Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Glug of Oilve Oil"?

Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
should I use?

example
"Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

jmcquown wrote:

> Gotta love those obscure cooking terms A glug is pretty much two
> tablespoonfuls. Depends on the exact recipe, of course. Could be three
> tablespoonfuls depending on the amount of ingredients.

Or the mouth size of the bottle!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
> cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
> should I use?

Americana cookery is inexact at times and uses terms like this when exact
measuring isnt needed. A 'glug' is about when you would hear the bottle
'glug' back at you when pouring fast. If you want to be pendantic, yes the
size of the bottle matters ;-)

Call it 2-3 TB when talking liquid oils.

In my recipes, I also use 'squizzle' for Tiparos patis. You pinhole the top
to make a squeezable bit and a squizzle is one squeeze. Amount about 1/4
TS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote:

>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
>> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil>>
>> should I use?
>>
>> example
>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

> It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
> doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

Amen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:10:54 +0100:

>>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he
>>> keeps using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this
>>> mean? How much oil>> should I use?
>>>
>>> example
>>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of
>>> olive oil"

>> It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
>> doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the result really
does not depend much on the amount of oil so silly quantities can be
given.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 9:17�pm, wrote:
> Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
> cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
> should I use?
>
> example
> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

That requires the same mathematical formula one uses in determining
how much to butter bread. According to pythagoras the parameters of
oil glugs is soley dependant on the circumference of your waistline
divided by the volume of your ass when you look in the mirror.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
news

>>> It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
>>> doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

> I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the result really
> does not depend much on the amount of oil so silly quantities can be
> given.

Are you an engineer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" wrote:
>
>>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
>>> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil>>
>>> should I use?
>>>
>>> example
>>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

>> It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
>> doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

> Amen

It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered measuring oil for
frying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberfat" wrote:

> It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered
> measuring oil for frying.

That's why your ass is so huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:19:40 -0500:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message news

>> I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the
>> result really does not depend much on the amount of oil so
>> silly quantities can be given.
>>

>Are you an engineer?

No, now retired but trained as a scientist. I usually succesfully ignore
most specifications of amounts of oil while using a non-stick pan. I
don't deep fry.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> "cyberfat" wrote:
> >
> > It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered
> > measuring oil for frying.

> That's why your ass is so huge.

Welp, it looks like our cyberpussie flaming is getting off to an *early*
start today...

<chortle>

;-]

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote
> No, now retired but trained as a scientist.

I knew it was something like that! Liberal arts and design folks tend to be
"broad strokes" types.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" wrote:
>
>>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
>>> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil>>
>>> should I use?
>>>
>>> example
>>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

>> It;s a glug, the way real cooks do it. No one who knows what they are
>> doing measures oil to put in a frying pan.

> Amen

Seconded. I'm not even a real cook, but I know exact measurements aren't
required in most things, baking excluded.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> On Nov 24, 9:17�pm, wrote:
>> Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
>> cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
>> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
>> should I use?
>>
>> example
>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

> That requires the same mathematical formula one uses in determining
> how much to butter bread. According to pythagoras the parameters of
> oil glugs is soley dependant on the circumference of your waistline
> divided by the volume of your ass when you look in the mirror.

Do you look at your ass in the mirror often?
I mostly look at my ever expanding abdomen.
Who cares what my ass looks like.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:19:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>news

>> I guess, it's one of those times where the quality of the result really
>> does not depend much on the amount of oil so silly quantities can be
>> given.
>>

>Are you an engineer?

I don't think so. Engineers love to measure/quantify things.

Who lost the attributions? It wasn't me, it wasn't Cyber, it wasn't
Giusi, it wasn't Dave.... ok, who's the F-up?????

You'd better slink away, you COWARD. LOL

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:28:45 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered measuring oil for
>frying.

You can fry with a glug? For me, a glug is saute only. I wouldn't
want to fry with OO anyway.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:02:00 -0500, TFM®
> wrote:

>Now a snort would be a double shot of whisky.

Do you think a bar tender would understand what I wanted if I told him
a wanted a snort of Maker's Mark? Not kidding, btw.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:02:00 -0500, TFM®
> > wrote:
>
>>Now a snort would be a double shot of whisky.

> Do you think a bar tender would understand what I wanted if I told him
> a wanted a snort of Maker's Mark? Not kidding, btw.

No. Not unless you were a frequent patron.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:02:00 -0500, TFM®
> > wrote:
>
>>Now a snort would be a double shot of whisky.

> Do you think a bar tender would understand what I wanted if I told him
> a wanted a snort of Maker's Mark? Not kidding, btw.

Sure she would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:28:45 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's odd, I measure most things but have never considered measuring oil
>>for
>>frying.

> You can fry with a glug? For me, a glug is saute only. I wouldn't
> want to fry with OO anyway.

I only use Olive oil. I keep extra light and extra virgin, use the former to
fry. What I am usually doing is browning to braise. For seafood I use
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
C.D C.D is offline

"TFM®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 24, 9:17�pm, wrote:
>>> Would like your help if anyone tried cooking from Jamie Oliver's
>>> cookbook. There are several recipe in his cookbook (jamie at home)
>>> when he mentions using olive oil without the measurement, he keeps
>>> using the word "Glug of olive oil", what does this mean? How much oil
>>> should I use?
>>>
>>> example
>>> "Get a really large frying pan on the heat and add a glug of olive oil"

>> That requires the same mathematical formula one uses in determining
>> how much to butter bread. According to pythagoras the parameters of
>> oil glugs is soley dependant on the circumference of your waistline
>> divided by the volume of your ass when you look in the mirror.
>>

> Do you look at your ass in the mirror often?
> I mostly look at my ever expanding abdomen.
> Who cares what my ass looks like. TFM®

it's apparent sheldon does.

--
best regards,