Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anybody know a good homemade Nacho Recipe

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:54:55 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> >Mom (and I) always put the beans as the bottom layer...

>> I do love them with re-fried beans and I don't care if some get a bit
>> soggy. As usual this group helped me plan dinner. I tossed some
>> black beans on with a few slices of bacon I had leftover from Nancy2's
>> baked potato soup I made Sunday. I'll just sprinkle some of them over
>> the nachos before I bake them and there will be no sogginess. <is that
>> a word?> I've got sour cream, fresh japs, salsa, and loads of
>> cheddar. It's goona be good and I don't care what anyone else says.
>> I might even try some sport peppers on the side too so my butt can
>> burn in the morning. Oh, I'm going to toss some black olives on there
>> too.
>>
>> Lou

>Yum! I put black olives up as a taco ingredient as well.

I did make them and used black olives. They were great. I made them
as I said I was going to and there was nothing soggy. We ate a whole
baking sheet of them. <burp> I had a jap that had started to turn
red and it sure was nice. I've got about 20 more big japs and I've
been googling for a recipe for "Wolf Turds" to make over the weekend.
I've never made them but they seem to be pretty easy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:19:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Randy Johnson wrote:
>
>> My preferred nacho is: fresh tostada chips made by a local tortilla maker,
>> spread with chipotle flavored re-fried beans, sprinkled with chopped
>> jalapenos, topped with asadero (also called queso quesadilla, or quesadilla
>> cheese). Spread 'em around on a cookie sheet and pop into a 300-350F oven
>> until the cheese melts

>Mmm. Wet, soggy nachos. Apparently you've never actually done this (or
>don't remember how it turned out).
>
>Put the beans on the bottom or heat them separately. And wait to put
>the jalapenos until after they're out of the oven.

That sounds more like a taco dip rather than nachos.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:48:14 GMT, "Randy Johnson" >
wrote:

>On 3-Dec-2008, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:47:33 GMT, "Randy Johnson" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >My preferred nacho is: fresh tostada chips made by a local tortilla
>> >maker,
>> >spread with chipotle flavored re-fried beans, sprinkled with chopped
>> >jalapenos, topped with asadero (also called queso quesadilla, or
>> >quesadilla
>> >cheese). Spread 'em around on a cookie sheet and pop into a 300-350F
>> >oven
>> >until the cheese melts

>> Beef or chicken marinated or simmered in taco type seasoning is also a
>> good addition. I also like some green onions. And serve with sour
>> cream, salsa and either guac or just avocado slices.
>>
>> Lou

>I do like chopped black olives, salsa and sour cream on the side for
>enhancement on the way to the mouth.

I used all that and also tried Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce and I really
liked it. Much more than the regular sauce.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> blake murphy > wrote:
>

>> sounds like the notorious 'nachos in a bag.'
>>

> Texans have this dish called Frito Pie. You rib open a bag of
> Fritos along the lengthwise seam and top with chili, diced onions,
> and cheese. Then eat it [with a fork] right out of the bag.
>
> This is one of the reasons they're called Texan's.
>
> -sw

When I was a child, the burger joints served it just like you mentioned,
in the Frito bag. Yesterday, I had a Frito Pie for lunch. Being the
classy type (lol!), I had mine in a bowl. Fritos, chili, cheese,
onions and jalapenos. Yum! My husband is from Long
Island/Pennsylvania, so this is foreign to him. He had chili for lunch.

Becca

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:54:55 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:

> >> I do love them with re-fried beans and I don't care if some get a bit
> >> soggy. As usual this group helped me plan dinner. I tossed some
> >> black beans on with a few slices of bacon I had leftover from Nancy2's
> >> baked potato soup I made Sunday. I'll just sprinkle some of them over
> >> the nachos before I bake them and there will be no sogginess. <is that
> >> a word?> I've got sour cream, fresh japs, salsa, and loads of
> >> cheddar. It's goona be good and I don't care what anyone else says.
> >> I might even try some sport peppers on the side too so my butt can
> >> burn in the morning. Oh, I'm going to toss some black olives on there
> >> too.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >Yum! I put black olives up as a taco ingredient as well.

