Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking Basmati rice?

Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the absorbtion
method?

I prefer the absorbtion method as it gives a tastier rice, but it can be
the trickier method.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey wrote on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:27:55 +0000:

> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the
> absorption method?

> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
> it can be the trickier method.

Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.Jim.Silverton.at.venison.not
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:40:57 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Corey wrote on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:27:55 +0000:
>
>> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the
>> absorption method?

>> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
>> it can be the trickier method.

>Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!

Hmm, maybe. What sort of capacity does it have?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Corey wrote on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:27:55 +0000:
>
>> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the
>> absorption method?

>> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
>> it can be the trickier method.

> Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.Jim.Silverton.at.venison.not

Same here - the Rice cooker was one of the BEST KITCHEN investments.

Dimitri

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" wrote

>>> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
>>> it can be the trickier method.

>>Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!

> Hmm, maybe. What sort of capacity does it have?

Depends on the model. Doesnt have to be actually japanese made but of those
that are, I've enjoyed the Zorashi unit.

Most will fix a range of cups and most work best at the middle of that
range. They are sold based on how many cups yield, so a 6 cup rice maker
makes a top amount of 6 cups finished rice with it's best range being the
2-4 cup area. Get one with a warmer cycle as you'll find it useful to start
a pot early and just have it at the ready for several hours if like me. I
make one usually about 11am and finish off the last of it with dinner
(having had some with lunch). Even if just making one pot for going with
dinner, the warmer lets you start it well before you need it and then that
task is out of the way while you do the rest.

One thing though is you will not get the same 'separatist rice' you might be
looking for with this type of cookery. (Separatist rice is when each grain
hates the others and does it's damndest to stay separate). You will instead
get a more authentic 'sticky rice' (though you can make it not totally
sticky and fairly separatist by tweaking the water amounts). Since medium
grain calroses made fairly sticky are our choice, this works for us. We
also use it with long grain basmati's to a fine fairly separatist sort.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:40:57 GMT, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
> > Corey wrote on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:27:55 +0000:
> >
> >> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the
> >> absorption method?

> >> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
> >> it can be the trickier method.

> >Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!

> Hmm, maybe. What sort of capacity does it have?

They come in different sizes and don't need to be Japanese. Have a look
in your local shop(s) stocking Asian goods or Argos, which lists three
cookers.
Got my previous one (smallish) from a friend who didn't want to take it
back to Singapore when she left.

Bought the current one in an Asian supermarket (in the US). Makes 6--8
cups of finished rice.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Corey Richardson > wrote:
> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the absorbtion
> method?

> I prefer the absorbtion method as it gives a tastier rice, but it can be
> the trickier method.

I use either, depending on how much time I have and what I'm doing at the
time and whether I want to flavour the rice.

Boiled - bring salted water to the boil, add rice, start to check after
about 13mins, when done. drain, pour in some cold water and immediately
drain again. One of the things I don't seem to have any trouble with!

Alternatively, for 2 people) 1 cup rice into a casserole, small amount of
salt and/or flavouring as required (marigold stock or "chinese"-type mix,
for instance), 2 cups water, cover and into a slow oven for - oh - about 45
minutes I guess.

Cheers
Jane

--

Jane Gillett : : Totnes, Devon.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the absorbtion
> method?
>
> I prefer the absorbtion method as it gives a tastier rice, but it can be
> the trickier method.

Uncle Ben's rice in a rice cooker is fine, as it doesn't stick. Not
cheap though.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Jane Gillett wrote:
> In article >,
> Corey Richardson > wrote:
>> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the absorbtion
>> method?

>> I prefer the absorbtion method as it gives a tastier rice, but it can be
>> the trickier method.

> I use either, depending on how much time I have and what I'm doing at the
> time and whether I want to flavour the rice.
>
> Boiled - bring salted water to the boil, add rice, start to check after
> about 13mins, when done. drain, pour in some cold water and immediately
> drain again. One of the things I don't seem to have any trouble with!
>
> Alternatively, for 2 people) 1 cup rice into a casserole, small amount of
> salt and/or flavouring as required (marigold stock or "chinese"-type mix,
> for instance), 2 cups water, cover and into a slow oven for - oh - about 45
> minutes I guess.

When my rice cooker died, I started using my microwave for rice - it
worked so well, that I've never bothered to replace the rice cooker.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> When my rice cooker died, I started using my microwave for rice - it
> worked so well, that I've never bothered to replace the rice cooker.

I agree. Less fiddly and works well.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Corey wrote on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:27:55 +0000:
>
>> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the
>> absorption method?

>> I prefer the absorption method as it gives a tastier rice, but
>> it can be the trickier method.

> Use a Japanese rice cooker; it works!

I use a microwave steamer, perfect results every time. Boil kettle, put
water in steamer, add rice. Microwave for 3 minutes, stir. Return to
microwave for 4 minutes. Drain. Every grain separate.
Mine is a 750w microwave, you'll obviously have to experiment if yours is a
higher or lower power.
I never cook rice on the hob now. There's such a temptation to stir it and
ruin it.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> Which method do you prefer, the excess-water method or the absorbtion
> method?
>
> I prefer the absorbtion method as it gives a tastier rice, but it can be
> the trickier method.

Definitely the absorbtion...with any rice, actually.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Basmati Rice machenka eriksen Diabetic 1 09-12-2013 07:41 PM
Basmati Rice [email protected] Diabetic 29 08-12-2013 09:59 PM
Cooking brown basmati rice Manda Ruby General Cooking 21 26-08-2009 11:15 PM
Basmati Rice? Ed Nuxters General Cooking 20 20-12-2004 02:58 PM
Basmati Rice Stark General Cooking 2 07-11-2004 06:31 PM