Dimitri

# 1

1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. water
6 med. tomatoes, peeled and diced fine
1 tbsp. minced parsley
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. diced onions
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf

In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan, cook the onion in butter until tender. Stir in
flour until blended. Gradually stir in water. Add tomatoes and remaining
ingredients. Heat mixture until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 30
minutes. Stir frequently. Add additional water if needed. Discard bay
leaf. Makes 4 servings.

# 2

1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lg. onion, sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp.
dried thyme
4 fresh basil leaves or 1/2 tsp.
dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 lbs. diced fresh ripe tomatoes
or 2 cans (16 oz. each)
Italian-style tomatoes with juice
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3 3/4 c. chicken broth, divided
1 tsp. sugar
1 c. heavy cream

--CROUTONS:--

8 slices day-old French or Italian
bread
1 lg. garlic clove, sliced lengthwise
2 tbsp. olive oil

In a large kettle, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high. Add onions
and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add
the tomatoes and paste. Stir to blend. Simmer 10 minutes. Place the flour
in a small mixing bowl and stir in 1/4 cup chicken broth. Stir into the
tomato mixture. Add the remaining broth. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring
frequently. Allow mixture to cool and run through sieve, food mill or food
processor. Return the pureed mixture to the kettle. Add the sugar and
cream. Heat through, stirring occasionally. To prepare the croutons, rub
the garlic over both sides of the bread. Brush with olive oil and place on
a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until toasted.
Turn and toast other side 2-3 minutes. Just before serving, top each bowl
with one or two croutons. Yield: 8 servings.

# 3

1 sm. onion, finely chopped
6 med. ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded
and chopped
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. heavy cream
2 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. dried sage
Garnish: dollop of sour cream and
chopped parsley

Sauté onion for 5 minutes in butter in a 4 quart saucepan. Add tomatoes,
salt, pepper, baking soda and sage. Sauté for 10 - 12 minutes or until
thickened and pasty. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Taste for
seasoning. Return to heat and heat through. Serve in heated cup or
refrigerate and serve chilled with a dollop of sour cream and chopped
parsley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
"Michael O'Connor" > wrote:

> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Mandatory equipment:
stick blender and a pot to hold the ingredients

Ingredients:
2 28 ounce cans of whole diced tomatoes
1 large bell pepper (color doesn't matter)
1 medium yellow onion
2 Tbsp non-virgin (or virgin if you prefer) olive oil
salt to taste, probably a tablespoon or more
sugar to taste, probably a teaspoon or more

Method:
Coarsely chop one medium onion and one whole bell pepper and saute in
the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
Dump in the canned tomatoes and let cook for forty five minutes or even
more if you forget to check.
Remove from heat and apply the stick blender until you get the
consistency that you want, from real chunky to pretty smooth.
Taste and add salt until the mixture is salty enough, then add sugar if
you don't like the sharp bite until the taste smoothes out to your
liking. Put back on the heat until it's as hot as you want.
For fancy style, you'd add a pint of cream near the end and mix with a
spoon until reasonably uniform.

Approximately 56 ounces of home grown tomatoes (not the ones bought in a
store) would do as well if you coarsely diced them.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 11:48�am, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
> Does anybody have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

I get this soup every time I go to this restaurant. The recipe was
published in the newspaper a few months back. I made it and everyone
who tried said it was the best tomato soup they had ever had. It was
even good cold. The original recipe called for two tablespoons Kosher
salt but I though it was a tad too salty at first. However, after the
soup rested in the refrigerator for a day the flavors seemed to meld
and it didn't taste as salty as it did when it was first made. I used
Roma tomatoes when I made the recipe.

Napa River Grill's Creamy Tomato Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 cup celery, string removed and diced
1 cup onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 (26 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
2 1/2 ounces tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 bouquet garni (4 parsley stems, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon peppercorns
wrapped in a cheesecloth bag)
1-2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Directions:
1 In a large pot, heat the olive oil until shimmery.
2 Add carrots, onions, and celery.
3 Saute until soft, about 5 to 8 minutes.
4 Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
5 Add white wine.
6 Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
7 Add unsalted butter and allow to melt.
8 Stir in flour to form a paste.
9 Add remaining ingredients.
10 Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
11 Remove bouquet garni.
12 Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches with a stand
blender.
13 Force soup through a strainer for a finer texture.
14 Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make vey quick and easy tomato soup using canned tomato stock, rice,
tomato chunks, olive oil, sugar, S & P and basil. Just cook that in a big
saucepot and it's done in about 20 minutes. Tastes very nice and little fuss
for the cook.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."