> I did make them and used black olives. They were great. I made them
> as I said I was going to and there was nothing soggy. We ate a whole
> baking sheet of them. <burp> I had a jap that had started to turn
> red and it sure was nice. I've got about 20 more big japs and I've
> been googling for a recipe for "Wolf Turds" to make over the weekend.
> I've never made them but they seem to be pretty easy.
>
> Lou

Mexican food is always just as good burped as when it went down. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Dec 3, 3:50 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:

> That would depend entirely on where you live. If you live in a severe
> drought area paper plates are a good thing.

You're just shifting the problem from where you use the paper plate
to where the paper was processed. Of course, pollution that is
not in your backyard isn't pollution at all, is it?

I live in Michigan, smack in the center of the Great Lakes. Our waste
treatment
plant claims that the water leaving it is cleaner than the water
entering the
upstream drinking water treatment plant. That's good for the millions
of
people downstream (Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, etc.) that
drink what
we send them.

> It's possible of course to cook nachos in the microwave on a real plate.

Not for me. I abhor microwaved food.

Cindy Hamilton

Ever hear of the Dust Bowl? I live near the center of the Dust Bowl. Last
year this area got even less rain than the dryest year during the Dust Bowl.
*We* conserve water.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:27:08 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Dec 4, 1:18*am, sf > wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:35:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >(If things biodegraded in landfills, all of the ski slopes
>> >in southeast Michigan would collapse.)

>> Ski slopes? *HA! *When I moved from Michigan, the Eastern side was
>> flat.

>And it still is. Mount Brighton is built on an old landfill. That's
>why people call it Mount Trashmore.

That made me chuckle. Michiganders have a dry humor that I
appreciate.

> I don't think that Pine Knob was, though.

I had a hard time picturing Pine Knob being as tall as Knob Hill (338
feet) in San Francisco. So, I looked it up.

Pine Knob:
Summit Elevation: 1300'
Vertical Drop: 300'

They're about the same drop, but I don't know how the angle of their
slopes compare.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:02:15 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:27:08 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 4, 1:18*am, sf > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:35:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Ski slopes? *HA! *When I moved from Michigan, the Eastern side was
>>> flat.

>>And it still is. Mount Brighton is built on an old landfill. That's
>>why people call it Mount Trashmore.
>>

>That made me chuckle. Michiganders have a dry humor that I
>appreciate.
>
>> I don't think that Pine Knob was, though.

>I had a hard time picturing Pine Knob being as tall as Knob Hill (338
>feet) in San Francisco. So, I looked it up.
>
>Pine Knob:
>Summit Elevation: 1300'
>Vertical Drop: 300'
>
>They're about the same drop, but I don't know how the angle of their
>slopes compare.

I did an outdoor performance at Pine Knob. I swallowed a moth while
singing.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:09:12 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>I did an outdoor performance at Pine Knob. I swallowed a moth while
>singing.

Oh, NO! LOL

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 7:44*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> On Dec 3, 3:50 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
>
> > That would depend entirely on where you live. If you live in a severe
> > drought area paper plates are a good thing.

> You're just shifting the problem from where you use the paper plate
> to where the paper was processed. *Of course, pollution that is
> not in your backyard isn't pollution at all, is it?
>
> I live in Michigan, smack in the center of the Great Lakes. *Our waste
> treatment
> plant claims that the water leaving it is cleaner than the water
> entering the
> upstream drinking water treatment plant. *That's good for the millions
> of
> people downstream (Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, etc.) that
> drink what
> we send them.
>
> > It's possible of course to cook nachos in the microwave on a real plate..

> Not for me. *I abhor microwaved food.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> Ever hear of the Dust Bowl? *I live near the center of the Dust Bowl. *Last
> year this area got even less rain than the dryest year during the Dust Bowl.
> *We* conserve water.

Maybe you should move to someplace where there's more water. Bring
some jobs with you. We need 'em.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 7:44 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>
> > You're just shifting the problem from where you use the paper plate

> to where the paper was processed. Of course, pollution that is
> not in your backyard isn't pollution at all, is it?
>
> I live in Michigan, smack in the center of the Great Lakes. Our waste
> treatment
> plant claims that the water leaving it is cleaner than the water
> entering the
> upstream drinking water treatment plant. That's good for the millions
> of
> people downstream (Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, etc.) that
> drink what
> we send them.
>
> > It's possible of course to cook nachos in the microwave on a real plate.

> Not for me. I abhor microwaved food.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> Ever hear of the Dust Bowl? I live near the center of the Dust Bowl. Last
> year this area got even less rain than the dryest year during the Dust
> Bowl.
> *We* conserve water.

