Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anybody know a good homemade Nacho Recipe

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

like what kind of chess and chips to use and how to prepare it

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 8
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

like what kind of chess and chips to use and how to prepare it

Mom, sis and I used to watch 6 hours of "Dr. Who" every Sunday when we
lived in Colorado. Mom always made a big dish of Nachos to munch while
we watched it.

It's an wonderful memory. :-)

Here is how she did it:

In the bottom of a medium sized glass baking dish (10"x12") dump one can
of refried beans. Flatten it well. Chop a couple of tomatoes and layer
it over that. Place corn tortilla chips liberally over that layer, then
top with lots and lots of shredded cheddar cheese.

Place in the microwave and nuke until all the cheese is well melted.

Top that with alternating stripes of Guacamole and sour cream.

Dip the chips as you pull them out deeply into the beans as you eat
them.

Have extra chips on hand for the leftover cheese and beans.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rocky wrote in
:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

You don't need a recipe for nachos.

Cover a pizza pan with good quality tortilla chips. Coat liberally with
shredded pepper jack. Sprinkle with jalapenos. Heat. Eat. It's that simple.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 9:45*am, elaich wrote:
Rocky wrote om:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

You don't need a recipe for nachos.

Cover a pizza pan with good quality tortilla chips. Coat liberally with
shredded pepper jack. Sprinkle with jalapenos. Heat. Eat. It's that simple.

This is how I make them, although I put the jalapenos under the
cheese.

I also cover the pizza pan with foil and spray it with Pam for easy
cleanup
(and ease of scraping up any dribbles of cheese that I might want to
eat).

Cindy Hamilton
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Dec 3, 9:45 am, elaich wrote:
Rocky wrote om:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

You don't need a recipe for nachos.

Cover a pizza pan with good quality tortilla chips. Coat liberally with
shredded pepper jack. Sprinkle with jalapenos. Heat. Eat. It's that simple.

This is how I make them, although I put the jalapenos under the
cheese.

I also cover the pizza pan with foil and spray it with Pam for easy
cleanup
(and ease of scraping up any dribbles of cheese that I might want to
eat).

Cindy Hamilton

I never thought of using foil and Pam. Great idea. I hate cleaning up
the stuck on cheese afterwards.

-Tracy

Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I also cover the pizza pan with foil and spray it with Pam for easy
cleanup
(and ease of scraping up any dribbles of cheese that I might want to
eat).

Cindy Hamilton

I never thought of using foil and Pam. Great idea. I hate cleaning up
the stuck on cheese afterwards.

-Tracy

I just put the pan in the dishwasher. I wouldn't want to waste foil for
it (both cost of purchasing foil and extra waste in the landfill if not
recycled).
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I also cover the pizza pan with foil and spray it with Pam for easy
cleanup
(and ease of scraping up any dribbles of cheese that I might want to
eat).

Cindy Hamilton

I never thought of using foil and Pam. Great idea. I hate cleaning up
the stuck on cheese afterwards.

-Tracy

I just put the pan in the dishwasher. I wouldn't want to waste foil for
it (both cost of purchasing foil and extra waste in the landfill if not
recycled).

I don't use a dishwasher (unless you count my husband ;-) and I make
nachos maybe 3 or 4 times a year so the few inches of foil doesn't seem
like a huge waste to me and I do recycle.as much as I can. Luckily I
live in a town that takes just about everything for recycling.

Now that I think about it, I don't really use much foil anyway and I
will probably forget the foil anyway the next time I make nachos. ;-)

-Tracy
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" wrote in message
Goomba wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Here's a really radical idea, use a paper plate and the microwave. Takes a
minute and there's nothing to wash and paper is biodegradable.

Ms P

Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

"Tracy" wrote in message
Goomba wrote:
Tracy wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Yea, my son has been known to do that for a snack, but I don't keep
paper plates around much.
When I make nachos, it is usually for a crowd so a paper plate won't
really work anyway.

I like the cheese to get some brown bits - does the micro cheese get
brown at all?

-Tracy
Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:14:53 -0800 (PST):

On Dec 3, 9:45 am, elaich wrote:
Rocky wrote
om:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

You don't need a recipe for nachos.

Cover a pizza pan with good quality tortilla chips. Coat
liberally with shredded pepper jack. Sprinkle with jalapenos.
Heat. Eat. It's that simple.

This is how I make them, although I put the jalapenos under
the cheese.

I also cover the pizza pan with foil and spray it with Pam for
easy cleanup
(and ease of scraping up any dribbles of cheese that I might
want to eat).

I'd also add a little hot salsa or provide it for dipping. Messy
perhaps but good!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:47:33 GMT, "Randy Johnson"
wrote:

My preferred nacho is: fresh tostada chips made by a local tortilla maker,
spread with chipotle flavored re-fried beans, sprinkled with chopped
jalapenos, topped with asadero (also called queso quesadilla, or quesadilla
cheese). Spread 'em around on a cookie sheet and pop into a 300-350F oven
until the cheese melts

Beef or chicken marinated or simmered in taco type seasoning is also a
good addition. I also like some green onions. And serve with sour
cream, salsa and either guac or just avocado slices.

Lou

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Randy Johnson" wrote:

On 3-Dec-2008, Rocky wrote:

Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

like what kind of chess and chips to use and how to prepare it

I suppose that depends on what you consider good; do you like nachos at
sporting events or 7-11/Quicktrip/QuickyMart/etc. stores?

If so, use the cheapest, highest fat-content chips you can find, melt
CheeseWhiz in the microwave, throw a jalapeno slice on each chip and pour on
the CheeseWhiz. These are great if you don't care what you eat, you just
want it quick and easy to stuff down with beer while watching *ball games on
TV.

My preferred nacho is: fresh tostada chips made by a local tortilla maker,
spread with chipotle flavored re-fried beans, sprinkled with chopped
jalapenos, topped with asadero (also called queso quesadilla, or quesadilla
cheese). Spread 'em around on a cookie sheet and pop into a 300-350F oven
until the cheese melts

Finally! Someone else that likes bean nachos. ;-d

Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My preferred nacho is: fresh tostada chips made by a local tortilla maker,
spread with chipotle flavored re-fried beans, sprinkled with chopped
jalapenos, topped with asadero (also called queso quesadilla, or quesadilla
cheese). Spread 'em around on a cookie sheet and pop into a 300-350F oven
until the cheese melts

Beef or chicken marinated or simmered in taco type seasoning is also a
good addition. I also like some green onions. And serve with sour
cream, salsa and either guac or just avocado slices.

Lou

Hell, just make tacos... g Or taco salad.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rocky wrote:
Im looking for a recipe on how to make Nachos

like what kind of chess and chips to use and how to prepare it

Get a #10lb can of Rico's Nacho Cheese sauce:
http://ricos.com/products_cheese_chili.htm

Open a 2.5lb of Rico's round corn chips:
http://ricos.com/products_chips.htm

Pour in the nacho sauce, shake vigorously, and enjoy.

-sw