Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default Induction Cooktop

We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.
I would like to hear all the pros and cons about making this change.
Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

trvlnmny > wrote in news:f2e4d419-7250-4897-97a5-
:

> We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
> burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
> Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.
> I would like to hear all the pros and cons about making this change.
> Thanks for any and all help.

I only have an induction hotplate and I am quite impressed with it.

Induction has it hands down over ceramic....Other than the price the only
con is it requires pans that are magnitizable...I.E. that is that a
magnite will stick to them. There has been some unlucky people who get
units that quit early so pick a reputable dealer with a good warrantee.

Induction is as fast and controlable as gas and gives better even heat
disperstion over the entire bottom of the pan...no hot or cold spots.
Maybe even more controlable at the low heat end than gas is.

Again the only cons are the price and that you need special pans. Pans
that magnites can stick to, so no aluminum or stainless steel, only iron
and steel based pans. You can get these fairly cheaply and they can be the
non-stick type.

The actual induction burner does not produce any heat but may be warm due
to the reflected back heat from the pan, so clean up should be easier.
Another plus is they are very energy efficient. Plus they are less of a
fire hazard, because a burner won't heat surrounding things if turned on
and forgotten.

You can get discs of steel to put on the burner or pan so you can use your
other non ferrious pans, but this is a stupid way to go...using the burner
to heat a disc that in turn heats your pan.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

trvlnmny > wrote:

> We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
> burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
> Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.
> I would like to hear all the pros and cons about making this change.
> Thanks for any and all help.

See
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/fa594f3c58a0ad4c>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"trvlnmny" > wrote in message
> We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
> burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
> Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.
> I would like to hear all the pros and cons about making this change.
> Thanks for any and all help.

If I were installing it into my countertop (I'm sure this the only way to
buy an induction cooktop with more than one burner? or am I mistaken?) I
would read many reviews of the different brands available to you if you live
in the U.S.

I recall reading at one time a year or so ago, one particular countertop
brand (four burners) here in the U.S., (and there weren't many brands
available), that had some not-so-good reviews. That's pretty frightening
for something that costs so much.

I do have a couple of induction hobs that I like. I started to use one a
while ago outside, but got rained out, and finished up inside. Beef barley
soup/stew. I prefer cooking meat outdoors - like our fore'bears.'

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:04:12 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>trvlnmny > wrote in news:f2e4d419-7250-4897-97a5-
:

>> We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
>> burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
>> Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.

>Again the only cons are the price and that you need special pans. Pans
>that magnites can stick to, so no aluminum or stainless steel, only iron
>and steel based pans.

Not true. Some manufacturers, including All Clad, have recently reformulated all
their stainless steel pots and pans to be induction-compatible. Check your
stainless steel pot/pan base with a magnet to be sure.

And some aluminum pot and pan manufacturers, including Circulon, have recently
added new aluminum lines including thick steel-encapsulated bases which are
induction-compatible. I recently bought an "Infinite Circulon" 7-qt. stock pot
(with the locking strainer lid: http://tinyurl.com/5kt2uh) which works
beautifully with my induction hob.

I've never cared for Circulon, but this pot has very wide, comfortable handles,
and is very stable to handle when full of liquid. Now we'll see what the
interior bottom looks like after its first batch of my high-powered chili... 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:04:12 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> trvlnmny > wrote in news:f2e4d419-7250-4897-97a5-
>> :
>>
>>> We presently have a glasstop ceramic cooktop. We have now had a second
>>> burner burn out and are thinking of replacing it with an Induction
>>> Cooktop. We are using All Clad Stainless cookware.

>> Again the only cons are the price and that you need special pans. Pans
>> that magnites can stick to, so no aluminum or stainless steel, only iron
>> and steel based pans.

> Not true. Some manufacturers, including All Clad, have recently reformulated all
> their stainless steel pots and pans to be induction-compatible. Check your
> stainless steel pot/pan base with a magnet to be sure.
>
> And some aluminum pot and pan manufacturers, including Circulon, have recently
> added new aluminum lines including thick steel-encapsulated bases which are
> induction-compatible. I recently bought an "Infinite Circulon" 7-qt. stock pot
> (with the locking strainer lid:
http://tinyurl.com/5kt2uh) which works
> beautifully with my induction hob.

I would have to be convinced that induction was a near miracle before I
would replace my Magnalite pans. Some of mine are over 50 years old and
still perform as designed.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

> If I were installing it into my countertop (I'm sure this the only
> way to buy an induction cooktop with more than one burner? or am I
> mistaken?) I would read many reviews of the different brands
> available to you if you live in the U.S.
>
> I recall reading at one time a year or so ago, one particular
> countertop brand (four burners) here in the U.S., (and there weren't
> many brands available), that had some not-so-good reviews. That's
> pretty frightening for something that costs so much.
>
> I do have a couple of induction hobs that I like. I started to use
> one a while ago outside, but got rained out, and finished up inside. Beef
> barley soup/stew. I prefer cooking meat outdoors - like our
> fore'bears.'

Dee Dee! How lovely to see you posting)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> If I were installing it into my countertop (I'm sure this the only
>> way to buy an induction cooktop with more than one burner? or am I
>> mistaken?) I would read many reviews of the different brands
>> available to you if you live in the U.S.
>>
>> I recall reading at one time a year or so ago, one particular
>> countertop brand (four burners) here in the U.S., (and there weren't
>> many brands available), that had some not-so-good reviews. That's
>> pretty frightening for something that costs so much.
>>
>> I do have a couple of induction hobs that I like. I started to use
>> one a while ago outside, but got rained out, and finished up inside. Beef
>> barley soup/stew. I prefer cooking meat outdoors - like our
>> fore'bears.'

> Dee Dee! How lovely to see you posting)

I guess you see me on the cross-posting; I don't post to rfc; just bread,
wine, coffee & equipment.
I don't see you often enough even when I do occasionally read the rfc at
google.
Ta Ta, dear.
Dee dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:55:21 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>>

>> Dee Dee! How lovely to see you posting)

> I guess you see me on the cross-posting; I don't post to rfc; just bread,
> wine, coffee & equipment.
> I don't see you often enough even when I do occasionally read the rfc at
> google.
> Ta Ta, dear.
> Dee dee

come back, dee! we can change!