Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banana bread falls apart

I have a banana bread recipe that's served me pretty well. Today, I
made it with two modifications. 1) I added 1/2 cup of oil instead of
the 1/4 that the recipe calls for (this was by accident), and 2) I
added about 2 cups of chopped walnuts to the recipe. The loaf seemed
to come out Ok, but when I cut into it, completely fell apart. Even a
thick slice doesn't hold together. Is this because of the extra oil,
or the walnuts? Also, will refrigerating the loaf overnight remedy
the problem?

Much thanks,
Irina
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:32:38 -0800 (PST), Irina Paley
> wrote:

>I have a banana bread recipe that's served me pretty well. Today, I
>made it with two modifications. 1) I added 1/2 cup of oil instead of
>the 1/4 that the recipe calls for (this was by accident), and 2) I
>added about 2 cups of chopped walnuts to the recipe. The loaf seemed
>to come out Ok, but when I cut into it, completely fell apart. Even a
>thick slice doesn't hold together. Is this because of the extra oil,
>or the walnuts? Also, will refrigerating the loaf overnight remedy
>the problem?

Probably too many nuts. My DIL made a pumpkin roll with nuts on the
outside (baked on the bottom) and it cracked, but it didn't fall
apart.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Nov 2008 07:14:12p, sf told us...

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:32:38 -0800 (PST), Irina Paley
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a banana bread recipe that's served me pretty well. Today, I
>>made it with two modifications. 1) I added 1/2 cup of oil instead of
>>the 1/4 that the recipe calls for (this was by accident), and 2) I
>>added about 2 cups of chopped walnuts to the recipe. The loaf seemed
>>to come out Ok, but when I cut into it, completely fell apart. Even a
>>thick slice doesn't hold together. Is this because of the extra oil,
>>or the walnuts? Also, will refrigerating the loaf overnight remedy
>>the problem?
>>

> Probably too many nuts. My DIL made a pumpkin roll with nuts on the
> outside (baked on the bottom) and it cracked, but it didn't fall
> apart.

Another thing to consider with all quickbreads is that the best texture and
uniform moisture level is achieved by cooling thoroughly, then wrapping
securely in plastic wrap. They should be stored overnight either in the
refrigerator or at room temperature. This will improve flavor, texture,
and slicing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of St. Andrew, First Sunday of Advent
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 3dys 4hrs 40mins
Fatal Error Using Mouse. Replace and Bury Operator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> Probably too many nuts.

Kinda reminds me of RFC. We're all just a big fruitcake.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:15:42 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>We're all just a big fruitcake.

LOL

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Irina Paley" > wrote in message
>I have a banana bread recipe that's served me pretty well. Today, I
> made it with two modifications. 1) I added 1/2 cup of oil instead of
> the 1/4 that the recipe calls for (this was by accident), and 2) I
> added about 2 cups of chopped walnuts to the recipe. The loaf seemed
> to come out Ok, but when I cut into it, completely fell apart. Even a
> thick slice doesn't hold together. Is this because of the extra oil,
> or the walnuts? Also, will refrigerating the loaf overnight remedy
> the problem?
>
> Much thanks,
> Irina

I would figure on the nuts more than the oil. Try wrapping tightly in
plastic wrap and refrigerating overnight and see if it doesn't hold together
a little better. With even a 9" loaf pan, I wouldn't use more than a cup of
nuts for a quickbread. Good luck, and if it doesn't hold together better
tomorrow, you can always crumble it and toast the crumbs for a banana and
caramel pudding topping!!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>
>> Probably too many nuts.

> Kinda reminds me of RFC. We're all just a big fruitcake.

Hey, speak for yourself buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 2:27*am, "Nexis" > wrote:
> I would figure on the nuts more than the oil. Try wrapping tightly in
> plastic wrap and refrigerating overnight and see if it doesn't hold together
> a little better. With even a 9" loaf pan, I wouldn't use more than a cup of
> nuts for a quickbread. Good luck, and if it doesn't hold together better
> tomorrow, you can always crumble it and toast the crumbs for a banana and
> caramel pudding topping!!
>
> kimberly
> --http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

You were right, Kimberly. I made another loaf today. This time, I
intentionally used 1/2 cup of oil, but left out the nuts, and the
bread came out just fine. Oh well.

gluten free bread falls MisterB Baking 1 25-11-2007 09:02 PM
Banana bread MareCat General Cooking 0 18-11-2007 09:04 PM
Banana Bread kilikini General Cooking 45 02-07-2007 05:02 PM
my bread falls flat [email protected] Baking 16 01-03-2006 08:03 AM
Banana Bread Phil Diabetic 9 19-04-2004 02:59 AM