Maybe you should move to someplace where there's more water. Bring
some jobs with you. We need 'em.

Cindy Hamilton

------

Why would I want to do that? We have jobs. If you have water you have bugs
and humidity. No thanks. Besides, I'm only 2 hours away from kids,
grandkids and parents here.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 12:31*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> On Dec 5, 7:44 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
>

> > "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> > > You're just shifting the problem from where you use the paper plate

> > to where the paper was processed. Of course, pollution that is
> > not in your backyard isn't pollution at all, is it?

> > I live in Michigan, smack in the center of the Great Lakes. Our waste
> > treatment
> > plant claims that the water leaving it is cleaner than the water
> > entering the
> > upstream drinking water treatment plant. That's good for the millions
> > of
> > people downstream (Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, etc.) that
> > drink what
> > we send them.

> > > It's possible of course to cook nachos in the microwave on a real plate.

> > Not for me. I abhor microwaved food.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> > Ever hear of the Dust Bowl? I live near the center of the Dust Bowl. Last
> > year this area got even less rain than the dryest year during the Dust
> > Bowl.
> > *We* conserve water.

> Maybe you should move to someplace where there's more water. *Bring
> some jobs with you. *We need 'em.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ------
>
> Why would I want to do that? *We have jobs. *If you have water you have bugs
> and humidity. *No thanks. *Besides, I'm only 2 hours away from kids,
> grandkids and parents here.

Ok. But right now we don't have much in the way of humidity, as it's
about 20 F
here. (I'm pretty sure that if you didn't have all those other
factors keeping you
where you are, that would clinch it.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:31:34 -0600, "Ms P" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Why would I want to do that? We have jobs. If you have water you have bugs
>and humidity. No thanks.

<snip>

Not when the water is one mile thataway <pointing out the window> in
the form of the Pacific Ocean :-) OTOH, we are freezing our butts off
this week - doesn't look like it's going to get over 70°F and it might
even *rain* this weekend, dang!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...in SoCal

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:23:51 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Not when the water is one mile thataway <pointing out the window> in
>the form of the Pacific Ocean :-) OTOH, we are freezing our butts off
>this week - doesn't look like it's going to get over 70°F and it might
>even *rain* this weekend, dang!

Awww....you poor thang you.....

We are supposed to be down near 20 degrees tonight...but it will
probably be colder. Snow showers tomorrow morning.... Today, I saw
the Sandias dusted with snow....

I have my long johns on...

Christine, who is trying to decide what to cook tonight...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> OTOH, we are freezing our butts off
> this week - doesn't look like it's going to get over 70øF and it might
> even *rain* this weekend, dang!

Oh, you poor thing. It was 17 degrees here last night, frost like an inch
of snow. And I live in California too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:31:34 -0600, "Ms P" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Why would I want to do that? We have jobs. If you have water you have
>>bugs
>>and humidity. No thanks.

> <snip>
>
> Not when the water is one mile thataway <pointing out the window> in
> the form of the Pacific Ocean :-) OTOH, we are freezing our butts off
> this week - doesn't look like it's going to get over 70°F and it might
> even *rain* this weekend, dang!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...in SoCal
>
> --

Well okay, so you don't have that much humidity. But there's way too many
people there for my taste.

Be careful in that rain! It's snowing and the wind is blowing hard here
today. I think it's going to be soup or stew or maybe chili for supper
today. I'll have to check and see what I can throw together without going
to the store!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:55:55 -0600, "Ms P" >
wrote:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:31:34 -0600, "Ms P" >
>> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>>
>>>Why would I want to do that? We have jobs. If you have water you have
>>>bugs
>>>and humidity. No thanks.

>> <snip>
>>
>> Not when the water is one mile thataway <pointing out the window> in
>> the form of the Pacific Ocean :-) OTOH, we are freezing our butts off
>> this week - doesn't look like it's going to get over 70°F and it might
>> even *rain* this weekend, dang!
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...in SoCal
>>
>> --
>>

>Well okay, so you don't have that much humidity. But there's way too many
>people there for my taste.

Hey, does that mean more people equals fewer bugs? I certainly hope
so!

>Be careful in that rain! It's snowing and the wind is blowing hard here
>today. I think it's going to be soup or stew or maybe chili for supper
>today. I'll have to check and see what I can throw together without going
>to the store!

Oh, man. You sound like me on a foggy day.
<ok, I'm a wimp - don't rub it in>

Mae West